- Text Size +
Chapter 1: April 3rd, 1997 California's Central Coast

Chase Cantero stood in the dingy motel room with his two room mates. He held a new camera in his hands. Chase was 25 years old, half Mexican, half White, with dark hair and brown eyes. His two room mates were White, with dark hair and brown eyes.

"Why did you buy that thing?" Vance asked. Vance was four years older than his brother Nick, who was four years older than Chase.

"I want to photograph the Hale-Bopp comet," Chase replied. "This is a once in a lifetime chance! When Halley's comet came through, it was a dud, but the Hale-Bopp comet is exceptional!"

"It just seems stupid to spend that much money on a camera," said Vance. "Do you know how much weed you could've bought for the money you spent on that camera?"

"I don't care," said Chase. "I'm going out tonight to get some photos of the comet."

*************


When it was dark out, Chase took off with his camera on his bicycle. He found a remote spot, and rode down a trail to an isolated area. He took some photos of the comet, then spotted a house with lights on. He could see people moving around in the living room, but they couldn't see him. There was a middle-aged woman, and two college-aged young women who must've been her daughters.

Chase crept closer to the house, hoping to get some stealth shots of the young women without them being aware they were being photographed. He propped his bicycle against a tree, and got down on his stomach and started taking photographs. Meanwhile, inside the home, Chase's actions didn't go unnoticed. The older woman put goggles on and took a device out of a backpack and headed toward the door. She aimed in Chase's direction and fired, and the world expanded around Chase as he was reduced to an inch tall.

He looked over and saw his bike, which was colossal now compared with him. The woman stepped further out into the darkness.

"You have two choices," the woman said to the unknown intruder, "you can either surrender yourself to me now, or stay out here and get eaten by animals. There are a lot of wild raccoons in this area!"

Chase was surrounded by towering blonde blades of grass. He stood up, and pondered the woman's ultimatum. Seeing that he had no choice, he ran toward the woman. When he reached her shoes, she said: "Good, I'm glad you could see things my way."

The woman knelt down and grabbed Chase gently, then cradled him gently in her fist as she carried him inside. "Trinity, close the door for me," said the woman, and the older of the two daughters closed the door. The woman deposited Chase on the dining room table.

"I'm Tori Tanker, and these are my two daughters, Trinity and Tiffany. Trinity is 19, and Tiffany's 18. Who are you?"

"I'm Chase Cantero!"

"It looks like we're the ones doing the chasing, and you've been captured. Do you have any questions?" Tori asked.

"Yes!" said Chase. "How did you shrink me?"

"We're time travelers from the year 4380 a.d. In our time, the Hale-Bopp comet has returned, and we came back to 1997 to see how it looks in your century, to compare it to how it looks in our time. The device I used on you is called a neutrino dissimilator, it can shrink matter."

"Is it a common device in your time?" Chase asked.

"Almost everyone owns a shrink ray in our time," said Tiffany. My sister and I each own one, in addition to the one my mother owns."

"How long are you going to keep me small?" Chase asked.

"I'm not sure yet," Tori replied. "You were spying on us, I have half a mind to keep you this way so my daughters can have a pet!" The room erupted in laughter as all three of the normal-sized women laughed heartily.

Tori turned her head to speak to her two daughters: "Girls, get those icosahedron dice out! I want you to gamble to see who gets to play with him first!"

Trinity and Tiffany went to their bedrooms, and returned with dice that they tossed onto the table where Chase stood. Chase recognized the dice as the same type used by board gamers, each die had twenty sides.

Trinity threw first, and scored a 16. Tiffany threw second, and scored a 13.

"Yes! I win!" said Trinity, throwing her arms up in victory. She reached over and grabbed Chase gently enough not to hurt him but forcefully enough to show him who was boss, and said, "You're lucky my sister didn't end up with you, she's really bossy!"

"Can you tell me more about how that neutrino dissimilator functions?" Chase asked.

"It's pretty simply, really," Trinity replied, "the gravitational signature of each elementary particle is detected, and stripped of matter in the form of neutrino particles. The atoms decrease in size, weight, volume and mass as they discharge neutrinos."

"Do the miniaturized atoms move closer together?" Chase asked.

"Yes, that happens automatically," Trinity replied. Electrons have a negative charge, and since opposites attract and like charges repel, electrons orbiting one atom react against the electrons of nearby atoms, keeping them the same distance apart from one another. When the atoms shrink, they close the distance, to maintain the same proportionate distance apart from each other."

"You forgot about the protons," said Tiffany.

"What about the protons?" Chase asked.

"Protons have a positive charge, so that's another reason atoms repel each other," said Trinity. "Same thing with the shrinking protons as with the shrinking electrons, the diminishing size causes the repulsive force to diminish, so the atoms move closer together."

"How much computer memory does it take?" Chase asked.

"Not as much as you would think," said Trinity. "There is a device that detects the gravitic signature of the elementary particles, such as the quarks, gluons, and electrons, then a dimensional membrane is established around the target. The excess matter is forced through this membrane, like using cheese cloth to remove whey from cheese curds, the shrunken atoms are all that remain."

"Why do you want to know so much about the shrinking process?" Tiffany, the younger girl asked.

"I'm an amateur comic book artist," said Chase, "and I'm hoping to become a student at the Kubert school of art some day. This information should prove valuable to me!"

"Who said we're ever letting you go?" said Tiffany, slamming her fist down onto the table.

"Get the omnichron," said Trinity. "You should look him up, and make sure we're not interfering with a historical figure."

Tiffany got up and retrieved the electronic device her sister had directed her to get, and sat down at the table with it. She spoke into the device: "Omnichron, who is Chase Cantero?"

Images began to appear on the screen. They were photographs of Chase when he was in his 40's, in one of them he was accepting an award of some kind.

"Trinity, it says here he became a famous comic book artist!"

"Then we'll have to let him go, eventually." said Trinity.

"Yeah, but not before we have some fun with him first!" said Tiffany, licking her lips.

To Be Continued!