- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Am I still writing this even though no one reads it?....Yes I am! :D

 

MAJOR/minor SPECIAL: minor debateable

 

Izzy had never hated anyone before. Not her former friends who had fought over her like a toy, not even Darren who had used her as such. Her mother had told her that to let hate in your heart was to narrow your mind and close yourself off to both love and understanding. You couldn’t love everyone, you shouldn’t love everyone, but you should try to understand them. If you could do that then the entire world would be open to you. Her mother was a romantic, she was also wrong. Izzellah Ivory hated Shawna Beaulac!

 

Izzellah had “hated” lots of people, lots of things. She hated her papa a few times. Like when he’d crushed her tricycle playing football when she was five, or when she found out he was dating “Gloria”. Come to think of it she hated Gloria most of the time too! This was different. This was a loathing and resentment she could feel in the pit of her chest, it only grew as the girl spoke some of the most vile, ignorant, anti-minor propaganda she had ever heard.

 

“This “movement” is only going to get minors killed.” Shawna said. Izzellah wasn’t even sure how this conversation had even started. She’d went to meet them, “friends” of Lindsey or at least Helena was. Both cousins of the giant Matthewson and it showed. Helena was very much a giant among MAJORS and the tallest person in the room. Shawna possibly the shortest but she still had the genetic curves of the family although they were significantly less than anything MAJOR. It started off harmless enough. A simple handshake soon to devolve into this.

 

“Are you insane!?” Izzellah shouted. She was shouting?! Dammit, she’d lost control so easily, but Shawna had this smug smile! Like she’d already won somehow. They’d just started talking. Perhaps it was easy to feel vindicated when you were coddled like a prized pet with the luxury of not even having to read, or think. “How could you even say that?! You’re a minor.”

“Exactly.” Shawna said. “So I know what I’m talking about. We’re small, weak, our place is by our MAJORS side. Supporting, them, encouraging them, so they can love and protect us. Not out driving where can easily get runover, voting in elections we have no business in, forcing MAJORS to look upon us with ire. Not everyone wants to live independent from MAJORS.”

“Then don’t!” Izzellah snapped. “That doesn’t mean the rest of us don’t have that right. The right to choose. That’s all I want.”

“The right to choose is the right to disobey. Disobedience to MAJORS is a sin. An afront to god’s will, but I don’t expect someone without faith to understand.”

“Faith?!” Izzellah gasped. “How dare you?!” She moved forward but felt herself be pulled back by Sabrina.

“Put me down!” Izzellah shrieked.

“And now you’ve lost your temper.” Shawna huffed. “It’s to be expected. You obviously haven’t had a competent MAJOR around to teach you how to act in polite society.”

Izzellah saw red. She wanted to scratch this girls eyes out or knock the teeth from her throat. Is this how MAJORS felt all the time? It was awful. Her blood was pumping so fast she thought it would spout from her veins.

“Shawna that’s enough.” Helena said. “You’re being rude.”

“Sorry.” the minor replied rather delicately. Suddenly she was seemed ashamed and demour like a scolded puppy.

Izzellah could almost be thankful of the MAJOR’s intervention if it didn’t stink of the hypocrisy Shawna had just praised. It took an enlightened and superior MAJOR to contain her, to silence Shawna. They’d been talking for less than five minutes. The smug smile Helena wore the whole time added to her salt. It was clear where she stood on the minor rights debate as well. It was almost ironic that Shannon had some of the most staunch detractors among her blood relatives. Perhaps it was even indicative of the MAJORS disposition toward rivalry in general.

“Put me down.” Izzellah said more calmly.

“Are you-”

“Please.” She whispered. She was disappointed in herself. She was terrible at debating in general. Her perspective seemed so natural she expected people to agree with her. It caught her off guard that it was not the case and the words were lost on her. Not that it would help with someone like Shawna. She barely knew this girl but could recognize she was stalwart in her convictions. It might have even earned the fro wearing minor a kernel of her begrudging respect. That only made her hate Shawna more. Such a tiny person was capable of creating such rage inside her so quickly.

