- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hey everyone. My name's Notsirk and this is my first story on-pffffft! No it isn't! Anyone this far into this literary dumpster fire knows that much! New chapter. 

MAJOR/minor SPECIAL: Chapter 6: Breakfast Banter


A banquet was prepared. Izzellah found herself sitting in an extended booster seat at the end of a large luncheon table. Before her was a spread of brunch food that bordered on the extravagant. They were outside, next to the pool which had its water runoff cycling into a small stream built into it for ambiance. The morning air was still cool even though it was closer to ten than nine and the sun was rising over the house which help cast a shadow over the bruncheon table. Overall the mood was calm as the residents of the new Ferrand manor shuffled about the table. A generally pleasant morning. Too bad that did nothing to calm Izzellah’s unease.


It had only been a few hours since she’d prepared her own breakfast and in that time as the rest of the house wakened, the idea of brunch was suggested and enacted with little word from her that mattered. Lindsey had went for her jog, Lisa had gotten dressed, and she’d showered herself. She wanted to be out of the house by now, out exploring New Orleans, seeing the sites, but she’d been overruled by the will of the MAJORS. One MAJOR in particular. Shannon Mathewson. One suggestion from her and it seemed almost law. No one spoke to object, not even Alejandro who hadn’t eaten yet. She couldn’t really blame him even though she wanted to. Shannon was his girlfriend if not more, why would he go against her on something so petty. As for the rest of the “MAJORS”, they were more than eager for food, even Sabrina who Izzellah thought was on her side seemed enticed by a good meal. That or they were all too afraid to challenge Shannon. Izzellah couldn’t really blame anyone for that either. Everyone was a minor to Shannon.

And such was Izzellah left to pick at a plate of freshly prepared shrimp scampi courtesy of Mabel. It was seasoned expertly and just a hint spicy, overall delicious work, but Izzellah didn’t have much of an appetite. Not that anyone could eat under the watch of Shannon Mathewson. The “MAJOR” class MAJOR was currently taking up almost half the table side opposite of Izzellah. Despite the absurd amount of food in front of her including a whole chicken Mabel had prepared Shannon took surprisingly dainty bites. They were quick and efficient, she occasionally stopped to try and feed Alejandro, but he usually protested her babying behavior. He was huddled over his own meal like he was in prison and someone would steal it. Izzellah had to wonder what experiences made him act that way. He seemed to fumble his food sometimes with his one arm. Was it possibly embarrassment. She wanted to comfort him. It was incredible that someone who’d experienced what  he’d been through even tolerated group meals. That’s when Shannon looked her way. She gave a pleasant enough smile, but Izzellah still froze under her scrutiny.


“Enjoying your food?” Shannon asked.

“It’s fine.” Izzellah mumbled. She spoke low and with such an extreme height difference between them she couldn’t be sure Shannon heard her, but she wouldn’t give anything else. Just talking around Shannon took effort. How exactly was she supposed to negotiate with her again?


“Everything okay?” Alejandro asked.

Izzellah jolted out of her own head. “Everything’s great!” She spoke up. She even took a bite of shrimp to show she was easy. She couldn’t let her own sour mood ruin his morning.


“She’s tired.” Sabrina said taking a seat next to Izzellah. She was dressed in a tight fitting sleeveless top that stretched tight over her chest. It bared the emblem of Winton High on it. One of her volleyball uniforms. She had a plate of assorted fruit including oranges, grapes, and a large wedge of watermelon. As well as large stack of scrambled eggs and some light fluffy crepe like dish. “And she’s probably eaten already.”

“Don’t speak for me.” Izzellah stated. She didn’t need Sabrina to interpret for her, not in front of Al at least.


“It’s true though isn’t it?” Sabrina asked. She shoved a large bite of eggs in her mouth. “You don’t need to put on airs. If you wanna take a nap just do it.”

“Will you shut up.” Izzellah whispered.


“What’s with you?” Sabrina probed defensively. She looked around the table. She spotted Alejandro who was occasionally glancing at them between eating. “Oh. Trying to impress your boyfriend?”

Izzellah never wanted to hurt someone more in that very moment. Sabrina was developing quite the little attitude lately.

“Please.” Sabrina scoffed. “He slept in until almost nine. I doubt he could judge you.”


