- Text Size +

An hour passed as Mya explained her theories on hg32 and the information she had gathered about his body.  They threw ideas back and forth as Mya straightened out the lab table and swept up the broken glass still on the floor.  She would momentarily stop to write in her notebook, which still worried Jason, though he said nothing about it.  

Finally, they heard the tell tale signs of Emily pulling into the driveway and coming in the front door. 

  "Well, I guess this is it. . ." Mya said as she gathered up her stack of papers and offered her palm to Jason.  

"I can't talk you out of giving those notes to Emily?"  Jason tried one last time. 

"No.  It's something I have to do.  It's nothing personal." She said, not looking him in the eye as she began walking back up the stairs.

  She opened the basement door,  and the sound of voices hit them.  Mya responded instantly, slipping Jason into her pocket as she stepped out of the basement and saw Emily and a friend talking near the front door.

   As she walked up and smiled, greeting them, she looked the girl over.  Mya felt like she should know her but couldn't put a name with the face.   The girl only glared at her.

"Ok, here are all my notes Emily.  Everything you need to know." Mya said, handing her the small stack.  

"Jeez, what did you write a book on it?"  She said laughing. 

  "Well you never can be too thorough.  Mya replied smiling.  

"Umm. . . .we have a test to study for tomorrow in McKnowen's class, so if you just want to tell Kylie goodbye before you go, I think she would like that. "  Emily said, her meaning clear.  

"Uh, yeah.  I'll do that."  Mya, said walking up the stairs.  

"What was all that about?" Emily's friend inquired.  

"It's nothing.  She's just helping me with a "little project" I have going. " she said, looking at the stack of papers. 

"Whatever you say Em.  I say she's bad news. She thinks she's so much better than everyone else. "  

"It's just a mutual deal! Shut up about it."  Emily snapped as Mya came walking back down.  

"Alright, that should do it."  Mya said as she reached the bottom step.  "I'll see you around Emily, good luck."

With that, she nodded and smiled at Emily's friend and walked out the door. 

"Alright Courtney, let's get started, my dad will kill me if I get another C on a test.   She said as she walked around the corner to the dining room.   3 hours later, they finally finished.

"Ok, I think I'm ready." Emily said confidently, closing her textbook.   "Yeah, you have a pretty good grip on it, you should have no problem acing it!" Courtney replied, putting her own book into her backpack.  

"Hey Em?"  She asked suddenly.  "Yeah?" "Can you uhh. . .get me something to drink for the road.  It's kind of a long drive home."  She said, not wanting to seem needy. 

"Ugh, what do you want!?" Emily sighed as she started walking towards the kitchen. 

  "I'll take a can of coke if you have it!" Courtney called after her.

Courtney peeked around the corner, making sure Emily was busy before she hurried to the stack of papers Mya had given Emily.  She hesitated for a moment, hearing Emily walking back towards her, before she grabbed a single page, and quickly stuffed it in her backpack.  She finished just as Emily came back into the dining room. 

"There you go."  Emily said, handing over the can. 

  "Thanks emily, you're the best!" Courtney said, hugging her.

  "Im taking off, good luck tomorrow!" She said as she hurried to the door and left. 

Emily sighed, picking up the stack of papers and headed up to her room.   She heard Kylie rummaging through a drawer in her room, but decided to leave her siblings be as she walked past the door.  She stepped into her room and closed the door. Emily  set her backpack in the corner and carried Mya's notes to her bed.  She put on her headphones and leaned back against her pillows.  From there, she began to read. 

  "[Hg32]? " Emily said to herself.  

"Understanding hg32"

Mya had done her best to make her concepts understandable to someone who wasn't scientifically inclined.   Emily skimmed through the information, pausing and rereading when something caught her eye.   After a half hour of sifting through formula info, she finally reached the part where the Jason break down was.  

She skipped the mini profiles of herself, Jason and Kylie and began to read about scale comparisons, Getting to terms with how much pressure she was actually putting on Jason when she decided to stomp on him.  

Mya had made the easy to understand anology of Jason getting hit by a fully loaded semi-truck at 50-70 mph.  

"Holy shit" she said under her breath. 

She continued through the many different scenarios Mya had spelled out, some giving her new ideas to torment Jason.   She thought about getting him from Kylie, but decided against it as she continued to read about the effects that a double sole foot smother would have on Jason's consciousness.  She unconsciously ground her feet into the mattress as she thought about what trapping Jason under her wide soles would be like, overheating his tiny body as she pressed and mashed his little face with her plump toes. 

  "Fuck!" She said to herself as she squirmed on her bed.  "That would be so fucking hot."

Getting into it, she read on, turning to the next page.  She paused for a moment, confused as she shuffled through the pages. 

  "Wtf Mya!"  She said, annoyed as she looked at the order of the pages.

  The next page of comparisons was missing, and the breakdown of the house began instead.   She stood up and searched the floor around her bed.  She looked in her backpack before walking back to the dining room.  She saw nothing.  

"What the hell"  she whined, stomping her socked foot.

  She thought for a moment, before checking the basement, though she found nothing. 

Emily returned to her room, and began to pick through the next bit of information.  Possible hiding places and escape options.  Her mind was blown away by Mya's ideas and creativity when it came to ways she thought Jason could escape or hide.  It was incredible to process.   She imagined the vividly explained routes that Mya was able to craft, just by looking at a room.  As she layed in her bed, she dozed off thinking about it. 

The digital display read [2:03]. 

Jason kept a close eye on his watch as he sat in the dark, patiently waiting.  He was sure both Kylie and  Emily were fast asleep by this time. 

[2:04]  

Jason stood and walked to the base of the closet, hoping that his plan wouldn't fail this time.  He glanced to the window, the curtains blew in the wind from where it stood open. 

  [2:05]  

Jason took a deep breath, and prayed to whatever God might still be watching over him.   He hesitated for a moment, before he let out a long, low whistle, followed by a short higher pitched tone.

The room was silent.

"Fuck!" Jason said, putting his head down.  "This was a stupid idea!"

Just then, the closet door slid open, a flashlight beam searching the walls and floor, before it settled on Jason.  

"HO-ly shit Batman!" A familiar voice cut through the silence.  

Jason couldn't help grinning as his best friend Clyde stepped out of Jason's bedroom closet.