- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Bet you weren't expecting another chapter of this! 

Caretaker Chapter 6: Emeralds last Forever


“There was a kingdom here once with a beautiful princess.”

“They fled some time after the moon fell.”

“I met her in person. Don’t remember much about her except for one thing.”

“She called me “dear”....like a LOT!”


Thomas’ arms were getting sore. He really had to workout more. Perhaps he was working out now? Rowing was good exercise. Except exercise was generally enjoyable yet Thomas only felt irritation. Perhaps it was at the corpse of a what looked like a small child floating by. He couldn’t recognize what race it was but it had horns. It eyes were closed and it almost appeared peaceful and resting, the grieving wails of its father betrayed the truth of a rest it would never rise from. It could also be the complete indifference his partner showed at the tragedy around them! Vivian paid no attention towards the aftermath of Mr. Krabbles wrath. She fiddled about with her T-glass as per her default even as they floated past the yells of relief workers and crying citizens. He watched the father swim out the the child and pull him ashore. He pressed his hands against the the small things chest and breathed into his mouth. Suddenly the child erupted with life as they coughed out some water. Thomas smiled.


“Aw!” Vivian cooed. “Does the fact that boy is still clinging to life bring you joy, Thomas?” She grinned. “The gods must shine upon him.”

“Do you have to be so cold?” Thomas glared at her. “This is horrifying. A disaster we caused.”

“Only tangentially at best.” Vivian dismissed. “In a week this will be all but forgotten and Bloomstor will have new waterfront property.”

Thomas sighed. He realized there was no point trying to change her. “You could at least help me row.”

“I have a broken arm.” Vivian said. Vivian waved her casted appendage that Rayna had snapped off.

“You have three more!” Thomas snapped. “Plus whatever those things are.” He pointed out her stingers.

“They’re arms...well I guess technically legs. I don’t actually have arms.”

“Those aren’t arms?”

“I’m a spider, moron.” Vivian hissed. “Stop trying to define me with your human limitations and row like a good monkey.”

Thomas sighed.


Thomas didn’t believe in fate, but he also couldn’t argue with it. Remnants of Luna where supposedly lingering near the Emeraldine Isles and for the first time in centuries the passageway to them had not been blocked by tidal waves, whirlpools the size of continents and an everlasting storm so violent lightning struck anything that dared venture its path. All because the goddess of the Emeraldine ocean had stopped throwing her tantrum and been reunited with her beloved pet. A pet reawoken because of him and Vivian. He’d only wished it hadn’t cost so many lives.

He peered over the edge of the personal cruiser Vivian had strong armed off the Bloomstor travel Authority. The water was green. It started as a tealish, seafoam tint but the closer they got to their destination the more it turned into a deep emerald, there were sparkles in the water that glimmered and snapped like tiny fireworks.

“It’s Coral.” Vivian said. “She knows and sees everything that happens in her ocean. Don’t think for a second she isn’t aware of us.”

“Is that a bad thing?” Thomas nearly shouted over the sound of crashing waves against the cruiser.

“I don’t know!” Vivian spat. “God’s are fickle. The key is to be aware while trying not to think about it. At any time a number of gods could be observing you. You really think Winrey doesn’t have her eye on us?”

Thomas gulped at that thought.

“Just relax, Tom.” Vivian assured. “We still have a long way to go.”

Night came. Vivian anchored the cruiser so they could rest in its modest cabin. It was comparable to a small yacht. It had a table, a few chairs, a stove and twin sized bed. There was even a small lavatory.

“Should’ve pressed him for the deluxe model.” Vivian griped. “I’ve been in closets bigger than this cabin.”

“You think he was holding out on you?” Thomas questioned.

“Probably.” Vivian whined in remembrance of the beard faced man they’d “bartered” with. “I should have threatened to eat his nads and not his face.”

“I can’t really blame him considering you stole this.” Thomas said before biting into a yellow apple that tasted better than any apple he’d ever eaten. It was part of some provisions and supplies provided by Jasper before they left.

“Hmmph.” Vivian snorted swallowing two apples whole. “I didn’t hear you complaining at the time.”

Thomas paused.

“Hah!” Vivian snickered. “You have nothing to say do you!? Quick to chastise the cold hearted spider but content to reap her rewards!”

“It’s just…..it’s.” Thomas was caught. Vivian had a point.

“Just what? Just that you’d be stuck wondering the streets of Bloomstor? Probably taken advantage of without kind, beautiful Vivi to protect you?”