Sabrina relented. Izzellah knew she was looking for some sort of follow up, a small sign of reassurance but Izzellah couldn’t give it to her. How would that look? After spouting off like that checking in with her MAJOR to show that she was “okay”. Izzellah sulked away into an empty corner to brood alone.

 

 


 

 

“She really lost it, didn’t she?” Mabel chuckled.

“That’s not something to laugh about.” Sabrina seethed eyeing Izzellah from the corner of her eye. The minor was half heartedly punching out her frustration into a punching bag so high she could barely reach it.

“Why not? It’s funny.” Mabel grinned. “She deserved to be taken down a peg anyway. Maybe it’ll teach the little princess a little humility. I mean that afro puff wasn’t even using logic!”

“You really disappoint me sometimes.” Sabrina said.

“It goes both ways.” Mabel said. “You should’ve stepped in as soon as Izzellah voice rose above a whisper. It would’ve saved her pride.”

Sabrina bit her tongue. She didn’t know Shawna, but the minor’s beliefs were as easy to read as a children’s book even to a dim bulb like her. She could only imagine what a MAJOR with actual acuity could skim from her. Mabel probably knew as soon as the minor had walked into the room and of course she’d done nothing. Of course that was the risk of Izzellah’s precious freedom. You were equally free to make an ass of yourself.

“And my disappointment of you continues.” Mabel teased. She leaned her head over toward the Izzellah Ivory pity party where a new member was trying to crash it. Lindsey Ferrand. Of course the lovesick pre-teen wouldn’t leave her crush to wallow. “You just gonna let that one slip by you?”

“No.” Sabrina said. “Eye’s up. You might get that fight you want sooner than later.J”

Mabel grinned.

 

Lindsey quieted down the anger boiling inside her. She didn’t have time to be frustrated with Helena for just letting “that” happen. It wasn’t her place to stop either Shawna or Izzellah’s brief verbal joust and the it added to the irritation. Still there was an opportunity before her she wouldn’t miss. Izzellah could use some comfort and she was primed to provide it. Refocus this visit back to the positive. Teach Izzellah a few more moves, maybe help her with some starting weights, they probably had some light enough for a minor in the storage, maybe she could hold her a little and-.

“Stop.” Sabrina said pulling her back roughly by the shoulder.

“What!?” Lindsey snapped.

“Leave her be.” Sabrina more ordered than suggested.

“Don’t touch me.” Lindsey hissed. “I’ll do as I please.”

“She doesn’t want to talk to you.”
“You don’t know that.”

“She doesn’t want to talk to anyone.” Sabrina insisted. “Let alone you, you’re friends with those two neanderthals.”

Lindsey bit her lip. “You have one second to remove your hand before I deck you.” Lindsey warned.

To her surprise Sabrina actually removed her hand. She was at least smart enough not to cause a scene. Then Sabrina pushed her fist hard into Lindsey’s shoulder. To anyone observing it probably looked playful, but it hurt too much for that. ]

“You bit-”

“Calm down.” Sabrina grinned. “Izzellah’s right there. If she sees you throw the first punch this is over.”

“You think I’m gonna let this slide, Rodriguez.”

“You better.” Sabrina continued. “We have round trip tickets. We can be on a plane tonight. Let. This. Go.”

“You are not getting away with this.”

“I know.” Sabrina said calmly. “But for now, give Izzy her space.”

Lindsey narrowed her eyes. It was almost worth Izzy’s anger to smack her stepsis once across the mouth. Almost. She reversed her direction and walked toward her brother but made sure to give Sabrina a hard bump as she did.

 

Alejandro had seen the whole exchange. Everyone had, but he at least had enought tact to leave Izzellah alone for a few moments. Having your pride crushed wasn’t fun and an experience he’d known first hand.

“Can you go talk to her?” Lindsey asked rushing up to him.

“Weren’t you?” he smiled coyly. He hadn’t missed that exchange either.

“Please?” Lindsey begged. “That bitch won’t let me go near her. I should punch her through another tree.”

“Relax, Lind.” Alejandro said. “It shouldn’t be this hard to keep you in line.” he teased. “What would are parents think if they saw you this easily agitated? That blowback will fall on me! I don’t want mom and dad chewing me out!”

