- Text Size +

• 2 •

I love our quintet’s gatherings, especially when the day’s been dull. The quintet, that’s Crissie, Leah, Alex, David and, of course, myself. All of them are special friends, to me and among each other. That kind of friends you share your most intimate secrets and most clandestine thoughts with. Friends, you’d entrust your life to, knowing for sure they’d rather go down themselves than to buckle.

Leah is my training partner, a tall and athletic girl of Spanish descent with blazing eyes and a long auburn hair. Crissie is my neighbour in the dorm and my most trusted friend. David is from African ancestry, like me, but while my skin bears the typical chocolate tone of eastern ethnics, David is much more dark skinned. His features are slender and sharp and he looks like a 6 foot 5 tall decathlete. He is Leah’s former boyfriend and I thank the heavens that they managed to stay close friends when they split up last year. Alex is David’s best pal. He is slim and brown-haired, the archetype of the happy-go-lucky guy. He’s a jester by himself, but when he’s with David they’re like Laurel and Hardy, Riggs and Murtaugh. Alex had an affection for Crissie, but her fickle manner with choosing and changing boyfriends chilled him considerably.  

This evening we met in Crissie’s apartment, which means I had to go one door right from my own room. Crissie half lies on her bed, while Leah sits on an office chair. David and me loll on the sofa and Alex made himself comfortable slouched on the floor. We had a few beer and now drink softdrinks with liquor.

Crissie reports about her most weird childhood pal. Obviously, that’s been some featherbrained yet devoted boy, somewhere between a clumsy bear and a coarse ruffian who acted as her bodyguard and scapegoat. The story in fact isn’t very nice nor funny, but Crissie tells it with such cheerful enthusiasm that we others can’t help but rock with laughter.

“Who’s been your childhood oddball, Kim?” Crissie asks me when she has finished her tale.

“Tim! Tim Meyer.” I say without hesitation. Immediately, memories flood my mind, so many scenes and situations.

“Hello? Ground control to Kim? Was he a similar oaf like Crissie’s friend?” I must have zoned out, for David’s comment makes me snap back in.

“No, he was a cool cat!” I’m a bit annoyed when my childhood buddy is attacked like this, a reflex from back then.

“I remember when we met for the first time. We were 6 or seven years old, then, and I guess he’d never met a black girl before. He asked me if I were all dirty.”

“Ouch, that’s kinda badly racist!” Alex blurts out, but I immediately pitch in to defend Tim.

“No, not at all. It’s been a rural area where coloured people were highly unusual. I simply told him that my skin just had this colour, and he nodded, said ‘I like your colour’ and the thing was settled. The subject emerged never again. From that day, we were inseparable. We went to school together and spent our free time together. I suppose, he even would have joined me for ballet class if I’d asked.”

“Okay, fine rapport. But what makes him your most whimsical childhood friend?” Alex asks puzzled.

“Well, the longer we were friends, the more he acted like my puppy than my friend. I led, he followed. I named it, he did it. Without hesitation or second thought.”

“So… did you made him do something real silly or risky?” Crissie asks, but I just shake my head.

“Well, you had a devotee. That’s droll, but not that weird. Except for that ‘Kim and Tim’ thingy.” Alex openly shows his disappointment in my story and for a moment I’m inclined to tell more. But I claim the right to keep a few secrets myself.

“Dozy home, dozy childhood.” This last statement I provide with a shrug. That should do it.

“By the way, I know that you grew in a small town and stuff, but you never told much about your past.” David looks at me inquisitive. “And do not tell me there isn’t much to tell. Out with the infinitely boring facts!” he cuts me short, sensing my intent.

“Fine. My parents…”

I’m interrupted by Alex exaggerated snoring and everyone starts to laugh. I can’t hold back and fall in. I playfully kick at Alex shoulder, then I begin anew.

“My parents came to this country several years before my birth. We’re from Kenia, but my mother once told me that I’m ultimately from Nubian-Somali-Kisii-descent, a potpourri of east African genetics. My father studied mechanical engineering. After they immigrated here, my mother studied medicine. So I had a perfectly sheltered life. My parents are open-minded and they wanted to enable everything I wanted to do.”

“Have you ever been to Kenia?” Crissie is all immersed in my tale now.

“Two times, yes. The first time I can hardly recall because I was too young back then. The second visit was at my age of 16. Kenia sure is a nice country, but for holidays, not for living. My Dad owns the mannerism that he speaks of Kenia as ‘home’ and acts as if he’d surely go back one day. I heard many immigrants living abroad have this diaspora-thinking. To me, this is 100% my homeland, as I have no personal connection to east Africa and felt unfamiliar and alien there. Me and my Dad had some bitter arguments about that. The more he fits in here, the more he inflates African traditions and habits. That’s why he made me practice long distance running with marathon runs in mind. Long-distance running is national sport in Kenia and my father was an able runner in his youth. When I interested myself in martial arts much more, he was disappointed. He’s pleased that I still practice running, but he’d love to see me doing it for competition, not just for building stamina. My mom is more modern. She’s honestly arrived here and says herself that she’d never go back again.”

“Wow! So much for the xenophobic assholes, preaching that all immigrants are cadgers.” Despite his sour tone, Alex nods approving. “Though some verify the thesis…” he adds with a cheeky grin towards David. Immediately David is upon him and wrestles him down.

“Help! Help! The black man is trying to kill me!” he screeches laughing and everyone else joins in the laughter. Within a moment, they are a ravel of arms and legs rolling on the floor. Leah waves aside bored and steps over them to pour me another glass of Whiskey-Coke.

“Full grown men acting like schoolboys…!” she snorts. Meanwhile, Alex is sitting atop David, panting heavily.

“Do you expect us to behave like boring slowpokes?” His grinning fades as Leah grabs his arm and pushes him to the floor with no effort using an armlock. His face flat on the floor and completely unable to move, Leah bows down.

“I expect you to fight professionally, not like primitive brawlers.” she purrs, then let go of him and sits back down.

“By the way, did your admirer call you?” Crissie and her loose tongue! Now it’s said and everyone’s attention is on me again.

“Indeed, he called the same evening and we had a long talk.”

“Who is he? Where did she met him? Expose the cold truth!” Leah speaks to Crissie while David and Alex untangle. Yah, act as if I weren’t here, sillies!

“Kim’s been hit on by some guy in the indoor pool two days ago.” She looks at me from the corner of her eye and just smiles as I shoot her a stern look.

“I felt so sorry for the poor fellow. He watched the Kim body show drooling with lolling tongue and had to gather all of his courage to approach her. Our Kim reached into his chest, shackled his heart with a barbwire leash and made him her poochie. It’s been a massacre!” Crissie tells with obviously mischievous glee as the others press her to.

“That’s not true! He’s been courteous and I just took one step at a time. I’ve just been a bit flirtatious.” My protest sounds weak, even in my own ears. Despite objecting, I know that I controlled and directed the situation – and I enjoyed it. So far, Crissie’s depiction is exaggerated, but not untrue. I know that superbia is considered the most vile of sins, but it feels so good!

“So the two of you have had a phone talk. What now? Will you meet him again?” Leah asks smug after the ‘Oohs’ and ‘Uuhs’ faded away.

“As if I’d told you, you vultures!”

“I consider that a clear ‘yes’.” That last comment of Leah elicits more laughter from the others. I make a grimace and stick out my tongue, but truth be told: I sincerely look forward to our next meeting.