- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Here's the next chapter. I spent some extra time editing and finishing this one to make it work. Let me know if you find any slip ups.....Umm I also feel like I need to apologize for the things that happen in this chapter beforehand. Sorry. So yeah let's get to this thing. 

Small Chapter 14: Crushed


“Bite down.” Gloria instructed. She hovered a toothpick she had snapped in half in front of Izzellah’s mouth. The tiny complied by clamping down hard with her teeth.

‘This is going to hurt.” Gloria informed her.

Izzellah nodded and steadied herself.

“Try to hold still.” Gloria said. She took a breath and steadied her hands. It was hard to focus with one to many brandies over ice in her. She would need to rest and sober up after this if they had any hope of making it home tonight. Maybe Sabrina would have her sleepover a little early. She took Izzellah’s tiny arm in her fingers. It felt like a twig that could snap at the slightest pressure. Fortunately this wasn’t Gloria’s first time. Fixing a dislocated shoulder should be cake next to resetting a four inch man’s leg bones with tweezers.

“Get ready, mija. On three.” Gloria stated.

Izzellah took in a deep breath and held.

“One.” Gloria pushed the arm into place.

“Argh!” Izzellah shrieked. She jumped up in a start. She spat out the toothpick in heat. “Mierda! You said on three!”

“Try and move your arm.” Gloria ordered.

Izzellah gave it a few test swings. She rotated her shoulder in a circle and winced. It still hurt but it was moving. She stretched it out behind her to knock out some kinks. IHer joint made a slight popping sound.

“You’re welcome.” Gloria smiled.

“Don’t give me back to her.” Izzellah said. “Please don’t put me through that again.”

“Not today, mija. As long as you don’t mind hanging out with a couple of drunk old women.” Gloria laughed.

“I’m not that old!” Mrs. Nelson exclaimed.

Both women started laughing in unison.

Izzellah was slightly taken aback. She’d never seen her mother this way. Happy and laughing, and drunk! It was because of Mrs. Nelson. Not only was this woman apparently Brenda’s mom, but she happened to know her mom from years ago. How?!

“Another brandy?” Mrs. Nelson proposed to Gloria.

“Oh, no, no, no!” Gloria denied with a chuckle. Izzellah could smell the alcohol on her from her spot on her mom’s shoulder. “I have to drive home!”

“That’s not the Gloria I remember!” Mrs. Nelson said. “I remember a girl that one night drank twelve beers and woke up the next morning to ace her pre-med exam!”

“That Gloria was eighteen, married, and had a two year old girl at home!”

Izzellah was in shock. Had her no nonsense, authoritarian mom really been that irresponsible? And as a parent?!

“Shouldn’t you be watching your drinks to Eddie? Don’t you have to drive Mabel home?”

“Mmmmmm. Not tonight.” Mrs. Nelson or “Eddie” said with a coy smile. She was nursing a large glass of red wine herself.

“I see.” Gloria smirked. “I take it Abe’s very happy about that?”

“Mmmmaybe.” Mrs. Nelson took a sip from her glass.

“Eddie, you bad girl.”

Both women laughed. Gloria leaned forward to steady herself on the kitchen counter. This caused Izzellah to tumble off her shoulder and for the second time get some intimacy with her mother’s chest.

“Oops.” Gloria giggled as she fished her daughter out. She dive in this time but just bounced around the top of her bosom. “Would you believe this isn’t the first time this has happened?”

Gloria brought her daughter to her face and gave her a light kiss on the cheek. It left a large red lip mark on the side of her face.

“Mom, you’re drunk.” Izzellah said as she wiped off the lipstick with her forearm.

“Not quite, mija, but I’m definitely getting there.” Gloria smiled. “I guess I should take a break on the hard stuff huh?” Gloria went to the fridge and poured herself a glass of orange juice. She then took the glass and her daughter and went toward the living room area. She sat down on a couch across from a big screen tv turned off. There was no one else in the room. She took a long sip of her o.j.

“You’re miserable aren’t you?” she said all of a sudden.

Izzellah didn’t answer. She crawled out of her mother’s hand and found a comfortable spot on her lap. She felt a hand come across her back and stroke her lightly.

“Did you know I have three brothers and four sisters.” Gloria revealed. “I was the oldest of all of them, and I hated each of them in a different way.”

“But you and aunt Isabella love each other.” Izzellah said.

“Now. But when I was your age? I hated her. She had this annoying little dog she picked up off the street. It would yap all day and all night. She let it piss on my clothes.” Gloria relaxed back into the couch with a content smile.

“Being under Sabrina’s thumb. It must be a nightmare for you.”

