- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sizes:
Humans: 1 mm (0.04 in); Forest Fairies: ~30 cm (~12 in)
The fairies are around 300x as large as humans. This means the fairies look around 1700 ft to the humans and the humans look around 0.5 cm (< 1/4 in) to the fairies (Assuming my math skills are correct).

-----

Encounter: Forest Fairy x2

Demeanor: Playfully Cruel

Humans were a powerful race. Humans were blessed by the gods. Humans were beings capable of making a difference in the world.

Those were the themes of the stories passed down for generations upon generations of humans in the Shared Realm. Human children were told of legendary heroes who ventured off into the vast world to protect their kingdom, rescue a princess, or defeat a powerful monster. These tales inspired many members of mankind into believing they could change their status amongst the many different races living in the Shared Realm.

With sword in hand and blood, sweat, and tears, humanity eventually gained the power of magic. Through magic, humans made living easier. They could hunt more easily, gather food more easily, and be better equipped to protect themselves against the dangers lurking all around them. But even then, the Shared Realm was not a kind place for humans. Even the grand human kingdom of Rasparten had survived only through sheer luck.

Humans were an insignificant race after all. 

Smash!

“Ahahahahaha! Look at them run! Where are they even heading? Their city isn’t even three steps away!”

Crush!

“Whoops. Your archers are done for. That’s what you get for taking so long to flee. Come on now. You should know better. Wandering into the tall grass is dangerous. You never know what monsters might appear… Like us…”

Venturing even a day’s walk from Rasparten was dangerous for adventurous humans. The tall grass dwarfed even their highest watch towers and surrounded their kingdom like a mighty forest. The race of beings as small as an elvish millimeter had only survived as long as it had because none of the other much larger races had taken notice of them. Unfortunately for the party of heroes hoping to journey into the unknown, they had been spotted traveling through the grass by a pair of forest fairies just a day after they had left their home. Their party of six had already lost two from the first, initial strike.

“Get back you monsters, or have a taste of my sword!”

“Wait! We need to recover. They got Leo and Stein with their last stomp!”

“Damnit! To think it would end like this! Fall back, you idiot! We’ll regroup and launch a counterattack!”

Though fairies were not a fairly large species, being just bigger than a young elf’s foot, the red winged and blue winged fairies were almost 300 times larger than the small human warriors. They could only hear unintelligible squeaks coming from the flightless bugs by their feet.

“Hey, Red. Don’t you think these humans are getting cocky?” asked the blue fairy. She landed on the grass with a strong impact, pushing several tall green blades down with her bare feet. The miniscule party found themselves knocked to the ground as a mighty earthquake fell the towering green structures around them and kicked up a sandstorm of dust and dirt that was unnoticeable to the blue fairy that was paying more attention to her friend.

“What do you mean by that, Blue?” the spunky red fairy tilted her head curiously. She was playfully dragging her big toe along the ground around the little humans, cutting off their escape route by creating a deep trench that if they fell into would be too steep for them to climb out. “Humans are so small, why should we worry about what these guys think?”

“I get your point,” Blue nodded and placed her hands on her hips. She looked down at the humans who were scrambling to get up and flee. “But didn’t the last bunch we met say something about the gods? We wouldn’t want to make them angry would we?”

“Ahahahahaha!” Red laughed, stomping at the ground because of how hilarious her calmer friend’s words were. “As if the gods would care about these specks. They wouldn’t even be able to see them let alone care about them!”

As Red laughed, a trickle of water launched up at her. They stream of cold water did not even make it to the top of her foot before dropping down onto the side of her heel.

“How was that, you monster? Don’t underestimate the power of us heroes!” shouted the miniscule voices of the tiny swordsman and his sorcerer ally. They had combined their strongest attacks together to unleash a dragon shaped torrent of water at the red fairy.

Where the humans got their confidence from, neither fairy was certain. Their attack was so minor, the red fairy would not have noticed it if she hadn’t been looking down at the humans.

