- Text Size +

With a throbbing headache Justine's blue eyes struggled to open as she groaned in reaction to the suns glaring rays baring down upon her face. Last night was rough as she dealt with throes of sorrow while trying to sleep. Hearing a growling moan from her stomach Justine's mind felt hazy as she turned over looking at the nearby modest wooden home. A pang of guilt washed over Justine thinking about what she did before going to sleep as she thought, (Sarah would have never wanted me to kill people like I did yesterday. It's hard to believe I actually ate Aria last night and now she is gone forever, just like Sarah. Aria's parent's weren't bad folks and yet I killed their daughter in anger. Maybe people are right, maybe I really am cursed to be a monster.)

 

Standing up stretching her arms over her head Justine saw the cave in the distance that her companions inhabited for the night. After releasing a powerful yarn she blushed in embarrassment realizing how close to the poor man's home she had slept forcing him to hear her loud snoring throughout the night. Not wishing to be terrorizing disturbance to him any longer she headed toward the hideout walking though a path she created last night. On the way she thought about March 18th 1673 the first night she suddenly grew and how many people she had killed since with remorse coloring her still hazy mind.

 

Meanwhile Christina grabbing a canteen preceded to help give Kevin his morning drink. Upon trying to prop his head up however he twitched while giving her a long burning glare. Begrudgingly he came to accept the offer Christina presented as he gulped the cool fluids down. Not far from the entrance of the cave facing out toward the town he enjoyed the expansive view. Though the sound of his sister's booming foot steps along with the mangled trees marking where she had tread spoiled some of the tranquility of the moment. Still he was glad to see Justine as her thighs along with her hips came into view while also in awe of the fact the other half of her body towered out of sight.

 

Standing up after having been awoken by the commotion Mark felt conflicted at he stared at Justine's hips wondering if he should confront her today about those she killed. He also couldn't feel supportive of her declaring herself a queen, though he admitted to himself she naturally commanded attention where ever she went just like a powerful queen would. He just hoped Justine wouldn't become abusive toward others and that a cure could be discovered soon.

 

While Christina gulped trembling with fear as she heard Justine's flat belly only in view up to her navel release a sizzling moan. Before long her towering master bent down unto her knees peering into the cave at eye level. Though unintentional Justine adjusting her head trying to peek in exhaled her breath into the cave, causing a hot wet rank gust to wash over Christina along with Kevin and Mark. After recovering partly covered in Justine's moisture from her breath Christina's attention fixated upon the massive scanning ocean blue orbs that probed them all with concern.

 

Unaware of the effect her powerful frankly less than pleasant breath had, Justine wondered why they all were coughing when she bent down to look at them. Leaning in on her knees while her lips were in full view for those inside the wide opening of the cave Justine flashing a small smile said quietly, “Good morning, I just wanted to make sure you are all fine and that Kevin is okay.”

 

Looking into the depths of his sister's giant blue eyes Kevin knew she was suffering. For the past year she had been the stronger sibling both physically and emotionally, but right now he knew Sarah meant more to her than just about anything else. It was painted across every inch of her massive face and her pain dripped into each word she had spoken. Her attempt to hide this borrowing suffering behind a thin veil of a fleeting weak smile didn't fool him. Calling out to his sister Kevin assured her, “We are all fine! I know you worry, but it's safe here and the night sky was beautiful last night.”

 

Straining to hear her brother's reply Justine was glad no one came to hurt them during the night. Though her heart still chronically ached as it kept memory of Sarah's last breaths in tow. Keeping the burden of the loss inside hurt, but she tried to be more cheerful as she said concerned, “I worry because I love you Kevin and I just can't stand the thought of anyone hurting you again.”

 

Those words hurt Kevin as he thought about what he saw Justine do yesterday. Though Kevin would prefer to speak to Justine in private about everything that happened he thought that wasn't realistic. As no matter where they went someone would see her and overhear what she said. Even as part of him desired to forget that he witnessed her kill people, Kevin just couldn't deny his virtues any longer as he cried, “I know you love me, but Justine I love you too! That's why it was painful for me to watch you crush those men yesterday and I know your not a monster, but please....... dear sister promise me you won't kill anyone else.”