“Thank you.” Thomas said begrudgingly.

“Clipse.” Vivian sighed. “You’re such a pushover. My siblings would’ve eaten you the moment you were born. One little tease and you cave. You need to fix that.”

“You have siblings?”

“Hundreds, thousands by now probably.” Vivian gazed off for a moment. “But I don’t want to talk about that. Especially with you sitting there as dead weight.”

“I’m not dead weight!”

“You are.” Vivian hissed. “We have no idea how long this journey is and I’m not carrying you the entire way while also listening to you bitch about my methods.”

“Isn’t that you’re job!” Thomas argued.

“Semantics.” Vivian said. “I don’t plan on babysitting you Tom. Time to nut up a little big man. Tell me you at least know how to defend yourself!”

“I….uh….I did archery once at summer camp.”

“Summer what?”

“It’s like uh, you know?” Thomas struggled to find a way of describing it to someone who had no concept of it. “It’s like your parents send you away to a camp for a few months to learn different skills.”

“So it’s like survival training! That’s great!”

“It’s actually more like a vacation.” Thomas blushed.

Vivian narrowed her eyes.

“But I did learn how to forage a little, but….I kind of doubt that knowledge applies here. And I know how to make a fire, and purify water, and archery, and knot tying!”

“Knot tying?”

Thomas shook his head.

“They teach you to fire a gun at this little camp?”

“No!” Thomas gasped. “I was like ten years old!”

“Clipsing….fuck!” Vivian went to the corner of the cabin and hefted up a large duffel bag and tossed it onto the table. She opened it up and began searching for something.

“Yes!” She exclaimed pulling out a black metal tube. “Take this, meat.” she tossed it to him.

“What the hell is this?”

“A taser is a close enough description.”

Thomas inspected the device and found a small silver button on its side. He pressed it with his thumb and it slid up. In an instant the tube shot out to a rounded tip right into his throat. It beeped and a white spark flew into his eye before and intense pain shot through out is hody. It spasmed beyond his control as his eyes rolled in their sockets. All the while Vivian was laughing uproariously at his plight.

“I told you it was a taser, dumbass!”

Forced to drop the device, Thomas gasped in relief from the stun. Drool had run down the side of his mouth and onto the color of his poncho.

Vivian picked up the still sparking, shock rod and turned it off. “Keep this on you. It probably won’t stop anything big but it could might kill a human child, or a dog or something.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.”

“I’m serious here, Thomas.” Vivian continued. “You need to learn to defend yourself. I might be able to make you a bow, but that’s not enough. Don’t let your guard down just because you’re some kind of zombie man. There’s plenty of things out there skilled in killing the dead. Level up!”

Thomas nodded as Vivian went toward the cabin door.

“Where are you going?”
“Fuck this hippie shit.” Vivian said pointing toward the apple he was eating. “I need meat!”


 


 


Thomas stared at the cabin ceiling for hours. He couldn’t sleep. In fact he actually seemed more energized than he had throughout the day. When he concentrated he felt like he could see the stars from beyond the cabins frame. Colorful nebulas and constellations that shined brighter in the sky than anything he’d seen on Earth. Was earth out there somewhere? And the moon! It was mesmerizing. Even cracked in half it looked divine. He could almost imagine Luna’s face. Pale, delicate, with long hair.


“She won’t let you see me, Thomas. Not yet.”


He heard a splash! Then a familiar cackle...and then.

“Let me go you bitch!”


“What?!” Thomas gasped. He jumped up off the cot and dashed out to the commotions. He turned the corner of the bow to see Vivian, but not just her. Something else, something incredible. Suspended in the air by an intricate net of webbing, struggling to no avail, screaming and gasping and scratching at the air was a creature of pure imagination. She had long, beautiful green hair, shiny skin the color of a starfish speckled with gold and silver scales that ran down the line of her belly button to her bare nakedness forming a fishes tail where her legs and everything else should be. A mermaid.

“Catch of the day!” Vivian smiled wickedly.


 


 



“Vivian what are you doing?!” Thomas shrieked.

“Don’t worry I’ll share.” Vivian chuckled. “Plenty of good meat here. I hear mermaid tails grant immortality. Won’t that be fun?”

“You can’t!” The mermaid screeched in panic.

