- Text Size +

 

Since the earliest medical writings, the organism occupying Elite bodies has been mislabeled as cancer, primarily due to the replicative effect it has on cells. The organism itself is symbiotic, lacks sentience, and exists inside all types of cells, including male sperm and female ova. Mode of transmission from Elite to human is unknown.

Due to organism function, Elite tissue regeneration is measured in hours instead of days or weeks. In certain environments, especially those high in heat and humidity, regeneration can be measured in mere minutes.

Elites are unable to harbor viruses or bacteria (malignant or benign). Microbial flora inhabiting skin, gut, and mucous membranes are destroyed early in stage one of Elite ascension, though the exact method of destruction is, as of yet, unknown.

- Excerpts from On Elite Biology, Third Edition, 1974


Les chose a clean-looking seat in the middle of the sparsely populated bus. Since yesterday, she’d grown another couple of inches, matching her mom in height. As a result, her legs didn’t fit as easily as they had in the past. She shifted her knees up against the seat in front and reclined back. It wasn’t the most comfortable position, but it would do.

Unfortunately, her sister wouldn’t be joining her at school today, not after puking her guts out this morning. Dad said it was probably just a stomach bug, a twenty-four hour thing, but Les didn’t buy it. She didn’t know how, but she suspected Ky was either faking or responsible for her own illness. And it was a strong suspicion too, as if Les could read her sister’s mind.

“So.” Paisley appeared to the left and sat down beside Les. The girl, towering nearly a head taller than Les, sat in a similar fashion, but with knees planted even higher against the seat ahead. “Where’s your big sister today?”

“She’s sick,” Les said. Why wouldn’t this creepy girl simply stay in the seat she’d claimed, the one at the back of the bus? Les had chosen the middle seat specifically to avoid her.

“Too bad,” Paisley said. “I was looking forward to congratulating her on becoming an Elite.”

“She didn’t become one, but I did,” Les said, wondering if she’d given away too much information.

“Clearly.” Paisley flicked a silver horse charm on her bracelet. “I was being facetious. Oh wait. I’m sorry. You probably don’t know what that word means, do you?”

“Leave me alone,” Les said. Paisley reminded her of the typical Elite, conceited and snobby and someone Les hoped never to emulate.

“It’s a free country,” Paisley said. “I can sit wherever I want, especially since I’m the ranking Elite here.”

Les turned her gaze toward the window and tried to focus on something else. Anything else. Anything aside from the rude redhead sitting adjacent.

“Anyway,” Paisley said. “Please inform your sister I intend to make her my first vassal. Since she’s not ascending, I assume she’ll have no problem with the arrangement.”

“She doesn’t want to be your vassal.” Les snapped, scowling at the condescending pre-Elite.

“What she wants is irrelevant, as I’m sure you’re aware,” Paisley said. “Or perhaps you’re not. Poor thing. In that case, let me educate you. By law, an Elite can claim any free human as a vassal, so long as he or she doesn’t exceed the maximum of two. And, as you can plainly see, I have no vassals yet.”

“It also says you can’t claim the vassal of another Elite,” Lesly said, somewhat proud she’d remembered the law. “She’s going to become my vassal, so you can forget about it.”

In reality, Les would become Ky’s vassal, but making such a statement to someone like Paisley would only result in ridicule. Ky could pull it off, but Les wasn’t Ky. Besides, the vassalship bond would be formed no matter what, and it would make Ky immune from predatory Elites like Paisley.

“As I’m sure you’re aware, the bond is meaningless if you’re not an Elite,” Paisley said. “And since I’ll be the first to attain full Elite status, I’ll be the one claiming Ky as my vassal. End of story.”

Les couldn’t think of anything witty to say in response. Unfortunately, Paisley was correct. Les could lose her sister to this girl, and in doing so, she’d lose her mind too. She loved her sister more than anyone or anything in the world.

Lesly’s chest constricted, making breathing difficult.

“Don’t worry,” Paisley said. “As I mentioned earlier, I’ll probably become a Mega. So, I’ll simply make you my vassal too, and you won’t have to be separated from your precious sister.”