“I don’t know what to do.” Izzellah whimpered. “I feel trapped.”

“Did you like the backpack?” Gloria asked.

“What’s it for?”  

“When you leave.” Gloria informed. “You’ll need something to carry all those clothes I bought you.”

“You told Sabrina that was an impossibility.”

“It’s called playing both sides, mija. It’s what parents do.”

“Do you want me to leave?” Izzellah looked up to her mother lost.

“No…..but I didn’t want your father to leave either and we know how that turned out.”

“Mom..I don’t”

“Just promise me you’ll be safe!” Gloria smiled but her voice sounded weak. “I don’t want to lose you to.”

“I don’t want to leave, mom.” Izzellah said. “I just feel like I have to.”

“Heh….You’re father said the same thing.” she laughed. “Then he died.”

Both women went silent for a moment. Ignacio Ivory had left five years ago to travel south of the border. There was a “big business opportunity” in Mexico. His body was found a year later with a bullet in his head. Two months after that Gloria discovered her bank account had enough money to move to Winton Heights, buy their new house,  pay her med school tuition, and enroll Sabrina in Winton Elementary. It wasn’t worth it.

“Where you really a wild party girl?” Izzellah asked.

“How old do you think I am?” Gloria asked back.

“Over...thirty?”

“I’m thirty-three, mija.” Gloria informed. “And how old are you?”

“Sixteen.”

Gloria cocked an eyebrow and smiled.

“Oh!” A lightbulb went off in Izzellah’s head.

“I don’t regret it for a second.” Gloria picked her daughter up and gave her another moist kiss on the forehead.

“Mom!” Izzellah laughed. “I-I love you mom.”

“I know, mija. I love you too.”

 


 

Her mother was asleep. Izzellah sat cross legged in her mom’s lap and watched an episode of Tanked with the volume down low. Two men were arguing over what type of shark to put in a display for Las Vegas. She leaned back into her mother’s stomach and felt it rise and fall with her shallow breath. The room was empty. It dawned on Izzellah that she was alone…..She was alone! Sabrina was outside swimming with her friends. This was her chance! Maybe her only chance to finally escape. She could jump down off this couch, sneak outside and in the chaos of the party slip away without anyone noticing. It sounded simple in theory, but she was still chipped. Even if it was only for a day, nothing would stop Sabrina from finding her. She doubted she could get out of it’s effective range with her two pitifully tiny legs being her only mode of travel, and that range would grow everyday until recapture was not a chance but an inevitability. She would risk it!....But not today. Just thinking about it created a pit in her stomach. Not after what her mom had said. She couldn’t take advantage of her like that! Why’d she have to be so sappy today?!  Izzellah curled up deeper into her mother’s lap and thought of her father. She remembered an argument one night, him coming into her room to hug her goodnight.

“Goodbye, Izzy. I love you.” Was the last thing she’d ever heard him say. She fell asleep and never saw him again. If she’d known that she would’ve went with him. She closed her eyes to shut out the tears. She decided it might be best to get some sleep herself.


Isn’t this just the most precious thing.” Izzellah heard. She opened her eyes and blinked out a bit of sleep. She stretched and yawned and looked up to see the figure of Amanda “Edward” Nelson staring down at her with a condescending smile. It wasn’t quite as annoying as Sabrina’s but it was a close second.

“Gloria’s become quite the lightweight in her old age.” Mrs. Nelson mused. “Only three little brandies and she’s out like a light.”

“Can I help you with something?” Izzellah asked.

“Do you really not remember me at all?” Mrs. Nelson took a seat next to Gloria on the couch.

“Sorry.” Izzellah shrugged. “Should I?”

“Imagine my surprise when the girl my daughter speaks so highly of came into my office. The girl she constantly praised as, so beautiful, so smart, so confident.”

“Do you have a point to this?”

“The same girl I took with us on a trip to Santa Cruz.”

A memory flashed in Izzellah’s head. Brenda, Rebecca, and her, on a beach. It was a warm day. They were in swimsuits, a very embarrassing red two piece Rebecca goaded her into wearing. A picture was taken…...by a tall woman with short red hair….

“You grew your hair out.” Izzellah grumbled.  

:”So you do remember.”

“Yes, great! Do you mind not bothering me today?”

“So hostile!” Mrs. Nelson said in mock disbelief. “That attitude is not going to do you any favors.”

“Don’t you have enough time dissecting my brain during school? Do you really have to do it on your off hours too?”

“I’m not here to torment you, Izzy. I just think it might be a tad…..irresponsible to leave alone unattended.”

