- Text Size +

Kylie, Jason's bratty 11 year old sister.  Tall (for her age) brunette, smart, devious and bossy. 

Jason Scrambled to his feet, his hands dirty from the dusty linoleum.  He tucked into the corner of the bathroom between the sink and the wall of the hallway.  He waited in darkness.  

   Kylie dropped her schoolbag off to the side, and closed the door, locking it behind her.  She kicked her flip flops off, letting them fall haphazardly on the welcome mat and with that, she headed to to kitchen to get something to eat.  

    Jason crouched against the wall, checking his watch.  3:35.  If he had been paying attention, he would have known this was coming, as she came home from school at the same time everyday.  For the first time it dawned on him. . . . His clothes had shrunk with him.  

    He  jumped as the floor began to shake, signaling his giantess sister was on the move.  To Jason, even at normal size Kylie's trademark stomp was at least obnoxious.  At this size and proximity, she rattled his bones every time her bare feet pounded the floor.  

    Jason peeked around the corner, just as Kylie passed the bathroom door.  His breath stuck in his chest.  There she was, standing 80 feet tall, his little sister.  He was unable to look away as she moved towards the kitchen.    

  She wore her standard plaid blouse and pink Capri pants. Above, her straightened shoulder length hair and red framed oversized "nerd" glasses. Below, her bare feet with chipped red polish.  He fixated on her feet as she stomped by, every step leaving mashed fibers in the carpet.       

   Just as suddenly as she appeared, she was gone.  Jason heard her in the distance rummaging through the cabinets, fixing herself an after school snack.    

  "Fuck. . . Ok" Jason whispered to himself.  He took a few deep breaths.  He would have to act fast.  Not knowing what Kylie was making to eat was a variable he couldn't predict, and it was only a matter of time before she came back down the hallway.      

     He exited the bathroom doorway, hugging the wall on the right side, checking behind him every few steps.  His next destination was the side table that held a cordless house phone, and antique lamp.  He began to jog, anxious to make it to some sort of cover.  

   Behind him, he heard the jingle of cereal being poured into a glass bowl, followed by the suction of the fridge door being opened.  That gave him a rough idea of the time frame he was working with.  

      Kylie always alternated between eating cereal and watching tv in the den, or making a peanut butter and jelly, and taking it up to her bedroom on the second floor.    

  Jason made it to the table, hiding behind the leg closest the wall.  He watched the end of the hallway for a moment, catching his breath, before sprinting back to the left side of the hallway and into the next open room. 

     Kylie finished making her bowl of cereal, and after cleaning her mess, she headed back down the hallway towards the den where the tv was located.       Jason was safely hidden in the next room, the family exercise room, when the floor tremors began again, although this time more lightly, as she concentrated on not spilling milk on the floor.  He waited out the storm, and entered back into the hallway.  

  With the exercise room being the last room in the hallway, all he had to do was make it to the end of the wall and turn the corner to get to the bottom of the stairs. 10 minutes later he reached them.  

 Jason inspected the stairs, snaking their way up, up, up to the second story.  Unlike the basement steps, which were a straight shot to the top, this staircase went up do 6 steps before turning 90 degrees and continuing up.  He also noticed that these stairs had carpet on them.  Instead of a square edge to grab, these had rounded edges, a fact that could prove troublesome.   

  Jason took a few steps back, preparing for a kick jump.  He jogged in kicking off the face of the step.  He easily elevated but was caught off guard by the smoothness of the carpet and the rounded edge.

    He landed on his stomach, but immediately began sliding back down.  He clawed awkwardly that carpet, but failed to get a hand hold.  He slid back, before falling the 8 feet and landing hard on his back. Knocking the wind out of him.  He lay there for a moment, just staring up at the ceiling. 

   Jason sighed, climbing to his feet and walking up to the step.  He placed his hand on the soft, carpet of the step.  "Damn" he said, disheartened.  There was no way he would be able to climb all the steps, they were just too slippery.        

Although the same technique didn't work this time, he wasn't out of ideas just yet. Jason moved to his right to where the stairs met the wall.  There was his way up.   There was an inch wide ledge that ran the length of the stairs, matching them diagonally,  forming triangles between the steps.  It effectively formed a ramp all the way to the top.   

 Jason knew there wasn't much time to waste.  With his back against the wall, he began to shimmy up the narrow, steep incline.  The silver lining was that, if he fell, he would just step forward on to the stair in front of him.    

