- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Another chapter already?! NotSirk what are you doing. The last one hasn't even left the most recent page yet!!!!

 

MAJOR/minor Chapter 2: MAJOR/first step

 

Izzellah was ready and waiting for her father to finish his morning routine. His routine being a complete absence of one at all. It was 7:30 and she was already dressed and ready to go while he was still sleeping. Sure maybe he didn’t have to be to work for three hours but her first day of school, “real” school started at 8:00. She didn’t want to be late. Damn she wished she could drive! Then he could sleep in as long as he wanted. Instead she was staring at almost a half ton of MAJOR inconvenience saw logs without a care in the world.

“Papa!” She shouted hoping to rouse the giant man.

He did not respond except with a loud snore and a mouthful of rancid morning breath.  

She tried pushing him a bit just to get him going, but Ignacio was not a small man if “small” was even a word one could apply to a MAJOR and more than that he was built. Not resting on the laurels of superior biology the man regularly worked out on top of the working a physically demanding job in construction. He would not move if he didn’t want to. Not by force anyway.

Izzellah stood on her tiptoes to look at his digital clock. 7:33 it read. She didn’t know why he even bothered to have one since he never set an alarm.

“Fine.” She said to herself. She would have to be mean this morning if she hoped to get to school on time. She went to her father’s bathroom and searched the cabinet under the sink for anything she could find that would suit her need. She found a large plastic bucket with a number of toiletries inside. She dumped them out and headed for the shower. Her first thought was to turn the dial and fill the bucket with ice cold water. That would be a rather rude but effective method of waking her papa. Unfortunately her disability was a factor. Izzellah never saw herself as handicapped in anyway. She wasn’t blind or impaired. She’d never lost a limb and her mental health was immaculate, but when confronted with the fact that a simple faucet dial built for a MAJOR was out of her reach she had to accept that this option was an impossibility for her. Unless she wanted to go downstairs and get a step stool which would take more time than just walking down the hall and filling it in her bathroom specially built for a minor. Houses with these amenities were a rare find because honestly 90% of families just didn’t need them. Still you could find them on the market because they were sold at considerably higher than market price to make a profit. Not to mention just having one minor in the neighborhood looked good for the community. Izzellah didn’t understand it but she was thankful for her bathroom nonetheless and the extra money her papa spent on their home. It more than paid for itself on days like this. She filled the bucket halfway and lugged it back to her father’s bedside. He was still snoozing like a newborn in the peaceful embrace of Morpheus.

“Papa!” She tried one more time. “Sorry for this.”

She dumped the cold water on him and he erupted from the bed in frigid excitement.

He jolted his head back and forth as water soaked hair slapped against his face.

“What in blazes!” He screamed wide eyed. He looked at his daughter with confusion as he breathed in a panicked breath. “Is something wrong?! Is the house on fire?!”

“You’re gonna make me late!” Izzellah said as she pointed to the clock that now read 7:48 am.

“Izzy.” Ignacio sighed as his pulse settled.

“Don’t Izzy me.” Izzellah berated. “School starts at eight! We have to leave now.”

Ignacio facepalmed. He was already starting to regret enrolling her. She was too smart and too earnest for her own good. She’d outpaced homeschooling years ago and a minor school was out of the question for her.

“You’re a minor sweetheart.” He said not as an insult but as a fact. “You only have to go to school for half the day. Your school day starts at 10:00 and ends at 1:00. I’ve already gotten time off work for it and everything.’

“No!” Izzellah denied. She was well aware of her “recommended” curriculum. “My day starts at eight like everyone else’s!’

“Ayyyy!’ Ignacio groaned. He looked into his daughter’s eyes, sharp and determined. She would fight him on this and if he said no probably hate him for it. Dammit he would always lose to her with stuff like this. She was just like her mother in that regard. Minor couldn’t describe that woman and it didn’t describe Izzellah either. “.....FINE!” he relented. “But I’m getting food in me and a hot cup of coffee before I even think about driving you anywhere.”

 


 

 

Izzellah grimaced as she walked down the halls of WInton Heights High. It was 8:32. She was already late for her first class because her father insisted on having a shower and shave first, before toasting a bagel and finally driving her to school. All things he could’ve done if he bothered to wake up at a reasonable hour. She needed to fix that. Ever since her mom passed he been slowly getting back into his old slothish habits.

