- Text Size +
Rachel Carson was lying on the large twin bed in her room, reading her book and humming along to the sounds of her favorite playlist emanating from her earbuds. She liked to be able to just relax in the summertime—not having to go anywhere or do anything—and read, not that she was necessarily a bookworm by any means.
Despite how hot it had gotten that day, she still found a way stay comfortable: she was leaning on her left arm and had angled her body so her head was located near the top center of the bed while her bare feet just barely dangled off the right side near the bottom. Her right leg was crossed over her left, with her right foot tapping in the air to the beat of the music. The light maroon T-shirt with the logo of a summer camp she once attended and khaki shorts may not have looked like they were the most comfortable, but they were loose fitting, so she stayed relatively cool. Besides she liked the outfit: it wasn’t much to look at, but it was well worn in and comfortable, that’s all she really cared about.
Occasionally, Rachel would brush her soft, wavy, brown hair back behind her ear, keeping it out of her face as she read, nonchalantly shaking off stray stands from her lightly-freckled face. She never liked to keep her hair long, never more than shoulder length; otherwise, she’d have to spend more than 5-10 minutes brushing it.
Rachel, by all accounts, was cute; although, she didn’t really identify herself as ‘beautiful’. Deep down she was kind of a tomboy: she hadn’t really embraced all the girly things the other 13 year old girls in her class had. She rarely wore makeup or painted her nails, and the only jewelry she wore were the occasional earrings if she needed to. Sure, she wore necklaces every once in a while, but they weren’t anything dressy: they were wooden beads or maybe a chain with a charm. She usually didn’t even wear the Claddagh heart ring her grandmother had given her for her birthday.
Rachel liked to game, ride bikes, and enjoyed nature. Basically, she was a real down-to-earth girl: just one of those people with natural beauty, as if she were a small flower overlooked among the other, more beautiful blooms, waiting for just the right person to notice her and pluck her from the ground.
At the foot of her bed, curled up in a ball, lay Chloe, Rachel’s light brown Australian terrier, taking time to relax on such a hot day. She was drifting in and out of consciousness as Rachel lay reading, yet remained ever vigilant to her surroundings, faithful in her companionship to her human.
It was this attentiveness that allowed Chloe to hear a disturbance outside; she perked up her ears and lifted her head to listen. Instinctively, Chloe jumped off the bed and made her way across Rachel’s room, before climbing up onto the a chair by the window to see out.
“What is it, Chloe?” Rachel inquired, looked up from her book, and grabbing a bookmark.
Chloe started to bark. Rachel closed her book, grabbing her phone as she slid off the side of the bed, and made her way to the window, looking for the source of her dog’s curiosity.
In the backyard of the house adjacent was Shannon, the long-time sitter of her neighbor and best friend, Chris. Rachel was taken aback: she was expecting Sue Ann. Last time she talked to Chris, he had been going on and on about his parents being gone this week, and couldn’t stop talking about how much fun he and Sue Ann were going to have. Talk about having a crush! But seeing Shannon next door, she knew Chris was not going to be happy.
“Ooh boy, Chris is not gonna be happy about this,” Rachel said as she shook her head and chuckled. She watched as Shannon carried a small container in her hands and headed over to the Martin family pool. Going to sunbathe, Rachel thought, knowing how tan Shannon normally was, but I wonder where Chris is. Probably hiding inside, she reasoned, enjoying a reprieve from Shannon’s company.
Rachel pulled the earbuds from her ears and paused her music, setting her phone down on her desk.
She hustled out of her room, moved down the hall, and stomped down the stairs, Chloe following close behind.
Meanwhile, downstairs in the kitchen, Mrs. Carson, Rachel’s mother, was grabbing a drink of water from the sink. Suddenly she heard a thunderous racket booming down the stairs.
“Hey mom,” Rachel acknowledged.
“Geez, Rach!” her mother exclaimed. “You sounded like a heard of elephants coming down the stairs.” (Rach [pronounced Rāych] was what Mrs. Carson called her daughter, for short)
“Sorry, I just wanted to know if could I go next-door to Chris’s. I saw his house-sitter outside heading to the pool and wanted to go for a dip too if it’s OK.”