“They wouldn’t!” Linsey started.

Alejandro had to stop himself from laughing. Lindsey was so easily baited and the cusp of puberty was making it easier. “I’ll go talk to her. Your big bro will bail you out of another disaster!”

 

 

“Go away, Al.” Izzellah muttered. “I don’t want to talk.”

“I don’t blame you.” Alejandro said. “I’d thought you forgotten how watching that display.”

“Well thanks for having my back.” Izzellah said sarcastically.

“I wouldn’t have been much help even if you’d actually wanted it.” Alejandro said. “I can’t convince her either. I barely stand talking to her sometimes. Be thankful you don’t share a class with her.”

“That must be terrible!” Izzellah laughed.

“There’s a smile!” Alejandro beamed. “That was easy.”

“Only for you, Al!”

“Oooh, careful. I can’t have Lindsey hearing you talk like that. I have to live with her when you leave.”

“Don’t pretend like she’s not the reason you’re here.” Izzellah said. “You’d have to be blind to miss what just happened.”

“They’re gonna try to kill each other.” Alejandro said. “It’s our job to make sure they don’t.”

“Sabrina knows me too well.” Izzellah said with a wistful expression briefly lost in thought. “I’ve been unfair to her most of all.”

“She loves you.”

“And I love her.”

“Then why don’t you go for it?”

“I’m not worth it.” Izzellah said. “I’m just a spoiled as they say I am.”

“Well thanks for the warning.” Alejandro grinned. “I’ll warn little Lind not to waste her time and I won’t either!’

“You dick!” Izzellah laughed. “You’re just as spoiled as I am!”

“I’m roguish and charming!” Alejandro said. “And look I’ve got you laughing and feeling better I hope.”

“Yeah.” Izzellah said. “Just...tired. I’m such a baby. This trip was a mistake. I must look so bad.”

“You could never look bad.” Alejandro winked.

“Stop!” Izzellah was laughing loud now. “I swear I don’t know if you’re trying to be a wingman for your sister or get into my pants yourself!”

Alejandro blushed.

“And...now I’ve went to far.” Izzellah stopped. “Sorry. I know you’re with Shannon. I shouldn’t tease you.”

“You’re..not wrong, Izzy.” Alejandro admitted.

Now Izzellah was the one blushing.

There was silence between them.

“You wanna get out of here?” Alejandro suggested.

“Just you and me?” Izzellah asked.

“If...you wanted to.”

“I don’t think we could get away with that.”

“We’ve established that we’re both incredibly spoiled minors!” Alejandro noted. “We can get away with anything!”

Izzellah was sorely tempted. Alone with Alejandro. Anything could happen then. The baser parts of her were getting the better of her rationality, but rationality won out….this time.

“Yes, let’s leave.” Izzellah agreed. “But not alone.”

“Smart.” Alejandro said although the disappointment on his face was palpable. Izzellah felt the same thing, but loosing her virginity in an empty classroom might be spontaneous but it was hardly romantic and she’d only been in New Orleans a day. If they could even realistically slip away unnoticed, but this wouldn’t be the end of it. They still had weeks left of this trip.

 

 


 

 

 

‘We’re leaving.” Lisa heard. She turned her head to see Izzellah and Alejandro close to her with his arm around her shoulder.

“Oh, finally!” Lisa beamed. “Of course, I’m down for this!” Lisa eagerly embraced them both with a tight hug that pressed their faces against her chest. “I figured you’d be nervous to your first time out, Izz.”

Izzellah let out a muffled grunt against the strength of Lisa’s grip.

“We’ll start out slow, I got a few techniques I can demonstrate, I know Al will be “up” for that. Then we can ease into the rest. You got an empty classroom for this, slot machine? Preferably with something soft to lay back on.”

“Slot machine!?” Alejandro choked at her casual dig towards his handicap.

“Lisa take a cold shower!” Izzellah snapped. “He’s giving us a tour! Joshua’s coming too!”

“I mean I’m down for it if you are but I don’t think Derrick would be okay with that.”

“It’s not a sex thing, Lisa!”

“Pffff boring!” Lisa sighed. “Then I pass.”