 

With a skyrocketing heart rate Justine's chest contracted upon seeing Kevin cry. Her worst nightmare, that Kevin would disown her as a monster seemed closer to manifesting in his outburst as Justine thought of the horror's she had committed to those that perished under her feet along with those that had came out of her bowel movement's. This encroaching fear of rejection caused her to tremble as she wept with remorse taking deeper breaths trying maintain some composure. Anxiety then consumed her mind while she struggled against the rising swelling waves of the tragic memories depicting her crimes as her conscience flooded in by storm.

 

Crushing aching guilt poured into Justine's heart while watering her eyes and tightening her throat as she apologized, “I-I......just didn't want people hurting you and after what they did to Sarah I was just so angry. If......you...had d-died yesterday, I don't even know what I would have done. It's just too horrifying for me to think about. But I really am sorry Kevin.......... killing them was a terrible thing to do as I know they were scared of me for becoming a giant. I just hope you can forgive me Kevin and I promise you that I won't kill any more people.”

 

Mark and Christina looked at Justine in shock as Kevin's head still propped up watched his all encompassing titanic sister break down crying. He felt absolutely terrible for getting after Justine believing it was mostly his fault she killed anyone in the first place. Not even to mention the fact she saved his life and has been his patient loving supportive caretaker for the past year. Peering into her massive blue marbles he felt awful for causing her to suffer.

 

Scrambling to reply Kevin stirring with guilt reassured his sister, “I forgive you sister as I was angry too. Sarah was so kind, loyal and compassionate to everyone that's it's hard to believe she's gone, but I know we can get though this together. Because dear sister, without you I would have died more than once if it wasn't for you taking care of me when I was ill after our mother passed and yesterday when those wicked people tried to kill us.”

 

Wiping tears from her face Justine gently smiled taking her time to calm down before she replied, “I know we will get though this as we always have and from now on I will make sure you are safe no matter what brother.”

 

Though the temptation to ask about Justine declaring herself a queen arose within Kevin's mind, he chose to keep the on going conversation more warmhearted and mundane hoping to lift both their spirits. After a while Mark squeezing though an opening in the conversation interjected, “Justine can you help me down so I can go get more supplies?”

 

Offering her open palm adjacent to the cave entrance Justine having become more conformable chirped, “Sure thing, just step here!”

 

Christina after watching Mark step into Justine's clutches wondered if Kevin would ever forgive her. As she watched the colossal blonde leave while talking to Mark she sitting next to Kevin upon the hard rocky cave floor asked, “Kevin, is there anything else you need?”

 

Upon hearing those words Kevin's lips quivered and eyebrows flexed with a glare in his eyes burning deep within the depth's of his soul. To claim he held resentment toward Christina simply didn't do his feelings about her justice as he cold in tone replied, “No”

 

After what happened with the mob Christina has struggled like a dentist trying to pull teeth to get much more out of Kevin than a one word response. She intensely feared what would happen to her if she couldn't get Kevin back on her good side, because if she was on his bad side Justine's bad side would naturally follow. Last night's conversation with Justine brought much more clarity to the dire consequences of that outcome and Christina wasn't about to gamble her life upon her promise to Kevin that she wouldn't kill people anymore. At this point all she knew was something needed to change because her very existence seemed to wholly depend on it.

 

Trembling between the cool draft flowing into the cave and her own fear Christina walked carefully over to the cave entrance. The great height made her nervous as she looked down the sharp steep cliff side with a pile of rough unforgiving rocks at the bottom waiting for a soul unfortunate enough to fall onto them. Backing up from the edge knowing escape was impossible she sat down near Kevin's improvised bed and spoke with anxiety dripping into her tone, “Please Kevin, talk to me so I can take better care of you.”

 

“It's your fault Sarah is dead Christina!” Kevin exploded before he snapped, “So just leave me alone!”