“Well....I guess you can, but only if the sitter says it’s okay.” Mrs. Carson replied. “Just don’t be an inconvenience, alright?”
“I won’t, I promise. Thanks mom!” Rachel said excitedly, rushing around the counter and giving her mom a kiss on the cheek.
“Come on, Chloe,” Rachel beckoned, before heading back upstairs, Chloe right on her heels.
“And make sure that you put on some sunscreen,” her mom called back, “I don’t want you getting sunburned with that complexion of yours.”
Rachel went straight to the upstairs hallway closet to find her beach towel before heading back to her room to change into her bathing suit.
She’d been good friends with her neighbor, Chris, ever since preschool. Growing up next-door to one another, and without many other kinds their own age in their neighborhood, you naturally stay close and tend to hang out. Sure, Rachel had friends at school, but during the summertime, they were always off doing things with their own families, and she was hardly ever invited. Not that she wasn’t popular, it’s just she didn’t really hang out with kids from school during the summer. Chris was someone she felt that she could hang out and be herself with, and antagonize if she wanted; but despite what good friends they were, she never really thought of him as anything more.
Rachel rummaged through her clothes drawers, eventually pulling out her one-piece aqua-patterned bathing suit, nonchalantly tossing it on the bed. She swiftly undressed, throwing her T-shirt and shorts on the bed before pulling her underwear down around her legs; she stepped out of them one leg at a time, kicked them in the air with her foot, caught them mid-flight and, in one fell swoop, shot them over to her laundry basket.
“Three points,” She commented, having nailed the basket.
Rachel grabbed her bathing suit and slowly pulled it up over her shoulders, taking a moment to admire self in the mirror before nodding her head in approval. Then, she walked back down the hall towards the upstairs bathroom.
Sunscreen, where is the sunscreen, she pondered, rummaging through bathroom drawers.
“Ah, there it is,” she said to herself, popping open the cap and squeezing out a generous amount into her hand. Rachel applied it to her arms and legs, making sure to cover each very carefully. She hated to admit it, but her mother was right: with a fair complexion such as hers, she did tend to burn somewhat easily.
Yet, Rachel secretly always wanted to support a tan, hoping that she’d at least appear to have gotten some sun over the summer.
Wish I could get a tan like Shannon, she thought, applying some more lotion to her hand before rubbing it into her shoulders, neck, and face. Despite wanting a tan, the last thing she needed were red marks on her face. How embarrassing!
One she was satisfied all the lotion was rubbed in, Rachel checked herself over to make sure she hadn’t missed a spot.
“Perfect,” she said, “All right, Chris, let’s see if you can beat me today,” knowing perfectly well she’d tease him anyway, win or lose. Whether it be racing, diving, or just holding their breath, Rachel liked to win.
Rachel swiftly returned to her room, gathered up her towel, and threw on a white T-shirt over her swimsuit. Then, just as quickly, she scurried back out of the room and down the stairs to the kitchen once more, with Chloe right behind.
With the back door in sight, Rachel excitedly rushed over, wishing her mother a hasty goodbye.
“Hold it!” Mrs. Carson called, “Come here for a second.”
“What?” Rachel asked, rolling her eyes and walked over to her mother, not wanting to hear a speech right now.
“Remember,” Mrs. Carson continued, “don’t be an imposition.”
“I won’t, Mom.” Rachel assured her. “I promise. Besides, Chris probably needs me.”
“Why do say that?” Mrs. Carson asked, bemused.
“Oh, just a hunch,” Rachel giggled.
Mrs. Carson shook her head and went back to finishing her duties in the kitchen before taking her drink back into the living room to relax, while her daughter, excited to go for a refreshing dip, beckoned her faithful dog and scuttled out the back door.

——————————————————————————————————————————

About 20 minutes earlier, Shannon emerged from the house carrying a plastic Tupperware container, tiny Chris within it. The warm summer sun and vitamin enriched sunlight felt so refreshing on her lotion-covered skin as it glistened in the afternoon rays.