“I’m not alone and I’m not going to run off.” Izzellah turned away from the aggravating woman. Was it too much to just have a little peace for herself?

Mrs. Nelson paused and inspected her with discerning eyes. This made Izzellah uneasy. She felt like this woman could read her mind.

“Still I think it would be best if you had a chaperone.” She tapped her chin with a manicured finger. The sides of her lips curled up. “And I know the perfect person.”

“You.” Izzellah proposed with ire.

Mrs. Nelson laughed. “Oh, dear no! I’ve got much better things to do.” She leaned down and extended a palm next to Gloria’s thigh for Izzellah to climb onto.

Izzellah didn’t trust it. She didn’t trust her. ‘I think I’ll pass.”

“Well the thing is.” Mrs. Nelson’s hand coiled around her. “A person at your size really doesn’t have much choice but to listen to those that are bigger than you. I like to think you’ve learned that by now.

“Mo-!” Izzellah’s mouth was silenced by Mrs. Nelson’s finger.

“I think it’s best we let Gloria rest. She works very long hours y’know.” Mrs. Nelson walked out the living room and around the corner toward the stairs.

Izzellah bit down hard, or tried to as soon a she tried to clamp down her jaw Mrs. Nelson’s finger drove farther inside cutting off her air and any power she had in her bite.

“Try and behave, Izzellah. Just because you’re small doesn’t mean you have to act like an animal.” She removed her finger from Izzellah’s mouth.

“Where are you taking me?!” Izzellah bellowed. Part of her hoped that somehow her tiny voice would somehow carry to her mother….or even that Sabrina would show up out of the blue.

“Try to relax, Izzy!” Mrs. Nelson crested the stairs and rounded a corner. “You should learn to trust people more. It will make you happier in the long run.” She reached a door with a sign that said do not enter. Mrs. Nelson chuckled at this and knocked.

She opened the door into a darkened room. The only source of light was a dim blue coming from the monitor of a laptop.

“MomI I didn’t say you could come in!” Brenda whined.

“For heaven’s sake Brenda let some light in here.” Mrs. Nelson said. She went over to her daughter’s window and opened the curtains that kept the sunlight at bay. “How is it that you’d rather spend your birthday party alone in your room instead of outside with your family and friends.”

“I hate our family.” Brenda stated. “And I don’t have any friends.”

“You sure about that honey?” Mrs. Nelson presented Izzellah to her daughter. “Happy Birthday darling.”

“Mom, you can’t just-”

“It’s fine, Brenda.” Mrs. Nelson let Izzellah step off her hand and onto the bed. “She needed to be watched anyway, and you’re the only responsible one in the house.”

Izzellah scoffed, but walked closer to Brenda nonetheless.

“Mom, I don’t think this-”

“It will be good for both of you.” Mrs. Nelson continued. “I’m sure Gloria will be fine with it.” Mrs. Nelson left the room and closed the door behind her.

There was a pause as the two girls left in the room assessed the situation.

Izzellah spoke first. “I kind of really hate your mom.”

“I understand completely.” Brenda agreed.

 


 


Sabrina gasped for air. She’d stayed under half a second longer than she’d wanted and inhaled a bit of water. She coughed and hacked up a tiny swallow of chlorine enriched water from down her windpipe. Mabel broke the surface of the water next to her and sucked in a few desperate breaths herself.

“I win!” Mabel announced with her arms up high.

“Good for you.” Sabrina said half heartedly. She swam over to the shallow end of the pool and rested on the steps.

“C’mon, Sabrina you can’t still be mad.” Mabel said as she took a seat next to her best friend.


“Well I am….but not at you. Not just at you.” Her face contorted into an awful, shameful frown. “It’s so frustrating. I don’t know what to do.”

Mabel moved closer and put an arm around her distressed friend.

“I’ve messed up so bad! My sister hates me!”

“She doesn’t hate you.” Mabel tried to comfort, but her words didn’t seem to work.

“Yes she does!” Sabrina snapped. “I can tell by how she looks at me. I was so happy when she shrunk. I thought it would be a chance to finally have a sister. But I messed up. I wasn’t good enough. I got angry! And now I got her hurt!”

“Were you mad at her?” Mabel asked. She didn’t know if it was the right question, or even if she should say anything at all, but Sabrina needed something.

“No…...I was…...yes.” Sabrina admitted. “Even before she shrank I was. I wanted something bad to happen to her. I thought she got what she had coming. And then she wanted to leave and I don’t know. I don’t want that to happen.” Sabrina sucked in a breath. She felt her air hitch in her throat as she tried to cut off a sob.  

