- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

How does the town full of terrorized people react to the carnage caused by Justine's choices?

 

The town that Kevin, Christina, Sarah, John and Mark inhabited is not only enduring a crisis, but a fundamental swift change in prospective on matters of the reality Justine's growth presented. Meetings had been held about the bodies of those Justine had crushed and those that had the misfortune to pass though her digestive system. Collecting the dead from the imprints left by the terrifying giant young woman was demoralizing enough for most men. Along with a number of family members that elected to help with this gruesome mortifying duty to the deceased.

As those with the task of trying to identity those crushed were forced to look at massive scarlet disfigured remains. Bones could be seen partly protruding from the flesh mashed into a nearly flat red disk with splatters of dried dark red stains. On most of the remains anything resembling a face was torn apart from the shear force of being stepped on or swatted down by Justine. All of this carnage before their very eyes made even the strongest willed men shed a tear. Only the scent of rotting flesh was worse than the actual sight before the men trying to accomplish the dreadful task of picking up what they could find of the bodies that partly were compacted into the dirt. Some men looking at the exposed flattened corpses couldn't hold their stomach back from revolting as they vomited inside their own mouths.

Those unfortunate enough to be wading though the large pond of urine to extract the remains of those embedded in Justine's solid waste however found their work even more horrifying and thoroughly repulsive. A group of ten men worked non stop from dawn until mid day to remove whatever bones and clothing they could from the massive lump of feces that waded in the urine she expelled. The priest overseeing the work was greatly slobbered by the slight of pale human bones covered in a coat of crusty rank brown matter being pulled out by hand one at a time.

It was grueling heart crushing work not for the timid or those with weak constitutions. Placing the bones into individual sacks seemed demeaning to the dead, but with bodies that been mostly been melted down and absorbed by Justine's titanic digestive system it was the only realistic transport option. After the priest seemed satisfied with the collection of remains he returned with the men to prepare the family's with reported missing or dead persons to look at what was collected with a doctor.

The mother of James had really become a stickler to town leadership once she found out about Justine's existence. Her husband meanwhile was a eager member of Priest Wesley's giant hunting party baring both a pitchfork and six inch long dagger on his person. They along with other family's had agreed to meet at the local medical establishment run by the doctor that planned on lightly studying the remains before carrying out a proper service for them.

Amelia hoped desperately that Brad was merely missing, but deep down she knew before even seeing the remains his clothing would be in the building. A few other wife's followed her in sharing the same hope their loved ones weren't among the dead, while fearing the worst. Inside the small structure was cramped due to how many showed up to see what was left of the victims. People bumped into each other nearly knocking small objects off shelf's and caused the air to heat as their mass of body heat released into the room.

While the group of people glazed over the clothing and nearly drowned in their sorrow one man then yelled, “That evil giant witch ate my daughter! We should be finding a way to kill that monster, not sitting here waiting for her to eat more of us!”

The mother of James knew this man as the father of her sons girlfriend and added, “He is right, God Damn it! ”

Before long the anger in the small confined space spun out of control as others demanded peace be maintained to respect the dead. This only amplified the high strung tensions as the conflict descended into mindless bickering. Breaking though this screaming match the doctor infuriated with the depravity he was seeing unfold before his very eyes yelled, “Don't you people have any shame? This is a place of healing and respect, not a damn bar. If you fools must fight, then do it outside. If you people or should I say animals wish to stay then hold your filthy tongues!”

The crowd fell silent ashamed of their conduct as two of the men stormed out of the building making a remark about going to Priest Wesley's mob. Amelia upon spotting the clothing that was identical to what she last saw Brad wearing on the day of his disappearance sank into weeping despair. Finding it unbelievable this abhorrent could happen as her eyes fixated on the pile of remains.

As the family's slowly came to terms with the reality of what had occurred to their loved ones, the doctor of level mind soberly documented each victim while allowing family members to express grievances over their heinous fate. Though even with his note taking and pondering he couldn't help feeling inadequacy in understanding what the victims experienced while traveling though an entire digestive system that might not be quite human for all he knew. After all he had his doubt's scientifically if a giant would still maintain the same organ structures and function in the same way as normal sized human beings do. For the moment of his writings however he choose to minimize speculations, instead choosing to write a report of his findings with the assumption Justine was simply a human being scaled up to a monstrously terrifying size.