 

Left unable to speak Christina darted away and started crying after dropping to her knees deeper within the cave as she came to accept her role in Sarah's tragic demise. Christina had repeatably told herself it was Justine's fault or that it was the man's fault for stabbing her and even Priest Wesley's fault for creating the mob. However that luxury of transferring the burden from her heart to someone else for Sarah's death no longer held up as Christina chilled from the damp atmosphere balled up sobbing in a dark corner while taking in erratic deep breaths.

 

@@@-@@@-@@@-@@@-@@@-@@@

 

Meanwhile some distance from the cave hideout, Mark being held in front of Justine's massive face at eye level was temporary enchanted by her massive ocean blue rings contained within her white wet orbs. Though upon seeing inside Justine's mouth again as she causally licked her chops, Mark's heart sank as his eye's confirmed the dagger's existence wedged between her forward teeth. Fear tingled his spine followed by anger as he felt Justine broke her word when she claimed she wouldn't eat people after their last conversation about the subject.

 

Despite being held gently between her soft massive fingers a boiling rage fired up within Mark as he yelled, “Why do you keep eating people Justine! I thought you wouldn't ever do that again and yet I see a knife stuck between your teeth that wasn't there last night, so don't even think about hiding the truth from me!”

 

Finding herself unable to take another step forward Justine's guilt returned as she sat down. Before this she hoped to gloss over her past deeds as her conversation with Kevin had cheered her up. Hearing Mark yell at her in an outburst of anger however brought her conscience back into the captains chair of her mind. Guilt caused her to place her free hand upon the surface of her flat grumbling belly as she thought of Aria and others she had consumed alive.

 

Justine didn't want to reveal the whole truth as she thought about only telling Mark about swallowing Priest Wesley and regurgitating him back up, but the burden of keeping so many dark deeds under lock and key crushed her until abruptly forcing her to confess, “Mark........ I-I don't know why. The kind of thing's I have done to people surely can't be forgiven. I kept thinking everything I did was going to bring justice, but I have just been a evil monster gobbling people up for revenge while trying to avoid chewing the gross animals for food and I hate myself for it all Mark. After eating Aria last night, Lewis's mother yesterday, Francis, James, my own father and over a dozen others...... I don't even know who I am anymore. I don't deserve a friend like you or my brother's love! But please Mark don't abandon me...... because I-I need you and promise I'll never kill anyone ever again.”

 

Hearing this all while having being brought down just below her chest firmly pressed against the warm wall of flesh around her abdomen unsettled Mark as he tried to process it all. Justine's upper body then hunched over him as she continued crying while her voice apologizing over and over boomed. Mark starting to feel some pain struggled against Justine's sudden tighter grip as he heard her anxious lighting fast heart beat thunder though the wall of flesh before him while her stomach growled from below. She was nearly hysterical in mumbling, “I won't kill people ever again Mark.......I promise to quit being a monster. I won't kill people any more...........so please don't hate me forever.”

 

To Mark's relief it seemed Justine realized she was gripping his body too tightly and loosened her fingers to be more gentle in holding him while quietly awaiting a reply with massive soaking wet blue orbs that peered down at him. Still even with Justine coming clean and expressing deep remorse his anger toward what she had done boiled within him as it stirred his conscience. After all those were real living breathing human beings that she treated as nothing more than food. They each felt anguish and real prolonged suffering before perishing in a transformation to become part of her fecal matter expelled by her next bowel movement. Despite knowing all this Mark couldn't bring himself to absolutely despise her in his heart even though Justine committing the sin of cannibalism again was horrifying to him.

 

“Justine” Mark being held within her grip began before he filled with both anger and disappointment said, “Trust is important and right now I feel betrayed. You lied, kept the truth from me and broke your word by eating other people. Don't you ever think about their family's before doing something so horrifying. It just makes me sick and I thought forgiving you was the right thing to do, but I just don't know anymore.”

