- Text Size +

Wood scraped loudly as Tenn was drug across the village from his cell. Unable to walk, two rangers were forced to haul him from his cell. He clung weakly to their shoulders and avoided meeting the eyes of any of the villagers who had gathered around the spectacle his little procession had created. Their judgement was as harsh a wound as any he’d received the night before. Fortunately the distance to the elder’s lodging was short and he was not forced to endure their stares for long.


Entering the council lodge his knees banged roughly into the floor as he was thrown before three elderly men. The village council stared down from their raised platform and Tenn had to lift his head to meet their gaze. Elder Theo, a bald scalped man with wisps of white hair floating over his ears looked at him with brows raised archly and spoke first. “I expect you were grateful for your rescue,” he said with a warm smile. He maintained a sort of doddering old charm that belied his cunning, manipulative nature. Tenn knew him well, as all the village knew the elders. Rathmus and Lemnel, the pair that sat to either side of him were even older than Theo and all but useless. Rathmus had long ago gone to fat and was a well known glutton and drunk- he’d be caught sleeping off his excesses at more than one council session. Unfortunately, that didn’t seem likely to happen now. The old man’s beady eyes glared at Tenn from betwixt his meaty jowls.


To the opposite side sat a man as slender as Rathmus was fat. Cataracted and feeble, Lemnel’s long beard bounced against his knees as his head bobbed up and down- as though he was in incessant agreement with everything. If there had ever been a time where his wisdom had exceeded his age- it was long past.


Theo was the true leader of the village and the one Tenn would answer to.


Tenn opened his mouth but a ranger answered before he could speak. “He attempted to escape, honored elder.”

“Escape captivity? Well one would hope so.” Theo answered amiably.


“You mistake my meaning elder, he tried to escape his rescue.”

“He’s lying!” Tenn hissed.


“We witnessed him speaking to-” the ranger began.


Elder Theo held up a hand. “I have heard your account. I will speak to the fledgling now, leave us.”


“Honored Elder he is a dangerous-”


“He is beaten half to death and required assistance to stand. He offers no threat here.” The elder’s tone made it clear the issue was settled. The rangers exited. When the door shut behind the last one the Elder Theo spoke again, “You have been through much these last weeks fledgling, I would hear your story.”


With a sigh of relief, Tenn began his tale. Rathmus interrupted at times to fling outlandish accusations at him like “You should have easily escaped the notice of someone so large, you must have wanted to be found.” and “You expect us to believe she was that large before she found you? Her kind doesn’t grow unless little fools like you guide them to food.” and on and on. Red faced and angry spittle flew from the fat elder’s lips with each recrimination. Tenn noticed Rathmus’ speech beginning to slur and hoped the other would notice as well. After each interruption Elder Theo would patiently raise his hand for silence and then ask Tenn to continue.


Tenn left out a few of the more embarrassing details of his relationship with Sepia, but he was adamant about the details he felt would exonerate him from any wrong doing. For his part Elder Theo mostly “mmm’ed” and “aah’ed” at appropriate moments and appeared to be weighing Tenn’s account with some sincerity. When Tenn got to the “rescue” Theo held up his hand again for silence. “So you lead her to where the River Xerxes enters our lands and hoped she would be satisfied with that?”


Tenn nodded.


“Why lead her to one of the grand gardens then?”

“It was a mistake.” Tenn said honestly. “I was afraid of what she would do if I defied her, and I knew we could survive the winter without one of the gardens so I…” Tenn hung his head.


“I see.” Elder Theo said evenly.


“I am sorry Elder, I truly am. But what was done to her people was also wrong.”


Rathmus’s red face got even redder. “You stand accused of treason and you dare defend the monster that threatens us?”


“She’s not a monster!” Tenn shouted. It was the wrong thing to say, but it was almost worth it so see Rathmus’s beady eyes attempt to bulge out of his skull.


Elder Theo cut in with a reproachful look. “Do you understand which manner of creature held you captive fledgling?” he said patronizingly.

“Do you?” Tenn shot back, unthinking.