“Hang tight, little guy,” she cooed to the tiny boy, “we’re almost there.”
Easy for her to say. Despite Shannon trying to be gentle and not jostle the container, it was still a bumpy ride. Chris felt like a tiny captive in a transparent cage.
“I’m trying,” Chris called up, “but I didn’t realize the ride would be so bumpy.”
Shannon smoothed her stride and held the container tight to her bosom, being very careful not to transfer her motion to it. This, of course, meant Chris now had a rather up close view of the underside of her swimsuit-covered breasts.
“Better?” she asked sweetly.
“Uh, much better,” he replied, slightly embarrassed by his view.
Near the far side of the backyard stood Chris’s family pool. It was an above ground pool, slightly elevated with a white, wooden fence encompassing the exterior. The deck was smooth, lightly-shaded sanded wood, sealed to prevent splinters, with an extra few feet near the wooden stairs to allow for poolside relaxing and entertaining. The pool itself was rectangular with a sky blue bottom, and had both a shallow end, with a step entry, and deep end, with an access ladder.
Shannon, having been careful to hold her smooth pace, approached the wooden steps up to the deck, carefully opened the gate at the bottom with her foot, and ascended towards the awaiting pool, closing the gate behind her. Although she was careful, it was nearly impossible for Shannon to keep the container completely steady during the short stint; Chris got a heck of a ride! Thankfully, the jostling only lasted a couple of seconds until Shannon reached the elevated pool deck. She strolled over to the pool’s reclining lounge chair and reached into the container to collect the tiny boy.
“Come here for a second,” she whispered down. Chris obliged, hopped onto her fingers, and held on tight while Shannon carefully lifted him out of the container and gently placed him on a small side table next to the chair.
“Ok, wait here,” she said.
Like I have a choice, Chris thought to himself, but the only response he gave the giantess was a nod.
Shannon carefully placed the block from the container on the table several inches away from the tiny boy, walked over to the pool’s edge, and, with one quick motion, reached down and dipped the container into the cool, still water. Having scooped up a sizable sum, she tilted the container to pour a bit out until the water level sat just below the mouth the straw taped to the side. Then, she carefully carried it back over to the table where the tiny Chris had been waiting patiently.
“Okay,” Shannon warned, setting the container down on the table, “coming down.”
Chris hustled quickly to avoid the descending container, joining the block placed aside a few moments earlier. Shannon carefully placed the container in the center of the table, then grabbed the block, cautiously avoiding the tiny Chris, and placed it inside the water-filled container.
“Well,” Shannon inquired as she straightened up to admire her work, “what do you think?”
Honestly, Chris wasn’t too sure what to think: he was literally about to go swimming in a giant plastic container that he had probably eaten out of at one time, and sliding down a straw he probably once drank out of too.
“Well, it....looks OK from here,” Chris eventually called back up.
“Well, go ahead.” Shannon urged, “Try it out; see what you think.”
Chris timidly walked over to the straw and climbed through the hinge, which acted like a tiny ladder. He was amazed at how slippery the inside of the straw was, despite the material.
Alright, he thought, reaching the top. Here goes!
Chris slid down the straw to the awaiting water, splashing out the end with a tiny *ploink*. The shock came immediately: the water was surprisingly cold, despite how hot it was outside. He looked up to see the giant Shannon observing him, awaiting his approval.
“Well, how is it?” She asked anxiously.
“R-really c-cold.” Chris replied, teeth chattering.
“Well, I’m sure you’ll get used to it, sweetie.” she assured him, kicking of her flip-flops and taking a seat in the lounge chair. “Everything else OK?”
“I....guess so,” he replied, hesitantly.
“All right, hang on.” she warned. “I’m gonna pull the table closer.”
“Wait....what?”
Shannon quickly grabbed the table, ever so slightly lifted, and pulled it towards her, being very careful not to disturb the water level in the container too much; unfortunately, despite how careful she thought she was being, Shannon’s action was so abrupt that Chris didn’t have time to think as he was submerged by a rouge splash. It was like a wave pool; he held his breath and waited for the ride to be over.