Meanwhile Sarah after spending the morning crying decided to warn Christina and Kevin of Justine's deeds. She at times wanted to turn back when traveling to their house. But actually Sarah had a more selfish reason for going as well that kept her from backtracking home. That being she felt illogically responsible for her friend's transformation. More than that what hurt the most was she couldn't stop loving Justine even after learning of her cannibalism.

It was as though their relationship was so powerfully magnetic that she just couldn't bring herself to emotionally pull away. Despite the poisoned well of trust and the toxic nature of what her giant friend had done Sarah knew that someone else needed to talk sense into her before she actually started making excuses for Justine's actions inside her own mind. Though by the time Sarah knocked on the door she doubted she could be forthright and explain to Christina what Justine had done.

Finding her own chest tighten Sarah looked around scanning the tree line and waited until Christina had come outside before whispering as she asked, “Do you know what Justine has done?”

The wind of that statement sent subtle chills down Christina's spine as she basically could tell by Sarah's tone and body language what this was about. Taking a deep breath after clearing her throat Christina managed a reply, “She saved my life the other day Sarah! That's all I need to know about what she has done.”

This response slammed into Sarah's frame of mind as she wasn't prepared for this at all. The question arose within her mind if pressing the issue was right. Quickly despite this she blurted out, “No...... you don't understand Christina, she has.............. eaten people!”

Watching her breakdown in a mess of tears after rashly spiting out those words caused Christina to be much more sympathetic as she spoke keeping her tone quietly soft, “Please understand me Sarah, I had a hard time accepting what she did. I was more appalled than anyone.......”

“.......But she does......... C-Care about me. I-I can't just...... leave.” Christina crackled becoming more fearful as she hoped Kevin wouldn't hear them talking outside the front door.

Hearing her speak this way caused the pit inside Sarah's stomach to drop. Coming here to warn her and Kevin seemed pointless as clearly Christina has known for sometime. Noticing the subtle trembling Christina's body expressed she embraced her. Deep down Sarah had come here to be comforted, but building her resolve she whispered, “It's okay to cry, I'm here for you Christina.”

Feeling her finger nails dig into her back Sarah firmly brushed up against her faintly yellow winkled dress allowing Christina's tears to slowly drip onto her shoulders. Their hair contrasted greatly as the golden strands of Sarah's glimmered in the sunlight while Christina's much darker long brown hair only briefly shimmered as it became a mess draping over Sarah's back as it loosened up. Whimpering momentarily Christina nearly losing all cohesion rambled, “I-I-I saw.....her............E-eat people. She S-Swallowed them all............... Whole and they were A-Alive going down her throat...... I-I couldn't believe H-How many she ate Sarah................. she's a M-Monster Sarah....... A Monster.”

Kevin laying in bed managed to eavesdrop on at lest part of the conversation before Christina quieted her tone. His stomach tightened still trying to process what he heard Sarah say. It was painful for him to learn even Justine's best friend had bought into what he honestly believed were slanderous rumor's being spread. People out in the world were so terrified of his sister now and he left in his room couldn't even talk to her.

Stirring within his mind he remembered Christina claimed to actually have seen his sister kill people. Now that he was beginning to trust her more, it was harder for him to deny her claim even if she did recant it. Then once he thought about how Justine must feel about being called a monster just for growing into a giant Kevin cried feeling horribly guilty that he even thought about believing she had killed anyone. It was like his heart had betrayed his sister for wondering even for a moment if she committed the horrifying act's she was accused of.

After letting go of her distraught friend Sarah's tone inked with sorrow asked, “Does Kevin know?”

Alarm bells rang in Christina's mind screaming at her to withhold the truth. She was unquestioningly captive to the cold blooded terror of what might happen to her if Sarah leads Kevin into accepting the truth. Without much hesitation she answered simply, “Yes, he knows”

Of course she intentionally omitted the fact he berried deep in denial rejects any notion of Justine's transgressions being true. Sarah though missed the signs her friend's body language were giving her and remarked, “It must be really hard on him.”

“Yes, it's been rough for us both.” Christina responded wiping her moist face, seeking the chance to shift the conversation away from Justine's crimes as she then asked, “Did you want to eat supper with us?”

Sarah accepted the offer reluctantly wondering why she felt left in the dark even after everything she learned. When pulling a seat at the table she tried keeping her light blue dress from accidentally snagging on the chair, being mindful of the short protrusions that were the supporting backbone of the seat. The conversation that ensued was much lighter mostly because they both wanted nothing more than to believe life was still normal. Even with their friend being a towering rampaging giant that has consumed and crushed people.

