- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

What's this rising up from the gutter? New Chapter of Caretaker to the excitement of very few. Oh well it's here anyway. 

Caretaker Chapter 4: The Ones Above us All


“People always say Winrey’s cruel, callous, violent, and sadistic.”

“You can’t really blame them. She is a god of war. Probably more than any other.”

“You pray to her when you want the person in front of you dead. Along with their family, friends, pets, and...well you get the picture.”

“But I’ve served under her long enough to see her other side.”

“For one. She cares too much.”



Thomas stared out the window of the monorail. They were headed to this “Jasper” Vivian mentioned. The one with the nose of a bloodhound. Apparently he could help them find Luna. He was just a quick train ride away. Bloomstor was surprisingly modern in the oddest ways He felt a pit in his stomach he watched the smoke billow on the horizon. The carnage that angry dynastodon was wreaking on the city at that very moment. A building crumbled and fell in the overgrown crustacean’s wrath. It was his fault.

If he hadn’t chased after that kobaln? If he hadn’t stopped Vivian at the market in the first place? That creature might not have woken up and it wouldn’t be terrorizing the market district of Bloomstor.

“Are we really not going to do anything about that?” Thomas asked Vivian. She was sitting cross legged in the seat across from him, face in her T-Glass which seemed to be her favorite thing to do.

“Not a thing.” Vivian said nonchalantly.

“But people are dying!”

“So?” Vivian dismissed.

“It’s not right! We’re responsible. Shouldn’t we like call the cops or something?!”

“Cops.” Vivian snickered. “Sure. Human. Do yourself a favor and abandon this primitive and narrow minded sense of responsibility. It doesn’t matter. You’re involved in something more important than any of them. The creatures down there.” She tapped her clawed finger to the glass fo the train. “They owe their lives to Luna. Bringing her back is worth a few dozen people getting crushed by a giant crab THEY chose to build a market in.”

“How can you say that?” Thomas was aghast by Vivian’s lack of empathy. It was like she didn’t have a soul.

“Don’t you judge me, human.” Vivian sneered. “I’ve been alive longer than two of your lifetimes. I’ve experienced first hand the human capacity for cruelty. You are no better. None of them are either. Everyone is selfish and out for themselves. Even the gods.”

“Even Luna?” Thomas shot.

Vivian snarled showing her pointed teeth.

“The moon that eclipses us all.” Thomas finished staring back “That’s all you get this time.”

“I’m getting just a little tired of your attitude.” Vivian warned. “You’d be wise to listen to me if you want to get back to Earth and living out the rest of your meaningless life.”

“You haven’t clarified that either!” Thomas snapped. “How do you even plan on getting me back to Earth? How are you going to make me alive again? Do you even know what’s happened to me?”

Vivian was silent.

“You don’t do you?”

“You were just dropped in my lap, human!” Vivian growled. “I don’t know what happened to you! I’m not a doctor! Jasper just gave me your file and told me to run with it! I didn’t even think it would be a human!”

“So you lied to me then!”

“How dare you!” Vivian snapped. “I’m a lot of things but a liar isn’t one of them. Although I don’t exactly remember promising you anything. I can get you back to Earth!”

“How?!” Thomas wanted a proper answer. “And it better be a real or I’m out again and you can take those beads to this Jasper guy without me!”

“Clipsing, jackass.” Vivian seethed. “I told you there was a team on this right. It’s not just me and you. There’s Jasper and his mistress. She’s very powerful…..she’s…….dammit…..She’s Luna’s mother. A goddess of war. Winrey of the thousand bladed nightmares. If anyone can get you back to Earth she can. She’s the one who started all of this in the first place. She just wants her daughter back.”

“Is that really her name?” Thomas asked.

“That’s what you took from all that?!” Vivian gasped. “Yes that’s her name! Gods have titles that chronicle their many exploits.”

“A thousand bladed nightmares, though?” Thomas giggled. “That sounds like the name of some middle schooler “SUPER COOL” new anime character. That’s ridiculous.”

“Don’t say that to her face. She got that title shoving over a thousand blades into the body of a titan the size of a mountain. It was gruesome. Everyone who witnessed it has nightmares about it to this very day!”

“That’s not true!”

“Don’t believe me? You can ask her yourself. You’ll be meeting her soon.” Vivian informed.

Thomas was silent.

“She is Jasper’s mistress. As in he works for her! He manages things in her household. He lives with her! We’re going to meet Jasper so obviously she’ll be there.”

Thomas wasn’t sure he was ready to meet an actual goddess. A heavenly being or this world’s equivalent of such. He couldn’t even imagine what one was like. Were there religions based around them? Did they have churches and followers? Vivian didn’t seem like the type to believe in a higher power. In fact she seemed dangerously real and practical in her beliefs. Only when speaking of Luna was there any hint to the contrary.

“Will she be able to fix the crab problem?” Thomas asked.

“If you want it dead.” Vivian said. “Although something like that is way below her radar. Why are you obsessing over that so much? It will sort itself out.”