To make matters worse, as Shannon finished situating the table, the water level in the container corrected itself, causing a huge surge, pushing the tiny Chris to the side of the container, and nearly tossing him out.
“Hey,” Chris coughed, breaching the surface, “be careful up there!”
“Oops, sorry little one,” she apologized. “Go ahead; try to enjoy yourself. I’m just gonna lay back and try to get a tan, but don’t worry: I’ll look out for you.”
“And help me drown,” Chris said to himself.
For the next few minutes, Chris tried to enjoy his swim time, but it seemed he wasn’t acclimating to the water. Apparently, something about his tiny size was making it hard for him to warm up, despite being directly in the sun. He almost wanted to hop out of the frigid water, but he was certain that being outside the water probably would make him even colder (although, there was barely any breeze). Regardless, Chris decided to play it safe and just try to find a way to deal.
Meanwhile, Shannon had taken a moment to run her hands down her smooth skin, double checking that her tanning lotion was well rubbed in, before stretching out her small, plump frame along the lounge chair to relax. It took her a minute to find a comfortable position while still keeping Chris’s “swimming pool” in view; eventually, she bent her right arm over her head, lay her left arm in her lap, and crossed her right foot over her left. She took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, preparing to soak up some sun.
Chris, though primarily focused on swimming, couldn’t help but ogle the giantess sunbathing nearby; it was truly a sight to behold! Whether it was by happenstance or on purpose, Shannon’s pose was quite provocative: between draping her arm over her head, accentuating her chest and pronounced bosom, and running her right foot up and down the smooth, tanned skin of her left leg, Chris was awestruck! He had seen Shannon sunbathe before and been able to not give her a second glance, but, of course, he had never been this small before. Seeing her so gigantic meant that he could detect the delicate curves of her body, and plainly hear the sound of her giant foot sliding up and down along her smooth, lotion-covered leg. He wasn’t sure if Shannon was trying to tease him or just honestly didn’t realize. Truthfully, if Chris didn’t know her true personality, seeing Shannon in her bathing suit and lying provocatively in the sun, combined with how amiable she was being, he might find her quite attractive. He cursed his hormones once again, trying to ignore them, and continued swimming.
After about 10 minutes, Shannon was well on her way to a perfect tan, but hadn’t counted on it being as warm as it was and felt in need kind of a drink. Obviously, she hadn’t brought anything out with her, as her hands were full. Normally, this wouldn’t be an issue, but she currently had a tiny boy in her care.
“Hey little one,” she called, sitting up, “I’m getting thirsty. How about we go back inside a minute for a drink?”
“But I’m not thirsty,” Chris protested, “and I just got comfortable.”
“I couldn’t bring anything outside with me to drink,” Shannon explained, “and I can’t leave you out here on your own. I just want you to come with me really quick, we’ll get a drink, and then come right back out.”
“Shannon, ordinarily I’d agree, but I’m just now getting comfortable. It’s taken me this long just to get warmed up. If I go back inside with you, not only will I have to get used to the water all over again, the air-conditioning will freeze me to death!”
“Chris, you’re being overdramatic! And what am I supposed to do, leave you out here by yourself?”
“Sure, why not?” Chris asked frankly.
“‘Why not?!’ Because—“ Shannon quickly lowered her voice, “Because you’re a quarter of an inch tall, that’s ‘why not.’”
“Shannon, you’re just going inside for a few minutes. I’ll be fine. I’m just gonna be here swimming.”
“Chris, I can’t just leave you out here unattended! What if something happens?”
“What exactly do you think is gonna happen in two minutes?”
“I don’t know,” Shannon pondered, “What if some huge bug, or bird, or something try’s to eat you?”
“It’s not like I’m gonna go walking around willy nilly; I’ll stay right here in the pool: bugs hate the water and no bird is gonna wanna drink pool water. Besides, I can dive down deep if I need to. I’ll be fine, I promise.”
“Yeah, and what if someone sees you?!”
“Who’s gonna see me, Shannon? Half the time YOU don’t even see me. If anyone DOES happen to look over here, the only thing they’ll see is a pool, and even if they DO notice this container, they won’t give it a second thought.”