“I’m not tired.” Izzellah denied. She wasn’t really. Any fatigue she was feeling was more from frustration than exhaustion. “Just...fucking eat your breakfast okay.”

“You shouldn’t be so uptight.” Sabrina said. She leaned close to Izzellah and wrapped an arm around her. “Relax, Izzy. We’re on vacation.” Sabrina even dared to give her a slick kiss to the lips. Where had that boldness come from?!

“What are you doing?” Izzellah asked confused, but not quite upset. This wasn’t the first time Sabrina had made an advance on her and wouldn’t be the last. She never thought the MAJOR would have the courage to pull a move in front of other people though.


“I was awake this morning.” Sabrina mused and took a bite of her breakfast.

Izzellah flinched at that comment but nothing more was said. Sabrina was more than content to continue her breakfast with a coy smile. One that only grew as Lindsey sat down at the edge of the table. Right across from her brother and right next to Izzellah.

“Oh, what the hell?!” Lisa exclaimed as she approached the table. She was carrying a tray twice her size filled with appetizers over her head. “Why’re all the good spots taken!?”

She basically threw the platter which crashed onto the table and remarkable landed with everything on it in tact. Whether that was intentional could only be guessed but it impressed. “Why am I stuck doing all the grunt work?!” Lisa continued to gripe.

“Because you insisted on taste testing everything that came out the oven.” Mabel said coming right behind her carrying two equal sized plates of entrees. “When you’re in the kitchen if you wanna eat you have to work!”


“Slave driver!”

“Creten~”


Lisa finally sat down as Mabel presented the rest of the food. There were seasoned cabobs that were still sizzling, an assortment of baked mini cakes with icing. Tortilla wraps filled with cooked meat and lettuce, a whole pizza with pepperoni and lobster the diameter of a car tire, sausage with toothpicks skewered through them and a stack of pancakes the size of a mountain. That plus what was already on the table made for a culinary accomplishment that betrayed the decadence of the Ferrands food stores as well as Mabel’s competence in the kitchen. She’d prepared all this in less than 3 hours!


“You didn’t hold back did you, Mabel?” Izzellah observed.

Mabel snickered and few other MAJORS chuckled as well.


“This food will be gone in an hour.” Lindsey informed.


“Four and a half MAJORS here.” Sabrina also informed with a sideways glance to Lindsey. “”More like six with Shannon. All with increased nutritional demands. I’m sure Shannon alone could probably eat most of what’s here by herself.”

“I don’t eat that much!” Mathewson insisted.

“You kind of do, babe.” Alejandro spoke. “Don’t be embarrassed, your almost twenty feet tall.”

“I’m just a growing girl.”

“Still?!” Izzellah shrieked. All eyes pointed to her outburst.


“Doctor says I could be the first woman to break twenty feet.” Shannon revealed.


Izzellah was barely able to choke down a bite of food. No one spoke as she gagged and managed to swallow. Then there was dead air as Izzellah couldn’t bare to continue any adequate conversation. Not with this living giant right across from her. Twenty feet? That was over three times her size. She was dining across from someone who could casually crush her without even a hint of effort. Plus that same person was dating, possible engaged to the only person, the only man she’d ever shown true interest in. Fuck.


“Well this is awkward.” Lisa spoke with her mouth full. “Sooooooo……...How many people here have a crush on Izzy? Show of hands!” Lisa raised hers as example.


 


 



Izzellah had finished her breakfast. Truthfully she had finished eating hours ago when she’d made her own breakfast. She didn’t possess the bottomless stomach of those with even a little MAJOR dna. She might of been a bit peckish but the abundance of food more than satisfied that. Instead what she needed was fresh air, which she got by excusing herself from the table and sequestering herself in the shallow end of the pool where she could dip her feet and brood. What had she even come her for? To see Alejandro was the answer she knew in her heart, but he was attached to Shannon’s hip and she could barely speak around the mini giantess.


“Is she doing okay?” Lindsey asked. She was moments away from leaving the table to check on her.


“I should talk to her.” Sabrina insisted instead. “Her coming here is a big deal believe it or not. She won’t say it but I’m sure it freaks her out to be so far away from her dad. This is the farthest she’s ever been from home.”