“How are you so calm about it?!” Thomas blurted. Vivian’s apathy was infuriating. It made his blue blood boil!

The spiderkin folded out her T-Glass into a larger panel the size of the window. She pressed a spot on the back of it and an image came to live. A deer person much like Buns but with different horns was dressed in a suit and tie in front of an anchors desk.

“Breaking news on the dynastodon incident.” He said. “It appears the slumbering titan that served as the location for local tourist hub and farmers market Crab Mouth Bazaar has been identified as Princess Coral’s long lost Mr. Krabbles.”

The world shook and the train screeched to a halt.

Thomas heard a gasp as all the passengers moved to his side to look out the windows. Something soft pressed into his back and pushed his face into the window. He looked out at the wreckage off the coast where the titular “Mr. Krabbles” was lumbering around. A huge tidal wave was headed right for it! On the horizon a gargantuan figure loomed.

“We all remember the heartbreaking story when Princess Coral lost her precious pet over a century ago!” The anchor said. The image on Vivian’s device cut to footage of a small girl with green hair and teal skin crying her eyes out.

“And-and!” She sniffled. “If anyone finds him...pl-please let me know!” She started wailing before the video cut back to the anchor deer-person.

“MR. KRABBLES!” Thomas felt. He couldn’t say he heard it because that wasn’t enough. That sound had reverated through his bones. Many of the passengers covered their ears in response. The behemoth came in close to the shore and if Thomas wasn’t already dead he was sure he would’ve died from the shock. It was the girl from the video. Princess Coral. Only she was larger than a skyscraper!

“Holy shit!” Thomas exclaimed.

“I can’t believe they stopped the train for this.” Vivian sneered.

“This just in.” Said the new anchor. “It seems Princess Coral has decided to come retrieve her lost pet dynastodon!”

The dynastodon itself was easily the size of a five story building, but Princess Coral was inhumanely big. It was inconceivable to Thomas. She picked up her “Mr. Krabbles” With both hands. The mere action caused a wave of ocean water to flood that section of the city.

“I’VE MISSED YOU SO MUCH!”  she said hugging the leviathan beast to her bare chest. Thomas was nervous to even be looking at her because she still had the appearance of a young child despite her impossible size.

“We all know that for the last century Princess Coral had been grief stricken over the loss of her most beloved companion.” The anchor continued. “As a result travel through the Emeraldine Ocean has been hindered considerably for most vessels, caused by storms and whirlpools created from her tantrums. Thanks to this recent development the Bloomstor chamber of commerce is eager to reopen trade with the Coral Islands and beyond! I must say it is good to hear a heartwarming story now and then!” the anchor laughed as the footage cut to a street level shot of Princess Coral kissing her pet. She held one of its pincers in her fingers and made a waving motion at the people below.

“THANK YOU VERY MUCH!” she said and then put the dynastodon to her ear. “MR. KRABBLES SAY THANK YOU TOO!”

“What is she?” Thomas whispered to himself.

“A god.” Vivian replied.

With that said, Princess Coral retreated into the depths from which she came, leaving the beach Thomas and Vivian had walked on less than an hour ago covered in water as well as the surrounding city blocks. The last of her Thomas saw was the flip of her fish like, silver scaled lower half.

“Impossible.”

 


 


The monorail restarted and the rest of the ride had been uneventful. Vivian was not in the mood to talk so Thomas spent most of his time researching things on his T-ome. It wasn’t anywhere near close to downloading all the current updates the process of which happened automatically through something called the uninet. It was the first thing he’d looked up, just how these mysterious devices worked. Outworld as it turned out had its own internet implemented around the same time as the Earth equivalent. It was unreal, and entirely different world with its own cultures, own races, own history. Not only that but Outworld specifically was a gateway dimension. That’s why they had such a dense and varied collection of species. Some were actually from different worlds, other planets like his Earth. Thomas wanted to research it further and find out just how deep the rabbit hole went, but most of that information hadn’t downloaded yet. He only got so far searching the net and Vivian would just shrug or growl at him when grilled.

For her part she seemed even more irritable than usual, if that was possible. She was typing away on her superior T-ome with clear frustration. Thomas had guessed she was in communication with someone and the conversation wasn’t going well judging by her mumbled swearing. It was all “Clipsing” this and “Clipsing” that! Thomas did find her use of Luna’s title as a damnation cute even though he wouldn’t dare tell her that.

“When we get to Winrey’s castle, just keep your head down.” She said out of nowhere.

“Why?” Thomas asked even though he hadn’t planned on making a scene. From what he saw of Princess Coral, gods seemed absolutely terrifying. Unreal in size and capable of unparalleled destruction with the most innocent of motions or slightest of whims. He wouldn’t dare crass one.

“Don’t question me okay!” She snapped. “Just keep a low profile. Will get what we need from Jasper and get out of there.”  

“Fine.” Thomas said. “I’ll just confirm that Winrey’ll return me to Earth when this is over and-
“NO!” Vivian barked. “We talk to Jasper, we leave. We can’t afford to waste time.”

