- Text Size +
From the moment Noreen ran upstairs and closed her bathroom door, Shannon had been intently scanning the carpet for any sign of the tiny Chris.
“Chris,” she whispered, “Chris, are you here?” Shannon was very cautious about where she stepped, making sure that the tiny boy wasn’t directly underneath her. What a stupid bit of luck that would be—coming all this way to find and rescue him only to squish him underneath her giant feet! Hopefully, Chris’s increased integrity kept him intact during the whole debacle, otherwise it was going to be a very awkward conversation with Noreen....and Chris’s parents!
“Chris, where are you? If you’re here please come out; we don’t have a lot of time!”
Shannon checked the corners of and under the couch, the chair and the side table, eventually making her way to the wall-sized the bookshelf where Noreen kept her sound system, TV, and numerous DVDs.
To Shannon’s dismay, there was no sign of Chris. Growing more desperate, she made her way back across the room to Noreen’s sneakers. She lifted up both with one hand, carefully scanning the floor, the shoelaces, and tilting them to check the insides. Apprehensively, Shannon checked underneath, praying she wouldn’t find a tiny blood stain among the treads. All her searching, however, turned up nothing; there was no sign of the tiny Chris.
Shannon was losing hope; she wondered if Chris had even made it to Noreen’s. If he wasn’t here, he could be anywhere between Noreen’s house and where they’d met earlier. It would literally take days to conduct a proper search; Chris didn’t have that kind of time! Hell, she didn’t even know if Chris was even still alive!
Shannon took a deep breath, trying to center herself. Even if Chris had made it to Noreen’s, she needed more time to look; she couldn’t distract Noreen forever. And if Chris had fallen off along the way, she’d need help finding him. There didn’t seem to be any way around it: she HAD to tell Noreen. Maybe the two of them together could come up with something. It was going to sound so stupid though; what would Shannon even say? “Noreen, I shrunk Chris with a shrinking potion, brought him on my walk, and lost him; and now I think he’s lost somewhere in you house”?! How exactly would that go over? Noreen would never believe it! SHANNON couldn’t even believe it, and it was the TRUTH!
Shannon carefully walked towards the kitchen, searching high and low for any sign of a tiny speck, waving its arms, vying for attention...
“What the hell?!”
Shannon stopped dead in her tracks. Noreen’s outburst sent chills down Shannon’s spine; she must have been spotted searching. Shannon slowly spun around, expecting to see Noreen peering over the banister....
Noreen wasn’t there; she was still upstairs in the bathroom. Shannon let out a sigh of relief...
Then, she got a horrible thought! What if Noreen had found Chris?! Shannon rushed to the stairs just as the bathroom door opened and Noreen came stomping down.
“OK Shannon,” Noreen started, “I figured I’d just cover the bases. This should help relieve any nausea Chris has, and let me check my kitchen cabinets for something to reduce a fever if he has one.”
“Uh-uh, g-great,” Shannon stammered. “But...”
“Don’t mention it. Come on, let’s check the kitchen.”
“Noreen, wait!” Shannon said, grabbing Noreen’s arm, “I heard you shouting. What happened?”
“Oh, it-it’s nothing. Ooh,” Noreen exclaimed, lifting her left foot into her lap, leaning on the wall for stability, “darn it! That still smarts!”
“What?” Shannon asked, watching Noreen rubbing her toe. “What’s wrong?”
“Don’t worry, it’s not a big deal.”
“No really, what is it,” Shannon urged.
“Well, I guess I can tell you. I’ve been a little lax in cleaning my bathroom; I was upstairs just now using the restroom, and I think a bug bit me.”
Shannon‘s eyes grew wide. “What?!”
“Well, I was standing in the bathroom, finishing up, and something bit my toe. I probably just need to clean...”
“Noreen, please tell me you didn’t *gulp*....squish it,” Shannon interrupted.
“The bug?! N-no, I actually never saw it. But don’t worry, I’ll take care of it later. I closed the bathroom door so it...”
“Hold that thought!” Shannon shushed her, rushing up the stairs, “I need to go to the bathroom!”
“Shannon! You could just use the one down here!”
“It OK, I’ll be fine!”
“But what about the bug?!”
“I’ll find it for ya,” Shannon said, opening the bathroom door.
“You....really don’t have to,” Noreen stammered.
“Hey, what are friends for?!” Shannon replied, turning on the light and scanning the floor.