“You’d do that?” Les asked, finally able to breathe again.

“Of course,” Paisley said. “In spite of what you may think, I’m not a cruel person. I have no desire to make your sister hate me, at least not for the long term. Quite the opposite. She’s the only person I’ve been able to read. She’s special to me. I want her to be happy, but at the same time, I want to own her.”

“So I'll be able to see her as much as I want?” Les asked, finding it difficult to believe. “What about our family, can we see them too?”

“Yes and yes,” Paisley said. “As a Mega, I intend to be very generous with my vassals and their families. I’m wealthy even without the Mega stipend, so it won’t be a problem. However, the less you resist, the happier you’ll be.”

Oh...ok,” Les said.

“You can start by sitting with me at lunch, instead of that pitiful boy I’ve seen you with,” Paisley said. “I simply cannot eat with free humans. They’re so feeble-minded. You’re not the brightest bulb either, but you’re ascending, so I assume you’ll become more interesting over time.”

“Jakob’s not stupid,” Les said.

“Perhaps,” Paisley said. “But he’s definitely not Elite, and there are other reasons I prefer not to sully myself with such peons. Honestly, I’m surprised you don’t feel the same way. You probably will soon.”

“What about my sister. She’s not Elite.”

“She’ll be my vassal, so it’s different,” Paisley said. “She’ll carry a small piece of myself with her, and it’ll elevate her above the rabble. She’ll never hold a candle to my greatness, nor yours, but she’ll be worthy of our presence and attention.”

Paisley exemplified all the things she hated about Elites, but Les locked onto one thing in particular. Ky would be ‘elevated’, if only by a small yet discernible amount. As far as Les knew, vassals gained no abilities beyond an enhanced empathic connection with their Elite, but it was still something normal humans lacked. Maybe it would help Ky feel more special. Les certainly hoped it would.

“Just wait,” Paisley said. “After we move to a city designed for the superior races, we’ll have the best time together. You may think I’m just another snobby Elite now, but you’ll come to enjoy my company. I can be quite fun and caring when you’re obedient. You’ll see.”

Les had no problems obeying, but it would be a stretch for Ky. Les would have to find a way to sell Paisley’s plan, perhaps make Ky think it came from herself. After all, they obeyed their parents to an extent, so obeying Paisley wouldn’t be much different. She’d be a new paternal figure in their lives, but they could still enjoy their lives as they did today.

It might work. It’d have to work. Les would find a way to make it work because the alternative, losing her sister, wasn’t an alternative she could live with.

Not now, not ever.

*****

Les bit into the celery stalk, marveling at how what had once been a tasteless vegetable now teemed with earthy flavors. While not flavors she could readily identify, they were delicious and varied nonetheless, similar to how oak bark differed from maple leaves.

Ok. Perhaps not the best analogy.

“I still can’t believe it.” Amanda sat across from Les at the lunch table, hardly touching her food, her eyes glued to Les. “What did she say? I have to know.”

“I bet she was gutted.” Harriet, the British transfer student, said. “I mean you grow up thinking you’re pre-Elite, then find out it’s your baby sis instead. Oh ya. Properly gutted is what I say.”

They, along with three other girls who claimed to be Ky’s friends, waited for Les to respond. It was nerve-racking. With her pre-Elite status, she’d stumbled upon unwanted popularity, and without Ky around, she didn’t know how to handle it.

“Um,” Les said. “She wasn’t happy at first, but she’s over it now. Mostly.”

“Poor Ky,” Amanda said. “Honestly I’d pretend to be sick too if it’d happened to me. Too embarrassing.”

“I know,” Harriet said. “I’d be — ”

“She’s not embarrassed!” Les said. “She’s sick. She threw up. Aren’t you supposed to be her friends?”

The girls bowed their heads, looking remorseful and no small amount nervous. Les realized she might have projected fear, but she couldn’t do anything about it now. Given their attitudes, they deserved it. Ky didn’t need friends gossiping behind her back.