“I’m not doing anymore until I get assurances.” Thomas said firm.

“Can’t you just trust me!?” Vivian cried and Thomas saw the hint of a tear. He didn’t think she was capable. Whatever that conversation was about had clearly shaken her.

“Okay.” Thomas relented. He felt Vivian didn’t really deserve any pity from him, but he couldn’t fight his natural empathy. For now he would do as she said. The cowardly part of him was even a little happy to do so, he wasn’t quite ready to talk to a  living goddess anyway.


The rest of the trip went without consequence. Thomas’ search for information had led him to researching the different species he’d encountered. He’d earned a sideways glance from Vivian when he’d gotten to spiderkin as she called it. His Colco being comparitively ancient technology meant it didn’t have a fancy holographic display like Vivian’s. Instead it had a crease that pulled out into a view screen so he had to look at it like a handheld game. So engrossed was he that Vivian had to thwick webbing in his face to get his attention.

“We’re here.” was all she said.

Thomas looked out the window. They were in what he assumed was the country. There was nothing but open field outside. Was this still considered Bloomstor? He wasn’t sure. He looked around to notice only Vivian and him were remaining on the train. At some point the rest of the passengers had left. He was so engrossed in his T-ome he hadn’t even noticed.

“Where are we?”

“The plains of Averan.” Vivian responded. They walked into the field about a football field away from the train stop. She took out her T-ome and dialed. “Jasper we’re here.” She folded out her T-Glass and actually pulled it apart into three separate glass slates. With all four arms she pressed each slate multiple times causing them to light in different flashing intervals of colors.

“Before you ask I’m sending out a signal so Jasper can pick us up.” Vivian said. “Should be any moment now.” The slates of glass hovered in the air suspended by nothing. Vivian crossed her arms as the moments became minutes. She sighed and pressed a button to her slate.

“Jasper, hurry the fuck up!” She shouted.

“Jasper’s busy.” came a feminine voice, VIvian froze. “But I can get you.”

Vivian didn’t say a word. Thomas felt the wind around him chill. He could see the pebbles in the ground rise around him, there was an energy in the air. Her heard a loud bang, like a gunshot and suddenly he was surrounded in a white flash of light. He closed his eyes from the burn of the light. When he opened them they weren’t in a field anymore, but in front of a castle. Thomas instinctively stepped back in awe, never seeing a real castle before in his life. That’s when he lost his footing and fell backward into nothing. He just kept falling.  He flailed his arms and spun around to see clouds in the blue sky. What?! He was free falling in the air! He fell straight through a cloud. The cold vapors moistened his face and outfit. He broke the cloud barrier and saw the ground coming up fast! He didn’t have a parachute! Part of him wasn’t sure he would actually die from his collision with the earth below. He hadn’t drowned despite his body’s insistence on breathing, but that did nothing to fight back the absolute terror he felt in coming to terms with his own mortality.


“Hehe. What are you doing?”


Thomas heard the girlish giggle. He turned his head but saw nothing but open sky.  


“You were always so silly, Thomas.”

“That’s why I like you.”



He stopped. He felt a force pull his back and he hung in midair a mile from the ground. Was he flying? Did he have the power to fly in the Out World? That was amazing! For once he was actually thankful that he’d died if he got to live out this childhood fantasy. He pushed his arms out in front of him in his best imitation of Superman. He hoped that would propel him forward but he didn’t move.

“What are you doing, human?” he heard.

Thomas looked over his shoulder to see Vivian there. He wasn’t flying, she had caught him with a web by the back of his poncho. Her other hand was held up above her with a silken string ascending up toward a patch of floating landmass up above.

“You have a death wish or something?!” She hissed. “You won’t get out of this by killing yourself! I still need you!” She lifted him up with her two free arms. Thomas was almost jealous at the convenience they offered. It must be great having two extra appendages.

“Hold on.” She ordered and Thomas was confused before he realized she meant for him to grab onto her. He complied wrapping his arms around her shoulders and neck. With him secured she started climbing up the silk line much like a spider up a web.

 


 


Jasper was waiting for them. A man could be seen waiting by a small wooden door in comparison to the much larger gateway it was adjacent to. Thomas didn’t know what he’d expected but Jasper was surprisingly mundane. He was just a man. Rather tall at over six feet, but nothing Thomas hadn’t seen before, nothing inhuman. He seemed older with greying hair slicked back and neat, he had a bushy mustache goatee combo, and a nose polite people would describe as prominent. He was dressed in a tight black and white monkey suit with gloves and cufflinks. He really fit the stereotypical “butler” motiff. This was the man that could track down Luna?

“Do you have them?” he asked.

“Right here.” Vivian said. She took off her jacket to reveal a tight fitting black tank top underneath as well as the beads wrapped around her lower left wrist. This was the first time Thomas had gotten a good look at her without her suit coat. She was surprisingly human. Fit, trim, athletic, with modest, very human bumps on her chest.

“What did a spider need those for?” he wondered.

She’d caught him staring and growled.