“I’ll talk to her.” Alejandro said. Before anyone could object he was already out of his seat jumping completely off the raised high chair and landing with perfect balance.

“Rando?” Lindsey probed. She had multiple reasons to be worried.


“No worries, Lind.” He smiled. “This won’t take long.”

He jogged over to Izzellah and as soon as he was out of earshot Lisa smiled grew wide to show a significant amount of teeth. Her eyes narrowed and she started to cackle.

“They’re gonna makeout.” She laughed. “Now can a girl get a slice of pizza?”


“Oh no.” Izzellah gasped as Alejandro dropped his feet roughly into the cold water creating a splash. A few drops hit her in the face, but that wasn’t why she was upset. “I must have fucked up bad.”

“You think so?” Alejandro smiled. “It’s not hard for them to worry about you.”

“I don’t care about them.” Izzellah stated. “You walked out on breakfast.”

“I was getting full anyway.” Alejandro said. “Let the behemoths feast.”

Izzellah suppressed a smile. Alejandro made being charming seem so easy.

“Still I feel bad now.” Izzellah informed. “I didn’t want to ruin anything just because of my dumb feelings.”


“Miss your family.” Alejandro stated.


“.......Yes.” Izzellah revealed. “I’ve called my papa three times since I got here. It’s stupid. I feel stupid for even feeling homesick with all these people around.”

“You know I hate crowds sometimes.” Alejandro revealed. “It’s because of well….this.” He wiggled his arm stump. He’d chosen to forgo his prosthetic this morning.


“M-m-macferlan.” Izzellah stuttered.

Alejandro chuckled. “You don’t have to be nervous about it. It’s ancient history now.” He paused for a moment to collect his thoughts. “I was with friends when he took me.” Alejandro revealed. “A group, young, barely even kids really but still a group, but he took me anyway. It didn’t matter, and for awhile I didn’t feel safe around people.”

Izzellah just listened intently as Alejandro so calmly, impossibly recounted such a traumatic event with complete composure. He seemed almost jovial, like he could laugh at the situation.


“He just….took me.” Alejandro smiled. “And they let him. Afterward. I just didn’t go outside. When my family went out to eat, even fast food, someone usually Alaric had to stay at home with me. Shopping, family functions, we could never go anywhere. My mom claimed it was for years, but I don’t believe that. Even in a group with people who love and protect me I just couldn’t feel comfortable. And you want to know a secret?” Alejandro leaned in so close to Izzellah she started to sweat.


“I still don’t.” He said so softly it made Izzellah tremble. She could feel his warm breath in her ear. “Don’t tell anyone.”

“Really?” Izzellah asked.


“Of course.” Alejandro smiled. “I’m almost a country away from my parents, my brother. Don’t tell Lindsey but sometimes it just doesn’t feel right without Al hovering over me. He was with me y’know? During the incident. I don’t wanna brag but, I saved his life! Lind’s really jealous about it! Can you believe that? Girl’s jealous she wasn’t kidnapped and nearly killed by a psychopath. Sometimes I think she won’t be satisfied until she earns a face scar.”


“So why did you fly out here? Why do you stay out here.”


“I don’t know.” Alejandro said. “Maybe because I love my sister. She’s honestly one of the smartest people I know. She deserves a free ride to do whatever she wants and BF is as great a school as Winton. Maybe it’s because of Shannon, a billionaire love whisking you away to live a life of luxury is an enticing proposal.”


“You really like her huh?” Izzellah sighed.


“She’s an angel.” Alejandro swooned. “She rescued me, but I don’t think they make wings strong enough to lift her.”


Izzellah grimaced.


“Or maybe it’s because a certain girl inspired me to move on with my life. To believe that change was a good thing and not stew around in Old Creek forever!” He grinned.


“Al.” Izzellah turned her head. “You’re making me blush.”


“It’s that easy huh?” He laughed.


“Jerk.” Izzellah grinned and found herself slipping into his shoulder. Leaning against his strong body. His arm was firm yet gentle as he rested it on her shoulder. “I’m really glad I know you Alejandro Ferrand.” Izzellah mewed.


“Heh.” Alejandro hugged her. “Me too.” For a moment they just sat there. Two people with their feet in the water staring at the pool, at nothing really. Just a moment to themselves.