“Where are we going?” She asked as she jogged to keep pace with his long strides. The halls were empty as they passed classroom after classroom each filled with students actually learning something.

“Relax, kiddo.” her papa yawned. “You’re not even enrolled in a morning class. I gotta talk with the faculty to find a place to put you.”

“Morning math with Ms. Applegate, room 302!” Izzellah said. She flashed a schedule she printed out the night before. It had every class she wanted and every class she “had” to take on it.

“Well someone’s prepared.” her father smiled. “But that’s not how it works. We don’t know if those classes have any extra space.”

Izzellah scoffed at the idea of “extra space” for a minor. What MAJOR class wouldn’t have that.

“Don’t worry, Izzy.” Ignacio took his daughter with feigned exertion and rested her on his shoulder. “Your old man will make sure you get at least one class you want.” He eyed the schedule she had with trepidation. “Hopefully.” They reached a door with the name “Gladston” on it under the word “principal” engraved on a stained glass window. Ignacio knocked then went in.

 


 

 

Principal Geoffrey Gladston was a balding man with a full beard of grey wisdom and stress. As he stared at Mr. Ignacio Ivory and his teen minor daughter he knew this new development would only add to it. “Ummmm…. I-”

“Look, pally.” Ignacio said. “Let me be clear here. I’m totally okay with whatever decision you make. I’m fine hauling my ass back in my truck and going home until ten. This is all on this little girl.” He said pointing at his daughter. She sat beside him in a chair five times too big for her with crossed arms and the look of the devil in her eyes. It seemed like she might actually kill him for denying her.

“Well it is a bit unprecedented.” Gladston said. “But not entirely unheard of. Out of our thirteen minor students we do have one that regularly attends MAJOR classes but well he’s already been……..”

“Bonded.” Ignacio finished.

“Precisely. I feel like it might be a action of gross negligence to just let Izzellah participate in a MAJOR class without some sort of assurance on her safety. I trust the students of Winton Heights but it’s always best to avoid an incident where you can.”

“I can take care of myself!” Izzellah said. She reached into her backpack and procured a large metal spray canister. It was mace.

“She’s prepared for everything!” Ignacio bragged in surprise. “Where did she even get that?!”

“You….you do know that doesn’t work on MAJORS right?.....Ms. Ivory.” Gladston informed.

“I have a baton to!” Izzellah said then she went back to her backpack to procure it.

Gladston was taken aback.

“Okay! Let’s just pause for a moment.” Ignacio said. “Believe it or not I actually have a solution for this.” He stopped his daughter before she could brandish her weapon. He took the tiny collapsible stick from her and had to stop himself from snickering at the image of his daughter trying to assault a MAJOR with it. It might work if she went for the eyes or groin. “You have a Sabrina Rodriguez enrolled here right?”

Izzellah flinched. He wouldn’t!

“Rodriguez?....Rodriguez. Ah! I think I remember her mother!” Gladston pressed a button on his phone. “Ms. Dell. We have a Sabrina Rodriguez enrolled I believe.”

“Yes.” A female voice responded. “She’s currently in Ms. Applegate’s math class.”

“Great!” Ignacio said. “Me and her mother know each other. We’ve set up an arrangement. We can talk details later but for today she can watch my Izzy.”

“And the mother Rodriguez agrees with this?” Gladston asked.

“Well….we are kind of….seeing each other.” Ignacio revealed.

“Hmmmm. I’ll accept this for today. And only because I can see how eager your daughter is. Not everyday you see a minor interested in higher learning. I will need to talk to both you and Ms. Rodriguez before this can become a permanent thing.”

Izzellah’s heart stopped. Not like this! Not permanently!

“Isn’t that great Izzellah!?” Ignacio beamed. “You get to go to school like normal!”

Izzellah couldn’t find her voice. She’d have to see that horrible giant again!

“She’ll have to attend all of Sabrina’s classes as well as her own minor ones. Are you okay with this Ms. Ivory? Now’s your time to speak up.”

“I-I.” Izzellah didn’t know what to say. She wanted desperately to attend real classes, but…..Sabrina? Could she make that work? She would have to until she figured out how to get out of it. Maybe after a few weeks if she could prove to her papa she’d be fine on her own. The last thing she wanted was to possibly be bonded to that amazonian pest. “Yes….this is what I want more than anything.”