“Don’t flatter yourself.” He snipped. He was actually surprised he had that vinegar in him especially since she might have just saved his life.

“Ingrate.” She spat.

“It’s nice to see you’ve made a friend.” Jasper deadpanned. Vivian sneered at him too. He ignored it and extended a hand. “Master Waldo. It is good to see you again.”

“Have we met?” Thomas raised an eyebrow. Jasper was human, but he had a distinctive look. He’d remember if he’d ever met that face. He shook his hand.

“Indeed.” Jasper said, pumping his hand. “Come along. The Mistress wishes to speak with you.”

“No!” Vivian denied. “We’ll wait out here. Just sniff the beads or whatever you do and point us in the right direction.”

“It is not wise to defy the will of a goddess.” Jasper informed.

“Clipse her will!” Vivian seethed. “We’re trying to find HER daughter. TIme is a factor!”

“What’s the problem?” Thomas glanced at Vivian. She wasn’t frowning or sneering like he’d grown accustomed to. In fact she looked almost frightened. Was she shaking?!

“Mistress Rayna is sleeping, Vivian. We can make this quick, but I’m afraid I must insist.” Jasper insisted.

“Rayna?”

“Mistress Winrey’s first daughter. The sun that always rises. Her light warms us in the dark and leads us to glory. Luna’s older sister.” Jasper informed.

Vivian grimaced at the full title.

“Then I’ll stay out here.” She said.

“NO!” Everyone heard in a voice that seemed to have no origin. They were surrounded by it. “I WISH TO SPEAK WITH YOU AS WELL DAUGHTER OF SPIDERS!”

“If you would.” Jasper opened the door to the castle and beckoned them both inside.

“Dammit.” Vivian cursed.

The hall’s a Winrey’s castle seemed ripped straight out of a Castlevania game in Thomas’ opinion. Dark cobblestone hallways, black stone walls with pillars and chains connected to nothing, numerous weapons of immense scale adorned the walls on display. A spear with a serrated blade head the size of Vivian’s body. There was a two handed sword with gold and silver inlays that was a long as a tour bus, and the skulls. Winrey must have hunted in her free time because the skulls and skeletons of different creatures seemed to be her favorite decoration. One was what Thomas could only assume was a mammoth’s head.

Thomas was suddenly very nervous.

“So what is Winrey like?” He dared to ask.

“She is a very fair woman, Master Waldo.” Jasper informed. “She will return you to Earth when your job is done.”

Vivian flinched at Jasper’s mention of their deal. If he knew there was no chance Winrey didn’t .

They went down another hallway and Jasper stopped them at a door. A normal sized door. Based on the previous proportions of the castle and weapons Thomas assumed Winrey was a giant, maybe not on the scale of Princess Coral but that sword alone looked capable of cutting an orca in half like a sausage. The person who wielded it wouldn’t be behind a door this size, and there was no adjacent door to a grander scale.

Jasper knocked once, then again, then a third time.

“Come in!” They all heard, It sounded like the same voice that had assaulted his very soul at the front door but far less powerful. They entered and Thomas’s nostrils were immediately teased with the smell of cinnamon. Not just cinnamon either, but butter, and honey, and sweets. Someone was baking. They rounded a corner and to Thomas’ astonishment they were in a fairly common looking living room next to an open kitchen. A small woman in a yellow dress and apron was humming and dancing to a pleasant melody of orchestra music.

“Sit down!” she ordered in a harsh tone that betrayed an attitude in stark contrast to what she was doing. Both Vivian and Thomas complied, but Jasper stood by the door resolute.

*Ding* the oven beeped. The woman opened it and the aroma of cinnamon became that much stronger.

“Brighteye.” The woman said.

Vivian shot straight up and walked stiffly to her. She stood at attention while the much shorter women opened the oven and pulled out a tray of fresh cinnamon rolls. She took one and popped it in Vivian’s maw.

“I know they need icing.” She mused. “But sometimes you can’t beat right out the oven warm.”

There was a pause as she regarded the spider-woman with a mouthful of baked treat.

“Well?”

Vivian was silent.

“HOW’S IT TASTE YOU WORTHLESS HALF BREED!?” The woman’s voice echoed throughout the castle and possibly the world.

“Delicious!” Vivian said gobbling it down.

“Thank, you.” Said the woman. “Sorry for calling you a worthless. I’ve been trying to work on my temper. It’s not been easy.”

“Oh, not at all!” Vivian insisted. “You did nothing wrong, Winrey of the thousand blade-”

“DON”T!” Winrey said. “Winrey’s fine. I hate that name. You realize peasants gave me that name? Peasants! And it stuck! Don’t apologize for me either!”

Vivian nodded.

“Beads.” Winrey said. Vivian presented her arm and Winrey snatched them up. She inspected them. She tossed them through the air to Jasper.

“Take care of that, dog.” she said.

“At once.” Jasper bowed and exited the room.

Winrey regarded Vivian once more. “Never deem to speak for me again. You haven’t earned that right yet, young lady.” she said. She took Vivian by the cheek. “Clear?”