“Look at that, Blue!” the red fairy continued to laugh. “Was that their magic? I could get a better cleaning from a drop of rain. They’re soooo weak.”

Blue hid her giggle fit behind her hand. “That was probably their strongest move, too. Couldn’t they have tried a bit of fire or lightning? We might have at least felt something.”

Having been technically attacked, Red had a reason to retaliate. With a grin plastered on her fairy face, she landed down on the ground right in front of the mage and swordsman and bent down to get a closer look her pathetic opponents.

“Well, since they tried so hard, I’ll reward them by taking them a bit seriously,” Red licked her lips. Her eyes sparkled with mischievousness. “Hey Mr. Mage, since you tried to clean my foot with that spell, I guess it’s only fair I clean you, don’t you think?”

Down on the ground, the mage and swordsman had been stunned by the shock of the giant red-winged fairy landing right in front of them. The swordsman, being physically tougher, managed to regain his senses in time to back up. His reaction made it just in time as the red fairy was not kind enough to take things slowly. She collected a large amount of saliva in her mouth and spat it right down on the stunned sorcerer. A massive waterfall of sticky spit bombarded the millimeter tall magic user at an explosive speed. Before the man could even drown, every single one of his frail bones had already been broken by the sheer force of the fairy spitting on him.

“Jonah!” the swordsman shouted his friend’s name as he was blown back by the shockwave caused when the fairy’s spit hit the dirt. He was caught by both his party’s healer and fighter.

“Are you okay, Aiden? Luna, heal him please.”

“Yes. I’m on it.”

“Just three left,” Red taunted from above the party. She inspected the survivors and found the dazed swordsman’s predicament amusing. “Mr. Swordsman, you should be happy to have a lady on each arm.”

“A lady on each arm?” the blue fairy repeated. She exchanged glances with her friend and realized they had the same idea. She approached Red and also bent down to look at the bugs in the dirt. Together, they surrounded the remaining three and completely blocked out the sunlight from above. “We can’t have that, Red. It’s unfair for those girls to have to share one man.”

“We’ve been killing a bunch of men lately though, Blue,” Red tried to count the number of humans she had eliminated, but hadn’t actually been paying enough attention to keep track. What gender the humans were didn’t matter to her when she could snuff them all out so easily. She simply wanted to fool around. “How about instead of punishing Mr. Swordsman, we just make it so he doesn’t have to worry about who to choose?”

“Oh. I like that idea, Red,” Blue agreed with her friend. The two turned their attention back down to the specks on the floor. The adventurers had heard every word they had said. They couldn’t not have heard considering the two fairy’s voices, as childish and playful as they were, were capable of creating tremors that rocked their little bodies. The three were frozen in fear looking up at the monumental, giddy faces that spelt their demise.

“Luna… Ange… Run,” the swordsman trembled as he tightened the grip on his sword. “I’ll try to buy some time. Don’t let them get you.”

“What? But Aiden, you’ll b-”

“Just run!” The swordsman shouted. He glanced at his party’s fighter. His desperate eyes told her that she had to take their healer and go.

“Okay. Just make it back alive,” the fighter nodded and picked their youngest and lightest party member up in her arms and started to run.

Seeing his allies flee, Aiden clenched his teeth and looked up at the giantesses. He tightened his grip on his sword and readied it with both hands. The weapon’s blade began to release a pale yellow aura.

“Hey, you big fat monsters! You opponent is me! Take this! My ultimate attack: the Sky Cleaver! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!” the swordsman swung his sword with all of the strength and magic power he had. He fired a massive yellow shockwave with the mighty slice. The attack which could break the sound barrier was able to clear the incredible distance between the ground and the fairy’s faces high above.

Achoo!

“Excuse me. Jeez, we’ve been kicking so much dust up.”

The target of the attack, Blue, sneezed and completely blew away the Sky Cleaver before it reached her face. The sudden hurricane force wind generated by the fairy slammed Aiden down into the floor, completely shredding his metal armor and his body with just the air pressure. The bug swordsman died without a single conscious thought from the fairies he had challenged.