 

Struggling to pull herself together Justine felt overwhelmed by remorse, fear and desperation as she trembled with anxiety knowing her relationship with Mark was on the line. Trying again to apologize Justine replied, “I'm sorry....... for telling you lies Mark. I am sorry for breaking my word, our trust and for eating people. It's just....... because I do think about how their families must feel, that it hurts to even speak of it. But no matter what it takes I will change, be better than I have been and will do what I can to atone for each person I killed! So please......... after what Christina did and losing my dear friend Sarah....... I don't think I can bare you forsaking me Mark!”

 

Looking up at Justine's wet face tensing up with crawling anxiety, feeling her warm wall of flesh against his skin while now being held between her soft mountainous breast Mark felt his anger melting. Mostly because he felt she finally opened up instead of reserving herself like the last time he confronted her about eating people. Though in the back of his mind he couldn't help wondering what Justine might do if he actually did abandon her emotionally as she fully controlled the physical end of the relationship with her size. Shuddering at the thought of what she might do if she did backslide Mark cleared his throat and firmly said, “I won't forsake you Justine, but understand me when I say never eat people ever again. It's a wicked sin from the devil and if you ever eat anyone else again then I must disown you....... to remain loyal in heart to God and righteousness.”

 

Rattled and still sniffling as her face sparkled in the sun light from being soaked in tears Justine quietly replied, “I understand and promise I won't kill or eat any more people. So....p-please don't disown me Mark.”

 

After this whole ordeal Justine seemed honest in her desire to change in Mark's mind as he craned his neck up looking at her giant teary eyed face. Becoming more relaxed and thinking of how to reinforce his point Mark said, “Good and I do forgive you Justine, just don't forget how horrible losing Sarah made you feel whenever you think of hurting people okay.”

 

“Okay......I won't forget that or your forgiveness Mark.” Justine mumbled while nervously twisting her golden blonde bangs with her finger as she then stressed, “Just please...... don't tell my brother that I have eaten people. Because I-I can't bare the thought of him.......... disowning me as a monster.”

 

As the conversation went on a while longer Mark after agreeing to keep Kevin in the dark explained that he didn't want Justine to abuse her control over others as self declared queen and again told her not to kill or eat people. Convinced she learned her lesson Mark still surrounded by her mountainous breast tried to avoid pondering too deeply about his location as he asked, “Can you please let me down now Justine, so I can get more supplies?”

 

Not long after asking this question he felt her grip around his body tighten. Justine's face glanced away from Mark momentarily while nibbling upon her lips before she spoke unnerved with worry inflicting her tone, “People might try hurting you if I stay behind and I don't want to lose anyone else. So please let me come with you.”

 

“Really Justine you can let me go alone and I will be fine.” Mark replied as he then said, “After I go into town and get some things you can pick me up at home later okay.”

 

That answer didn't seem to satisfy his immense blonde friend as she became assertive in tone with concern as she fretted, “I won't let you go Mark until you promise that you will come back.......... T-that you won't abandon me.”

 

Being held between the powerful warm giant fingers of Justine's massive hand Mark felt guilty for making her so distressed and anxious about their friendship. He knew despite her towering size and unmatched physical power Justine was emotionally vulnerable. Yet he kept holding back on reassuring her that he wasn't going to leave. Now though it seemed looking at her puffy red eyes Justine was beginning to tear up again the longer she awaited a reply.

 

Not wishing to see her upset again feeling her grip tighten upon his body Mark tried to comfort her as he said, “It's okay Justine, I promise to come back. I won't abandon you....... just please behave while I'm gone okay.”

 

“Really Mark, don't treat me like a child.” Justine quipped adverting her eyes before she went on to speak, “But I understand, people aren't food and I will be better about trying not to hurt them. So you better come back safely Mark or I will come looking for you.”

 

After Mark was gently placed on the grasslands by Justine he called up to reply, “Don't worry, I can handle myself and will be back shortly waiting for you at my house.”

 

Seeing Justine's wide smile as she waved him good bye before walking back toward the cave made Mark standing on grass itching his legs feel a stirring twisting knot in his stomach. He believed she wasn't a monster, but still those were real live human beings she killed, that she kept killing more of as time went on and while walking toward the town's square he couldn't quite push the horror of it all out of his mind. On the way down the dirt covered path's he saw a number of people walking by with large sacks flung over their backs. Mark knew he didn't need to ask why as word had clearly spread of what happened to the mob. The temptation to join those deserting town then knocked on the back door of his mind, but melted away upon thinking about how hurt Justine would be by his absence and Mark didn't even want to contemplate what her tearing up the town looking for him would be like if he actually tried to abandon her.