“C-crystal ma’am.” Vivian stuttered.

“Good.” Winrey gave Vivian a peck on the cheek. “You know what you did wrong. Now leave us.”

“Can’t I just-”

“LEA-.......” Winrey took a deep breath. “Leave us, child. That’s an order.”

Vivian was stilted as she slowly crept away from the woman. She leaned into Thomas’ ear and whispered. “Please don’t die.”  Then she left in the same direction as Jasper.

Thomas was left sitting alone while the woman went about her business in the kitchen.

“Help yourself to some lemonade dear. she said.

Thomas looked around the room. There were cozy couches, a  rocking chair, and even lace doilies and knitted coasters on the wooden table. It reminded him of his grandma’s old home in Cleveland. He found the lemonade sitting on a dresser in a  glass picture next to some glasses. He poured himself a glass and noticed a framed picture. He inspected it and saw..himself?! Himself as a child, sitting in his mother’s lap. They were on a towel in the field. He remembered this day. They were tailgating a Raiders’ game. His dad had gotten drunk and punched out a Chargers’ fan. What he didn’t recognize where the two others in the picture. A woman cuddling what must have been her daughter. The woman had dark hair, and brown honey colored skin. Her daughter was surprisingly pale, almost white, like the moon. Thomas’ brain hurt. He felt he’d seen both of them before. The face of the older woman flashed in his mind. She was looking down on him, dressed in rags and a dirty coat. He remembered a hot tongue lapping against his opened skull, and foul breath. He was choking, but who was that other?

“Luna.” he said to himself.

“She really liked that picture.” Winrey said. “You found her once, when she was lost. That’s why she thinks you can do it again. Foolish really.”

Thomas jumped nearly dropping his lemonade. He turned around to be eye to forehead with  a surprisingly short woman. She had that same dark hair and brown, honey skin. The same face, the same sharpened eyes, he remembered the bus crash, the boot to his throat. He was staring at the woman who killed him.

“Cinnamon bun?” She offered holding a tray of fresh treats with delicious cream cheese icing.

 


 


Thomas sat as stone across from the woman who murdered him. The goddess Winrey, the goddess of war. A goddess of war he remembered Vivian stating. Did that mean there were more? She’d killed him! With a dirty, grim coated boot pressed against his neck. That’s where he’d heard the name Jasper before! He was the bloodhound!

“Putting it together Thomas?” Winrey asked rhetorically as she poured her own glass of lemonade. “I had intended for the bus to kill you, but you were a bit tougher than I’d expected. Fortunately I’m accustomed to getting my hands dirty. Don’t hold it against me.”

Thomas was still motionless. His tongue felt caught in his mouth, stuck to the top. Where did he even begin?

“Have some more lemonade.” Winrey refilled his glass. “It will calm your nerves. You’re holding up pretty well I’d say. For a dead man that is.”

“How do you know my mom?” Thomas choked.

“That’s not the first question I expected.” Winrey giggled. “We have a yoga class together.”

“That’s it?”

“She doesn’t know I’m the goddess of war.” She said with air quotes. “If that’s what you’re really asking, but we’ve been friends for years. She’s mentioned me to you by name over five times Thomas. You do not pay attention to that poor woman.”

Thomas was speechless.

“How are the rolls?” Winrey asked.

“A tad dry.” Thomas answered.

“Finally an honest response!” The goddess gasped. “Do you know people tend to tell me what I want to hear instead of being honest? Happens with the whole goddess thing. It gets annoying sometimes. I’ve been trying to replicate a Cinnabon, but I can’t! What secret ingredient are those people hiding to make their buns so fluffy and moist?”

“I-I don’t know.” Thomas shrugged. His brain was taking the day off.

“Relax, Tommy!” Winrey said. “I’m not as scary as my reputation implies. I don’t kill people unless I have to.”

Thomas gulped. “Why don’t I remember you...or Luna?”

“Life.” was Winrey’s dismissive answer. “Let’s just get to business.” The goddess placed her hand on the table and a light sparked from underneath her palm.

“Vivian made you a deal.” she lifted her palm and a form came into being. Thomas’ form, a perfect doll sized likeness of his body. “I don’t normally dabble in the powers of creation, but making you a new body is trivial.”

“So I am actually dead?” Thomas spoke.

“Of course.” She informed. “Out World is the plain between two holy realms. You can’t come here unless you’ve shed your mortal form unless you were born here. Vivian should have told you all of this….but she didn’t did she?” Winrey sighed. “Don’t worry about it TomTom. I can get you back home. ALIVE! Just so that you’re sure.”

Thomas looked at the little doll that represented his body. The key to living his life again, and seeing his loved ones. He didn’t know if it was a wise decision to want to go back, but he had unfinished business on Earth. People he had to say goodbye to, people he loved. Jenna…….she’d hurt him on his final day, but she didn’t deserve to think he was dead. To have to live with that guilt.

