- Text Size +

Nurturing Talent

Jagged, Uneven, Coarse and Unacceptable. These are the only thoughts going through Charlotte's' mind as she inspected her toes, The crowd of assorted toe slaves gathered on the desk before her. Glancing down at the useless specks that were unable to perform this most simple of chores, She blew down gently on the group scattering them across the desk.

"Pointless specks, You have all earned painful ends"

She then began to pluck them from her desk one by one and drop them into her burning candle, watching them immolate and fall into the molten wax. Realising they may be dying quicker than she would like her thoughts turned to solutions for her toenails, By the time the last speck screamed there final breath, Goddess Charlotte had formed a plan in her mind.

Moving to her wardrobe, she selected a more conservative look of black jeggings and a floral loose fitting top. Adding a long deep red cloak and a slim tiara to her outfit she looked like a princess. Admiring herself in the mirror, she called for her maid. Sarah entered the room and surveyed the Goddess who was modelling to herself. She bowed deeply and offered service. Charlotte spoke without turning.

"I am going down to Pyraxi to get my nails done by a Professional. Cassi, You remember her, the prodigy nail artist. I plan on revealing my identity to her and bringing her back to serve full time"

Sarah already knew where her Goddess was going by her outfit. She played the role of Duchess Coral on that world and frequently visited when angry with tiny servants. Being a duchess meant she was still treated with the highest respect without the cowering fear everyone displayed in her presence as a Goddess. Still, this novel idea should be pressed a little; Charlotte had instructed her to question her sometimes to stimulate conversation when appropriate.

"Is that a wise move Goddess, The last time you brought someone back to "Nurture Talent" it did not go as expected"

Gesturing to the small trash can by the dresser, Inside a 5-inch human body could be seen, thoroughly roasted with a wooden stick shoved through the rear end. The remains of a 5 Star Celebrity Chef Charlotte had decided to bring back to serve full time. Gerald, his name was, had a conscience and when the Goddesses diet included a lot of living tributes he had a hard time working with the meat. Finding his cooking no longer impressed her, The Goddess shoved a cocktail stick into him and slowly roasted him over a fire intending to eat him. She had become bored by the time he was cooked and had been snacking on tributes while she waited, So he ended up in the trash. Snapping from her reverie Charlotte responded.

"Ah yea, Cassi will do better though, I think she will adjust to working with live materials"

Turning on her heel, she strode past her maid towards her stairs, cape flowing behind her, summoning the relevant accessories for the planet to her hand. This world used identity chips for services, so she needed to complete the illusion as she descended her stairs into a vacant stall in the ladies room of a high-end shopping mall. Seeing so many strangers up close while still knowing she could turn them all into a thin paste, at the same time, gave her certain pleasurable confidence. Stalking through the mall, she found her favourite salon, the one she had been coming to on and off for nearly five years now. Striding into the foyer, the girl at the desk leapt up to assist.

"Your Highness! We were not expecting you. Do you have an appoi...Why would you, Here you can come through, I will find someone for you immediately"

Charlotte allowed herself to be lead to a large luxurious styling chair, letting the girl delicately remove her cape and shoes before issuing her request.

"Cassi, I will have no other, Fetch her to me, I do not have all afternoon"

The youthful girl hesitates slightly as she searches for the words, looking at the floor before speaking in a quiet voice.

"Cassi isn't available; She joined the selected yesterday, I am afraid she will not be returning to us"

The Goddesses eyes flash with concern as she looked over to the girl, Then she reached into her purse and removed a small communication screen. Pushing the button for the world's leader, President Dayn, A video feed of him promptly appearing before her. He looked shocked but otherwise was able to compose himself, He was aware of who she was, He made her playful excursions legal in every sense so she could move unhindered.

"Hey D, I need you to send my nail stylist Cassi back to work from the Selected if you please, Quickly, This place is chilly"

She then closed the window before he could reply to her. Then she glanced to the awestruck receptionist girl gawking over her shoulder. She stumbled through a muddled sentence.

"I knew duchesses... power..but...President Dayn...How...You didn't even let him…"

Reaching over to confused mortal, Charlotte closed her mouth with a finger and held it closed for a moment before settling back into her chair.

"When Cassi gets here, You will send her through, Until then I would like to be left in peace"

Cassi was stunned and confused as her clothes were returned to her and she was hurried out into a waiting aircraft. Her dreams had finally come true, and now they were being ripped from her, and she had no idea why. The hypersonic craft was only airborne for a few minutes before it dropped her in a parking lot outside of her old work. This was a real nightmare; she was being pulled from heaven to go back to work! Rage boiled inside her as she stormed into the building.
Seeing Hannah on the desk she glared at her with projected fury, the small girl recoiled and gestured to Duchess Coral reclining in her usual chair, of course, it was her.

"WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE, WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME"

The outburst took everyone in the room by surprise; Even Cassi was surprised by her own fury. She thought it best to keep pushing while she was burning with rage.

"YOU RUINED MY LIFE SO I COULD FILE YOUR NAILS"

Coral just glanced back over her shoulder at Cassi and calmly gestured her over. Then she told her what she wanted to hear.

"When you're done, You can go back if you choose"

Cassi visibly calmed, sighed and shuffled to the Duchesses side. She took her seat by her hand and whispered a silent earnest apology. Coral glanced to her quizzically, then posed the question she had been mulling over since she found out about the selection.

"Why Cassi, Why did you put yourself up for Selection"

Watching the girls genuinely confused expression made the Goddess realise that her propaganda was so much more useful than even she realised. Then she got the heartfelt plea she knew she didn't want to hear, not from Cassi. She started work on her toenails as she spoke.

"I've been putting myself up for selection every year since I turned 18, The greatest honour we could hope for is being a Festive Tribute to the Goddess, Ascending to her Olympus to serve her"

Of Course, This is what she had to dictate; These were her words from generations ago when she first claimed this world. The reality of the situation only aroused her; It was her dark secret from her domain, her true nature manifest into her dark desires. Not Cassi though, She had talent, a real artist with a file and brush. Thinking over her next words carefully, she thought of revealing herself; then a more amusing idea came to mind.

"Cassi, I am happy for you. I am glad you are to be one of the lucky few. What Tray are you on?"

For her part Cassi seemed to be beaming with excitement to discuss her recent fortunes, talking in long strung sentences about the process so far, The Goddess found the whole thing complicated and unnecessary while being amused at the effort the world puts into pleasing her. Finally, she made it to the part where she explained they had awarded her Tray 1, apparently a high honour; The Goddess made a note to get that changed, Tray 1 barely survived till Tray 10 was added, She would rather her superior tributes be on Tray 10. Charlotte reached out with her divine power, something she rarely felt the need to do but sometimes power is there to be used, as time around her slowed to a stop, freezing Cassi in a bright smile. She then summoned Sarah into her hand, pulling her across the dimensional barrier.

"Hi Slave, I need you to add 500 tributes to Pyraxi's Festive Tribute tomorrow, I plan on recovering this one from Tray 1, and I would like to be compensated for my mercy"

Without waiting for a reply Charlotte tossed her doll-sized maid onto the floor, sending her back home just before she hit the floor. Taking another moment to look over Cassie's happy face, she hoped the reality of tomorrow did not crush her spirit. Time abruptly resumed, and the conversation continued as the goddesses Toe and Fingernails were restored to the perfection of which she was accustomed.

Removing her communication screen from her bag once again she pressed for the President one more time.

"Me again D, You can put her back now, Tray 1."

Then the feed was closed.

Cassi's face was showing the same astonishment as the previous girl, looking over her shoulder the other way Charlotte could see Hannah being dumbstruck once again. This time she did not attempt to speak and came over to place the shoes back on her feet. Offering her cape as the Duchess stood. Bidding Cassi a good evening and wishing her the best for the Tribute, she Elegantly and Regally, Strode away.

Charlotte ascended her stairs just outside the salon as she saw armed men coming to retrieve Cassi. Smiling to herself as she pondered the way her new Nail Artist was literally giving herself to her, It was so much more satisfying than just taking her.

Sarah was waiting for her as she returned. She looked hurt and was moving awkwardly. The Goddess may not care about much, but she was starting to like Sarah as much as a master loves a dog.

"What's wrong with you, You look like you fought with a staircase"

Sarah fell to her knees and lowered her head, clearly her reply was not going to amuse her Goddess if she was already pleading for forgiveness.

"You pulled me earlier while I was on the toilet When you returned me I fell headfirst into the ceramics"

The Goddess immediately inspected her hand, rage burning in her eyes. If she saw even the slightest speck of filth on her hand, Sarah was going for a full swim. Sarah sensing the imminent danger spoke up.

"I was clean Goddess, In that regard your timing was perfect, Returning me head first was the only concern"

Charlotte relaxed a little, still looking over her hand. Then turning her attention back to prostrate maid she exerted a little power, restoring her property to working order before heading into her study to look for some new planets to acquire. She had plans to remove a couple from her domain and needed some replacements.