Elder Theo shook his head sadly and rubbed his temple. “I wish that I did not. Truly, I do. Our people know them as Lamia. Even when young they are larger than us, but their diet can increase them to truly terrifying sizes- as you have no doubt seen yourself.”

“There are many creatures in the jungle that are large and terrifying.” Tenn countered.


“True, but none so much as the Lamia.” the elder said solemnly. He began a tale: “Long ago our people lived in one great city in the canopy. From lowest branch to highest leaf was our domain and it was a time of great peace. A single Lamia ended all that. One Lamia grown massive by feasting on the lesser creature’s of the jungle brought it all to violence and destruction. She brought war upon us without provocation. Numbers beyond counting fell prey to her before she was finally stopped, but by then it was too late. The empire was in ruin and the small rural villages, like ours, were all that remained of our once great people. This story has been handed down to generation after generation of village elders, so that we may be ever vigilant against our ancient foe.” Lemnel’s head bobbed vigorously.


Tenn could hardly believe what he was hearing. A great empire? An ancient war? “Why have I never heard of these things,” suddenly remembering himself Tenn added, “Honored Elder?”


Elder Theo thumbed his chin thoughtfully for a moment before speaking. “In the east, where the Lamia come from they tell the story often, but we have not seen them so deep in the jungle for many years.” When Tenn continued to look at him expectantly he said, “There was no need. It would only alarm everyone. Though now I fear that was a dire error, for you have aided one. One who might bring ruin to our humble village much like the empire of old.”


“You’ve doomed us, fledgling.” Rathmus spat. Lemnel’s head continued to bob in agreement.


Tenn felt stricken and uncertain. His body ached, the bone in his leg lanced pain as he fidgeted beneath Elder Theo’s gaze. “I didn’t know.” he said softly.


“An unfortunate circumstance.” Elder Theo said as though that settled the matter.


A sudden idea struck him and Tenn spoke hurriedly, “Let me go back. Let me explain. She isn’t what you think, she-”


“You dare ask for freedom?” Rathmus roared drunkenly.


Theo held up a hand for speaking before speaking. “It cannot be, fledgling. Even though it may not have been your intent, you have endangered us all. You will be punished as a traitor... may the gods have mercy on your soul.”


Tenn slumped over, his hands pale and shaking against the floor. He looked once more into the eyes of the elders. Rathmus, lips curled in a vindictive smile. Theo remained tight-lipped, nursing his temple with a look of distracted irritation- as though condemning Tenn to death was an annoyance best forgotten. Tenn turned to Lemnel and the old man’s cataracted eyes met his. The elder’s mouth wobbled opened to speak.


A tense moment passed.


Hope welled up in Tenn, blind and desperate. Then a trail of spittle ran down the old man’s quavering lips, his head began to bob, and his mouth slapped shut. Tenn hung his head, no longer able to look at them. He had no allies here. Not in the village. Not anywhere.


He was hauled back to his cell, sick with despair.


***

Tenn woke to a sharp pain in his ribs. His eyes opened to darkness and the silhouette of someone standing over him. “Wake up, worm.” a female’s voice hissed. Tenn recognized the voice as belonging to Illya, one of the last people he wanted to see. She loomed over him threateningly, and Tenn was reminded of countless other times he’d been in similar situations. She was taller and stronger- and had been since they were children. Back then she had often used his slight stature and weakness to prop herself up in front of the other children. But there was no one else here now. “I should have known you would betray us the first chance you got,” she said.


“I didn’t-” Another kick drove the air from Tenn’s lungs.


“Bite your tongue, traitor. I didn’t come here to listen to your lies.” Tenn groaned in response. “I’m here to make sure you get the punishment you deserve.” She delivered another kick to his body and this time something broke. Tenn howled in pain and curled against the floor as much as his bound limbs would allow. A voice came from outside, “Keep him quiet or we’ll wake someone up. We don’t want the elders hearing of this.”