“Isn’t that really dangerous?” Riri said. She sidled up to the other side of Sabrina and let her lean against her.

“It’s idiotic!” Sabrina bellowed. “Even if she somehow doesn’t get eaten, or stepped on in the first five minutes, she could just as easily freeze to death, or starve! But she wants to go anyway! Because she’s not happy!.....Because I can’t make her happy.”

“So what?” Came another voice. Peter Silver rose just his head up out of the water at the trio’s knees. He squatted down on his knees in the shallow end beneath the girls. “She’s tiny. Really tiny. If you know what’s best for her than what’s it matter if she doesn’t like it?”

“Peter?!” Riri breathed aghast.

“It’s true!” Peter reinforced. “If I were small that’s what I’d want!” He gasped. The three girls all stared at him.

“If-if I were small I…..I’d want someone to take care of me. Someone who knows better than I do. So that I don’t have to worry about anything. I won’t have to worry about….people. Even if she hates you now, she’ll come around.” He sunk back into the water and swam away.

“She is really small, Sabrina.” Mabel said. She held her thumb and index finger apart about the estimated size of Izzellah. “It’s not like she can do much by herself. You could just lock her in a cage, or keep her in a shoebox, or wear her in your sock, or like a piece of jewelery, or-”

“I get it Mabel.” Sabrina sighed. Was that really her only option? Wait until eventually Izzellah came around? It was so hard just waiting. Waiting and worrying and making mistakes. Assuming her mom even let her near Izzy after the way she blew it today. She wasn’t ready for the responsibility.

 


 


“So how are things at school?” Izzellah asked.

“You don’t care about school.” Brenda replied. She stood up and re-closed the blinds leaving only a slight opening for a sliver of light to leak through. “But since you asked I guess things are normal. It’s a little boring without you there and Darren and Shelby are publically dating. A few people talk about you. They think you transferred to a college out of state. I haven’t corrected them. I keep to myself mostly.”

“Is this the first time I’ve ever been inside your house?” Izzellah asked.

“Fourteenth.” Brenda informed. “Although I don’t blame you for not remembering. You never really had much consideration for other people.”  

“I’m sorry.” Izzellah said.

“No. Don’t apologize.” Brenda corrected. “It wasn’t worth remembering. You didn’t need to be troubled with trivialities like that. You were better than that. It’s one of the reasons I love you.”

“Were? Love?” Izzellah held herself. Of course Brenda would say this now.

“Don’t pretend like you didn’t know.” Brenda said. “You’ve been using my feelings for you since we first met.”

“Yeah.” Izzellah admitted. “That was a pretty terrible thing to do to a friend.”

Brenda giggled. “I don’t think so. I’m pretty sure we were never really friends.”

“I’m not a great person. Maybe that’s why this happened to me.”

“No. You’re wrong.” Brenda said. “I don’t know why you were the one that shrunk but I know that you were a great person.”

“Brenda I’m not what you-”

“Do you remember when we first met?” Brenda asked.

“It was at the library somewhere in the city.”

“It was Golden Coast Middle School” Brenda corrected. She leaned back in her easy chair and crossed her arms. She took in the tiny laying about on her bed. “You were pissed that my project got picked over yours for first place at the science fair.”

“Those judges were biased. My study on the effects of pollution in the environment on native plants was superior.”

“And done before. You just reminded people about something they chose to ignore. My survey on which phone app made people the happiest was more approachable.”

“It was pandering.”

“Didn’t stop you from seeking me out. Scouring the school for the quiet nerd girl who’d beaten you. Demanding answers. Wanting to be better.”

“I force you to study with me even though you didn’t want to. I threatened to-”

“Dunk my head in a toilet.” Brenda laughed. “And I was dumb enough to believe you.” She leaned forward and grinned at Izzellah. “No one does that y’know. People don’t just seek out someone better than them and try to manipulate them. That’s why I knew you were someone worth knowing.”

“You give me too much credit.” Izzellah blushed. She fidgeted with her dress, then her hair.  

“Yeah I did. But I wanted too. It helped me. In a way I was using you too. I don’t think I’d be nearly as capable as I am now without hanging onto you. I mean, I’ve stared down Darren Winton! More than once! Do you know how many people get away with crossing that family?”

“You always did a good job at that.” Izzellah shifted backwards. For some reason she was feeling a bit nervous. She didn’t know why. It couldn’t be Brenda, could it?

Brenda moved to grab Izzellah. She touched her gingerly like she was made of glass. The tiny girl trembled at the sensation.

“Brenda?”

