- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

 

The Federation Chronicles

Olympus Colony

Chapter 6 Train to Hades




It was very early and the Poseidon star wasn’t even above the horizon yet.




"Do you have anything to declare Lauria?"




"No,.. Just doing a typical check up on them. See you in a little bit."




Lauria entered the arena. There were little lights beaming out of some of the structures. They tended to come from the larger ones. Obviously stove fires of some sort . "Were they the more exclusive hovels?" She wondered... This could be a fire hazard she reasoned but would be silent about it for now.




For she had a more pressing mission to tend to for occasion.




Looking up she could see the peacekeeper snoring in a seated position. The other peacekeeper was nowhere to be found. So without a moment to squander she bend down quickly and pretended to be examining some of the small roof tops while her right hand fished something out of her belt pouch. Securing it in her fingers she removed the small being and set her on the ground behind a row of houses that bordered the train tracks.




Then rising just as quickly she walked over to another area. The one with the glowing windows in order to see what the tiny humans had come up with this time. Her communication device at the ready to take live footage of her find.




*******




Three hours prior




"Ok Sheega, Let’s go over this one more time...




I will sneak you into Shanty Town again but only this time place you over by the rail line where you will board the train when it docks at first light.




You will ride it all the way and remember all events that happen on it. Then I want you to pull a day of labor at the Glowberry farm and tell me everything that happens there.




Try to remember everything that the other humans talk about and how they are treated too.




I will pick you up that evening when the train arrives and all of the humans have disembarked at the same place that I dropped you off at. Then we’ll go home and you can tell me what you learned."




"When I’m back can I have cake?" Said the innocent beautiful woman as she looked up hopefully into her Master’s eyes.




Lauria couldn’t help but smile and the cuteness of her pet. The lady was her senior in age but only by a few relative human years. She had reddish brunette short hair braided into small flower pedal shapes upon her pretty skull. With intelligent green eyes and a mind to match it.. A very tall strong physical body with well toned features that made her a force to be reckoned with to any human she was near.




Sheega had learned by the Educator quickly and could already read, write, and do mathematical reasoning if need be. She was quite the artist too, and could paint the most beautiful designs that Lauria had ever scene upon her finger and toe nails.




When Lauria didn’t have Sheega teaching the children at the hidden Shanty Town schools, she would send her out on covert reconnaissance missions like this one.




Lauria worried about her cute little pet’s safety when making Sheega do these sorts of things but had told herself that Sheega was working for the rest of the good Titans for the betterment of all the humans on the Colony and that the risk was worth the reward.. At least that’s how she rationalized putting her favorite pet in harms way from time to time.




She would certainly buy a strawberry cupcake for Sheega once she collected her later that night and had her safely back in their home.




********




Sheega saw the large metal beast known as the transport shuttle quickly approach from the opposite side of the old arena. It was completely automated and moved at a certain time with no exceptions.. You either made the train that morning or you were left behind which meant no food voucher for that day.




There were already hundreds if not thousands of humans around her now. Anxiously waiting for the metal beast to stop so that they could hurriedly board.




Sheega had heard the horror stories about the train so was naturally very nervous when it stopped and everyone around her began to hurry onto the flatbeds.




She was near the very front car which would become the last car once it had reversed direction and went out of the arena. Knowing that she only had five minutes to climb aboard she made haste by climbing the metal steps that hung off the side of the flat box car.




It was very crowded and she just managed to squeeze herself between a few men who were busy squatting down to lie as prone as possible. Every square inch had a human body on it. Many were laying over top each other. But nobody dared to stand. This was not lost on Sheega who figured she would do the same.




Someone close to her face began speaking to her.




"Hey, that’s some brand new and very clean clothing you have there. First time on the job?"




Sheega was worried that her cover was already blown but tried to play it off.




"I just arrived the other day. I’m new here."




Another man chimed in.. "Well, she’s got some big jugs on her. I wonder if she’d let me milk them on the way to the farm?"




A chorus of masculine voices began to laugh at the remarks.. Sheega was so infuriated that she didn’t even notice that the train had already started to move and was picking up speed.




Sheega countered. "If you even think about touching them... I’ll throw you right over the side you stupid prick!"




Another chorus of laughter erupted to her scathing reply.




The offending man who looked like he’d crawled right out of a cesspool just looked back at her. His eyes contemplating.




Sheega began to look around her... The train was moving very fast now and wind was beginning to whip at everyone’s burlap rags that they wore. The hovels were zipping by in a blur now.




Then all went dark as they went into what could only be a tunnel within the wall. It was at this point that Sheega felt a hand upon her right breast.




A moment later and the darkness was replaced with bright light. They were outside of the arena and traveling through the colony in what appeared to be a common water run off sewage system recessed into the pavement to allow waste to travel out of the city. The side walks and roads were a few feet above with common pedestrian and vehicle bridges passing just over their heads.




But Sheega didn’t have much time to worry about this as she had an assailant to tend to at first.




"I warned you didn’t I?"