“O....K,” Noreen said, befuddled, “I’ll....just be gathering up a couple more things for you to take to Chris.”
“Perfect! You do that,” Shannon said, cautiously stepping inside and maneuvering around the door as she closed it.
Moments before when Noreen mentioned a bug biting her, Shannon just knew it had to be Chris; she bolted up the stairs towards the bathroom with renewed vigor. Now, she was on her hands and knees, intently scanning the bathroom rugs, combing through every fiber, looking for any sigh of the tiny boy.
“Chris,” she quietly repeated, “Chris, are you here?”
Despite the possibility that it could have just as easily been a bug, Shannon had a gut feeling that it was Chris; he had made it to—and was lost somewhere in—Noreen’s duplex. Shannon was bound and determined to find him, she just hoped it wasn’t too late.
As she searched, Shannon couldn’t shake the thought of how much trouble Chris could be in. What if it WAS already too late? What if Noreen unwittingly threw him away, or flushed him down the toilet? No, Shannon reassured herself, not possible. If it HAD been him trying to get Noreen’s attention by pounding or biting her toe, he must be alive, and on the floor, somewhere nearby. The problem was exactly where; Chris wasn’t anywhere in sight. Shannon felt she was so close to finding him, yet so far away.
“Chris! Chris, please. Where are you?”

Meanwhile, Noreen was scanning her first aid cabinet for some natural fever reducer. She was standing at the counter, reading the labels and occasionally scratching her leg with the big toe of her right foot.
The faint voice had returned, calling her name. It seemed so distant, it sounded like it was coming outside. Noreen set the bottles down on the counter and strolled over to her back door, looking out the blinds to see if there was anyone outside.
There was no one. Not even any neighborhood kids outside enjoying the nice weather.
Confused, Noreen walked back out of the kitchen and over to her stairs. She leaned over the banister and peered up to the 2nd floor, listening to see if Shannon was the one calling her.
“Shannon?” she called up.
Shannon was still in the middle of her search when she heard Noreen to call for her. She gritted her teeth, hesitant to respond knowing her voice would be extremely loud to the time Chris; unfortunately, she needed to give a reply.
“Yeah?” Shannon called back, mouthing the word ‘sorry’ afterwards.
“Everything all right?” Noreen inquired.
“Yeah, everything‘s fine. I, uh, might be a few more minutes.”
“OK, just checking.”
Still somewhat perplexed as to who could be calling for her, Noreen walked back into her kitchen to finish up gathering the bottles for Shannon, grabbing a small plastic sack from under her counter and tossing them inside. She walked back into the living room with sack in hand and set it beside the couch, before taking a seat.
Noreen let out a huge sigh. Finally, she thought, it feels so good to sit down. Her feet ached from all her exercising, and that stupid bug didn’t help anything. She slowly lifted her left foot into her lap and began massaging it: first kneading the soft sole, then moving her fingers in small circles, taking a moment to crack her toes. Though Noreen quietly wished she had someone who could rub her feet for her, it felt good nonetheless. The more she rubbed, the better her foot felt; she knew she needed to work on her right foot, but she was so tired that switching required to much effort currently. Might as well give her left foot the full treatment before changing.
All the while, her mind drifted back to that voice calling her name. Where was it coming from? And who the heck was calling for her? Was she imagining the whole thing? Maybe she really DID need that nap. Maybe after Shannon leaves...
And speaking of which, Shannon sure was taking her sweet time in the bathroom. What exactly was she doing up there, looking for that bug?
Noreen finished massaging her left foot and begrudgingly got up to check on her friend.
“Shannon,” Noreen called, starting up the stairs, “are you sure you’re okay?”
“Yeah,” Shannon replied, standing up, “just finishing up.”
Unfortunately, she had had no luck locating the tiny Chris. Shannon had no choice but to ask Noreen for help. Disheartened over her failure, she put her hand over her mouth, trying to curb her sobbing; eventually covering her eyes to hold back the tears. She took a deep breath and collected herself; she knew what she had to do. Shannon quickly washed her hands and stepped out of the bathroom.
“There you are,” Noreen said upon Shannon exiting the bathroom. “Come on, I’ve gathered up a few things for you.”
“Thanks sweetie,” Shannon replied, descending the stairs, “but there’s something I really need to talk to you about.”
“Sure, but can we sit down? My feet are killing me!”