“I’ve always wanted to touch you, Izzy.” Brenda said. She wrapped her fingers around Izzy’s waist and lifted her up.

“Brenda please. I don’t think I can do this.”

Brenda gripped the tiny girl softly. She pressed her index finger against her back and stroked down to her legs.

“You’re dress is so pretty Izzy.” Brenda observed. She turned her upside down and the white dress flowed down revealing her Nike underwear. “You never wear dresses.”

“You can thank Sabrina for that.” Izzellah snarked. “And please don’t call me Izzy. You know I don’t like it.”

“But I do.” Brenda twirled her around in her hand. She felt up her chest and tugged at her braid. “It really suits your new perspective don’t you think?”

“I think you’re getting a little too handsy.”

“Maybe, but I feel like I’ve earned it.” Brenda gave her a kiss on her stomach. “It’s my birthday after all.”

“Brenda I’m serious.” Izzellah said firmer. She started actively resisting Brenda’s embrace. “I don’t want this! I’m not ready for it. Not from you.”

“Maybe I don’t care what you want!” Brenda held Izzellah’s hands above her head with two fingers and let her dangle. She nipped at her toes. “Maybe I’ve decided that what I want matters for a change. That finally it’s not all about you!”

“Brenda, STOP!” Izzellah kicked at her nose so hard it jostled her frames.

Brenda felt the sting on her nose. “Why you little bitch!” She snapped. Then froze. She removed her glasses and squinted. She saw Izzellah’s face; crimzon and strained with anger and fear. Fear of her.

“Fuck.” Brenda sighed. She dropped Izzellah and let her fall onto the bed. “I guess I still respect you too much to take advantage of you. Even if I really want to.”

“That makes one person.” Izzellah sniffled as she tried to regain her composure.

“Your sister right?” Brenda leaned back into her chair and wiped her forehead. “I can tell she has it bad for you. I thought she was going to punch me when I held you downstairs.”

“She probably wanted to. I don’t know what I’m going to do about her. Honestly I can’t do anything about her, or anything about anything.”

Brenda stood up from her chair and flopped down onto her bed with enough force to cause Izzellah to bounce upward with a peep. She watched her land down next to her face. She giggled. “It really sucks being tiny huh?”

Izzellah laughed out loud, so hard that she rolled over and grabbed her sides.

“What’s so funny? Is it really that bad?” Brenda asked.

“No…..yes! But it’s not that. You called me a bitch! I’ve never heard you swear before.”

Brenda laughed again. “I think we are friends.” She felt Izzellah roll into the side of her cheek followed by two dainty feet pushing into her face. Izzellah reclined backward content to continue her small exercise.

“That’s annoying.” Brenda deadpanned as Izzellah persisted to push against her skin.

“It’s so squishy.” Izzellah observed. “Your skin. I can grip it between my toes. Do you moisturize or something?”

“I know you’re small now and it’s a hard for you, but you don’t have to be a pest.” Brenda huffed.

“It’s all I have.” Izzellah returned. “If you really want me to stop then just do it. There’s nothing I can do anymore.” Izzellah found herself being lifted up by her foot and hung upside down over Brenda’s discriminating eyes.

“You don’t mean that.” Brenda said. “It’s sounds like you’ve given up.”

“Maybe I have.” Izzellah said. “Part of me wants to run away. See what I can do on my own! Prove myself!....but another part just wants to curl into a ball and be pet by my little sister. And I don’t know which one is the real me.”

“The Izzy I knew wouldn’t be content as the pet of her sister or anyone no matter what.”

Izzellah laughed. “The Izzellah you know is currently hanging by her leg the size of an insect and completely under your control.”

“That’s not an excuse.” Brenda said. “If you want to stay than stay.” Brenda set Izzellah down on the floor of her carpet. “If you want to go then go.”

“Are you serious?” izzellah asked to the living monolith that so casually relaxed on her bedspread.

“I won’t stop you.” Brenda replied.

“That’s not very responsible of you.” Izzellah smirked. “You’re mom said you were the good one.”

“My mom doesn’t know me as well as she thinks.” Brenda revealed with more than a little cynicism. “She thinks she can just act like everything’s okay after what she did to- Oh! Don’t mind me.” Brenda caught herself.

“I-I can stay if you want.” Izzellah offered. “It might not be the best thing to abandon a friend on her birthday.”

“Don’t worry about me.” Brenda assured. “I’ve had years to deal with my issues.”

Izzellah hesitated then turned away. She headed for Brenda’s door. She turned and waved at her friend one last time. It may have been Brenda’s birthday but Izzellah had recieved a gift. She squeezed under the door and took her first chance at freedom.

