- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Oh hey, I got this one done way faster than the previous one, I deserve a prize right? Now, please enjoy the swearing chapter.

 

---

I couldn't believe it, it just made no sense to me. Even if I already knew it to be true, somewhere inside, a part of me held strongly onto the thought of it all being just some stupid mistake. But alas, here I was, at 5 feet 2 inches and a fucking half.

That's a whole inch and a half lost if we were to compare it to my previously recorded height. Barely enough for most people to notice, but in the current situation, it was more than enough to raise alarm. And alarm it raised.

After the Doctor measured me I went into a bit of a panic, I started to hyperventilate and had to take a seat to be able to relax. They called my aunt in, to inform her of the situation and what not while I calmed myself and digested the information. But how the hell do they expect me to do that?

I was essentially just told that my whole life and future was going to go down the shitter, and it wasn't even done with tastefully! That stupid Doctor, couldn't she at least soften up the punch? I've had people slap me more softly than the way that cunt broke the news! And was she trying to be fucking coy with me? 'And a half,' put it up your ass you absolute-

'Hey, are you feeling well?' A voice, once again, broke me out of my rant. I got my face out of my arms and turned to look at the person sitting beside me, which to a small degree of surprise, it was none other than my cousin, Ash.

For some reason, I've found myself taking in peoples appearances more often than before, perhaps subconsciously appreciating it before it all changes? and Ash, as per usual, completely lacked a genuine sense of style. She was a little over the 5 feet mark, a bit chubby and you'd be lucky to find her wearing anything other than a black T-shirt or hoodie and a pair of blue jeans, with her unkempt black hair tied into a ponytail she was the kind of person whose appearance told you everything you needed to know about them, that being 'I spend all day listening to metal, playing video games and watching Japanese cartoons.' Ash and I didn't really get along badly, but despite being cousins we didn't really hang out or talked, period. She was usually extremely introverted, which essentially meant that she was never the one to start a conversation, usually preferring to hang out with people younger than her, like Vivian. Which I guess is why her starting conversation with me was so surprising.

After I kept staring at her for a few couples of seconds she continued, a bit more nervously now.

'I- Er, well, I don't think you should worry about it too much. There are many reasons anyone could lose a couple of inches, maybe you just haven't been eating enough?' After she said this, it took me a few seconds to process it. 'And who knows, maybe you weren't actually 5'4'' to begin with and they just mismeasured you. Just, don't worry yourself too much about it yet, Mary.'

Yeah, yeah that must be it! There's still a chance that they may be mistaken, there's no reason for me to give up hope yet! If you think about it, I didn't even notice anything weird until Tanya sent me that stupid video, that probably put the idea in my head and got me all paranoid.

I couldn't help it as I put my arms around Ash without saying a word, the poor girl was silently struggling not understanding what to do in such a situation and instead opting for letting me hug her while her arms just kind of hovered over my body. 'A-Anyways... I think mom is about done talking to the doctor, we should probably, like, go there...'

---


We pretty much wrapped up our appointment right then and there, the Doctor had told Aunt Beth that the missing inch and a half was not enough to reach a clear diagnosis, thus we were appointed to come back in five days and check whether or not I am dwindling in size and if anyone else in the family starts showing symptoms.

Aunt Beth then treated us all for a pizza, although it was easy to tell it was mostly meant for me, and we went on our merry way back home. I was incredibly exhausted emotionally, so when we got home I immediately excused myself, took a few slices of the remaining pizza and went to my room. My aunt is kind of a neat freak, and she'd usually rather kill us than letting us take our food to our rooms without her consent, but considering the state I was she didn't say a word.

As I reached my room and began thinking about what to do to relax, I realized that I hadn't gone online since I saw that dumb video. So, the first thing I do is sitting down on my bed and open up my laptop...

Christ, you are gone for two days and it's like the entire world went too shit, which thinking about, it kind of did. Everything is choke full of notifications, it seems that most are about people talking about the virus, but I have honestly had enough for one day so I promptly ignore them and instead go check on my private chats.

As I guessed, Tanya and Candy have gotten busy in the short while I was gone. There are easily over 300 messages of them seemingly just going back and forth for two days, no way in hell I'm reading all that. Let's just skim through the most recent ones...

> Tanya: you sure?

> Candy: Ya

> T: well i guess that party is off then..

> C: Just our stinking luck

> C: Btw, still no news on Mary? did you at least tell her about the doctor?