“Well than it’s settled!” Gladston clapped. “Izzellah Ivory let me officially welcome you to Winton Heights Academy!”

 


 

 

Izzellah gave her papa one last hug goodbye.

“You sure you don’t want me to come in with you?” he asked.

Izzellah hesitated. She suddenly felt very nervous and didn’t want him to leave. She was used to being away from him when he worked but this was different. She wasn’t by herself fiddling with the car in their garage or watching tv while she waited for him to come home.

“Would you really do that?” She looked up to him.

“I’d take the whole day off work and sit in on every class if you wanted.”

Izzellah shook her head. She would die of embarrassment at that even if she secretly wished it would happen. No she had to do this herself.

“No I think I can handle this.” She smiled.

“I’ll be waiting for you when school’s over.” Ignacio reassured. “Right by the front door. If anything happens I’ll find you.”

“Thank you, papa.” Izzellah said and gave her papa one last, last hug.

He let her go and walked away making sure to give her one last thumbs up before he left.

With goodbyes over Principal Gladston opened the door to room 302. Ms. Applegate’s math class. Izzellah took a deep breath. It was time.

 

 

Izzellah walked through the door far more meekly than she’d intended. She found herself clinging to Principal Gladston’s leg as the only source of meager familiarity. He at least seemed like a decent enough person. Before her was a forest of legs both metal and flesh that made the student body of this MAJOR class. A sea of titans with eyes she could not see but she somehow knew where upon her. Observing her, judging her, maybe even wanting her. It was in their nature after all, and minors were rare. Very rare.

“Oh look at this!” Izzellah heard in a british accent among numerous murmurs from the class. Voices asking who she was and where she came from, would she be staying, was she lost? Soon enough a square face was in front of her as a large woman leaned down to greet her.

“Ms. Applegate. This is Izzellah Ivory. She’ll be sitting in on your class today.” Gladston announced.

“Really?” Ms. Applegate cupped her cheeks. “Well we’re honored to have you.” She said with a sweetness that betrayed her condescension. Izzellah felt like a baby. “Is she bonded to someone in this class?”

Izzellah heard more murmurs as goliath student questioned and interrogated each other to sniff out who the lucky MAJOR was not knowing that there wasn’t one.

“Well that’s the thing. She’s not bonded.” Gladston informed.

Izzellah wasn’t sure if that was the wise choice. She understood it was probably better in the long run if everything was out in the open but letting a bunch of MAJORS know she basically open for business seemed like throwing a lamb to slaughter. She could only imagine the hungry looks they must have had. As if to make proof the class nearly erupted in conversation so loud she couldn’t even decipher it. Were they already making plans? She’d dare any MAJOR to even try!

“And she won’t be bonded today!” Gladston bellowed. “If I hear anything from about any of you even trying and believe me I’ll know. It’s expulsion! No questions, no appeal, no defense. EXPULSION!”

“Okay.” Ms. Applegate said with what was obviously a forced smile. “I assume you have a solution for this sir.”

“Sabrina Rodriguez. Front and center please.” Gladston requested.

Izzellah heard the stomp of sneakers on tile. She saw a pair of pink Sketchers work their way through the forest of legs. As they came to a stop in front of her she didn’t have to look up to know that annoying smile was on her face.

“I don’t believe this.” She heard in that irritatingly chipper voice. The same voice that said “Oops” as she casually ruined three hours of work.

“Have you been informed of what’s expected of you?” Gladston asked.

‘Yes sir!” she beamed. “My mom said this might happen. I didn’t think it would happen today though.”

“You will bring her to all your classes as well as accompany her to her minor ones.”

“But I have my own classes at that time.” Sabrina cocked and eyebrow.

“Today is a special exception.” Gladston said. “I’ll be hashing out the details of this arrangement with your mother later.”

‘Yes sir!” Sabrina gave a cheeky salute.

“Well I think everything’s settled for now.” Principal Gladston said with a  stroke of his beard. “If you have any questions or problems just have Sabrina bring you by the office. Ms. Ivory.” He then shuffled out the door to do more things that principals do.