Out of the corner of her eye, Les spotted Paisley sitting down at an empty table. After excusing herself from the still-stunned group of girls, Les got up and carried her tray toward Paisley. Along the way, she flashed a hesitant smile to Jakob, who, as usual, ate alone. She’d already explained she’d be unable to eat with him today and he’d said he understood, but she sensed he felt rejected. She’d have to make it up to him in seventh period.

Les plopped down across from Paisley, who, like herself, dined from a plate loaded with vegetables.

“Just ignore them,” Paisley said, taking a bite out of a yellow pepper.

“What?” Les asked.

“I heard it all.” Paisley pointed to her right ear. “If you concentrate, you can listen to conversations across the room.”

Les frowned. “They’re being inconsiderate. Ky really is sick..”

“They’re human, selfish creatures who take pleasure in the misfortune of others. You may not see it now, but you will as your brain evolves.” Paisley finished off her pepper, swallowing everything, including the stem.

“I don’t know,” Les said. “We were once human too, right? My brain doesn’t feel any more evolved than it did last week.”

“You’ve only just begun your ascension,” Paisley said. “You’ll get smarter and you’ll eventually understand — it’s not our role to be friends with them. Rather, we are to lead them, whether it be through vassalship or governance. If we don’t create the laws, no one would. Imagine a world without rules. A world where human nature, in all it’s spitefulness, was left unchecked.”

Les thought back to the news stories, the images of Elite heroes saving lives and throwing lawbreakers behind bars. She couldn’t deny Paisley’s words. Elites did have a responsibility as leaders, and she herself would soon belong to their ranks. Still…

“Ky’s different,” Les said. “She never gossips about anyone. She acts mean sometimes, but in her heart, she does the right thing. She’s nothing like those other girls.”

“Your sister’s different.” Paisley bit into a raw onion and Les prepared for the tears. However, they didn’t arrive. She found she could enjoy the fresh smell without tearing up, as could Paisley. “But she’s still human. As a vassal, under my guidance, she’ll accomplish a lot. For a human, that is.”

“She’s going to become Prime.” Les braced herself.

Paisley swallowed her latest bite, then set the onion down, a half smile forming on her face. “Is that what she said? She wants to become Prime?”

“She will become Prime,” Les said. “When my sister puts her mind to something, she makes it happen no matter what.”

“Hmm.” Paisley steepled her fingers together in front of her mouth. “I’m fascinated by this sister of yours, which is saying a lot for a human. Judging from your expression and what I know of her mind, she honestly thinks she can become Prime. You, on the other hand, have your doubts, which means you’re starting to see things more clearly.”

“I don’t have doubts!” Les said.

“Ok, ok.” Paisley held up a hand by way of apology, but her irksome smile didn’t waver. “The good news is nothing about vassalship precludes one from becoming Prime, so you won’t have to worry about me standing in the way of her dreams.”

“Really?” Les asked. “So you’ll help her?”

“So long as she’s obedient, she may do whatever she wants with her life,” Paisley said. “The same goes for you. My demands will not be so extensive or complicated, and you’ll both have time to pursue your personal goals, as long as they don’t conflict with my orders.”

It sounded too good to be true, but nothing in Paisley’s face indicated she was lying. She seemed to have some respect for Ky, which was more than Les could say about Ky’s so-called friends. In fact, the longer she spoke with Paisley, the more Les came to see her as being a little like Ky. Confident, sometimes condescending, yet successful and refreshingly honest. To Les, the latter two qualities mattered more anyway.

“Are you going to eat that?” Paisley pointed to the radish on Lesly’s plate.

“You can have it.” Les handed it over, then watched the redhead bite off the bulb and swallow it whole.

“If you want to grow faster,” Paisley said as she lifted a raw potato to her mouth. “You should eat more.”

“Ky says it doesn’t really matter.” Lesly munched on another celery stick. She didn't feel particularly hungry, but she rarely did anymore.

“Ky’s wrong,” Paisley said. “Or maybe she’s just delaying the inevitable.”

“Ky wouldn't lie to me,” Les said.

