- Text Size +

Chapter 19: The Wife’s Mariner

Alejandro’s trepidation rose to new heights as he entered the restaurant. It was probably one of the biggest building he had ever seen, dwarfed only by Old Creek’s hospital. Two stories high, with a broad façade and massive columns around the wide door leading inside. He could hear the humming of the seas from behind the building, since the Wife’s Mariner was built near the harbor, so peoples could eat by the sea during Spring, Summer and even Fall. Thankfully however, only the inside rooms were open from December onward. Alejandro wouldn’t have appreciated a full MAJOR course in a windy and chill building.

The Minor focused on the building’s history, hoping that it would calm him down. For the first time in ten years, he was outside of his home not to get a physical treatment or psychological therapy, but to enjoy a common social activity, even when he would be alone among a group of MAJORS he barely knew. His Mom’s dispositions made the prospect even more frightening. Clearly, Lindsey had told her what she suspected about Shannon and while Ofelia still wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt, she had become more distant with the Matthewson’s daughter.

Alejandro had felt the tension when he had gotten out of his room, in a clean black t-shirt and a dark grey suit. He hadn’t dared talk, he would have sworn that sparks had flown between Lindsey and Shannon and he didn’t want to be at the middle of this. It had been a great relief to have Alexis taking her daughter with her while he went into his Mom’s car. Once there, he put the prosthesis that his parents had ordered months ago. It was the first time he ever used it, and it felt strangely unwieldy and heavy. His body wasn’t used to having such weight on its left side.

“So…” had begun Ofelia, clearly searching her words. “How was your day sweetie?”

“I didn’t bond with Shannon, Mom” answered the Minor, quite abruptly.

“I wasn’t… why would you…” stammered the adult MAJOR, while Lindsey tanned skin became a whole lot darker, her face contorting in shame.

“I’m not stupid Mom. I’ve got a college level education, even if I’m home-schooled… and quite frankly, you aren’t exactly that difficult to read. MAJORS, I mean. Plus, I’ve talked with Lindsey already and I swear, I’m not bonded. Shannon didn’t try to force it either, really!”

He couldn’t exactly tell them that she hadn’t tried to take advantage of her size and all her curves to do more than innocent things because it would have been such a lie that he would have been quite ashamed of himself. And he had to sort out how he felt about all of this anyway, something he really didn’t want to discuss with anyone, save perhaps Shannon. Right now, his priority was to appease the tension between his family and the Matthewson’s.

“Are you sure that you aren’t… under a spell, my little miracle?” asked Ofelia tactfully, making use of the nickname she had given him even before he was born, if the old family stories were true. “You know, bonding may take many forms, it isn’t always something very… deep. Shannon could have done that without even noticing.”

Alejandro could have rejected this claim right away; he knew really well how it felt to be bonded against his will, after all. But his father had taught him to always consider every angle when confronted by a problem, an advice which had served the Minor well up until now. Therefore, he took his time, weighting his Mom’s argument. She has more experience than me when it comes to bonding, I must admit it, at the very least. And I’ve felt Shannon’s emotions in my mind for a great portion of the day so, obviously, she may have influenced me, even without wanting it. But, on the other hand, I’ve felt good for the first time in a decade this morning, before meeting her and while my emotions have been harder to keep in check than usual, I know I’m whole, even without a bond so

“I’m fine Mom. Like I told Little Lind earlier, all my memories came back during the night. It has left me a little more… emotive than usual, but I’m… I’m good, really. Better than I’ve ever been, in fact.”

It felt strange, saying it out loud, but it was true nonetheless, and his tone conveyed it quite easily to the two MAJORS. Admitting it openly made him feel even better. He was still nervous at the idea of going to the restaurant, but at least he was able to cope with it. Just a day ago, it wouldn't have been the case. But it had a crazy effect on his family. His Mom pulled over as soon as she could and hid her face in her hands, while Lindsey let out a surprised yelp before leaning against him to engulf him once more in her arms, kissing his hair, only releasing him when they heard Ofelia’s crying.

“Mom, what’s the matter?” asked the confused daughter of the family, while Alejandro’s voice was still muffled by her large torso against his face.