“I still don’t think it’s a good idea, Chris.” Shannon disagreed, “Come on, it won’t be very long; you can come right back out and continue.”
“Shannon please, it’s not like you’re going across town, just into the house. Look, you can see me from the kitchen window. If anything actually DOES happen, you can come right out. Just go grab a drink and come right back.”
“Chris, I just want to make sure you’re safe. I don’t want anything to happen to you.”
“Nothing’s gonna happen, Shannon. I was fine while you were asleep a few minutes ago.”
“I wasn’t asleep!” Shannon argued, “I....had an eye on you the whole time.”
“And did anything happen?”
“Well....no,” Shannon answered hesitantly.
“Look, you’ll only be gone a few minutes; what could honestly happen in a few minutes?”
Shannon just shot him a look of disbelief.
“Yes, I can see the irony in what I just said.” Chris relented, “Look, I’m in the water, I’m not gonna get out, I’m just gonna stay right here. I won’t leave the container, OK?”
“Are you absolutely sure?” Shannon asked apprehensively.
“Yes, I’m sure.”
“Despite our agreement?”
“I’ll take all responsibility if something happens.”
“YOU’LL take all responsibility?! I’M the one who’s going to have to explain if something happens to you.”
“Shannon, just go. Make yourself a drink, then you can hurry back.”
“Alright,” Shannon conceded, starting to back away, “sit tight. I’ll be right back. Just stay put and be careful. I don’t know what I would do if something happened to you.”
“Shannon, nothing is going to happen...,” Chris shouted back as Shannon quickly stomped thunderously down the stairs, causing a slight earthquake.
Chris had to take a moment to steady himself as she left.
“...And I would just like some peace and quiet for five minutes without her around.” Chris sighed.
As Chris prepared to lay back and relax, enjoying his few moments of peace, in the distance he could hear the rustling of Shannon’s steps in the grass, and the back door of his house slide open, closing just as quickly. He floated on his back, closed his eyes, and took in the peace and quiet, a welcome respite from his dire situation.

——————————————————————————————————————————

Shannon hurriedly entered the kitchen, grabbed a glass from the cabinet, and moved to the sink to fill it up. Once she had her drink, however, she hastily turned her gaze to the window, her eyes peeled on the pool, looking for any signs of trouble. Despite her teasing and tormenting, she truly was worried about the tiny boy. She’d gone to a lot of trouble to plan this, and, just as Chris had said earlier, there would be a lot of explaining to do if anything happened to him.
Shannon was gulping down her drink hastily, trying to finish and get back out to the pool, but the more she watched, the more relaxed she felt. Nothing was happening: no animals, no birds, no one lurking around.
“So far so good,” she sighed aloud, “But I don’t want to have to come back in if I get thirsty again.”
Shannon thought long and hard about her next actions. Chris did say he’d be responsible, but what did he know? She’d be the one to have to make up an excuse if he should disappear. How would THAT conversation go over?
‘Sorry Mr. and Mrs. Martin, but I shrunk your son and he accidentally got eaten by a giant cat!’
They’d throw her in the loony bin, let alone suspect her of murder. Shannon got very nervous and made a swift move for the back door....and stopped.
“Maybe....maybe I can use this to my advantage,” she mused, moving back to the window.
“If I give him what he wants, I might just a lot more in return. This might be exactly what I need to get him all to myself. Just play it cool: give him a little leeway, then get something in return. Oh, yes. This deal is definitely gonna work in my favor.”
Shannon decided to take the risk and look for something more refreshing....more alcoholic. It wouldn’t take long, and then, straight back to Chris. She moved away from the window once again, but her eyes were still peeled on the pool.
“Ok, Shannon,” she decided, “just do it quick and get back out there.”
Shannon finally pulled her gaze away from the window and turned her attention to the fridge to find some ingredients. If only she had been watching for just two more seconds before turning away, Shannon would’ve seen a young teenage girl entering the backyard, heading straight for an encounter that the tiny, shrunken Chris wouldn’t soon forget.