“Well.” Alejandro said first. “I better head back before Lindsey’s head explodes. She’s already stressed enough.”


“She’s crushing pretty hard on me isn’t she?” Izzellah observed. “I thought her heart would explode when I kissed her.”


“Oh!” Alejandro raised his eyebrows in mock astonishment. “Putting moves on my little sis are we?”


“It was an accident.” Izzellah informed. “She knows that but, I don’t think it helps.”


“Don’t break her heart.” Alejandro warned. “I’d have to stop liking you. And I don’t want to stop liking you, Izzellah Ivory.” Alejandro smile that most winning smile he had and strolled back to the table.


Izzellah stayed by the pool a moment longer. She was being silly. She was here for a reason. Alejandro had just given her some much needed context. He’d lifted her spirits to boot, still she wasn’t in a rush to join the group anytime soon. Let them all stew for awhile. She just needed time to get lost in her own world and figure out something important. At least she knew what to do next.


 


 



“And then he said “Are you okay little girl.”” Lisa imitated the man’s deeper voice in the story she was telling. “I was already fifteen by this point by the way.” She continued.


“Yeah, sometimes when I’m out it feels like I’m always five years old.” Alejandro added.

“So anyway I started crying.” Lisa winked. “Then a crowd formed. I think someone even dialed 911.” She started grinning almost proud of that fact. “The guy asked why I’d climbed to the top? What an idiot! It was a fricken jungle gym!”


“A “MAJOR” jungle gym.” Shannon said. “That was very dangerous.”


“And irresponsible.” Lindsey added.

“It’s easier to just call her stupid.” Sabrina quipped.


“And that’s why I can get into almost any waterpark in California for free!” Lisa beamed. This made all three minors at the table laugh. “Which is what inspired me to suggest this. New Orleans water adventure!”

‘Nnnnnnooooope.” Izzellah rejected. “I can’t swim, Al only has one arm, and you want to get in even deeper water!”


“Plus the gators.” Linsey informed.


“Gators!?” Izzy shrieked.

“Huge ones!” Alejandro boomed. “Size of a bear! I ran into one already.”

“And I punted it into the river!” Lindsey boasted.

“Mankillers.” Jandro whispered.

“No water!” Izzellah shouted. “And I think I hate New Orleans.”

“We’re going, girlfriend.” Lisa assured. “Even if I have to drag you! You promised me fun, this is a vacation.”

“A vacation I don’t want to die on.”

“I would actually like to see a gator.” Sabrina chimed in. “It kinda sounds like fun.”

“It’s not a game, Rodriguez.” Lindsey spat. “This town actually grows its gators as part of a wildlife conservation act passed in the late 90’s. Some of the larger ones can be as strong as we are. It’s not a game of volleyball. You need the proper physical training.”

“What are you implying?”

“That you can’t handle it. Obviously. Especially with those weak arms.” Lindsey flexed an impressive bicep considering both her age and size. “You have to get your hands around their mouth. Gators have a lot of bite strength. You can’t be a pussy out there or you’ll lose a hand, or worse. Plus you have to be certified.”

“Bullshit!”” Sabrina seethed.

Lindsey produced a plastic I.D. card with a flattering picture of her on it. It read. “Official wildlife relocation expert with a New Orleans county authority seal on it.


“It’s real.” Alejandro sighed. “I had to volunteer for her evaluation exercise. With “real” alligators! In plus 100 degree weather! On a weekend!’


“I’m getting certified.” Sabrina announced. “Izzy?”

“No.” Izzellah said instantly.

“I’ll go!” Lisa volunteered. “That’s sounds exciting!”

“Lisa don’t be drag into this.” Izzellah spoke. “She’s gonna have that license for all of three weeks. For what? To show up Lindsey? That’s asinine.”


“That’s fun.” Lisa emphasized with a hard look. “How are you having trouble with that concept.”

“I don’t find possible being eaten by a bear sized lizard fun, Lisa.”

“Then what do you think is fun?” Lisa asked.

“I-I….I wanna see the school. Ben Franklin. I wanna visit. See what makes is so great.”

“Nerd!” Lisa cried.

“That actually sounds like a decent idea.” Alejandro said. “I or maybe Lindsey could show you around.”