 

Some time later coming out of deep entranced thought Mark stumbled upon the outskirts of the rustic old pub near the inn with it's supporting porous wooden planks rotting while it's front door dangled open in the gentle winds coming in from open windows blowing throughout the structure. He came here first hoping to find his father sitting near counter as he normally did for a drink. Instead a young man crowned in lengthy blond hair no older than 30 wearing a fine red button down vest over a brown shirt with white puffy shorts sat in the expected seat laughing after taking a large gulp of his drink.

 

Strolling his way toward the prim and proper gentleman Mark challenged him, “Hey stranger! Who are you and where are you from?”

 

While turning to the side of his seat the blond man firm in tone replied, “I am Ellis from London! That has been to many places, learned their tongues and now is sitting here waiting for the appointed time to duel this town's blacksmith, not that I owe such a rude lad an introduction. Though living in this backwater town, it's no wonder why you lack proper manners.”

 

Mark's friend Timothy sitting near by turned toward the conversation and chimed in, “Mark, your father is going to get his pistol to duel this so called gentleman that came in here causing trouble late last night and again earlier this morning.”

 

“I couldn't care less if the Ellis claimed to be the king of England, he needs to leave my father alone.” Mark objected as he glared at Ellis.

 

“Oh really” Ellis huffed before he replied, “What does a lad like you even know of a man's honor....... absolutely nothing clearly from what little respect you have for our duel.”

 

In short order the entire conversation turned into a bickering match as Mark tried to convince Ellis to just leave while Ellis kept insisting he was going to duel no matter what. Meanwhile Timothy kept to himself and drank hoping for a peaceful outcome. Then a tall well built man over 6 feet tall with a sword on his back and pistol strapped to his hip came into the pub. He wore a simple white shirt that left his thick hairy arms mostly exposed and black pants with straps that went over his shoulders. His long beard had a touch of gray along with a large mole just below his chin upon his neck. It was Mark's father Nathan and he stood proudly more than ready to kick Ellis' pompous ass.

 

Both duelist Ellis and Nathan then proceeded to come out into the street without trading more than a few choice words to each other. Mark followed them looking at the dozen or so spectator's as they awaited the impending fight. Before his father got into position however Mark came up to him and asked, “Father, why are you dueling this man?”

 

“Mark, there comes a point in a good honest man's life where he must defend his honor and protect those around him.” Mark's father Nathan replied before he explained, “This man has sought nothing but conflict since coming into town last night and now it's my responsibility to put him in his place.”

 

“Oh dear! So a man can't enjoy some fine lovey companions and dispel the outrageous story of a giant witch that you simple uneducated savages all believe in.” Ellis chuckled coming to stand off distance having a good laugh after he mocked, “I mean really never in my life have I seen so many fools tricked by such an absurd convoluted hoax.”

 

Mark was dumbfounded by the whole situation as the two men started squaring off before standing in position to draw. His father was a skilled 46 year old blacksmith that knew how muskets worked, but Mark didn't understand why he didn't chose having a sword match instead. After all Nathan's experience in sword forging and training men in swordsmanship was unmatched in town. Then to top the absurdity of everything that happened this past week Ellis refused to knowledge reality despite Justine's massive foot print marking the very dirt street they all stood upon and every single person hearing this man refuting him and attesting to her existence.

 

Seeing the stone cold glare in Nathan's eye as his large buff frame stood proudly awaiting upon the agreed upon 3rd party to call the draw Mark knew there was no talking him out of this. Standing with women and some men also watching on the sidelines Mark took a deep anxious breath. Then in mere flashing moment's a man shouted, “DRAW!”