 


 

She wasn’t going to runaway. That’s what’s Izzellah decided. Not today at least. She wouldn’t ruin a birthday with her sudden disappearance. She couldn’t do that to Brenda, to her mom, to Sabrina. But what she could do was explore. She had to prove to herself she was capable of escaping, of living on her own, of just moving around by herself. She squeezed her toes in the fibers of the carpet of the hallway. She was right outside Brenda’s door. Just down the hall which might as well have been a mile for her were the stairs. That would be her first goal. Get to the stairs, somehow get to the bottom and maybe find Sabrina. That would be a surprise wouldn’t it. She could almost imagine the look of terror on her sister’s face to discover her precious “little sis” was out and about on her own. Maybe it would finally show her that Iittle Izzy was capable. She nodded to herself and started jogging.

All the cardio in the world was not enough to prepare for life as a tiny. Izzellah though she’d kept herself in good shape but as she neared the stairs she was gasping. One thing was certain, if she wanted to survive on her own she would have to be in the best shape of her life.

She sat down on her knees and breathed for a few moments. She looked over the edge of the step. To her one step was a drop of almost twenty feet. A fall to the bottom would be akin to jumping off a skyscraper. She had falls before but a plummet like that? She wouldn’t test her luck. She slumped back against the wall next to an electrical socket. It seemed like an odd place for one. Who needs to plug in something at the top of the stairs? She stretched and yawned. She’d need a few minutes. Izzellah was about to close her eyes when she heard a distinct jingle. There was a soft thumping sound approaching from around the corner. She slid the the edge of the stair wall and glimpsed around the corner. She froze and caught her breath. It was a dog!

Izzellah knew she had to run, knew she had to flee, but her body froze. She didn’t know if it was exhaustion or fear but her legs wouldn’t respond to her brain’s commands. Was this the animalistic fear of prey when caught by a predator? She could feel the blood run cold in her veins. It felt like the temperature in the hallway had dropped ten degrees…..celsius. She wasn’t caught yet! She had to move. She forced her legs to take a step, and they responded by moving a millimeter closer...to the dog. Izzellah found herself peering at it with morbid curiosity. It looked like it was a puppy but a bit larger. Less than a year old. It had black fur with brown markings around the muzzle and paws. One ear was pointed while the other flopped in front of it’s face. It might have been a German shepard or some sort of mix. There was a bell on its collar. The name “Roscoe” was embedded on it. It sniffed at the ground earnestly as it got closer to her. Had it somehow gotten her scent? Izzellah knew she really needed to get out of there. She beat some life into her useless legs and they snapped to action. The spasm caught her off balance and she fell to the ground. Roscoe’s ears perked! Izzellah turned tail and ran.

She sprinted down the hallway as fast as her little legs could move her. She surprised herself with this sudden burst of energy. Maybe it was that desperate burst of adrenaline that kept the mouse from the cat, or in this case kept the tiny from the puppy. But Roscoe’s over energized puppy power was more than enough to keep pace. She turned her head to see the excited face of Roscoe as he snapped his jaws at her feet, literally nipping at her heels. Then the worst thing happened. She tripped. Running with such speed and necessity was new to her. She was a dancer, not an olympic sprinter. She lossed her footing and tumbled over herself in a front  somersault. She tried to pick herself up but a large puppy paw pinned her back and she heard a low growl above her. She felt a wet nose on her neck. Was this really how she’d go out? As a chew toy for Mabel’s puppy? She hadn’t even gotten outside! She thought she’d at least be eaten by something cool like a hawk or a racoon.

“Roscoe, Heel!”

The paw removed itself and the wet nose retreated. Izzellah rose to find two feet on either side of her attached to large flesh colored tree trunks. Roscoe was standing at attention in front of her, ready for orders.

“Roscoe, sit!”

The dog sat down on it’s haunches eager to please its master. Izzellah turned up to see Brenda staring down at her with her hands on her hips. She cocked an eyebrow at the tiny.

“Roscoe’s a good boy, Izzy. Aren’t you Roscoe.”

The puppy barked eagerly and wagged it’s tail in delight.

“I thought you were busy moping about your mom and dad?” Izzellah shouted up to her savior.

“I…...may been watching you through the crack in the door the entire time.”

Izzellah looked up with sarcasm at her overprotective friend.

“I’m the responsible one!” Brenda defended.

“He really is a good boy.” Brenda said as she scratched the back of Roscoe’s ear. The young hound was overjoyed to receive such attention from his master. “Be thankful you didn’t run into Waffles. That tiny creature is hellspawn.”