Noreen took a seat on the couch and grabbed the sack, while Shannon sat in the easy chair positioned catty corner.
“Ok,” Noreen began, “first off, here’s the stuff for Chris: one’s for nausea, one’s for aches and pains, and one to reduce a fever if he has one.”
Shannon didn’t say anything, only nodded her head.
“So, you said you wanted to talk. What about?”
“Um, well,” Shannon replied hesitantly, “It’s about Chris.”
“Oh, what about him?” Noreen asked crossing her right leg over her left.
“Well, it’s about his....condition.”
“Yeah, you said he was sick. Is there something else?”
Noreen starting anxiously swinging her lower leg back and forth, lightly tapping her foot in the process.
“Well, like I said it’s a little hard to describe.”
“Ok, well, just take it slow,” Noreen said, scratching the top of her right foot.
“Ok,” Shannon began, taking a deep breath, “you see, it’s like this...”
Shannon paused uncomfortably, hesitant to tell Noreen the truth. Noreen had finished scratching and took the opportunity to place her right foot into her lap to also scratch her ankle, as Shannon’s eyes fell upon her friend’s actions:
“Well, *GASP*...”
Shannon gasped loudly at the sight she beheld: there, square in the middle of the sole of Noreen’s right foot, was Chris! Noreen had unwittingly stepped right on top of him, and now he was stuck facing outward, struggling for freedom held in place by the dried, sticky vaginal secretions he had been doused in earlier.
Noreen snapped her attention to Shannon’s sudden gasp.
“What?!”
“Um...” Shannon couldn’t form the words, her eyes staring directly into Noreen’s. This wasn’t exactly how she wanted to break it to her, but maybe it was for the best, like ripping the Band-Aid off all at once. Shannon bit her lip not too sure what to follow up the discovery with.
“What is it? What’s wrong?” Noreen asked.
“Huh?!” Shannon uttered, snapping back to reality.
“Come on, Shannon, just tell me! What’s going on? Why’d you gasp?”
Noreen grew increasingly nervous; the concern on her face shown brightly. Shannon was confused with Noreen‘s reaction; it wasn’t quite the response she’d been expecting.
That’s when Shannon noticed Noreen’s posture: although her foot was resting in her lap and Shannon had a direct line of sight to the sole, it was angled downward just enough so that Chris was obscured from view. Noreen didn’t have a line of sight to the tiny abnormality on her foot; she hadn’t spotted Chris yet. Shannon figured she still might have a chance to retrieve Chris without Noreen ever finding out. It was a stroke of luck, in more ways than one. Now, however, Shannon needed to find a way to get Chris off Noreen’s foot before he was discovered.
“Shannon,” Noreen addressed her, anxiously tapping her right foot up and down, “I’m getting antsy over here.”
Unintentionally, Noreen’s current actions were putting the tiny Chris through hell; he began shouting hysterically for help. Shannon, now fully aware of Chris’s presence, could hear his tiny cries for mercy, but couldn’t quite make out exactly what was being said, although she figured he was pleading for Noreen to stop. The irony of the situation was, under different circumstances, it would probably have been quite amusing watching Noreen swinging and tapping her foot with Chris reluctantly along for the ride.
“Did you hear that?” Noreen asked, peering over her right shoulder towards the living room window.
“Um, hear what?” Shannon deflected nervously.
“I could swear I hear someone calling my name,” Noreen admitted. “In fact I’m positive someone’s been calling my name for he last 15 minutes. At first I thought it was coming from outside, but I didn’t see anybody when I looked. Then, I thought it was you, but obviously it’s not.”
Out of sheer frustration, Noreen rested left hand on her right foot, fiddling with her toes. Poor Chris was scared to death! The sight of Noreen’s giant hand had him petrified, afraid that if she moved it any lower, he’d be rubbed into oblivion. Chris frantically pulled and wiggled harder, trying to free himself from his sticky situation.
Meanwhile, Noreen’s gaze was presently away from Shannon. Good thing too, otherwise she’d see Shannon gritting her teeth and intently staring at her foot, eyes fixated on the shrunken Chris. Shannon could just barely make out what he was saying.
“Shannon,” she heard him squeak. “Shannon, help! Can’t you see me? I’m right here! Get me off of Noreen’s foot! Hurry!”
“Tell me I’m not going crazy, Shannon,” Noreen addressed her again.
Shannon’s gaze rose to back to Noreen, who never saw her looking. “You know, maybe it’s just your imagination, girl.”