Christina glanced out the kitchen window spotting a large group in the distance. She knew it was the mob that people have been joining. Obviously Priest Wesley managed to get quite a congregation to swell as a raging human wave marching toward the house Christina and Kevin were in. With a quick gulp she determined the angry mob must have decided to blame them for being those close to Justine.

Scratching fear drove her to nearly panic as she announced, “We need to be hidden Sarah, there's a mob outside coming for us!”

There was a clear disconnect between Christina's opinion and Sarah's in processing the potential danger as Sarah confused asked, “Why do we need to fear them, aren't they after Justine?

Frustrated with her nativity Christina grabbed Sarah's shoulder's as she pronounced, “Yes and guess what........ if they can't kill her who do you think they are going to take their wrath out on Sarah?”

“B-but they wouldn't hurt us, I mean we didn't do anything wrong.” Sarah replied still waist deep in denial.

Kevin only hearing parts of the conversation called out from his room, “What's going on out there?”

Grabbing a chair Christina glossed over his question as she planted the wooden seat against the front door. Then looking at the broken rear doorway she commanded, “Sarah help me put this table against the back door!”

Not wishing to argue with her frightened friend any longer Sarah gripped two legs of the wooden table after helping Christina clean it off. The furniture was heavier than she expected as it strained her arms. Sarah thought about leaving, but knew if the mob was here to retaliate that Kevin was a helpless target. Just the passing thought of people killing him was enough to make her sick as what happened wasn't his fault.

Priest Wesley along with his group of around 50 people began encircling the modest dwelling as they raised their lanterns, rope, torches and pitchforks up high. It was a human storm stirring up from rage and fear. Between the chaos of their actions and feverish chants, not many things in the world were quite as terrifying than this mindless mass of extremely enraged and frightened people. The scene had long degraded into a hurricane of screaming, shouts and throwing of small objects as people chanted, “Witches will burn! Witches will burn!”

As tremors ran down her spine Christina tried in vein to hold at least a shred of her composure. What she was facing terrorized her to the bone as men began trying to break the front door down. Hearing the joints holding the door in place crack and split away from the wooden frame was enough to instill pure terror into her racing heart. Looking over to Sarah she wasn't doing that much better to her surprise as she mumbled to herself clearly in shock with hands over her head sitting on the floor.

This pounding abruptly ended with the front door impacting the ground with a echo as it was shoved away from the frame. Christina ran into Kevin's bedroom locking the door behind her as they came in though the front door. While Sarah found herself swiftly in the harsh grip by three men not sparing even the slightest amount of gentleness as they dragged her outside to the ferociously festering blood thirsty mob.

Glass shattered as men smashed the bedroom window upon seeing Christina lock the door behind her. In her terror she screamed as fragments of the clear sharp objects pelleted her. Two strong men then followed behind Priest Wesley as he stepped over the frame the glass was held in while avoiding getting cut by remaining protruding glass shards. While one of the men moved behind Christina to unlock the bedroom door Priest Wesley exclaimed, “Christina, you and Sarah are guilty of witchcraft! However Kevin may go free if he disowns Justine, otherwise he will join the fate of the wicked!”

Even with the world against Justine he wasn't going to abandon her. He just couldn't do that to her and at this point the number of accusers hardly mattered as Kevin couldn't disown Justine after all the time she took to care for him in his darkest hours and his most bleak vulnerable moments. Speaking a word against her much less actually declaring she wasn't part of his family was never going to happen. His choice was clearly set in stone as Kevin firmly with pride in his conviction's rebuked, “I will never do that, she is my sister!”

Christina finding herself surrounded as men entered the room from behind her cowered in fear left unable to speak as Priest Wesley spoke, “Then you shall burn as well boy for you see evil as good!”

“He doesn't understand and we didn't make her into a giant, so please have mercy on us father Wesley.” Christina begged quickly in response.

With a slight twitch of his face Priest Wesley ordered, “Take the witch and the boy outside to face righteous judgment!”

“She's innocent!” Kevin kept repeating as men picked him up.

While Christina being dragged out then yelled, “Please spare us we had nothing to do with this! I disown her and everything she has done! So for the love of God don't do this, we aren't witches!”