   He  thought to himself that he was making ok progress, having passed 3 steps over the last 10 minutes and his confidence building, when as per the usual it seemed, out of nowhere, the thundering of the floor began again.        Jason quickly jumped from the ledge, and tucked himself into the far corner of the step, where the stairs met with the wall.  From his vantage point, being only 4 steps high, he was thigh height with his massive sister as she stomped out of the den and back down the hallway to the kitchen.      

He  stayed perfectly still, afraid that the slightest movement might catch her eye.  She passed without incident, but Jason knew he had to get a move on. . .Now.   He thought for a moment and hatched a plan.  A combination of his two climbing techniques.      

  Jason climbed out of the corner and quickly made enough space to pick up some speed.  He ran at the wall, kicking off with his right foot.  He elevated to the highest point of the triangle, right where the next step met the wall.  Squeezing the ledge, he hung for a moment,  before pulling himself up using the ledge and the stair. 

   After 3 minutes he made it to the first landing.  He paused to rest, but it was short lived.  To his horror, he heard Kylie flip the kitchen light switch and begin to head down the hallway towards the front door. 

    "Shit!" He said, sprinting across the landing to his left.  He looked down to see Kylie come into view. She walked casually, humming to herself, her head down.  Jason had jumped the first step by the time she made it to her backpack.     

   She knelt down, unzipping it, and began to pull her books out, stacking them with a slap as the covers hit.  When she finished getting her books, Jason had cleared another 2.  He was in a mad dash to get to the top.  If he was caught on the steps, there would be no hiding, his red t-shirt was to stark of a contrast to go unnoticed.    

  She zipped her pack back up, and hung it on a nearby hook. . . . One more step down. .  . Jason was moving double time.  By the time she had turned around and her foot hit the first step, he had only 2 steps to go.   

    Jason flinched as his gargantuan sister began to pummel the stairs below him as only she could. He knew he couldn't panic, he had maybe 3 seconds left to make a move.    

    Kylie had reached the first land, just as Jason reach the the last step.  It was going to be a photo finish as Jason could see his bedroom door in the distance, the first one on the right.  He didn't dare look back as her heavy footfalls came ever closer.  He peaked the top step and began to run for his room,  expecting her to be right on top of him within a second.  . . . But she wasn't.      

 Jason stole a glance over his shoulder, and there she was, just standing on the second to last step.  He could only see his sister's massive torso from his vantage point.  He HAD to know what she was doing doing.  He slowed for a moment, now within 30 yards of his bedroom door. He turned around and began to back pedal as his eyes travelled up, up, up her giant body.   

   As his eyes met hers his heart nearly stopped beating. . . . . .his eyes met hers! She was staring right at him now, her jaw hanging slack in disbelief.   He lost concentration and tripping, falling over backwards and landing softly on his back.      

 "Oh fuck! Oh fuck!" He panicked hard.  His mind went into overload.  Kylie snapped out of her shrunken brother induced stupor, squinting her eyes, and taking the final step on to the landing.  At this point, Jason was frozen in fear, sprawled out on the carpet.  

   Kylie took a cautious step toward him, driven partly by fear, and partly by curiosity.  She clutched her books tightly to her chest.  Jason remained still, hoping that her vision was motion sensitive like a trex or something.  She began to crouch,  now within 2 steps of him. As her eyes focused, a look of shock and bewilderment on her face as she recognized her tiny brother, her young mind not able to fathom this reality.   

  "J-jason?" She stammered, fully crouched now. "Is. . Is that yo-"  she was cut off as suddenly Emily's door burst open.  Jason saw his opening, as Kylie's head snapped up to the open door.  As she looked away, he scrambled to his feet, and ducked into his dark room through the cracked door.     

 Emily casually walked out of her room, stretching her long arms when she noticed her little sister squatting by their brothers door.  "Wh-What are you doing?" She asked, a look of mild confusion on her face .

     "It. . .it was Jason!" She began. "Only he was. . Was."  "Don't even get me started on that little idiot!" Emily interrupted.  "He was in the basement and totally trashed dad's lab!"  She finished, clearly irritated just thinking about it.  "He's always wrecking everything, but dad let's him get away with it because their both geeks!" She stomped her foot as she spoke.    

     "Yeah I know"  Kylie replied, still a little dazed.  "Well don't worry about it.  Mom and dad are gone for the week, so there is no one here to protect him!  When I see him, that little freaks gonna get it!"  With that, she turned and walked towards the bathroom, closing the door behind her.    

  Kylie was left standing in the hallway alone.  She stood up, staring at Jason's door for a long moment.  She raised her hand, considering opening it,  but decided against it as she heard the toilet flush and the sink running.

         She quickly opened her bedroom door, the first one on the left and went inside.  The door closed with a quiet click.