“I guess so, but I’d swear It’s real.”
“Shannon!” Chris squeaked again, “Shannon, get me off Noreen’s foot! Hurry!”
Noreen started rubbing the balls of her right foot with her hand, oblivious of the tiny Chris stuck underneath, who yelped with fright!
“It’s probably just all in your head, sweetie,” Shannon lied, shaking her head.
“Shannon,” Chris squeaked, “what are you doing?! Tell Noreen where I am! Come on! Tell her!”
“Eh, you’re right Shan,” Noreen reasoned. “It’s probably nothing. Maybe I just need a nap.”
“No, Noreen! I’m not nothing! Shannon, tell her about me. Please tell her...”
Chris’s cries were cut off as Noreen’s hand shifted over him, covering the middle of her soul. She was nonchalantly massaging in the outside of her soul with her thumb and middle finger.
“Anyway,” Noreen continued, “you were saying something about Chris?”
“Well....you know, maybe I shouldn’t.”
“Come on Shan, you need to tell me. What’s wrong with him?”
“Well....I guess you could say....he’s in a....little trouble.” Shannon managed to utter.
“Trouble?! Why? Mmph, darn foot cramp!”
Noreen began tilting her right foot towards her to massage it. Chris would be discovered for sure!
“WAIT, NO!” Shannon exclaimed, suddenly grabbing Noreen’s foot and pulling it into her lap.
“Hey!” Noreen yelped, “Shannon, what’re you doing?!”
“Um, your feet look really red! Why don’t I....rub them for ya?”
“Uh, that’s OK sweetie,” Noreen stammered, “I can do it myself.”
“Don’t worry,” Shannon insisted, keeping a tight hold on Noreen’s leg, “I know what I’m doing. Besides, it’ll feel much better if someone does it.”
“Uh, gee Shannon, you really don’t have to...” Noreen replied apprehensively.
“It’s no trouble at all, really. Besides, what are friends for? Trust me, it’s better if I do it for ya.”
“Um, O-OK Shannon,” Noreen said reluctantly, “if you insist.”
“Great!” Shannon replied, “now just lie back and relax.”
“Uh, Sorry if they smell,” Noreen giggled nervously, slightly embarrassed, “Obviously, I haven’t showered yet.”
“Don’t worry,” Shannon assured her, “I don’t mind.”
Noreen reclined back onto the couch and closed her eyes as Shannon began massaging. She began by scrunching and flexing Noreen’s foot, rubbing in circles. Her intention was to dislodge Chris just enough so she could easily peel him off without Noreen knowing.
“Ooh,” Noreen moaned, “that does feel good, sweetie.”
“See, I told ya.” While Shannon rubbed, she consciously avoided Chris, whose squeaks for help became more desperate. Shannon had to mouth her responses to him, shushing him so Noreen couldn’t hear. Understandably, Chris was anxious to get off Noreen’s foot; the pungent odor penetrating his sinuses was easily 10 times worse than what was wafting into Shannon’s nose.
“Ah,” Noreen sighed, “that feels so good. Thank you, Shannon.”
“Don’t mention it,” Shannon replied, though her attention was still on Chris, trying to massage around him, waiting for the right moment to make her move. Chris, though now discovered, was growing increasingly agitated, and worried, as Shannon’s giant fingers were rubbing dangerously closer each second.
Meanwhile, Noreen was starting to feel herself drift off to sleep. It would’ve been so easy to take a nap then and there, but she felt so icky from her workout. She really wanted to shower first; she needed an excuse to stay awake for a bit.
“Shannon?”
“Hm?”
“That feels really good, but you’re putting me to sleep.”
Shannon perked up!
“Go ahead, sweetie,” Shannon urged, “I don’t mind. I can show myself out.”
“Yeah, but I don’t want to sleep yet. I need to shower first.”
Shannon kept rubbing, hoping Noreen would drift off.
“Mm,” Noreen moaned, “I really wish I wasn’t a single right now. I need to find a nice guy who’ll do this for me.”
“Yeah,” Shannon giggled, “well, you’ll just have to start bringing guys home sweetie.”
“Speaking of which,” Noreen continued, “you ever find out what happened to Steve?”
“What? Oh yeah, we’re done!”
“Oh. I hope you don’t mind me saying so, but I’m glad.”
“Not at all,” Shannon smiled. “Me too.”