Ms. Applegate clapped her hands together. “This is certainly exciting! Ms. Ivory feel free to take your seat with Sabrina.” She ushered both girls towards Sabrina’s desk. Izzellah found herself immediately seized by Sabrina’s hands and lifted upwards. From her new perspective she was made keenly aware of the looks she was getting from the class. Hungry, jealous, stares and glares from boys and girls alike directed squarely at her and Sabrina.

“You don’t need to carry me I can walk.” Izzellah said wanting to get away from all the attention. Seeing these titans was worse than imagining them. All that superior brain power swarming only with thoughts of consuming her on some level. The one thing she knew in this life as an absolute fact was that every MAJOR wanted a minor no matter how nefarious or innocent their intentions. It dawned on her how most of those jealous looks of spite where thrown Sabrina’s way and she seemed absolutely oblivious to it. She might actually feel a little bad for her.

“Nonsense!” Sabrina chirped as she took her seat. “Why would you want to walk ever when I can carry you?”

Izzellah knew this was a real question. This was how MAJORS thought since the dawn of enlightened thinking. For all their superior genes and advancement they couldn’t understand why a minor would want to do something for themselves. At least that’s the theory she held from glancing at numerous wikipedia articles on them.

“Look I’m fine okay.” Izzellah said. “You don’t have to worry about me and do this whole….”thing” you’re doing.”

“Pffft. Yeah okay tough girl.” Sabrina said as she sat Izzellah down in her lap.

“What is this?” Izzellah gasped.

“What you want to sit on the floor?” Sabrina snarked.

Izzellah wished she could have her own desk but knew there was no way she would get one on short notice. She could ask, and in actuality Ms. Applegate would probably come serve as her desk if she wanted. In fact anyone of these MAJORS would hold her up all day if it meant even a chance at a bonding, even if it was just a temporary one. She couldn’t do that though. She didn’t want to be seen as one of those timid helpless little creatures that needed pity like every other minor.

“Just put me on the desk.” Izzellah demanded.

“Are you asking or telling?” Sabrina teased.

“PLEASE!” Izzellah begged. Anything but this. She wouldn’t spend the rest of her year being cradled like a toddler.

Sabrina did as requested and sat Izzellah down on the edge of her desk letting the tiny hang her legs of a drop almost ten feet down.

“Better?”

“Not really!” Izzellah said as she struggled with sudden rush of vertigo.

“Alright class I’m passing back your math exams. A lot of good scores and I know this is just review but I’m proud of you all.” Ms. Applegate said. She laid stacks of papers on the front of each desk and let the students sort them out and pass them around. When Sabrina’s paper got to her Izzellah notice and 89 circled in red in the upper right corner. A good score but nothing special for a MAJOR. Honestly she was probably slacking. Still Izzellah looked over the equations eager to absorb some knowledge.

“You know math?” Sabrina asked with a modicum of interest.

“Of course I know math!” Izzellah said insulted. “Who doesn’t know math?”

“Most minors.” Sabrina said before catching the unintentional insult. “I mean not most-”

“I know what you mean.” Izzellah hissed. It wasn’t expected for a minor to know math or even read for that matter even though they were perfectly capable. They just weren’t expected to. Izzellah always saw that as lazy. Why let a MAJOR solve all your problems for you? Fortunately trends were changing. Her primary school actually taught math as part of the minor curriculum and reading and writing too! It wasn’t uncommon for a minor to be educated, just unexpected and unrequired to be successful in life.

“I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.” Sabrina corrected. “You were fixing a car when we first met. I didn’t think a minor could fix anything.”

“Well you’re wrong.” Izzellah huffed.

“You should totally let me drive you around when you get it running.”

“What?! No way!” Izzellah denied.

“I already have my license!” Sabrina said. “It would be awesome. We’d both win. I could take you to so many places. We could go to theme parks in the summer.”

“How old are you actually?” Izzellah asked. How could she be old enough to drive? Age was tricky with MAJORS. At a certain point the ageing process just seemed to stop, then rocket straight into adulthood before crawling at a snail’s pace to elderly. Old looking MAJORS were often over one hundred, but Sabrina barely seemed like she’d even hit puberty.

“Thirteen.” Sabrina said. “And I know. I should have gotten my license like three years ago. My mom’s a pain in the ass.”