“Waffles?” Izzellah asked from her perch on Brenda’s right foot. The larger of the two sat at the top of the stairs with her feet resting on the step below.

“She’s Mabel’s dog. The worst Bichon Frise you will ever meet. She’d feast on your entrails in a heartbeat. Not like Roscoe here! Who’s a good boy!”

Roscoe barked again happily.

“I would like to know how he got out of his pen.” Mabel queried. “I put the dogs up when Mabel said Sabrina was coming.”

“Does that mean Waffles is out too!?” Izzellah panicked.

“No, she’s locked in Mabel’s room. Honestly she’d be there even if you weren’t coming. It’s the only way to keep her from getting into everything.”

Izzellah hopped off her friends foot and down another step. Brenda watched on with marked amusement.

“So you’re gonna keep going?” Brenda asked.

“Are you gonna keep watching me?”

“Yes.” Brenda admitted. “I’m the responsible one.” She groaned.

Izzellah jumped down another step with a bit more confidence and secretly happy to know her friend had her back.

 


 


Sabrina laid back on a towel to dry off. Mabel and Riri were still swimming but she just wasn’t into it. Her mind was overworking itself with thoughts of Izzy. What would she do? What could she do? What would work? Should she be more strict, be more lenient? It seemed like nothing would keep Izzy from killing herself. And that’s what it was. Suicide. Going off on her own was a death sentence and absolutely not a possibility.

“You seem troubled.”

Sabrina looked up to see a cute girl with jet black hair tied into two ponytails. She had pale, slightly yellowish skin and wore a red and black short sleeved one piece swimsuit. Sabrina thought she looked like a gymnast.

Sabrina hissed and closed her eyes.

“Is it about your tiny?” Mei asked.

“What are you even doing here?” Sabrina said, deflecting the question with another question.

“Your friend Mabel invited me. She considers us friends.”

“Really?” Sabrina snarked.

“We’re in the same class. She helped me out more than once when I was new. She was the first to talk to me. I am very grateful for this. So yes, I will show up to her birthday party as requested and bring an appropriate gift.”

“Ugh.” Sabrina groaned and rubbed her forehead.

“Your tiny is the source of your frustration.”

Sabrina turned away from the girl but that didn’t deter Mei in the slightest. She hunched down then laid on her back next to Sabrina on the towel.

“I have felt these same emotions with my brother, my tiny. I have had to confront the same obstacles.” Mei said.

“Why are you talking to me?!” Sabrina snapped. She didn’t care if Mei had a tiny brother. Izzy was different. Izzy was difficult. Izzy was hers.

“You are Mabel’s best friend. I feel it is my responsibility to help another friend in need. More importantly, you’re the only other person in the entire school to own a tiny. We have something in common.”

“Barely.” Sabrina snipped.

“You are currently wondering how much control you should exercise over your charge. You’re older sister Izzy-san.”

Sabrina coughed but didn’t acknowledge Mei’s lucky guess.

“In my experience, my brother responded well to firm guidelines and structure.” Mei continued. “When my parents are not involved I control what he wears, what he eats, when he bathes, where he goes, what he does from day to day. I require he finish certain tasks for me. He keeps my room clean for me, he monitors my oral hygiene, he-”

“You have him clean your teeth for you!” Sabrina exclaimed.

“Yes. Is that odd?” Mei asked genuinely.

“It’s a little weird. And all that works for you?”

“Yes.” Mei answered. “It is his duty not only as my tiny but as my older brother. My well being is a much his concern as his is mine.”

“I tried that. It worked a little but I feel to guilty after and I think it’s making Izzy-san hate me.” Sabrina sighed.

“Yes of course she will. So did my brother. Do you think he likes flossing my teeth, picking out the dust from my toes, cleaning the wax from my ears with his bare hands. He does not. He has let me know this on countless occasions.”

“So now he hates you and tries to run away and abandon you!” Sabrina seethed.

“No.” Mei said unfazed by Sabrina’s mood. “He stays. He appreciates the structure in his life. It puts him at ease. Let’s him create. His body is busy but his mind if free. That’s what he told me. In exchange for obedience he gets freedom.”

“Freedom?”

“Like right now.” Mei informed. “I did not bring Lee with me today. He’s currently at home...alone.”

“Alone! That’s insane!” Sabrina snapped upward and turned over to look Mei in the eyes. She stared back mutely and unconcerned.

“I am flattered by your empathy but I assure you Lee is perfectly fine. He is working on an important project for father and insisted he needed his space. I obliged his request. I trust him. He’s…..earned it.”

“Your brother works? Like a real job?”