Illya half turned and said, “They won’t hear. Who would tell them? No one in the village will help him. He’s dead tomorrow anyway, we’re just making sure he gets what he deserves.” Her words seemed to placate them and llya turned back.


Another fierce kick wrenched wail of agony from Tenn’s battered body. More followed after that, over and over until Tenn lost count. His mind began to wander, desperately seeking refuge from the pain. He had wanted to be a ranger. To bring prosperity to his people. He had yearned to see joy in their faces when he returned with rare trophies and exotic tales. They would have gathered around while he told the tales of his travails and triumphs.


A particularly violent kick sent the meager contents of Tenn’s stomach splattering onto the floor. His mind clung unmercifully to consciousness even as his vision dimmed. Bitterness enflamed his thoughts like the bile burning his throat. All he had wanted was acceptance but why? For what? How could he have ever wanted to help these despicable people? He suddenly hoped Elder Theo’s story was true. How great would it be if they were wiped out by an ancient boogeyman.


A hysterical laugh echoed in his cell.


“What’s so funny?” Illya sounded annoyed. Tenn opened his mouth speak and hacked up whatever was left in his stomach. Illya’s mouth twisted into a cruel smirk. “You know what,” she said. “I won’t deprive the rest of the village of watching you die but I’m going to make you wish I had.”


Somewhere below a branch snapped and a tremor ran through tree.


Voices outside began speaking all at once. Tenn could not make out what any of them were saying but they sounded alarmed.  A resounding boom echoed through the darkness and in the distance birds took flight in a cacophony of frightened squawking. A rhythmic vibration began pounding up from the ground, drawing closer.


The sound approached so quickly Tenn barely had time to guess at what might be making it. “O-Oh god!” Someone outside whimpered. Suddenly, everyone was shouting. Illya whirled around and marched out the door, saying “What the hell is going on?” Screams were her only answer. Seconds later the roof of Tenn’s cell was ripped off, raining splinters and debris as it was lifted up and away into the darkness.


Sepia loomed like a colossus, the contours of her vast body lost in the darkness.


Her slitted eyes reflected moonlight like golden mirrors in the darkness. Her mouth opened, flashing massive teeth. “Found you,” she said. Tenn looked at her, unable to speak. “I told you what would happen if you ran away.”


He had to tell her what had happened. He started to reply but his lungs didn’t seem to want to fill with air. A heart-stopping moment passed before a look of confusion washed over Sepia’s face. “What happened?” she said as she reached down and effortlessly snapped the ropes binding him to the floor. Her fingers were almost gentle as she lifted him up out of the cell.


Her eyes flashed with some unreadable emotion. Whatever he’d seen was quickly replaced by anger. “Who did this?” Being unable to voice the answer to that question filled Tenn with rage. Their eyes met and for a moment his anger matched hers. Sepia’s eyebrows raised in surprise. Her reaction bolstered his resolve. So what if I die, Tenn thought bitterly. Better to die than to live without a home. Better to be killed by her than tortured to death by my own people.


Somewhere in the village, people were shouting.


Lacking the strength his rage required, Tenn hung his head and waited for the end. It wasn’t long before Sepia’s breath was hot on his back, smelling sweetly of plums. He knew something inside of him had broken; it was becoming harder and harder to breathe. His body was a nest of agony and he doubted he could stand if he tried. The end, he hoped, would be quick.


Fingers propped him up, positioning him carefully on her enormous palm. His broken body lifted higher still, towards her waiting mouth. Lips parted and Tenn could feel the air rush between them, drawing him forward. His body pressed into the damp softness of her lips on its way into the deadly cavern of her mouth. For a brief moment he was surrounded by a suffocating plushness, a sweet smelling prison of warm flesh.


And then she pulled him back.


Tenn stared up at her uncomprehending for what felt like an eternity until at last the significance of her gesture dawned on him. She had kissed him. With great care she set him back inside his cell and said, “Stay here. I’ll be back for you. Then her achingly beautiful face rose away into the darkness. Tenn reached toward her retreating form with helpless longing. Unable to tell her he had found a reason to live.


He hadn’t yet kissed her back.