“You’re are truly my best friend.” Izzellah deadpanned.

“And don’t you forget it!” Lisa agreed. “You’re gonna have to offer more than some boring tour for me to pass up on Sabby and Lind throwdown again. There might be blood this time.”

“Lisa!” Izzellah hissed.

“Izzellah!” She hissed back.

“I NEED you on this!” Izzellah admitted. “Is that what you want to here?! I. NEED. YOU.”

“Why?” Lisa asked.

“B-because you’re my best friend, and I don’t want to be alone on a campus I don’t know, I don’t want to….be alone with Al.” Izzellah admitted. “Please, I could use your support.”

“Really?” Lisa grinned sheepishly. “I mean if you’re gonna beg. Of course I got your back! What are we doing?”

“We’re ditching these MAJOR pain in the asses!” Izzellah said.

“Hey! You’re talking about my sister too!” Alejandro defended.

Izzellah raised an eyebrow.

Alejandro turned his head.

 

 

“No thanks.” Joshua said. He was perfectly comfortable cuddled in the lap of Derrick.

“C’mon please!” Izzy pleaded. “We need to be united on this.”

“No, offense but this has actually gotten kinda dull. Me and Derrick were gonna head home and get this sweat off him.”

Joshua squeezed his beau’s muscular arm. “He doesn’t smell too good either.”

“You like it.” Derrick smirked and both young men laughed.

“As you can see my schedule’s rapidly filled up. Maybe we can retry the whole tour thing another day?” Joshua offered.

Izzellah took a deep breath. She peered right into Joshua. “Listen, this is important. A step toward independence. With only three we will be ignored, but as four minors united we can stand strong in the face of our MAJOR oppressors.”

Derrick expression soured at that. He was a MAJOR and he was pretty certain he’d never oppressed anyone.

“If we don’t take this step now, we’ll never be seen as anything more than pets, slaves. Break your shackles, Josh! Seize your freedom, your rights, your respect!”

“Wow!” Josh said with widened eyes. “You’re really serious about ditching aren’t you?”

“Wouldn’t it be cool to be on your own for just a little bit?”

Joshua scrunched his face. “Fine.” he relented. “But only for a little while, then I’m coming right back to my Derrick.”

“Baby?”  

“Relax.” Joshua said. “You’re a big man. Trust me I know. You can live without me for a few minutes.”

 

 

Getting to the door was easy enough. Everyone had sort of separated into their own spaces after Izzellah and Shawna’s altercation. The MAJORS seemed happy enough to give the minors a few moments of their own. Except for Shawna who was happy enough to hang near Helena as her MAJOR worked out with Samantha. Sabrina and Mabel were chatting and Lindsey was working out her frustration on the same heavy bag Izzellah had been futilely attempting to assault. The difference was obvious as the chain rattled from the momentum of her punches.

“So what? We just walk out?” Lisa asked.

“If we’re casual enough about it no one will notice until we’re out the door.

“And if they follow?”

“That’s where Josh comes in.” Izzellah said. “You know this school right? We just need to turn the right corners and they’ll be searching for needles in an academic hay stack.”

“You make this sound to easy, Izzy.” Alejandro stated. “But fuck it! Let’s go!”

‘Go where?”

The minors jumped.

It was the blue haired MAJOR. She looked like Sonic the hedgehog with her hair combed back and spiked. Izzellah hadn’t even noticed her and couldn’t remember her name.

“Ditching?” She whispered.

“Yes.” Izzellah answered.

“Can I come?” She grinned back.

“No.” Izzellah shot down. “You must be under eight feet for this ride.”

“I am under eight feet.” She grinned wider! The girl removed her shoes shrinking down ever so slightly. She was still much taller than the minor four. Even Lisa by a least a foot but more like two.

“Bullshit you are.” Izzellah hissed.

“Minors only!” Lisa backed her up.

“Back off!” Alejandro added.

Joshua said nothing more occupied with the cuffs of his button up.

The girls eyes lit up and she snickered like she was in on some secret they weren’t aware of.

“Trust me I’m more qualified for this than you think.”