“It’s nothing sweetie, it’s just… I’m so happy to hear it… I’m sorry baby, but… would you let me take you a little?”

“Yeah, sure Mom” replied a worrying Alejandro.

Lindsey quickly got him out of his special chair and handed him over to their mother. Ofelia cradled him in her arms and shoved between her neck and her right shoulder. She said nothing for a while, crying softly and massaging his body, while the Minor felt too confused to say anything.  Finally, after almost two minutes of this, his mother took him away from her and planted a kiss on his face, covering it in red lipstick.

“Eww, Mom! What was that for?”

“Can’t I be happy for my little miracle?” simply asked Ofelia.

----------------------------------

Alejandro sighed heavily. His seat was “specially crafted with Minor’s needs in mind” had had affirmed the waiter, a blue eyed, blond haired small guy (for a MAJOR), probably only around 2m68 (8,8f) with a rather jovial and plump figure, named Greg. If it was the case, it was no wonder that his peoples were so few around the world. Some stupid MAJOR had probably designed specially crafted tools or furniture for Minors which had ended killing their users.

Sure, the chair was a work of art, carved from one huge oak tree, with delicate figures of mariners, naiads, krakens and other mermaids exquisitely painted. It was sturdy, despite its evident age, and at any other given time, Alejandro would have loved taking his time to examine it in details. But right now, he really didn’t feel safe enough to do so. The chair had nothing to truly hold him in place. At his level, it was a vast plate were food and drink could be deposited, but with void just behind it. If he tripped while getting up to catch his food or his drink, he could end falling all the way down to the ground and he really didn’t like the idea.

Still, he couldn’t really complain. The Wife’s Mariner was a wonderful piece of Old Creek’s history, the ancient tavern used by the sailors, when the town’s harbor was actually an active fishing location and not simply a touristic attraction. All the furniture, tables, drawers, even forks and knives, had been crafted by the spouses of the brave sailors, while their husbands went to the sea. This quality demonstrated the talent that MAJOR could have when they actually took time and efforts to do something.

Alejandro even had to admit that the small furniture he had to use was of an exquisite quality. Reading the menu, his eyes kept wandering toward the other customers. There was an old couple, probably in their 130’s or more, a whole family, clearly of Irish descent, two adult MAJORS and a kid, barely five years old. Counting the restaurant’s employees, there were at least 9 giants he had never seen before staring at him. Oh, sure, except for the small kid, who couldn’t look away and had even screamed rather loudly that he wanted to play with the “toy-sized guy” when he had entered, the others made efforts to not actively look like they were drooling because of his presence.

“The house would like to inform you that you all have the right for free cocktails as an aperitif if you want to” said Greg with a little too much enthusiasm to not be interested.

“Thank you” replied Jules, smiling at the waiter. “I think we’ll all make a choice in a few minutes thank you. But please, remember that my son and my daughter can’t drink alcohol” he added, waving his hand toward Alejandro.

“What! Why” almost yelled the Minor.

“You’re only eighteen” said Jules, as if it explained everything.

“So is Alaric!”

“MAJORS can drink alcohol after 16, minors need to wait until 21” said his twin, rather smugly.

Alejandro made sure that Al’s smile disappeared extremely quickly by glaring extremely angrily at him. It was the kind of things he had to face outside his house. He had read a lot about it, but actually experiencing it was infuriating. He was able to handle alcohol as well, if not better than Alaric, but clearly, society assumed that he was some sort of weak and fragile creature. For a moment, the Minor contemplated the idea of removing his prosthesis to throw it at his twin’s face but it was too bothersome to do so.

“I didn’t want to upset you bro!” almost yelled the tall tan-skinned MAJOR.

“Yeah, I’m sure… you just wanted to show how cool you are!” grunted the Minor, his anger mounting a little more.

“You don’t need no alcohol to be cool man” said Derek, coming to the rescue. “I mean, who needs it to feel great is rather stupid.”

“Hey! I thought you were on my side Derek!” said Alaric, feigning indignation, thankful for the potential diversion it offered his older brother.

“I’m not helping you bullying your brother, that’s all!” smirked the black teenager.