Sheega kicked her primitive mocassin into the mans face knocking him back.




The men who were watching all gave a cry of shock and entertained glee at the amazon’s feistiness.




The wild human who had been kicked got up and balled his fists.. This was not over, but just beginning.




Sheega did the same and realized that she was a full head taller than the man. This was not lost on the wide eyed urchin either who paused at the realization.




A voice from the entertained crowd sang out. . "What’s the matter Beeorn? Bit off more than you can chew this time?"




Beeorn looked to the instigator and snarled. He had to do something now. So without warning he launched a sucker punch into Sheega’s stomach doubling the surprised amazon over to which he delivered a flawless upper cut that sent her back over several live bodies who were enjoying the spectacle.




Landing about ten odd feet back towards the front of the box car. Beeorn smiled and was already advancing for the kill when a whole swath of people in between a gasping Sheega and Beeorn suddenly were knocked clear off of the box car in exploded pieces.




Everyone looked up to see a young Titan girl with a sling shot in her hands smiling at her excellent accomplishment. She howled a scream of delight and then began to run after the train intent on capturing a new pet or two.




"Oh my Goddess! she’s coming after us!" A terrified woman screamed.




And she was... The young girl resembled a massive predatory dinosaur from some b-rated horror film as her massive legs churned propelling her closer with each step to the back of the train. Her hands outstretched ready to pluck anyone she could clamp them upon. An evil smile of indulgence upon her face.




Sheega used this diversion to right herself and launch at the perpetrator who was too busy watching the advancing Titaness to see what was coming.




Sheega connected a right hook to his jaw and sent him flying the opposite direction towards the end of the train. A single guard rail at the end stopping his fall.




Turning around he was met by another punch to his face which made him see stars. Sheega pressed the advantage and brought her knee to his stomach making him double over that time. This was followed by a upper cut that lifted him all the way up and caused him to uncurl to the point of teetering over the rail, his back being the only support that kept him on the train.




Sheega grabbed his foot and shoved him back over the rail.. Beeorn gave a shriek as he fell off of the fast moving train just missing the electrical track that was high above the sewage water making splash as he hit.




All eyes were upon Beeorn as the child Titaness stopped her pursuit in order to scoop up the hapless human.




"Yippy!" She wailed as she brought him out of the water enclosed within her meaty fist and began skipping away with him...




No-one ever saw Beeorn again....




*******




z88;




Sheega sat down and kneaded her swelling jaw gingerly with her finger tips.




The other humans watched her in awe for a few moments before going back to their safe prone positions lest the wind blow them off and they suffer a similar fate as Beeorn or the other people who had just been killed by a metal pellet the size of a bowling ball.




The man who was the first to ask her about her cloths was sitting near her and spoke through the howling rushing air.




"That was some good fighting you just pulled off. Where’d you learn to do that?"




Sheega thought about telling him about the Educator that Lauria was allowing her to use but thought better of it.




"I come from the woods of Vorishia and had six older brothers who bullied me constantly. That’s where I learned to fight." She lied.




The man seemed satisfied with the answer but kept the conversation going.




" Yeah well I could tell that you were a Wild once you first spoke up against Beeorn. The Farmed humans only know how to grovel and worship false Gods. But us Wilds know better . Well if this is your first time to the plantation stay near me.. I’ll get you a cushy job for the day. I’m friends with some of the guards. My name is Craigy." The Wild human offered his hand in friendship to the taller muscular lady.




Sheega smiled and returned the handshake.. This was a very good turn of events she reasoned.




******




The train left the massive Titan houses and flew into the countryside with the humans still hanging on for dear life. It was a long journey before all of the trees gave way to bushes that had the all important Glowberries growing upon them.




When the train began to slow, a dock could be seen just up ahead with several thousand humans waiting to board.




Sheega looked over to Craigy for an explanation who looked up ahead with a knowing glance.




"That’s the night shift. You get one and a half food rations if you work it. That’s if you can get on the train in the evening. Lot’s of fights break out for a spot on that evening twelve hour, so I’ve learned just to let them go and make due with my single ration on the day shift.




When we dock, follow me and I’ll take you to the correct line."




Sheega nodded her head in earnest as she was very uncertain and weary of what lie ahead.




When the steel wheels did finally come to a stop she could see several terrifying beasts in black jump suits with whips in their hands shouting at the people to move along and disembark. Cracking their whips at people’s legs as they hurried past.




When Craigy hopped down she was right on his heals. There was a large fence entrance with a slogan above it she read to say "Work is Food and Food is Life".




She didn’t like that slogan one bit but continued on with Craigy.




They went through the obnoxious gate and were faced with another partition fence that had several lines with more of these pig faced looking beings that stood well over six feet in height and were muscular as well. But it was their faces that really bothered her.. They really did appear to be pig like. With ugly round bulging eyes just above a traditional pig’s snout with fangs coming out of their lips. They could only be judged as humans in bipedal form only. They were just too savage and animal looking from the neck up to pass as a human species.