“Law of the ocean says whatever you catch is yours!” Vivian taunted. “Don’t worry I won’t eat all of you! You can live with just your top half right!?” She leaned in closer with her fangs bare. The mermaid got a glimpse of her razor sharp maw! A row of needle like teeth ready to crush and sever her tender meat.”

“Vivian, enough!” Thomas shouted.

“Back off, Tom!” Vivian hissed. “I’m not passing up the first good bite I’ve had all night! If you’re too squeamish I’ll eat your half!”

“I said enough!” Thomas repeated brandishing his taser rod.”

Vivian’s eyes widened. Her  mouth opened wide in a terrifying grin as she stood to her full ten feet of height. Thomas had forgotten she was that tall.Over twice what he was. She started laughing. “I told you to grow a pair and you did! I’m so proud! Now back off before I cut one of your legs off!”

“Viv!” Thomas stepped forward. “D-don’t make me hurt you!”

“Really, Tom!?” Vivian hissed. “You’re risking your life over a glorified goldfish! This is the hill you wanna die on?! Give it your best shot, monkey boy!”

Thomas charged. He pressed the business end of the taser right into Vivian’s lower abdomen. She visibly flinched but not much else. She laughed and swatted his face with her lower arm then used it to clutch his wrist. He dropped the baton almost instantly and she kicked up to her remaining free arm.

“Good effort!” She beamed before pressing the taser into his right cheek. “I hope you learn from this, Tommy boy!”

Thomas gripped the rod with both hands and yelped as more volts of electricity ran throughout his body. His veins felt like hot magma was running through him and he couldn’t stop the shaking. “V-v-v-v-v-v-v-viv-viv-vian! P-p-p-p-p-p.”

“P-p-puh, what?!” She mocked.

“P-pl-pleease d-d-d-don-on’t ea-ea-e-e-eat  he-he-her!”

“Goddess.” Vivian sighed. She looked at Thomas; truly a pathetic, human mess. She looked at the mermaid. He skin turning from orange to pale as she weeped. This wasn’t even fun anymore. She cut the line. The mermaid dove into the water faster the a virgin rabbunn on matting day. She turned off the taser and Thomas collapsed in a heap. She caught him before his face could hit the floor. She stood him up and ruffled his hair a bit. “You’re making me soft, human.”


 


 



Thomas was now responsible for catching Vivian some morally less sentient food at least by his pathetic human standards. This left him alone fishing or more like waiting next to another line Vivian had webbed up. He wasn’t allowed back into the cabin until he had an offering. He didn’t mind. Better than letting some innocent mermaid die. Plus the night air was pleasant and cool and he could stare at the moon which put him at peace.


“You saved me.” he heard. He looked over the edge toward the source of the noise. It was the mermaid from before. Thomas averted his eyes as she rose from the water completely bare chested.

“Don’t be shy.” She said in a voice angelic. “I just wanted to thank you.”

“No problem.” Thomas smiled. “Anyone would do it.”

“Not anyone.” the mermaid said. “You’re brave to stand up to that monster.”

“She’s not a monster.” Thomas defended. “She’s actually kind of nice once you get to know her.”

“She is!” The mermaid insisted. “She would’ve eaten me! But you stopped her. You’re a hero in my opinion, Thomas.”

Thomas couldn’t hide his smile. There was something very alluring about this beautiful creature. She held tight to the sensual myths of the maidens of the sea. Thomas couldn’t believe it. No one back home would.

“My name’s Emerald.” She said.

“That’s a nice name.”

“It’s very common for seafolk around here.” She smiled. “You deserve a reward.”

“No need.” Thomas said bashfully.

“I insist!” She pressed. “It’ll be simple.” She climbed up the side of the cruiser until her face was inches from his. He saw his eyes reflected in her own silver ones.

“A kiss from a mermaid protects those who travel the ocean.” She whispered. “You’re a very nice man, Thomas. I understand why she likes you.” Emerald pressed her lips into his. Thomas felt her salty tongue slither into his mouth and entangle with his own. He was breathless as they liplocked and her arms racked through his hair. He let his hand slide up her slick belly and grab lightly at her soft chest. She moaned slightly and whimpered. They broke.

“Wow!” he exclaimed.

“Delicious.” She smiled. “Mmmaybe one more.” Emerald went at him again. This time grabbing him a bit more forcefully. She pulled him into her and Thomas noticed she was quite a bit stronger than he was, and a bit larger too. He wasn’t a big man but Emerald seemed larger than a normal human girl. She tugged him so hard he lost his footing on the boat and fell into the water with her.