“I can assure you, we have a vast variety of aperitifs without alcohol sir!” quickly explained Greg, obviously sorry for the tension he had unwittingly created.

“Yeah, fine, whatever…” growled Alejandro.

He looked at Shannon, her face painfully depicting her concern, but it only made him angrier. He knew it was stupid, but he hated being seen so… so inferior! Why must I be treated like that because of my birth? Why can’t I be their equal at least in that respect? On what basis do Alaric get to drink like an adult and not me, it doesn’t make sense! They can dilute alcohol with water or fruit juices, or whatever the fuck they want! I don’t need to drink pure beer or wine made for them huge assholes! They must have some Minor’s sized dishes after all, why not some beverages!?

“Alejandro” chastised his Mom. “You know that your brother didn’t meant harm. You don’t get to act all grumpy and aggressive like that. I know you must be nervous, but please, behave yourself, you know you’re better than that!”

Alejandro turned his face away, looking at no one. He was still fuming, but he did his best to keep his anger in check. He took slow and deliberate breath and then perused over the menu. As he expected, it was mostly fish in the dishes and most of the cocktails were based on Scottish whisky or bourbon with apple juices, but they also had more exotics alcohols, like caipirinha, mojito, and even some shooters, like the Jaeger-bomb… It only exacerbated his frustration to read so often in the whole menu that it was “MAJOR-sized only” or “only has an extra for a MAJOR’s menu”. It was the sort of casual insult that the supposedly superior breed Humans inflicted on their “lesser” brethren without even noticing how patronizing it was.

“But he has reasons to be angry Auntie” said Shannon, her voice vibrating from deep inside her throat, as if she was truly moved, forcing Alejandro’s attention on her. “There are technically no scientific reasons to allow MAJORS to drink alcohol before Minors, right? I mean, you’re the geneticists here, surely, if it was a biological fact, you would know it and enforce it everywhere right?”

“You’re right Shannon” replied Ofelia carefully. “On a scientific level, there is no reason to prevent a Minor from drinking at the same age as a MAJOR. But socially speaking… it’s… how could I put it…”

“It’s seen as corrupting a child?” offered Andrew Matthewson. “Using one’s statute as a MAJOR to, let’s say, take advantage of a Minor is really badly seen in almost all circles of society, Alejandro, and for most peoples, an underage Minor drinking is associated with either a poorly educated family or some shady MAJOR he or she is bonded with. Of course, it only applies publicly but…”

Mister Matthewson’s voice trailed off. Clearly, he wasn’t too fond off this perception on a personal level but hadn’t much of a problem following it. After all, neither himself nor his family was directly impacted. Alejandro knew it was unkind of him to suspect that sort of thought from someone who was clearly friendly with his dad, but he couldn’t help it. So, he kept his mouth shut, he didn’t want to waste a supposedly pleasant social interaction because of a bad temper. Instead, he tried to get back to his feelings from this morning. Silence fall over their table, until Derek cleared his throat and closed his menu.

“Okay, I’m ready. You guys?”

A round of nod followed suit and all the MAJORS closed their menus. Alejandro barely contained another grunt. Obviously, they can listen to an argument and make a choice just like that! While he had been getting angry, they all had barely glanced at the dished proposed by the Wife’s Mariner’s chef and yet memorised them. Focusing anew on the menu, he settled on a Sardinade du Marin, roasted sardine with tomatoes, salad and corn, and a separate bowl of vinaigrette and a grape juice. At least, it didn’t require him to share the meal of one of the others. He really wasn’t in the mood. While Greg took all their commands, Alaric leaned toward his brother, his face clearly concerned.

“I didn’t want to upset you bro… It’s just… a MAJOR reaction, I’m sorry”.

For a moment, Alejandro considered the idea of remaining silent. Whatever his intentions may have been, his twin had deeply offended him. Of course, he knew that Alaric was different when in public compared to how he treated him at home; he had to, in a sense, because of how MAJORS were supposed to behave. Usually, the twins could almost end each other’s sentences, without any pretense of a bond or anything, and they perfectly understood their respective attempts at jokes and humors. But right now, the Minor wasn’t really able to do so, probably because of the many events he had lived earlier this day, and the new situation he found himself in. Therefore he had to be the bigger man, figuratively speaking.