 

The action was a blur as both men had sticky lighting like fingers, but unfortunately age and inexperience with pistol dueling slowed Nathan's hand as he fired his one shot at dirt. Ellis grinned as he watched the older buff man collapse before briefly kissing his own wooden pistol grip and blowing upon the smoking barrel to punctuate his victory. While feeling the reverberating double black powder explosion from both guns ring throughout his ears, Mark's eye's widened in shock as he watched his father fall backwards onto his back.

 

“Good riddance to the old fool!” Ellis proclaimed as he turned around then strutting around in the street gloating over his victory to those walking by to enter the market and the handful of shops in the surrounding area.

 

Shaking while sitting next to his father struggling to sit back up Mark infused with crippling amounts of confusion and fear cried, “Why did you do this? I need you Father!”

 

Feeling his chest wound from the lead pellet jolt him with excruciating pain Nathan wincing with agony forced himself to reply, “You need nothing....... from this old fool.”

 

“That's not true, no one else in the whole world can provide your love, wisdom and guidance Father. You can't...... just die, because I won't let it happen!” Mark bawled as he sunk into an abyss of despair while hunched over his father.

 

He was never going to a response from him however as Nathan's mind slipped into unconsciousness. Before long his last breath was drawn and the twinkling light of his soul behind his pupils burnt out. Riddled with shock and unparalleled grief Mark clinched his father's chest begging him not to give up. Then from the crowd an old woman placed her hand on Mark's shoulder and said, “Be at peace, for the Lord has called him into heaven and by his holy provenance chosen this time to claim him.”

 

“NO!” Mark screamed as he stood up grabbing the sword handle protruding from Nathans back and lifted the well crafted blade to a battle ready position before proclaiming, “Ellis killed him! There will be no peace until that monster is eaten by worms! I challenge Ellis to duel me right here and now in a sword match!”

 

“So the young man thinks he will fare any better than his useless old man against me in a duel to the death.” Ellis remarked with a mocking tone littered with ego before countering, “Besides it looks like you are unaware that the challenged pick the weapon in a gentleman's duel. All you are is a pathetic young lad in over his head that should tuck his tail in between his legs and cry all the way home to mother.”

 

Then Timothy along with other men began surrounding Ellis before Timothy approaching him warned, “Let's get something straight here Ellis, we don't take kindly to cowards in this town and we give Mark the right of vengeance that forgoes the right of refusal by the challenged. Your choices Ellis are to duel him on his terms or deal with all of us.”

 

Ellis becoming flustered replied, “Coward.....that's outrageous..... I'm no coward, but without a sword of my own how can I possibly fight on his terms?”

 

Sooner than he expected a man coming from the blacksmith's shop carried a sword and called out, “Hope you don't mind Mark, but I think we need to lend sir Ellis a blade for this duel.”

 

Calling back Mark confirmed he was satisfied with lending Ellis a sword. Upon watching Ellis be handed the Walloon style sword that matched his own Mark noticed he seemed cold, quiet and took time in studying it's fine blade. As Ellis examined his weapon it shimmered brightly as the sun's rays reflected from it's clean smooth yet sharp ended surface. One detail of his opponents composure seemed to falter as he gulped before Timothy shouted, “Gentlemen, fight now to the death!”

 

In the moments that followed nearly blind rage fueled Mark as a deep thirst for his opponent's blood to be spilled pumped vigorously though his veins. His thought's were unquestionably scorched and blazed by volatile impulses demanding retribution for his fallen father. The consequences of his choice to fight struggled to even emerge inside his mind as he charged toward Ellis across the dirt street kicking up dust.

 

Contact between Mark's blade and his opponent's released a small spark as Mark made his first strike swiftly. As the clash between them consumed all surrounding attention a skill gap in the duelist became apparent. Mark was swift in foot movement and had quicker more agile reflexes, but Ellis had refinement in his countering of Mark's rage fueled crude strikes.

 

Before long Ellis found an opening to begin taking the offensive as Mark backed off his assault a moment to focus knowing his opponent was skilled. The tides of power soon tiled to side with Ellis as he nearly cut Mark's arm. With a smirk Ellis while locking blades with his opponent gloated, “Face it boy, I'm the only real man in this fight.”