Thirteen! For fucks sake! Izzellah was already seventeen and her father was only now vaguely considering letting her try and take the test to get a license. And that wouldn’t happen until after she fixed the Mustang! Here this girl was complaining about not having a license at ten?! Did MAJORS really live this way?!

“Come on! It’ll be fun! After we’re bonded we can-”

“We’re not getting bonded kid.” Izzellah spat. “Not even if it’s just till graduation. That’s never happening.”

“I know you think that now.” Sabrina smirked. “And it’s really cute, but trust me “kid” you’re gonna want it once you get to know me.”

“Wow you’re really full of yourself.” Izzellah shot.

“Then I guess we’re a match!” Sabrina returned.

And then the bell rang!

“Alright class! See you in fifth period!” Ms. Applegate sang cheerfully.

It was over. Izzellah’s first MAJOR class ever was over and she hadn’t learned anything. Well except how arrogant these MAJORS were. She had been caught off guard by all the newness. She wouldn’t make that mistake in the next class. She found herself lifted by Sabrina again.

“You’re just going to carry me around all day aren’t you.”

“Probably.” the MAJOR teen responded.

“Probably not!” Izzellah snapped as she fought the MAJOR’s grip.

“You’ll have to better than that then.” Sabrina giggled as they went to her next class.

 


 

 

Sabrina’s next class was music to Izzellah’s ire. Of course Sabrina would opt for an elective with no academic merit right? Izzellah almost thought it was just to spite her even though Sabrina was a veteran student and Izzellah was in fact the new kid. She sat in a corner fiddling with a ukulele the only thing small enough for her to play. It was still the size of a large guitar in her hands. Sabrina for her part was putting concentrated effort into playing the violin, and she even had the nerve to be good at it! Music was a skill even to a MAJOR it was something that took time and dedication. In this world it was one of the few equal playing fields both MAJORS and minors had to share. In fact it was often the minor that was superior in that regard. Why not learn to play an instrument with all that free time? Of course if a MAJOR put enough time into anything it was inevitable they became competent at it, but Sabrina was on another level. It was clear that this girl practiced and had talent. Izzellah could respect that. It was an art the MAJOR girl must have spent years cultivating, something she actually worked for. Izzellah could even admire that, if Sabrina weren’t supremely annoying.

She finished her set and stood up to approach Izzy. Every MAJOR in this small class of about half a dozen watched this with morbid curiosity. Sabrina knelt down next to her.

“I can teach you to play if you want.” She offered. “I don’t really know the ukulele but string instruments are very similar.” She brandished her violin. This is a G chord. She strummed it and the vibrating string released a low, grounded sound. She then took her bow and played the same note and that low sound stretched on in a long note. It sounded like a growl but smooth. “Try.”

Izzellah clumsily strummed to same string on her instrument. The sound was higher but of course it was, she was using a ukulele.

“You can come over to my house. We can play together.” Sabrina tried.

“Izzellah had to admit that actually sounded like a nice time, but that would imply something else as well. She didn’t want to spend time with this girl, get familiar with her.

“Music’s not really my thing.” Izzellah said.

Sabrina narrowed her eyes at this then shrugged. “Whatever you say squirt.” she sat down next to her cross legged and went about playing some more. Izzellah let the music serenade her. It was pleasant and peaceful. A slow melody that was almost a lullaby. Sabrina started to hum and Izzellah was reminded of her mother. Those lazy summer days on the swing. She yawned and closed her eyes. She felt her head nod and she leaned into something firm yet soft.

 


 

 

“Wake up, sleepyhead!” Sabrina chirped.

Izzellah snorted and snapped her eyes open. What happened? Had she actually dozed off in the middle of class?

“Wow. You were really out huh?” Sabrina grinned.

Izzellah took stock of her surroundings. She was in Sabrina’s arms being cradled in a princess carry. They were moving.

:What happened?” Izzellah asked.

“You fell asleep duh?” Sabrina laughed. “Don’t worry you’re not in trouble. It’s natural for minors to get tired during the day.”

“I’m not a baby! I can stay awake!” Izzellah insisted even if it was true. MAJORS ran on a different schedule. The days were literally longer now and a MAJOR hour was different from a minor one. Still Izzellah was embarrassed.

“Put me down! I know how to walk!” Izzellah barked.