> T: nope, sent her a buncha messages but havent seen her at all

> C: Shes got me worried, at least she must know about the virus thing right? If she doesnt login today ill go to her house to check on her tomorrow

> T: was thinking the same thing, well should also tell her about the party

> C: Why do i figure you are more worried about the party >.>

> T: a girls got her needs

> C: Tell me about it

> C: Oh hey, I think shes finally online

> T: just saw it, imma nag her

> T: yo you slut pay us attention!

> C: Hey, Pipsqueak!

> T: listen you third wheel!

> C: Tweedledumb!!!!!!

> T: lol weak

> C: Shut it

Aaaand, it seems that in the time it took me to read that far they started an insult hurling competition to get my attention, there's already like 20 of these and they are getting lamer by the word, I better hop in quick.

> Maryam: I'm here Jesus Christ calm your tits

> T: I bet you put sugar on your pizza!

> T: oh sorry

> C: Smooth

> M: ...

> T: i said sorry!

> M: Anyways what's up?

> C: Thats what wed like to know! you've been gone for two days, and with things as they are no less

> M: Sorry about that I was busy dealing with the doctor's appointment. U wouldn't believe how long that line was.

> M: Currently eating some well deserved pizza.

> T: wait so you are actually eating pizza with sugar

> M: You wanna take it to the parking lot?

> C: Two days without seeing you two talking maybe wasnt so bad after all.

> M: Whatever haven't you guys gotten checked yet?

> C: God dammit Tanya.

> T: hey, its her fault for ignoring us!

> M: ?

> C: Yeah, we already got checked. Tanyas father knows a doctor that did hers and my familys check ups in no time flat. No lines or anything

> M: Ex fucking cuse me

> T: i tried to contact you but you vanished from the face of the earth!!!!!!

> M: I was away from my fucking computer bloody hell!

> C: Wtvr bottom line, everyone on my and Tanyas side was tested negative, so we are in the clear

> C: What about your family?

> M: Oh we haven't gotten results yet.

> C: Yet? Wasnt it a simple check up? Shouldnt they just tell you right away if theres something wrong?

> M: Well yeah but

> T: oh god

> T: out with it, you know we wont tell

> M: ...

> M: Well I may or may have not lost about an inch and a half.

> C: Oh shit

> T: are you ok mary?

> M: Yeah don't worry about it yet. There's still a chance that there was it was a fluke and for this to be a false alarm. We are supposed to go back in five days to see if anything has changed.

> T: five days? if you want i can refer you to my doc and you could probably get a thorough check up by tomorrow.

I had to swallow a knot in my throat.

> M: Ah.

> M: Don't worry about it. I trust this doctor, I'm sure she's more than capable.

> T: well, if you are sure about it.

> C: Besides, 1 and a half isnt much diference.

> T: easy to say when youre closing in on the 6 feet mark

> M: Ditto.

> C: Well dont worry about it, I know something that will cheer you right up.

> C: Remember the party we were planning on going this saturday?

> M: Oh yeah with everything that happened I forgot. At Big Ted's?

> T: more like little teddy lol

> M: No freaking way.

> C: Ya, not quite Little yet, but our Teddy's got a positive.

> C: That cheered you up?

> M: A bit yeah.

> T: good, now the bad news.

> T: the party is kaput. no bueno. dead and gone.

> M: Aaand I feel bad again.

> T: but now for a better reason.

> M: I need a drink.

> T: you and me both sister ;_;

> C: Aaaaanyways, we can still probably get together this week to get those ugly thoughts out of your sexy like head

> T: great. tomorrow at marys place.

> M: Don't I get a say in this?

> T: no.

> T: but you would have agreed anyways so shuush

> M: >:P

> T: and you know what? you made me sad.

> T: so sad in fact that im gonna give you a gift that will make us both happy.

> T: im gonna convince big ted to still go through with his party

> C: Wait, how?

> T: a girl got her ways.

> T: although itd probably be fairly easy. just get into his head that this may be one of his last gos at the good life before little teddy shrinks small enough to drown in one of his big johnnys.

> C: Ew

> M: Stop.

> T: ahahahha

> T: anyways, holy crap for how long have we been talking. i swear the sun was still up when we started.

> T: i gtg so ill see you tomorrow girls.

> C: ...And thats one down

> M: Wasn't it kind of hot?

> C: The what?

> M: U know the Little Teddy in the big Johnny thing.

> C: I mean

> C: I guess I can see how can someone be into that

> C: Are you into that?

> M: What no. that's why I said kind of.

> C: Okeydokey

> C: Speaking of hot, about that doctor...

Oh boy, here we go again. And, ah crap, my pizza got cold.

Chapter End Notes:

I need to get better at swearing and throwing insults.