“Don’t worry. I accept your apology… and your dessert” grinned the older of the Ferrand’s children.

“Ah! As if you would have the place to eat it after your main dish. I know you, you eat like a baby!” laughed the MAJOR.

“What can I say?” replied Alejandro, loud enough to be heard by everyone at the table. “I don’t try to become fatter than a blue whale every time I eat. You, on the other hand…”

“Oh, you wanna play at that, uh? Remember that time I found you gorging on Christmas chocolates under the table so we wouldn’t see you?”

“I was seven!” roared Alejandro in mock outrage.

“Yeah, so was I. But I wasn’t the one ending in the hospital because I had a sugar rush!”

“Nope… you ended in the hospital because you wanted desperately to prove that you could drink bleach, if my memory is right. I think that you were adamant that you could drink absolutely everything.”

“I was five!”

“Yeah, but you MAJORS mature at a faster rate, at a cognitive level at least, or isn't it what you always blurted about, back then ? So, basically, you had the mind of a ten year old Minor, if not older. Pretty stupid of you if you ask me, but at least you gulped down the whole bottle, that was impressive!” laughed Alejandro.

“I… that was… Ah…” stammered Alaric before raising his arms in defeat.

The entire table laughed but Alejandro noticed that not everyone truly found it funny. Mrs. Matthewson seemed to force her laugh a little and his Mom was actually glaring at his now fidgeting twin. Apparently, he had never told him that it hadn’t been an accident. The diminutive teenager felt bad for a second, but it passed rather quickly. He can handle it, it’s not as if he had been in any real danger, he barely spent two days in the hospital. The MAJORS were still laughing when their first serving of entry dishes were brought. Those giants ate so much that apparently, there was two serving for all their dishes here! It was crazy!

Alejandro shuddered at the size of those portions. The Wife’s Mariner wasn’t one of those fancy restaurants were wealthy MAJORS went to eat Minor-sized portions in plates ten times too big for it, all the while gushing about the “quality of the cuisine”, the “delicious fragrance of the ingredients” and shits, something the Minor found absolutely stupid. What was the point of paying atrociously high dishes to barely have a morsel? And yet, apparently, it was extremely successful, he had read a lot of information about it on the internet.

“I’m sorry to put the joy at risk” suddenly told Shannon, her voice conveying a firm determination, “but I think that Alejandro was right to question the law right now.”

“What do you mean?” asked Jules Ferrand, clearly interested by the reasoning the colossal woman would offer to back her claims.

“Well, this one is clearly discriminatory without any good reason. It isn’t like say, a driving license. Minors don’t have the motor and mental skills to pass it at ten, so it’s logical that, for their protection and our own, they aren’t allowed to drive at that age. But alcohol can be diluted, or factories could brew special alcoholic beverages for Minors only. There is no good reason to force them to wait five more years to drink.”

“I hear you” replied Jules, “but it is a social norm, one that can’t simply be ignored. When you are the parent of a Minor, you have to take laws and norms into account in her education, even us, who have been rather iconoclast with Alejandro’s” he added, smiling at his son.

“Yes, but social norms can be changed, if people are convinced that they must change!” said the behemoth with a lot of enthusiasm. “All it would take would be a nation-wide enlightenment regarding what rights are purely discriminatory and deny Minors basic citizenship’s rights, and which ones are based on hard evidence and reason! After all, I think it’s important that minor things matter too. Our society must take them more into account if we want them to become more numerous and more prosperous, don’t you agree?”

“Yeah, that’s sounds great” replied Derek, clearly dubitative. “But I don’t see how a whole nation could be enlightened sister!”

"Well, I do” said Shannon quite haughtily. “I’ve begun preparations to launch a massive campaign to do so if you want to know it. Hopefully, at New Year eve, I’ll have the first material and be able to go full-speed ahead, all thanks to Alejandro!”

The Minor felt his skin turning bright red when eight pairs of eyes turned on him. Shannon’s bright smile wasn’t helping in the slightest…

“She’s… exaggerating things, really” he mumbled.