 

Exerting himself Mark shoved Ellis away with a sudden thrust before taking back the offensive. With each strike being countered he soon realized Ellis was noticeably unskilled at defending his upper body. Speeding up his stoke and refining the amount of brute strength used Mark gained the advantage as his blade carved an opening. One that Mark exploited without prejudice as he relentlessly swung his blade over and over in light peppered strikes to expend Ellis of his stamina. With each short swift clash of metal edges grinding upon each other the tilt of power in this fight drifted into Mark's favor with youth and greater agility on his side.

 

Ellis growled in frustration as he forced himself to push past his relatively sluggish foot mobility and exert greater speed in his movement's. Mark's molten smelting rage boiled down into a focused lighting bolt as he refused to hand the offensive back to his opponent. To the shock of the crowd Mark managed to deflect his opponent's desperate fast counter strike. Then with one passion fueled lighting quick thrust behead Ellis, his opponent no more as his body dropped into the dusty dirt street. While his head covered with golden hair freshly painted in blood rolled along the ground leaving a wet scarlet trail behind until coming to a stop a few feet away.

 

Planting his red stained blade into the earth Mark stood wallowing in sorrow as he looked down at the corpse. The man that had slain his father was dead, but in the end Mark found only death left behind as he turned back to his father's body. In falling to his knees Mark quietly took his time morning over his father's body.

 

Then a 21 year old young woman with chocolate brown hair wearing a green dress known to Mark as Elizabeth came behind him. Trying not to startle him she spoke gentle in tone as she said, “Your father was such a good honest man, if there's anything I can do to help please let me know.”

 

Overcome with grief Mark took a moment before standing back up. Turning himself around Mark then replied, “Actually I was just going to pick up and take supplies home before this happened. Traveling alone can be lonely so if you could keep me company for a while, that would be a kind favor.”

 

Coming into the conversation Timothy after walking over said, “We will tell the Priest what happened and begin taking care of the services for your father Mark.”

 

After some time had passed the body of Nathan was collected as Mark watched along with Elizabeth. He in this time also felt guilty upon remembering how it only served to infuse him with rage when the old woman told him his father's death was part of divine planning. With deep reflection Mark decided he would chose his words more carefully in the future when trying to comfort a person about the death of someone they love. In a relatively brisk amount of time Mark returning his focus back to the task at hand bought more supplies and food that Elizabeth greatly insisted on helping carry. Not wishing to spend the rest of the day contesting the issue Mark allowed her to carry some of the lighter sacks.

 

Walking on the way to Mark's house Elizabeth sensing his discomfort drew herself closer before she said, “Please let me carry more, you have to be exhausted after a fight like that one.”

 

“I wouldn't be a gentleman if I allowed a lady to carry more than me.” Mark replied before he said, “After all I already feel guilty that you are carrying anything of mine in the first place.”

 

Blushing Elizabeth struggled to maintain eye contact as she smiled taking a moment to respond before she said, “You don't have to prove your a gentleman Mark, I've known that for years. So please let me help you just a little more.”

 

They until coming to Mark's house playfully squabbled over a number small ultimately unimportant matters. Entering though the front door the atmosphere shifted after putting the sacks full of supplies down. Elizabeth then sat down at the small dinning table unable to quit shifting her bottom in the seat while a certain expression of worry on her face grew. It was like she had been waiting this whole time to ask him something, but couldn't actually muster up the courage to do so.

 

Coming to the table pulling up a seat for himself Mark looking at her brown eyes that struggled to look back into his then asked, “Are you okay?”

 

“I'm s-scared of that giant witch Mark.” Elizabeth mumbled in reply before she implored, “So please take me away from this town.”

 

“I understand, but my father just died right before my eye's. I can't just leave now Elizabeth.” Mark adverting his eyes filled with grief replied

 

Nearly panicking Elizabeth ranted, “Please Mark my parent's refuse to consider leaving! They insist on standing their ground, but I don't want to be here! I don't want to be eaten alive like the others have been!”