“I can make some improvements to if you want.” Winrey took the doll in her hands and started manipulating it with her fingers like clay. “Wanna be a little taller, shorter, better...equipped?” She smirked as she presented a new doll to him. It looked the same except a tad more muscular, just a hint of a longer, wider mass, a squared masculine cut to his jaw, and to Thomas’ embarrassment a significantly larger penis.

“Nothing too crazy of course. You still have to look like you, just a better you. Jenna won’t give Markus a second glance with that lady killer between your legs!” Winrey teased. “Unless you do want to be a completely different person. Why not try a life as a woman, or a dog, or a pole dancing porcupine?!” The doll switched between many different forms and shapes and it was clear Winrey was having a bit of fun with him.

“Just me..normal me, is fine.” Thomas said.

“Fair enough.” Winrey shrugged. “But let me make this clear, Thomas Waldo. Payment will not be made unless you successfully find my daughter.” She shattered the doll of him in her hand. “I would not even be offering this if that spider hadn’t opened her big mouth. I have no desire to return you back to that cesspool. Your place his here, by my daughter’s side. Not floundering in mediocrity.”

“I have to go back.”
“Yes, yes. I’m aware of your very human attachment to lingering regrets.” Winrey retorted. “I’ll send you back, happy and healthy. Most people won’t even know you left. But only if you can find my daughter and bring her back safely. If not.”

Winrey paused and took a sip “I’ll shatter your soul into a million celestial fragments and you can wander the same purgatory my daughter has been imprisoned in! Then you’ll find her!” she beamed and took a bite of cinnamon roll..

Thomas could feel whatever sliver of life he had left in him drain from Winrey’s nonchalant threat to his existence.

“Oh dear.” she gasped. She stood up and took him in an embrace. “I didn’t mean to scare you Tommy boy! Luna would never forgive me!. I just want you to know I’m serious.” She looked up to him while not breaking the hug. “I’m asking now. Please find her.” She looked hurt, scared, remorseful. “Please.”

“I will.” He said firmly. He hugged the small goddess tighter to him and was surprised to hear her squeak. “I promise.”

“That Jenna girl is out of her mind.”  Thomas heard her whisper.

“You know about Jenna….I shouldn’t even be surprised.” Thomas broke the hug.

“We’ve all read your file dear.” Winrey mused. “Although it doesn’t surprise me at all. You have the aura of a baby lamb. You’re almost asking to be preyed upon.”

“No I don’t!” Thomas said indignantly.

Winrey laughed out loud. “I remember once, Luna pushed you down in the sandbox during a game. You scraped your knee and were crying like a newborn!”

Thomas did remember that. If was the first time he’d even been injured that he could remember. He was maybe three at the time. He thought a boy had done that to him! Most of his childhood memories were fuzzy. He hadn’t truly come into his own until middle school. Then again most people didn’t remember their early years except for a few standout moments.

“Well then.” Winrey clapped. “Let’s get to the real business. Jasper should be able to find more remnants of Luna’s essence and in the meantime your little stunt with Mr. Krabbles caused a very interesting-”

An ear splitting scream could be heard from the hallway.

“Great.” Winrey sighed. She took a deep breath. “Thomas, be a peach and go check on your little spider friend.”

“That was Vivian.?!”

“She must have run into Rayna.” Winrey stated. “I have to clean up. I’ll be out in a moment.”

Thomas was already gone, out the door and down the hallway.

Winrey smiled. Jenna was a fool, you don’t pass up on someone like Thomas. Now if only his mother would hurry up and die. Jordan. That woman smoked at least two packs a day and still hadn’t kicked the bucket! Life was dreadfully boring without her. Plus she actually knew how to bake. Winrey took another bite of her “dry’ cinnamon roll.

 


 


When Thomas got to the main hall he collided with a mass of warm flesh. He found it to be an ankle. A giant one belonging to a woman much larger than him by many times. She had bright golden hair and bronze skin that radiated with a reddish glow. She was wearing a long silken robe that was red with golden trim. There was a slit in the side that revealed her bare leg all the way up to her hip. It implied she was wearing nothing underneath.

Thomas heard a squeal and looked to see she had Vivian held firmly in her left hand. The irate spider was stabbing it relentlessly with her two stingers.

Then their eyes met. Golden, shimmering, burning.

“Thomas Waldo. It’s nice to finally meet you.”

“Don’t-Arrrgh!” Vivian cried out in pain as this goddess increased the pressure on her body.

“Ms. Rayna!” Jasper barked. “This is highly unbecoming of a goddess!”

“Silence, mongrel!” The goddess bellowed. “Before I have your balls cut off.”

Jasper seemed to growl at that remark but immediately regained his composure.

“Spoiled, false god!” Vivian spat. She continued to stab futilely at Rayna’s hand.

“You of all should know that doesn’t work, insect.” Rayna smiled. “You seem to have a serious respect issue.” She squeezed again, causing Vivian to shriek.

“Stop it!” Thomas bellowed.

Rayna turned her attention back toward him. He flinched as she lowered herself down to one knee. From this new angle Thomas could see the deep valley formed from her  exposed cleavage. It further enforced the strong possibility she was nude under her robe.