“Whoa! No need to get all defensive sheesh. You don’t have to apologize for your biology. No one’s judging you. I don’t care if you nap all day. It makes my job easier.”

“I wasn’t apologizing! I’m not going to sleep all day! And I can fucking walk by myself!” Izzellah shrieked. “Put me down!”

“Okay, but we’re already here.” Sabrina said.

“Here where?” Izzellah surrounded by MAJORS all sitting and eating in a lunchroom cafeteria. Most staring at the new minor.

“Lunch bitch! Woo!” Sabrina howled. “My favorite part of the day!” She let Izzellah down to sit on the bench next her. Of course the table was actually too high for Izzellah to reach.

“You can sit on my la-”

“No!” Izzellah cut off. “I’m fine here. She extended her legs onto the bench and leaned back into Sabrina’s side. She then searched her pack for a brown bag that held her day’s lunch that she’d prepared for herself. Her papa couldn’t be trusted to do more than boil water in the kitchen. If it were up to him she’d be obese from his poor diet. The man would just munch on pizza and Cinnabons if it weren’t for her. MAJORS never really gained weight. Even fat ones weren’t fat by traditional means. An obese MAJOR was something you had to work to get. Plus he worked out which meant he could eat nothing but ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and not gain a pound. Izzellah on the contrary had to watch her figure and took pride in her trim physique. It wasn’t the vogue. Plumpness was a positive trait for a minor. MAJORS really liked something soft to cuddle. Too bad for them! That wasn’t Izzellah’s mom and that wouldn’t  be her! She retrieved a small cucumber sandwich and took a bite.

“Holy shit!” She heard from above. A redhead girl with short hair and freckles loomed above her. She took a sit on the next to her and Izzellah recoiled further into Sabrina’s side.

“You have a minor now too!?” This new girl exclaimed.

“Pretty cool right?” Sabrina boasted.

“She does not!” Izzellah bellowed. “I belong to no one but myself!”

“She’s not bonded either!?” This new redhead suddenly stared at her like a starving wolf. “You gotta be kidding me?”

“It’s true actually.” Sabrina said a bit dour at Izzellah’s immediate denial.

Izzellah found her hands taken in this new girls stronger, larger, paler ones. “Bond with me!” She insisted. “Just for a minute! See if you like it! I’m fun! I like fighting and sports and-”

Izzellah snatched her hands back.

“Jesus, Mabel! At least buy her dinner first!” Sabrina commented.

Izzellah was lifted and placed on the table. She would be peeved by Sabrina seeing fit to just paw her whenever she wanted but she was actually grateful to be away from this “Mabel”.

“What?!” Mabel defended. “There’s an unclaimed minor right in front of me! I have to take my shot. She can choose whoever she wants.”

“That won’t be you.” Izzellah seethed. She took another bite of her cucumber sandwich.

“What?! Come on! I’m nice!” she insisted. “It’s totally not fair that I’m the only one without a tiny!”

Izzellah flinched at being called a “tiny”.

“And if you bonded with her I’d be the only one without a minor. That’s fair?” Sabrina argued.

“It’s not the same.” Mabel clarified. “Everyone knows you’ll find one supergirl.”

“Huh?” Izzellah gulped down a piece of sandwich and eyed Sabrina with curiosity. “What’s she talking about?”

“Nothing!” Sabrina insisted. “Mabel’s just a jealous bitch.”

“Every available minor what’s a piece of Sabrina the hero!” Mabel went on. “I don’t know why. I’m fun and energetic! What just because she can play the violin!? I know actual martial arts! I can protect you better than she can. Just because she saved a few minors once like years ago she’s hot shit. Sabrina Rodriguez is nothing special.”

“Saved?”

“It’s nothing really.” Sabrina blushed with a strained smile. “Shut up Mabel!”

“Sabrina Rodriguez is nothing special!” Mabel shouted to the cafeteria crowd.

“Mabel!”

“Just don’t get all squishy with her like Riri. I’m abandoning this friendship if I have to deal with two of you!”

“Did you really save some minors?” Izzellah asked.

“It’s nothing really.” Sabrina defended modestly. “I just stopped a car from crashing into a bus that had some minor orphans in it. Literally everyone was trying to do the same thing. I just got there first.”