Red noticed the man’s death, but acknowledged only the fact that she had lost a plaything. “Aww, Blue. I wanted to save him for last. We were supposed to kill the girls first.”

“Sorry, sorry,” Blue apologized as she wiped her nose.

“Well, whatever,” Red shrugged. She turned her attention to the two girls who were still fleeing. She could see the healer with her arms trying to reach back to where the swordsman was. They knew he had died. “Since there’s only two left, I guess we can split them.”

Putting her index finger to her mouth, the red winged fairy wet it and slowly brought it down onto the fleeing girls. They had not made it even two elven centimeters away from her. She let her finger slam down on the healer and fighter and raised it back up to see the two bugs stuck to the saliva on her finger.

"No… It can’t end like this…”

“Oh Lord, why have you forsaken us…”

The miserable wails of the two surviving adventurers went unnoticed by their captors. The blue winged fairy looked down at the tiny bodies trapped on her friend’s finger and took her pick. With her index and thumb finger, she pinched the healer’s clothes between her azure nails and plucked her off.

“I’ll take this one,” Blue declared. She hovered her hand above her mouth and tilted her neck back.

“Works for me. I like specks that fight back anyways, hahaha,” grinned Red. She brought her finger to her lips and pressed the diminutive fighter against her colossal, plush pink lips.

“Time for a snack!” “Bottoms up!”

Blue and Red ate the last two adventurers.

Blue was cold and simplistic with her manner of snacking. All she did was toss Luna into her mouth and swallowed her whole. She could feel the weakened healer struggle to try to hang onto her tongue, but completely denied all of her desperate attempts at surviving by closing her mouth and swallowing her saliva to cause the tiny healer to lose her grip and fall down her throat. She would hit Blue’s stomach quickly considering her size, but she honestly would not fill the fairy up in the slightest.

Red on the other hand chose to enjoy her snack. She tossed Ange around her cavernous maw with her leviathan of a tongue, giving the fighter no time to rest as she endured the relentless assault of being tasted while struggling to catch her breath as she was tossed into and thrown out of pools of saliva. The red winged fairy playfully gnawed on the human with her molars, easily tearing the woman’s leather armor and bruising her body underneath. Her only reprieve was when the fairy finally swallowed, giving her a moment’s breath as she fell down the lengthy path of her esophagus. Of course, that reprieve was only short lived as she eventually reached the stomach where her demise would be met.

With their snacking complete, the two fairies laughed and flew back up into the sky.

“Ahahahahaha! Let’s get going. I wonder how long it’ll be until the next bunch leaves the human kingdom,” Red laughed as she performed a triple front flip in the air. She patted her stomach, wondering if the fighter she had swallowed could feel her rough aerial maneuvers.

“Probably in a few days,” Blue shrugged. She licked her lips to ensure she hadn’t made a mess of her face from eating. “You know humans. They’re such foolish creatures that they’ve never questioned why their travelers never return.”

“We’ll be back then. Honestly, playing with those heroes is so much fun. I’m glad we found this human nest.”

“You and me both… You and me both…”

The two fairies ventured off deeper into the woods they called their home, leaving the human kingdom of Rasparten alone to send off more heroes for them to play with. The adventurer’s party had been defeated, and another would soon head off in their place. The ignorant humans would lose more and more of their own but would persist so long as the fairies were entertained. Since their discovery at the hands of two mere fairies of the Shared Realm, the fate of the kingdom had literally fallen into the hands of the playful fair-folk’s whims. Should the fairies ever get bored, every single one of the humans who lived in Rasparten could easily be wiped out under their feet. Such was the existence of all of humanity.

Truly, humans were an insignificant race.

Chapter End Notes:

I love fantasy but there's just too many fantasy creatures and races out there as well as too many different types of interactions they can have. I have some scenes in the works, but I do take suggestions because there's never enough fantasy GTS out there.