“Very, brave aren’t you.” Rayna smiled. “Or very stupid to raise your voice at a goddess.”

“S-sorry.” Thomas said, He’d spoken out of  reaction but he had instantly regretted it.

“Don’t apologize.” Rayna cooed. “It’s a noble trait I adore in humans, but I’m afraid it’s wasted on this pathetic thing.” She squeezed Vivian again. This time the spiderkin only gasped and wheezed in agony. “She is incapable of such emotions.”

“Pr-pretender!” Vivian insulted. “You killed her didn’t you!”

“Please.” Thomas spoke up to keep Rayna’s attention and spare Vivian more punishment. “Don’t you think squashing a bug is a task not worth your time? I’m obviously new to all this but surely a goddess as it were has far grander pursuits worthy of her attention.”

Rayna smiled. “I know what you’re doing human...and I don’t dislike it. How about this?” She leaned in closer to Thomas until her face was only a arms width away. He could feel the heat coming off her body. She was quite the alluring woman. She almost radiated both beauty and sexuality. She breathed and it felt like the warm rays of summer after a long winter indoors. To his shame, he felt his arousal stirring.

“Join me.” Rayna said in a breathy voice. The sultriness of it, the subtle moan she’d emitted almost had Thomas at full mast. “We can find my beloved sister together.”

“Don’t listen to her!” Vivian screeched. “She’s a jealous cow titted, whore! She would lead you astray! She murdered Luna!”

“Enough!” Rayna snapped. “It seems you need to learn your place, bug!” Rayna rose to her full height and towered over them all. “I’ve learned in my lifetime that there is no greater teacher...than pain.”

“Learn your lesson well, speck.” Rayna whispered to Vivian. She grabbed Vivian’s arm between her thumb and index finger. The lower left one she’d been wearing Luna’s bracelet on.

“Don’t do-” Thomas went to-.

*SNAP* The arm broke like a twig.

Vivian wailed out in pain.

Time slowed as Thomas watched Vivian drop to the ground along with her limb that had been completely severed. A fountain of orange blood dripped from her lost appendage.

“Thomas Waldo!” Rayna addressed snapping him out of the trace of witnessing Vivian’s suffering. “Pay no mind to the mewling of my sister’s precious pet. Give strong consideration to my offer. There is no better ally you could have than a godd-”

“Enough child.”

Rayna turned to see another woman behind her. Thomas recognized her as Winrey, but she was no longer the tiny woman, trying and failing at cinnamon rolls. She was tall, taller than Rayna, and adorned form the neck down in deep black armor.

“Mother!” Rayna bowed. “I thought you were busy.”

“Someone has called upon me.” Winrey stated. “I can’t very well show up to a battlefield in a frilly dress and apron….Although?.......” She shook her head. “Maybe another time. I do wish you would refrain from breaking your sister’s things in her absence. She won’t appreciate it. That would be unwise for you.”

“I’m not afraid of her mother!” Rayna boasted. “My power has only grown in her death. I pray for the day she comes back so that she too may bask in the sun’s radiance! I will-”

“Begone.” Winrey sighed and Rayna vanished within a flash of light. “Children.” Winrey went to the wall and inspected each of the giant weapons that adorned it.

“Jasper where am I going?”

“Cor Draghnar, mistress.” he infomed.

“Ugh. Dragons!” She sighed. “I guess I’ll need a sword then.” She hefted the large two handed blade from the wall. “I appreciate your restraint in that matter, but don’t feel hindered by my orders. Rayna could use a bite to the ass every now and then.”

“I will take it under advisement.”

“She didn’t kill, Luna.” Winrey spoke down to a stunned Thomas. “She loves her sister too much. Besides that, Rayna is not skilled at shadow games, she doesn’t have the intelligence to murder Luna without leaving a mess.”

“I uhh..It must be difficult being a parent.”

“Hmph.” Winrey smirked. “Rayna’s grown arrogant in Luna’s absence. Without the moon her power grows unchecked.  Be wary. Just because she didn’t kill her sister doesn’t mean she wants her back.” A helmet appeared out of thin air. A wicked black headpiece with the skull of a great lizard imbedded into the iron.

“FIND MY DAUGHTER AND…….TEND TO THE SPIDER.” Winrey used the tip of her blade to point to the pool of orange blood. Vivian was gone and so was her arm, a bloody trail led down a hallway. “SHE IS MY DAUGHTERS BEST FRIEND IT WOULD BE A SHAME TO LOSE HER.”

With that Winrey vanished into a puff of smoke.

 


 


Vivian held her severed limb in her lower right hand as she carefully applied her webbing. It was a careful mixture of her thinner silk for weaving with her more viscous silk that was technically mucus. She could reattach her arm, but if would be careful and precise work. Her hand trembled and the arm fell on the ground.