“Perhaps she’s not lying,” Paisley said. “Perhaps she’s simply not telling you everything, trying to keep her ‘little’ sister around as long as she can. No one would blame her. Soon you’ll outmatch her in every possible way. You’ve felt it haven’t you? The power building inside you? I’m sure you’ve felt it. All Elite feel it eventually.”

Les flushed slightly at the way Paisley said the word feel, as if she’d witnessed Les touching herself that morning.

Eager to change the subject, Les asked, “Sometimes I notice you’re in the bathroom for a long time. What are you doing in there? If — if you don’t mind me asking.”

Paisley blinked, then smirked. “I’m not peeing all over the toilet seat, if that’s what you’re wondering.”

Les blushed furiously, mortified at being called out and essentially outsmarted. She’d intended to throw Paisley off her stride with the question, but it had backfired.

“Don’t worry,” Paisley said. “It’s not like I’m going to run around telling the school about your little accident. I’m not human, remember.”

Les nodded, thankful none of Ky’s friends had discovered the incident. If they had, it would’ve surely made its way across all the grades by now.

“And, to answer your question, I think you know what I’m doing in the bathroom.” Paisley bit into her potato, skin included.

Les furrowed her brow...Oh!

She couldn’t be doing that, could she?

Paisley shrugged, not appearing the least bit embarrassed. “When you grow as fast as I do, you have to find release. It’s natural, and only humans find it embarrassing. As a member of a superior race, you’ll soon discover there’s nothing taboo about enjoying yourself. Some suggest it even helps accelerate growth.”

“I know!” Les said, hating feeling like a child being talked down to. “I do it too. Sometimes. Just not at school. And I know there’s nothing wrong with it.” Her face warmed, but she couldn’t do anything about it.

Thankfully, Paisley didn’t prod. “Any more questions about what it’s like to become Elite?”

“No.” Les started in on her food at a renewed pace, determined to eat everything on her plate. The school had loaded it with all kinds of veggies, and she’d planned on tossing away most of it, but not anymore.

Ky wouldn’t lie to her, but it couldn’t hurt to finish her food, could it? Besides, it gave her something to do besides talking to another Elite, one who clearly outclassed herself in almost every way possible.

Once she and Ky became Paisley’s vassals, she’d be able to learn more about how Elites should behave. Not everything about Elites was bad. She’d learn it all and, with Ky’s help, pick and choose the right attributes. She’d become the best Elite she could be, just like her sister wanted.

Just like she herself wanted.

*****

Lesly’s second game of chess ended in less than eight minutes, two minutes shorter than her first. She’d won both games, each time checkmating Jakob’s king with her queen. The first victory had been dismissed as a fluke, but not the second.

“Wow.” Jakob pushed his glasses up on his nose. “How are you doing this? You hardly won any games last week.”

“It’s like math.” Lesly touched her temple, feeling somewhat guilty. “Something in my brain shows me the answer.”

“Can you turn it off?” Jakob asked. “It won’t be any fun if you win every game without trying.”

“Um, I dunno.” Les had never considered turning the magic answers off, but something about the concept appealed to her. “I’ll try.”

Ok.” Jakob reset the board. “If you can’t, we’ll play a different game. Surely Elites aren’t better at everything.”

She honestly hoped he was right. She didn’t want to stop attending the club simply because the games had become too easy, and she didn’t want to stop seeing Jakob.

Of all the people at school, he was the only one who still treated her like a normal person. Granted, he still had an inch or two on her, an advantage which would likely disappear by tomorrow, but she doubted her increasing size would change his personality. Jakob would continue to be Jakob.

Fascinatingly, she found she could indeed block out the magic numbers by erecting a wall in the back of her mind. So long as she mentally faced away from the wall, she couldn’t see through it to the answers, nor was she tempted to do so.

The next game lasted a full twenty minutes, and she lost nearly as badly as she usually did, but she had to think once again, and it made all the difference for both of them. She could remember things a little better than last week, but not looking at the answers made an enormous difference in her performance, a difference which a extra memory did little to mitigate.

“I told ya you could do it,” Jakob said as he checkmated her.