“Ooops!” Emerald chuckled. “I guess I got a little excited!”

“It’s okay.” Thomas said. “I’ll just call Vivian and.”

Emerald cut him off with another kiss. “Not yet!” She cooed. “Let’s have a little fun first.” That’s when he felt her hand on his crotch!

“Oh wow!” he squealed. “Uh isn’t this a little fast. I mean I don’t even know how this would work.”

“I’m capable.” She grinned dragging him in closer. “Just relax and enjoy for a bit.”

Something felt wrong. Thomas suddenly noticed they were moving away from the boat.

“Wait a minute.” Thomas whispered as Emerald continued to pepper him with kisses. “What are you?” The boat was further away now. So far he doubted he could swim for it. “Vivian!” he screamed at the top of his lungs.

“I’m sorry Thomas.” Emerald said. “You are a very kind man. I thank you for saving me...but my mistress’ will is absolute.”

“Vivian!!!”

“What?!” The spider shouted. “I swear if you’re whining about not catching anything I’ll eat one of your eyes for dinner!” She jumped when she noticed Thomas out at sea with that scaled fish.

“You clipsing, moron!” Vivian dove into the water.

Thomas was dragged underneath, deep. So far down any light from the starry sky had vanished. Emerald held onto him pressing her mouth forcefully into his face. He could feel the air in his lungs get sucked out and that painful burning began to return. She released him and a torrent of seawater filled his mouth then lungs. He started openly coughing and gagging as his lungs filled to capacity. He knew he wouldn’t die but the fear of death still held him. He opened his eyes and saw only blackness. The pressure of the deep only grew and was matched by the tightness of Emerald’s embrace on him. Then he felt a tug and she was gone and he was alone in the blackness. Left to drift at the mercy of the Emeraldine sea.


 


 



Thomas felt a sting at his neck.

“He’s still alive...I think.”

“Oh dear, should we help him?”

“Be careful princess, who knows what kind of diseases he could be carrying! Scurvy, plague, ocean madness!”

“There’s no such thing as ocean madness! Besides look he’s human.”

“We don’t trust humans!”

“I’m human, Posie!”

“No! You were EATEN by a human! Huge difference!”

Thomas erupted to life. He fell over backward and hurled out a torrent of ocean water that fell back onto his face. He keeled over and grabbed his aching stomach. He would never get used to drowning.

“He’s a moon worshipper! Kill him!”

“Calm, down!”


“Don’t kill me!” Thomas begged. He shook the water out of his ears and let his eyes adjust to the misty air of the earliest of mornings. “Where, where am I?”

“Far from home, I’m guessing.” said a woman with a voice that sounded like a singing mouse.

He stood up and was face to arm with caramel colored skin. He nearly collapsed as his legs threatened to give out beneath him.

“Careful, dear.” he heard from another voice that sounded like a solitary bell ringing in the wind with a hint of accent he couldn’t place. Before him where to women! One significantly smaller than the other. She was smaller than him even. She had wings and pointed ears and hair tied up in an elaborate bun. The other looked human but with the same pointed ears. She was taller than him. Possibly even a little taller than Jordan. She looked strong but dainty at the same time. Almost a living contradiction. Somehow pulling off elegant while having some of the thickest legs he’d ever seen.

“Who are you!?” he choked out.

“Show some respect!” The smaller woman said. “You are addressing royalty!”

She didn’t look much like royalty, wearing sneakers with a tight white t-shirt and overalls with….was that a Levi’s logo on the pocket!? She was from Earth!

“Former, princess.” She corrected. “Can’t very much rule over a ruined kingdom can I?” She giggled. She extended a hand toward him. “My name’s Elixs-no I suppose that’s wrong now…..you can call me…….Delilah. Yes! I would very much enjoy that! A pleasure to meet you, dear.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Surprise twist! Maybe I planned for this all along!

I would like to finish this story by the end of the year. I mean I won't but I'd like to. 

As always I do art. This time it's in color and you can see it here. 

https://www.deviantart.com/mrsirk

There might actually be stuff there you haven't seen before. 

I'm actually working on stuff now. I know I say that all the time, but I'm hoping to launch in January! That comic thing I've been talking about. If you like Caretaker, or maybe Trials...remember that? Well that's all going in that comic that I'm actually drawing! I'll probably re-launch my patreon then too, but that's future NotSirk's empty promise!

See ya around next chapter folks!