“”Dammit!” she cursed. She could feel her tears stream down her face. “Clipse that glorified lightbulb!” She had to be the one that killed Luna! She remembered the day. She remembered seeing Luna fall into the ocean, leaving a crater in the reefs. A simple comet shouldn’t be enough to kill a god! Something foul reeked of the whole situation and Vivian knew that the goddess that shined brightl was involved. She had the most to gain. She picked up her arm again. It was crucial to line it up correctly so the ligaments would reconnect when she healed but her nerves were getting the better of her. She should have kept her fool mouth shut! She was just a bug afterall! She had no business mouthing off to a goddess. She was just an insignificant wall crawler. She’d only even gotten her job because Luna had put in a good word for her. She didn’t deserve anything she had. She didn’t deserve Luna.

“You okay?”

Vivian looked down from her place next to Luna’s bedside. She had he own special pillow there.

“Go away.” She whimpered.

“Can you send down a line or something?” Thomas yelled up to her. “I can’t climb that high!”

Vivian ignored him.

“Jasper gave me news on Luna!” He added.

Vivian knew it was bait, but she shot down a thread anyway just for the chance to hear anything about her mistress. When she felt a tug she yanked him up.

“You were right.” He said as she pulled him up. “Jasper said that there’s an energy surge at the Reefs. We’re going to the Emeraldine Islands.”

Vivian went back to her task of trying to reattach her arm. She dropped it again.

“Clipse it all!” She broke down into a bawling mess.

“Easy now.” Thomas put his hands up to approach her.

“Go away!” Vivian croaked. “You can find Luna on your own! I’m sure Winrey promised you what you wanted. You don’t need me now! No one does!”

“Luna does right?” Thomas tried. “You’re her best friend.”

“I’m her pet, human!” Vivian bellowed. “ The bug you find in your lawn and keep in a glass jar! She won’t want me if I’m broken!”

Vivian picked up her arm for a third time and tried again, but she was shaking so much her arm fell out of her palm and rolled towards Thomas’ feet. He picked it up.

“Let me help you.” he said.

“Why?!” Vivian hissed. “You don’t like me! I’ve treated you like trash since you got here!”

“Not true.” Thomas countered. “That muddle beetle was pretty good.”

Vivian turned her head. She’d forgotten all about that.

“Here.” Thomas took Vivian’s severed arm by the joint and pressed it into the broken socket where it had been crushed. “Tell me what to do.”

“Twist it.” Vivian whispered. He complied twisting it slowly until it sunk deeper into Vivian’s open wound. A few more twists and in slid in, in one push quicker than Thomas had intended. Vivian winced and whined as it cracked open her damaged exoskeleton.

“Sorry!” Thomas hastily apologized jumping back.

“No.” Vivian said. “You lined it up right.” She held her arm in its place and tried to move the fingers of her severed limb. It was numb but they just barely wiggled. The nerves were connected.

“Have you done this before?”

“Once when I was a child.” Vivian explained. “I fell out a tree. My mother helped me back then. Of course it was a lot easier back then to. Could you…” she paused. “Could you please hold it steady for me?”

Thomas took her arm in his hands and held it firmly in place. With it secure, Vivian bent down and spit up more silk from her mouth and mixed it with the stuff from her hands. Slowly she weaved a makeshift  cast for her arm. When she was done she gave it a few test rotations.

“I won’t be able to move it for a while, but I think I’ll be okay.” ….”Thank you.” She added.

“So...Rayna...there’s some history there I take it?” He tried.

“Can we not talk about her.” Vivian requested.

“Is this Luna’s room?” Thomas asked. He looked about the massive bedroom with constellations painted on the walls, star shaped pillows, and a rug shaped like the moon. “She has a theme.”

‘She hasn’t lived here in decades.” Vivian said. “This is more like a rest stop for her.”

“Shame.” Thomas shook his head. “I was hoping to figure her out a little bit. Try to remember her.”

“You will.” Vivian said. “Luna believes in you and so should I.”

“You’ll be needing these then.” he said tossing her Luna’s beaded bracelet. Vivian clutched them possessively to her. She looked to Thomas. He smiled. Luna had chosen him for a reason and she was starting to see why. He was nice. It was as simple as that. She put them on the wrist of her injured arm.

“Thank you…...Thomas.” she said. “Let’s go find Luna.”

“Sooooo?” he smirked. “I guess you’re Luna’s Mr. Krabbles huh?”

“Even with a broken arm I can kill you very easily, human.” Vivian smiled baring fangs.

“You are aren’t you?!” he teased. “You have a cute nickname too?!:

“Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!”

“Is is spiderkins? Webby? Silkypoo? Mrs. Web?”

“I’m only cutting you slack because I’m injured!” Vivian warned. “It would be so easy! I could end you without a second thought.”

The two moved on off the dresser and toward their next goal, one step closer to Luna. The moon who eclipses us all.


 

Chapter End Notes:

No art this time. Mostly because I've been striking out on what I find to be postable. I might have something next time if I can think of a good idea. Probably like Sabrina or Thomas or something. I'm open to ideas. Not that I'll draw them of course. Just ideas in general. Any good pyramid schemes out there? I'm losing focus now. 

Leeeeeeavvveee a comment.