“Why would you want to hangout with a bunch of inferior minors anyway?!” Izzellah grilled. “We’re small, weak, boring. We’re just looking for a place to take a quick nap. These days can really get to ya and the gym’s too noisy for our delicate ears.”

“Any other MAJOR might actually believe that.” The girl said. “But not me. Now let me join you guys or I’ll make a scene and your shrinking window of opportunity closes.”

Izzellah surveyed the room. Lindsey was still deep in her bag. Derrick was fiddling with his phone. Suddenly Joshua’s phone buzzed with a text. Sam and Helena and….”Shawna” were otherwise occupied as well. That left Sabrina and Mabel who were still chatting away. Sabrina was eyeing Lindsey up and down with utter contempt. Then she turned and spotted them. Izzellah froze.

Sabrina raised an eyebrow.

Izzellah shrugged.

Sabrina sighed and just as Mabel was about to turn her head and see what her bff was looking at Sabrina re-directed her to look at Samantha Paolini.

Now Izzellah owed her.

“Fuck.” She sighed quietly. “Whatever. Let’s just do this.”

Alejandro reached for door. It was a little too heavy for him to open with his one arm. The blue haired girl took the handle from him.

“My name’s Jenny by the way.”

“I don’t give a fuck.” Izzellah hissed. Jenny opened the door for them and they were out and free...for few moments at least.

 

 


 

 

 

“They finally gone?” Mabel asked.

“Tch. Yeah.” Sabrina replied.

“It’s almost cute that they think they’re sneaky.” Mabel chuckled. “You ready to do this or what?”

“Yeah.” Sabrina nodded. “You take Paolini and I got Ferrand. We clear?”

“Crystal.” Mabel cackled and cracked her knuckles. They broke ways.

 

“Hey.” Mabel said to Samantha who was spotting for Helena.

“Go easy on the weight.” Sam said without a hint of that childish accent she had adopted.

“Why?” Helena grunted back pushing up another rep.

“You know why.” Samantha stated as Helena set the bar.

“So you can talk normal.” Mabel said.

Samantha peered at her.

“You know I saw you on T.V.” Mabel stated. “That exhibition in Florida. You were on the midcard against Ramona Sanchez. Made her tap in the first round.”

“You a fan?” Samantha asked.

“I guess you could say that.” Mabel smiled. “I always thought your right was a little weak.”

“Hmmph. Sanchez didn’t think so.”

“Sanchez was coming off 12 months of maternity leave. I’m pretty sure she was still breastfeeding when you fought her. Not really an achievement I’d brag about.”

“You trying to start something?”

“Trying?” Mabel laughed. She decked Samantha right on the jaw. “It’s already started. You know that.”

Samantha spat out a bit of blood. “You’ve been eyeing me since you walked in the room. Playing innocent when ya knew exactly who I was. Surprised you managed to control yourself around the minors.”

Mabel removed her top so she was just down to her sports bra. Her toned abdomen was on full display. “Still sure you don’t fight kids?”

“I’d be a shame to crush someone with so much energy.”

“You’ll find I’m not as easy as you’d think. Don’t think being a tier 3 will help either.”

Samantha took a deep breath.

Mabel flinched as a wave a pure emotion overtook her. A tidal wave she’d been all too familiar with. A leviathan so unique yet at daunting as the one she lived with, only this one was terribly focused.

Shawna screamed then passed out. Helena rose from the bench and went to cuddle her cousin and lover. “You could warn somebody first Sam!” She roared.

“You’re making a mistake.” Samantha said. “Little girl.”

Mabel smiled. “I sure hope so!”

 

Lindsey continued to pummel the bag as she felt Sabrina walk up behind her. This had went horribly and now Izzellah was gone. She’d blown it on her first real chance. The bag flew backward as the chain snapped. Sabrina’s fist held in the air next to her temple. Well at least there was a silver lining.

“You. Me. Ring. Now.” Sabrina said.

“Finally.” Lindsey grunted.

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Maybe tone it down a little ladies. What would your parents say? They'd be very disappointed! 

Maybe you'll comment? Maybe you won't? Maybe I'll see you next chapter? A lot of maybes flying around. Never deal in absolutes people. That's how you end up eradicating half the life in the universe and killing your daughter to do it.