"What are those things?" Sheega asked.




"Oh, the plantation guards. This is your first time seeing them I can see.




Yes well, they’re not humans.. They call themselves Orcs. And they are indigenous to this moon. I don’t know if they are found anywhere else because I never saw or heard of them until I was caught and shipped over here.




They follow a weird form of government that has a very dehumanizing way to look at things and they worship the Titan named Ilsa who is in charge of the plantation. I’ll tell you more about them later... Just avoid eye contact with them and follow me over to this far line."




Sheega didn’t need to be told twice as they walked through the throngs of people who were going through a row of lines with tables.. Each one with stacked baskets upon it. One being issued to each person as they were roughly handled through the entrance passage of the fence partition.




They came to the final checkpoint at the far side of the partition fence where Craigy walked up to the jack booted Orc and nodded his head in acknowledgment. He pointed to the taller lady behind him and stated that she was with him.




The Orc made a snarl and walked up to the amazon in order to inhale her scent. They were of equal height Sheega noticed as the Orc sniffed up and down her neck. When done the other two guards did the same to her as if they were learning her unique identity given off from the pheromones of her bodily sweat.




The Orc put his whip handle into her back and pushed her along through the entryway to the other side of the partition.




There on the table were what looked like gardening jugs filled with water. Sheega watched Craigy grab one in each hand and begin to walk off towards the fields which action she mimicked in order to keep up with him.




"Listen, we’ll split up and meet here when the sun is at high noon. You will need to refill your water jugs at around that time anyway.. Your job is to give people water. Just poor it into their mouths as you walk down each bushel row. Everyone usually partakes if they know what’s good for them.




The Orcs were chosen by Ilsa early on and enslaved by her to be the camp guards here in order to whip everybody else into picking the Glowberries. They seem uniquely temperamented to the task. They all are fanatically loyal to her and will torture anyone who stops working for even a second. They will kill you with a second offense. So don’t mess around with them and just don’t make eye contact.. Otherwise they might decide that you are pretty."




Sheega watched Craigy head down the center road and bank a hard left down the first row of Glowberry bushes. Not needing anymore instruction than what she already had she copied his direction and then started banking to the right rows.




While giving people their much needed water in order to survive she noticed how fast and hard they were working with the black clothed Orcs walking up and down the rows looking for the slightest infraction.




She saw one teenager pulled away from a bush where he had been collecting the berries and taken off to the top of a hill which had a row of thin metal boxes with just enough room for a person to stand up in. They looked like they were cooking the people inside of them as the hot sunlight beat down upon the aluminum sides. She thought about taking water to the unfortunates trapped within but there were three Orcs standing between her and the hot boxes. She’d never make it without joining the unfortunates inside one.




Noon came and she met Craigy at the watering station where their jugs were filled again. This time they were each given a wagon loaded with loafs of bread. Craigy explained that each person was only to receive one slice and nothing more which she carefully did.




The hot day went on like this, hour after hour with each human dutifully sawing away at branches in order to release a very large melon sized Glowberry to fill the mouth of their basket while others ran with the filled baskets to the collection points.




Sheega was in horror of the working conditions. The entire day would be spent in this brutal fashion. Day after day after day she looked on with depression.




At the end of the shift Craigy told her to follow him once more where everyone was converging at. This was the food voucher line. Everyone who had participated got a chip that was enough to be exchanged for a certain amount of food at the commissary back in Shanty Town. They were also given a single slice of bread for the ride home on the train which they immediately headed for once they got their silver chip.




Once the humans had been pushed, kicked, and whipped back onto the flatbed box cars it was back to the horrifying speeds once again. Craigy kept his head close to Sheega and explained a little more of what had happened.




Apparently Ilsa and her fellow team of Titans had enslaved the Orcs and pressed them into service noticing their particularly cruel dispositions and how the Orcs would actually thrive in such capacities. They were given large amounts of food and their black militaristic clothing was tailored by humans in sweat shops at various locations on the plantation. They even had their own community that they would fester out of each day in order to brandish more misery to the overworked humans each day..




This conversation was cut short when a thunderstorm unleashed torrents of cold water upon the beleaguered passengers as their uncovered train bolted through the unrelenting soaking rain and chilling them to the bone.




It only let up when they got to Shanty Town’s loading dock where the night shift batch of humans were waiting impatiently to embark.




Sheega told Craigy that she would look for him tomorrow or one day the following week in the same car that they had met on before they said their goodbyes.




Sheega watched the departing humans leave and the next shift wearily embark for their night of misery. About ten minutes later Lauria came along and offered her hand to Sheega who slowly got onto it and collapsed from exhaustion making Lauria very concerned for what she’d truly gotten her pet into this time. But there was time for that later as she gently stowed Sheega away into her belt pouch and made her way back to their home...




******




From the shadows of the rickety hovels Craigy silently watched the Titaness gently collect her pet and walk off with her before smiling and vanishing down the winding streets to his own pitiful shack.