“Is he still around, I just haven’t seen him for a bit?”
“Nope, he went away for a while.”
“Really?! Where to?”
“Eh, it’s not important. All that really matters is that he won’t be bothering me anymore.”
“Well, guess it’s for the best. I never really liked him anyway.”
“Yeah, I know. I could tell. You’re always looking out for me, Noreen.”
“Hey, what are best friends for?”
Both girls shared a laugh.
“Hey,” Noreen beckoned, “could you get the center of my foot now?”
“Uh, sure,” Shannon gulped, her and the tiny Chris nervously locked eyes. Chris was frantically shaking his head and increased his struggles.
“Hang on a second,” Shannon said, thinking quickly, “you have a little bit of dirt on your foot. Let me get it off for you.”
Shannon gritted her teeth and reached for the tiny Chris, planning to use her fingernail to gently scrape him off. Chris, meanwhile, closed his eyes and waited for the inevitable. Shannon positioned her finger just above Chris’s location and gently started scraping.
Unfortunately, Shannon’s nails were too short; instead of scraping Chris off, her finger slid right over him. Chris was taken by surprise as Shannon’s giant finger started squishing him; he yelped with surprise and called for help, but, of course, his cries were cut muffled by the huge digit. To make matters worse, Shannon’s finger inadvertently pressed him tighter into Noreen’s soul.
“Mm, did you get it?” Noreen asked.
“Not yet, hang on,” Shannon replied, more to Chris than to Noreen, however.
Shannon reached for Chris again, who was now squeaking in protest for her to stop. She tried squeezing the skin around Chris to try to dislodge him, but nothing was working.
Initially, Noreen wasn’t really paying that much attention to Shannon’s actions, but she kept feeling Shannon attempt to pluck something in the bottom of her foot.
“Hey,” Noreen said, sitting up with a start, “what are you picking at?”
“It’s nothing, just a bit of dirt,” Shannon replied. “Don’t worry, I’ll get it for you.”
Shannon haphazardly reached for Chris again, but couldn’t wrap her plump fingers around his tiny body. It was almost as though Noreen’s sole was swallowing them.
“Hey!” Noreen objected, trying to pry her foot away. “Shannon, what the hell are you picking at?!”
“N-Nothing! It’s nothing,” Shannon lied, pulling Noreen’s foot back into her lap.
“Shannon, stop it!” Noreen protested, yanking her leg back to herself. “What’s on my foot?!”
“It’s just some dirt,” Shannon lied again.
Noreen peered at the underside of her foot; her eyes grew wide at what she saw!
“Ew, it’s a BUG!”
Noreen freaked, nearly rolling off the couch. She hopped up, kicking her right foot to rid it of the unwanted passenger.
“Noreen, Wait!” Shannon yelped.
“Ew, it’s stuck to my foot!” Noreen shouted, raising her right foot into the air. “Stupid bug!”
Noreen was about to stomp on the floor; she was going to squish the bug!
“NO!” Shannon freaked, leaping out of the chair and knocking Noreen back on the sofa. In the process, Shannon lost her footing and fell to the floor.
“Shannon, what the hell is wrong with you?! I’ve got to get this stupid bug off my foot!”
Noreen brought her foot into her lap, ready to pry the bug off between your fingers and put it out of its misery.
“NOREEN, STOP!” Shannon screamed, “Don’t move!”
“Shannon, would you just let me get this bug?!”
“NOREEN, FOR GOD’S SAKE, DON’T SQUISH HIM!”
“Why?! It’s just a stupid bug...”
“NOREEN, IT’S NOT A BUG!” Shannon yelled, grabbing Noreen’s arm and pulling her hand away.
“Shannon, what are you...”
“Noreen, it’s not a bug,” Shannon said. “Look.”
Noreen was perplexed, grossed out, and scared all at once. Nevertheless, seeing Shannon’s fearful expression, Noreen humored her and hesitantly looked at the bug. At first, she was disgusted at the thought of having a view it up close, but her face switched from disgust to confusion the closer she looked. The bug didn’t look like a normal bug at all: it had arms and legs. It honestly looked like a tiny person.
Noreen gasped!
“Oh my God! CHRIS?!”
Chapter End Notes:

I didn’t initially plan to end this chapter on a cliffhanger, but 1) it was starting to get a little long and 2) the feedback I’ve gotten about the Noreen chapters has made me do some re-thinking about the next series of events.