“You’re just happy you’re winning again,” Les said, but with a smile. With his help, she’d found a way to keep some of her humanity. She didn’t give him enough credit sometimes, but Jakob was almost as smart as her sister.

Jakob checked his watch. “I think that’s the last one we have time for.”

“Awww.” She wanted a rematch, but he was right. The bell would ring in few minutes.

“I’m glad you’re still coming to the club.” Jakob picked up the pieces and placed them in the cloth bag. “I figured you’d stop coming since you’re practically an Elite now.”

“What?!” Les helped him with the cleanup. “Why would I do that?”

“Uh...well you sat with Paisley at lunch — ”

“I told you,” Les said. “She’s probably going to claim my sister and I. She insisted I eat lunch with her.”

Standing up from the table, Jakob scratched the back of his head. “So I guess you’ll eventually move away to an Elite city, right?”

“Um.” Les hadn’t thought that far ahead. “I guess.”

“Ok, well...” Jakob put the board back into its spot on the shelves. “You’ve got my number now, so don’t be a stranger.”

“Hey you can text me too,” Les said. “Anytime. I don’t think Paisley would care.”

Even in her own ears, the words rang hollow. She didn’t like the idea of moving, and she certainly didn’t want to abandon her best boy friend (not boyfriend) before the school year ended.

“Sure,” Jakob said, tossing his backpack over his shoulder. As usual, he picked up hers and tossed it over his other shoulder even though, with her new stature, she didn’t need the help.

“There is another way.” Les stood and met him nearly eye to eye. “You could become my vassal.”

His face went through more emotions than she could identify. “Seriously?” he asked. She couldn’t determine if the way he’d asked was good or bad.

“I mean — I’d never force you,” Les said, suddenly feeling self-conscious. “And if you did, I’d never make you do stuff. You know I’m not like that.”

Jakob went straight faced for a moment then smirked in a way that told her he’d gotten her good.

“You jerk!” She laughed and shoved him on the shoulder, but caught him by the shirt as he toppled toward a nearby table.

“I dunno,” Jakob said after regaining his balance. “I’d finally worked up the courage...I was going to ask you out this year. But now, I guess it’s impossible. So, I don't think I could become your vassal. It would be too weird, ya know?”

Her heart literally stopped in her chest after the ‘ask you out’ part. Had he admitted he wanted to be her boyfriend? So unfair! How could he admit it like this, then hide behind the whole Elite thing?

Even more unsettling, if she was being honest, she liked him too. Once again, ascension seemed to be doing more harm than good in her relationships.

“You’re right.” She struggled with the words, each like an arrow torn from her chest, each leaving an open wound behind. “It would be weir— ”

His lips met hers in a flash of heat. She had no time to react, her muscles frozen as two words seared her brain: First kiss. First kiss. First kiss!

He didn’t grab her, and she didn’t grab him, but their faces pressed together as if drawn by opposing magnets. It was only a peck, close-lipped and awkward, but it was soft and lingering. He wasn’t wearing his glasses and their noses slid together like puzzle pieces. His heart thudded, as did hers, and in spite of her ‘super’ hearing, she couldn’t distinguish between the two beats. With hot blood rushing through her cheeks and ears, her lips began to part.

And the bell rang.

Their faces withdrew, his reddened and wide-eyed, hers likely the same. She pressed her lips together, tasting them, seeking proof the last few seconds had been real.

“Well, that happened.” Jakob donned his glasses and, with a forced smile, turned and walked toward the door.

Her mind awoke from its endorphine coma, and she hurried after him. “That better not have been a joke!”

“It wasn’t a joke.” He stopped at the door, turning to look at her with his serious, though still red, face.

“So, does this mean you’re my boyfriend?” Les asked, utterly confused.

“I dunno,” Jakob said. “Wanna be my girlfriend?”

“But...I’m an Elite.” Lesly winced as soon as she’d said it.

“I guess that’s a no.” Jakob reached for the door and pulled.

Lesly slammed it shut, and took a deep breath, then smiled wider than she’d ever smiled in her life.

“It’s a yes,” she said. “I’ll be your girlfriend.”