 

Looking into her terrified eyes Mark tried to refuse her while being understanding as he said, “You have been my friend for a long time and I would take you out of here, but I already promised that I wouldn't leave. Really I am sorry my dear friend Elizabeth, but I just can't leave without breaking my word.”

 

Becoming angry Elizabeth got up out of the chair and argued, “Our lives are in danger! It's crazy to stay here Mark and I don't care if you have to break your word because we could be the next meal for that witch! Staying here is foolish and if you don't catch some shred of sense right now then your a fool too!”

 

Soon after Mark got up from his chair and exploded as he yelled, “Fine count me a fool for valuing my word if you wish and get out of here now!”

 

Trembling with cold blooded terror Elizabeth broke down crying before she whimpered, “Please..... for the love of God help me though the woods Mark. I-I can't do it alone....... so please forgive me for I know not what I do.”

 

Guilt then slammed Mark like a ton of bricks from the other end of the galaxy. He couldn't help feeling remorse over not taking her fear into enough account as he peered into her brown frightened eyes with great compassion. Her insults seemed a mile away as she griped her own arms nearly ready to have a heart attack in anticipation of his response.

 

Taking a bold stance after much internal conflict Mark confessed, “Please don't cry Elizabeth, I know why your scared and I am sorry for yelling at you. It's just I value my word, my honor and the forgiveness of Christ. You see Elizabeth, the reason I don't want to leave is because I promised Justine I wouldn't and I need you trust me when I say she isn't a monster. She really is trying to atone for those she killed, so now there's no reason to run away.”

 

Blind sighted by Mark's sudden defense of the giant young woman that had eaten several people alive Elizabeth swallowed in shock. She then wiped her face before she stepped forward battling a full deck of emotional turmoil. At last she then shook her head coming into his face to stress, “I always knew you were considerate, kind, loving and forgiving, but you must know someone that has partaken in the darkness of the devil and consumed people can't ever atone or be forgiven for what they have done.”

 

 

 

A feud soon entailed between them due to Mark not wishing to abandon his ideals and prospective that Justine was worthy of a fresh start to seek atonement, redemption and forgiveness. At times the arrangement became quite toxic, but Elizabeth over time calmed down almost coming to accept her friend's desire to redeem a local member of the community. Though after some time it was clear to Elizabeth that Mark at some level was enamored with Justine. A realization that sunk her heart before she decided to become more assertive with her own feelings.

 

With the both of them sitting upon Mark's bed side by side after noon Elizabeth apologized, “I don't want to argue with you anymore Mark, so I'm sorry for not realizing how important this was to you.”

 

“No I shouldn't have been angry with you because I know this has been horrifying for everyone.” Mark replied while feeling his friend scoot over closer as she gently clung to his arm.

 

Tensions crept up upon Elizabeth as she felt her throat dry up worried sick about what she was about to say. Painting a warm smile upon her face Elizabeth weaved her fingers into each other as she rubbed them together. Swallowing as she felt moist sweat lucubrating her flesh from the heat of the irregular contact as she provoked her own will power repeatably until she confessed, “It's okay Mark, because today I-I know for sure....... that I have f-fallen for you..... that I want you and you alone. I know it's not befitting of a lady to profess love before a man, but I can't hide my feelings in the dark just hoping you will know any longer.”

 

Feeling her arms and chest brush against his right arm as she clung onto him caused Mark's pants to inflate and face to blush as he replied, “Elizabeth you are a beautiful, kind and sweet attractive young woman that I care for deeply. That's why I can't just tell you that I feel the same when.....I don't know who my heart yearns to be with.”

 

Before Elizabeth could process Mark's reply a faint thud seemed to shake the room. Then in short order more small objects vibrated on the table and near the stove. They both knew who was coming as they became nervous for differing reasons.

Chapter End Notes:

It's likely going to be a while before the next chapter for a number of reasons, one being that I am going to be taking summer collage classes of compressed torment. The other being that I can't seem to settle on certain things with the future path of the story. Hopefully this chapter turned out well and I sort stuff out with the future path of the plot.