“Of course the boy toy agrees.” Lisa seethed.


“I’d be up for that.” Lindsey said with a little too much eagerness.

“You wanna come too?” Alejandro asked up to his large, lady, love.

“Oh!, Ummm, I’d love to.” Shannon peeped almost surprised to be offered. “But I actually have a business meeting today.”

“You want me to come with?” Alejandro offered.

Izzellah’s through dried out at the chance of losing Alejandro. She knew it was dumb to be jealous of a taken man, but she couldn’t help it.


“No, no, no.” Shannon denied. “Entertain our guests. It’s just a quick meeting with a freelance contractor. It won’t take too long and then we can all meet up for lunch and see the sights!”

“Uh, sure.” Alejandro said but gave his lover an knowing glance Izzellah couldn’t understand. Was the great Mathewson planning something?


“Well then it’s settled.” Lisa groaned. “We’re all going to school on our vacation. This fucking blows!”


 


 


The New Orlean’s weather was warm. Too warm for business dress or even business casual, but Mei Matsumoto tolerated it. Anything to make a good first impression. Not that she cared, but she was duty bound to see this meeting through. Truthfully it was worth it just to share a flight with Izzellah...and all that it implied. She momentarily distracted herself with a brief memory. The recollection of inner peace. Bonding a minor was something easily recalled with pleasantness....... That was enough. She checked the watch on her phone. It was 10:30. She’d arrived early but her family’s potential client was nearly late. Although she surmised with the amount of power and influence this person casually threw around you could afford to keep people waiting.

Mei felt a shift in the air. She could feel her coming, even if her steps couldn’t be heard. The woman’s mind projected power, an aura that probably intimidated most before they’d even laid eyes on her.

“Are you the representative of the Matsumoto design firm. I was expecting a man.” Shannon Mathewson greeted Mei with an extended hand. Mei took it and squeezed as firm as she could. This didn’t have the slightest chance of hurting the literal business titan, but she would know if Mei held back. The power struggle in even a simple greeting was expected, if immature and narrow sighted.

“My mother took ill.” Mei informed. “She’s a minor and prone to fevers. She couldn’t fly and my father wouldn’t dare to leave her side. I have the design blueprints and data as agreed upon.”

“Well then this should be quick.” Shannon smiled as she took a seat across from Mei. Her long hair was done up in a massive bun that fell down behind her and she wore a blood red business dress. Mei presented a briefcase, she opened it to reveal a series of papers and a thumb drive. Shannon took the papers first and gave them a once over. “It seems these meet the specifications we agreed upon. Good.”

“I believe they actually greatly exceed the requirements.” Mei informed.

“Of course they do. Your father is quite the visionary. Now I just need the data and-”

Mei pulled the briefcase back before Shannon could move for the thumbdrive.

“Is there a problem?” Shannon asked.

“Unfortunately we can’t finish this transaction until the price is renegotiated.” Mei stated flatly.

“The price was already agreed upon by your father.” Shannon informed.

“Yes. My father is a visionary, but he is also an artist and greatly undervalues his own work. After looking it over anyone with even basic business acumen could see this initial price is an insult. Especially from someone of your abundant wealth.”

“Your father may be a visionary but he is not the only designer in existence. My abundant wealth as you put it affords me the opportunity to shop around.”

“If that is your decision.” Mei bowed as Shannon stood up to leave the table. “I do doubt however you will find anyone capable of meeting your rather unique energy containment requirements outside of Japan, or for that matter a designer as capable of handling such difficult materials….anywhere.”

Shannon stopped. “Are you sure you want to do this?” She turned and sat back down bearing a predatory smile. Like a shark spotting a wounded seal.


“I’m afraid this meeting might not be as short as you originally intended.” Mei smiled back.




 

Chapter End Notes:

Where's Mei? There's Mei! That's why she was on the same flight as Izzy huh! Wonder what she's up to? Oh well! Never gonna focus on that again! 

I'm slowly getting back to full health. May even reopen my patreon in a few months and start putting real things into production. Until then updates will still be sporadic at best. Hope you can tolerate that. 

I might bring back and old story or something just to get back into writing though. It would be super easy since I would't have to write but just edit most of the chapters. Still tooling that around.

See ya folks whenever!