With all three of them carried out into the crowd eager to begin lynching the father of James came to Christina staring her in the eye filled with deeply burning rage. His posture and facial expression spoke volumes before his lips even parted. Before he barked the first word Christina felt the glares bearing down upon her to the point it felt like her very soul was being crushed under the weight of their collective fury.

“You damn evil harlot practiced witchcraft and now my son James is DEAD! Because of YOU God damn it!” The man finally burst out screaming at her.

Guilt bolted straight into Christina's heart as she thought about how her lie to Justine led to his death. She nearly choked in tears as she feared being burned at the stake was divine punishment for her deadly lie. Barely able to muster a response she mumbled, “I didn't practice witchcraft........ It's N-not my fault he...........D-D-died.”

“Like hell it isn't, now let's burn her!” A random man in the crowd overhearing Christina's words shouted.

Looking around Christina saw men setting up stakes surrounded by piles of wood. The atmosphere was declining with the setting sun painting the landscape with a tinge of orange as the mountain range began to obscure the round dimming disk of light in the sky. People were nearly cheerful in their demands to see her slowly be burned alive. All for being an easy person to blame for the misfortune that had befallen them.

Fear gripped Christina's heart tighter with each passing moment realizing she was that much closer to seeing flames begin to grouch upon her body. The heat would soon be scorching her exposed skin as people chanted in joy at seeing her snuffer a horrifying slow death. This suspense of her gruesome impending fate chipped away at her as she glanced at Sarah who was still pleading her case to convince the mob all three of them are innocent.

Christina though could tell this mob was out for blood, they were going to kill someone today no matter what. To her they were like a pack of starving wolf's ready to mindlessly slaughter the next living creature that crossed paths with them. If it was between her life and Sarah's she knew deep down who mattered more to her. Push was coming to shove and now she was going to make the call as she cleared her throat while tears poured from her guilt filled eyes.

Once the last of her self control gave way while crying Christina suddenly burst out pleading, “It was all Sarah and Justine, they sold themselves to the devil wanting to become witches. When Justine became a giant she threatened my family and forced me to take care of Kevin. I never wanted anything to do with her or witchcraft! So please have mercy on me, I am innocent! Innocent I tell you all!”

Covering her mouth Sarah gasp nearly unbelieving what she heard Christina desperately declare. Her friend just blamed her falsely and still said she was innocent. It thoroughly crushed her spirit to hear Christina so vehemently disown her as though she didn't matter. Then turning her head toward Kevin that was laid on a pile of wood she stared into his eye's afraid of how the crowd would respond to Christina's accusations.

Upon hearing Christina's plea priest Wesley took time to contemplate the situation as he pondered her words. Most of what she said seemed to be the truth if not all of it in his mind. After all it was easy for him to imagine being forced into remaining silent by a monumentally towering girl and a witch with the powerful dark forces of this world behind her. Coming to a conclusion Priest Wesley addressed the crowd projecting his voice over there shouts, “The Lord has spoken to me and Christina is to be spared his wrath for she is innocent, but Sarah must burn for her sins of witchcraft and worship of the evil one.”

Kevin was purely outraged at Christina. She stabbed both Sarah and his sister in the back by offering them both up to be condemned. Not able to keep his lips sealed one moment longer he shouted, “Christina is lying! They would never sell out to the devil! Sarah is the most gentle soul I know and Justine would never hurt anyone! My sister is innocent!”

The crowds anger grew as they looked down upon Kevin with scorn and fury for those counted among the dead by his giant sister. Sarah held in the tight grip of her two large captors could only tremble as she wept in sorrow. Now hardly able to keep up with the swift whipsaw of anger brewing around her she whimpered, “I would never.... ever sell my soul and have never forsaken God. Never.......never”

Some members of the crowd now began picking up dirt covered stones and throwing them at Kevin who had declared his sister innocent. Priest Wesley seeing the anger boiling over in his surroundings stood in the middle of the enraged crowd with his arms outstretched into the air spread widely declared, “Those heathens have sold their souls to the dark prince and his demons, practicing in their evils! However now my brothers and sisters in Christ they will face judgment by fire for turning someone into a abomination of desolation! For I promise you God shall render his righteous judgment upon the wicked!”

Looking down in despair Sarah could see a small stone reverberate momentarily as a tremor itched the bottom of her feet. Then a man keeping her constrained shouted, “It's her, she's coming!”

Chapter End Notes:

Now the question begging to be asked is how Justine will react to this turn of events?