- Text Size +

 Emily returned 10 minutes later.  She gave Jason a look of disgust as she brushed him off her seat and on to the floor.      

 

      "Are you still crying about me sitting on you? She asked, uncaring as she started the car.    

 

 Jason said nothing, knowing better.  After a long afternoon of being pushed around, but for the most part unharmed, finally they returned home.  They unloaded the groceries and other supplies for the rest of the week, before Emily took Jason into her room.    

 

   "Alright, I'm leaving for my volleyball game.  Rachel will be here in 10."  

 

   A look of worry flashed on Jason's face.     

 

  "Don't worry, Gracie's not with her, she had a dance recital or something " Emily said laughing.     

 

 Jason was a little relieved, but there was still question of what Emily was going to do with him while she was gone.  

 

   "I can see on your tiny face that you want to know what's going to happen to you" she said, breaking the tension.    

 

   "Well I'm leaving you with Kylie.  But just so you know, she has my permission to beat you within an inch of your life, if you step out of line. "  she said as she loaded her duffle bag.      

 

"She told me what you said in my car.  She said she sat on you, but that is nothing compared to what youre going to get when I get back.  Just a fair warning. . . She's mine. And she knows what will happen to her if she decides to help you."       

 

With that, she grabbed him by his shirt, and picked up her duffle bag.  She walked down the hallway and knocked on Kylie's door.  A second later it swung open.    

 

  "Ok Kylie, take good care of him, and do what Rachel tells you. " she said, dropping Jason into her sister's waiting hands.  

 

    Emily continued down the stairs, just as the doorbell rang.  She set her duffle bag down and opened the door, greeting Rachel.   They stood for a long time in the doorway, as Emily both told and bent the truth.  When she was satisfied with the information she had allowed Rachel, she passed her and went on her way.     

 

Rachel stood at the bottom of the stairs for a moment, digesting all the information before she called for Kylie to come downstairs.   Kylie walked into the den, to see Rachel standing in the center of the room with her hair in her hands.  She had a stressed look on her face.     

 

"Kylie, I. . . .I need to see him" Rachel said calmly.      

 

Kylie said nothing, but her look was defensive.      

 

"Kylie! I'm serious!" She said, raising her voice and stepping up to Kylie. 

 

Although she had 5 years and 20 pounds on Kylie, they were eye to eye.  She stuck her hand out expectantly.  Kylie thought about fighting the older girl, but they had wrestled before and Rachel had always been victorious. 

 

Begrudgingly, she reached into her back pocket, and pulled Jason out like an old handkerchief.  She gave him a hard look, before placing him in Rachel's waiting hand.      

 

"Holy shit!" Rachel breathed as Jason was put into her hand.    

 

  Kylie stood by, watching closely.    

 

 "Go. . . Go back to your room Kylie. " she said quietly, never taking her eyes off of him.    

 

  "But I wanted to play with him! Emily said I could!" She whined.   

 

 "GO!" Rachel shouted.      

 

Kylie jumped, before running upstairs.  Rachel walked slowly to the couch and sat down.  She set Jason gently on the table and just stared at him.  

 

    "Jason I . . . " she began.       "I know, Rachel.  I know." Jason said, trying to comfort her.

 

There was a moment of silence.      

 

   "I just. . . .cant believe Gracie was telling the truth!  When we left. . . She just kept going on and on about you. . . .I thought it was just a game they were playing."     

 

"I know.  It's really hard to believe."     

 

  "Did she really?. ..step. . on you?" Rachel asked in disbelief.    

 

 "Ye-yeah." Jason answered, lowering his head.    

 

  "And you aren't. . . .like. . .a pancake right now?    

 

 "It's a long story that I have told too many times. " he said flatly.    

 

  "I just want you to know, I'm gonna totally kick her ass when I get home.  She had no right!" Rachel said passionately     

 

" I appreciate it."     

 

There was another moment of silence.     

 

"So. . . Is Emily taking care of you or. . ."    

 

"Ha, I guess you could say that" Jason laughed.      

 

Rachel knew about their rocky relationship, having bared witness to it countless times, with Jason usually on the receiving end, but she also would've thought that given the circumstances, they could put their differences aside.      

 

    "And your parents?  They aren't rushing home?     Jason was silent, his heart torn.  One the one hand, he could be rescued right now, on the other hand, if Emily had her hooks in Rachel, he couldn't reveal his plan for fear of Emily taking his phone and completely crushing his chances.      

 

"I mean. . . Emily said they knew about it. "     

 

"They. .. .they know?" Jason questioned, eyes wide.    

 

  "At least that's what she told me.  That they knew but that she told them you were fine and not to rush home.  Something about how big this deal they were working on was. "          

 

Jason's heart sank.      

 

" I. . . I dont know what to do."  He said finally.      

 

 "Well do you want to call them?  Rachel offered.  She rubbed Jason's back with her finger tip.   

 

 "I really do but. . . ."   

 

"It's Emily isn't it?" Rachel asked knowingly.    

 

 "Yeah.  If I don't play it right, I could be stuck here with her. . . .pissed off. . . For days.    There might not be anything left of me by the time they get here."         

 

 "And if I help you?"      

 

 " I don't know if Emily would go so far as to beat you up, but I know for sure she would make your life at school hell."   

 

 Another moment of silence.      

 

"Damn" Rachel said finally. 

 

 "She. . . .she really has you doesn't she?"     

 

  "It looks that way.  I think my only hope is try to escape on my own.  If I make a move while you are here, she'll know you helped me.  It needs to seem like I worked alone. "       

 

Rachel stared at Jason , just admiring him in front of her.      

 

"When did you get so smart? I mean. . . You're thinking so many steps in advance it's kind of crazy!" She complimented, leaning back against the couch.      

 

"I really don't know.  It just sort of happened I guess." He replied modestly. 

 

  Another moment of silence. 

 

   "Jason?"   

 

 "Yeah Rachel?"   

 

 "Can I hold you?" Rachel asked, her cheeks flashing embarrassment.   

 

"I'd like that" he answered smiling.     

 

It was a nice change of pace to being crammed into a fist.  She cupped him gently and brought him to her face, but immediately scrunched her nose.

 

  "What?" Jason asked   

 

  "You smell like. . . . Like ass honestly!"  She said holding him away from her face and laughed.  

 

   "It's not my fault! Emily sat on me!"   

 

  "She what!?" Rachel said, the smile gone from her face.    

 

 "Yeah, she uhh.-  

 

 "She could have killed you Jason!" She yelled, furious.    

 

  "It's alright, Rachel!" He tried to calm her down, but the fiery red head wasn't having it.    

 

   "No it's really not Jason! It's bullshit!  She thinks just because she's big, she can do whatever she wants!" She screamed.    

 

 "Please Rachel, just calm down." He stressed.  "I can handle this!. .  I. .  I can take it. "     

 

"Open your eyes Jason! Am I just supposed to. . . Supposed to stand by while that bitch and Kylie stomp all over you?!  I don't want to have to clean up your pieces! "   

 

  "Please. . . Please just promise me you won't get involved until I tell you to. " Jason begged.    "I DO need your help, I do. But I don't want to see you taken down in the process.   Emily may not be able to crush you physically, but I know she will find a way to destroy you somehow."   

 

 She was quiet for a moment, just studying the little man in her hand. 

 

   "Ok. . . But if she goes too far, I'm kicking her ass!" She said, cracking a smile.      

 

Jason managed to smile back.    

 

 "Can I at least get you cleaned up?  Knowing you smell like Emily's butt is disgusting!" She said laughing.    

 

  "Ok."