“And now every available minor here wants her!” Mabel whined.

“That’s like three people tops!” Sabrina shot. “And one of them is Izzy here and she actually hates me!”

“Well good.” Mabel huffed.

“I’m not “squishy” with Peter.”

All three girls turned to see a tall black girl with braids standing behind them. To Izzellah’s complete bafflement there was also a minor boy hanging off her hip. He was thin and kind of frail looking with blond hair and deep blue eyes.

“How much of that did you hear.” Mabel whimpered.

“All of it.” This new girl Izzellah guessed was Riri said. “What we have is nice but it’s temporary.”

“Oh please!” Mabel spewed. “Just admit he’s your boyfriend already. That way you can get married and start pushing out minor babies. Then maybe I’ll get one before I’m 30!”

The braided girl still sat down even though she was clearly insulted. Sabrina was intrigued by the minor. She’d never interacted with her own kind beyond her mother. This could be a good learning opportunity.

“So you really have a minor, Sabrina?” Riri prodded.

“No she’s not “mine”. I guess she’s like…..a family friend? What do you call it when  both your parents are banging behind your back?”

Izzellah laughed and then caught herself but it was too late. Sabrina flashed her a knowing smile.

“Aw gross!” Mabel fake vomited.

Riri set her minor down on the table. This “Peter” as it were. He seemed almost frightened.

“Go ahead Peter.” Riri encouraged. “I’m right here.”

The minor boy shuffled closer to Izzellah. He was actually just a fraction shorter than she was.

“H-hello.” He waved.

“Hi.” Izzellah replied evenly.

“I’m Peter.” he introduced. “Peter Silver.”

“I heard.” Izzellah offered her hand. “Izzellah Ivory.”

Peter took in in a limp handshake. Then in a flash he hugged her tightly.

“You’re real!” He smiled brightly.

“Afraid so.” Izzellah smiled back. And there it was. Izzellah felt it. He was a minor. Regardless of what she thought of him personally she would now have his back for life. Even if she came to hate him they were both here and alive. They would need each other to survive.

“You can let go now, Pete.” She said.

“S-sorry!” Peter stepped back. “It’s just hard to believe. Are you really not bonded?”

“Nope.” Izzellah assured.

“Not even to your mom or dad?”

She shook her head. “I was bonded to my papa when I was younger but it’s been years now.”

“Why not?” Peter asked. “Bonding’s amazing. We need it.”

“That’s a lie Peter. It’s what MAJORS want you to believe. THEY need it. We don’t”

Mabel laughed at this. “Is that what you think!? Listen tiny. Maybe it’s been awhile and you’ve forgotten what paradise feels like or maybe you’re papa babied and half assed his bonding I don’t know, but when you get yours you’ll be begging a MAJOR for it on your knees everyday!”

Izzellah’s mood soured instantly. She didn’t care for Mabel or these MAJORS at all. She was done here.

“I’m leaving.” Izzellah said.

“What?!” Sabrina started.

“I’m going to finish my lunch by myself. I don’t need this bullshit.” Izzellah jumped from the table down to the bench then again to the floor in a nimble display of adept mobility. “Don’t follow me or I’ll report you to Gladston.” l

“Sabrina you can’t let her do that!” Riri insisted.

“She can’t stop me!” Izzellah stated.

Sabrina sighed. “Let her go. It’s fine. She can get basically anyone expelled by crying to Gladston if they mess with her today.”

“And Mabel.” Izzellah addressed the redhead.

“Yes tiny.” she smiled down to her.

“Mention my papa again and I’m cutting one of your achilles tendons.”

Mabel was silent at the threat unsure of whether to take it seriously or not. Izzellah didn’t care she took her backpack and her cucumber sandwich and went on her way.

Izzellah heard a smack. “You’d just can’t stop running your mouth can you!?” She heard from Sabrina.

“What did I do?” Mabel grumbled.

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

This chapter was gettin a little long as I was writing so I split it in half, which mean yes more MAJOR/minor coming soon. Don't get used to it. Who knows when I'll update after that?! Mario Oddysee's coming out in a few weeks and I'll be super distracted playing the shit out of that. Like literally everyone who owns a Switch will be!...........NIntendo give me free stuff!

Until then enjoy agonizing over what he hell a bond is!