“Correct. He is a designer of tiny products. This career choice has proven rather profitable. He’s already paid for my college tuition. I am forever in his debt.”

Sabrina was taken aback. Who was this girl? What kind of life was she living? And why was it so starkly different from hers?! Her brother worked?! Yet he also regularly cleans out her ears with his bare hands?! It was too incredible to believe!

“That would never work for me.” Sabrina laid back down and stared up at the sky. “If I try to give Izzy freedom she’ll bolt and I’ll spend all my time tracking her down before she gets eaten by a cat or something.”

“It is a balance, Sabrina Ivory. You take, but you also give. For every moment of obedience it is your burden to reward in kind. Izzy-san is not Lee and Lee is not Izzy-san, but without balance in her life she will rebel and ultimately turn toward her own destruction.”

“Fuck, you are the weirdest girl I’ve ever met.” Sabrina said. “And you talk like you’re in a fantasy game…...Thank you. I guess.”

“It is my pleasure.” Mei smiled. “However I must admit that my advice was not presented completely altruistically.”

“What?” Sabrina didn’t know what that last word meant.

“I have an agenda for seeking you out, Sabrina Ivory.” Mei raised up to her knees this time. “I would like to formally request you and your sister’s presence at my home at your soonest convenience.”

“So what now you want a sleepover too?!” Sabrina threw her hands in the air. Why was she suddenly in such high demand?

“Yes a sleepover. My brother wishes to meet with your sister once more. Meeting another tiny is exceedingly rare. He wishes to use her as reference so that he might fine tune certain products directed toward female consumers.”

“Such as?”

“Undergarments and feminine hygiene products to name a few. We are willing to pay you  for your time if requested.”

“I ummmm...I’ll have to think about it.” Sabrina said completely dumbfounded. How would Izzy take this? Should she even give her a choice? It sounded like fun to see her little sis parade around as some kind of model. Maybe she’d even get famous.

“This answer was expected.” Mei then produced a small business card from somewhere on her person. “Please accept my contact information. Call me anytime if you ever need assistance.” Mei then stood up to leave.

“Where are you going?” Sabrina asked. For some reason she felt comfortable around this strange girl. She could see why Mabel had befriended her, she had a certain calming effect. Sabrina found herself wanting to know Mei better.

“Mr. Samson has finished preparing the bounce house. I’m going to go jump up and down until I pass out girlfriend!” Mei winked and skipped off toward the inflated castle in the corner of the backyard. Sabrina to her own surprise found herself with the sudden urge to follow.

 


 


Izzellah made it to the bottom of the stairs. Brenda watched from a few steps above still cuddling Roscoe in her arms. She rounded the corner and could see into the kitchen from the front hallway. Her mother was awake and speaking with Mrs. Nelson.

“Trust me Gloria there’s nothing to worry about.” Mrs. Nelson said between a bite of barbecue rib.

“I still wish you would have woken me up, Eddie! It’s not your right to make decisions about my daughter!”

“You said it yourself. Izzy needed a break. Brenda’s a good girl and I think they both needed to see each other.”

“Fine.” Gloria relented. “Just this one time. But don’t screw around with my children.”

“It’s too late for that.” Mrs. Nelson giggled. “You’re daughters have some serious issues they need to work out.”

“I know.” izzellah watched her mother take a seat in the kitchen high chair and slump onto her elbows. “It just hasn’t been the same since…”

“Ignacio.” Mrs. Nelson finished. “I wanted to ask if it was okay talking about him with the girls during our next session.”

“Hah!” Gloria laughed. “Good luck with that one! Izzellah will chew your face off.”

Izzellah grimaced at this conversation. Is this what adults talked about?

“Your mom sucks.” Izzellah said more to herself.

“Yeah, she does.” Brenda replied surprising the tiny. She was on her knees hovering just above her trying her best to stay hidden. “I do think she’s just trying to help you.”

“I never asked for her fucking help!” Izzellah cursed. “Who does she think she is, some kind of god?”

“Worse. She’s a therapist.” Brenda whispered. “You think you have it bad, try being related to her.”

Izzellah rounded the corner into the living room passing by the kitchen in the process. Brenda tried her best to follow along as stealthily as she could while ferrying Roscoe. Neither mother seemed to notice them pass by.

“So what now?” Brenda spoke as they entered the empty living room. She stood up to her full height. She marveled at how tiny Izzellah was. She had to squint to make out her features.

Izzellah looked out the sliding glass window. She jogged up to it and put her hands on the glass. She turned around and wheezed as she pressed her back into the see through barrier and slid down onto her but. She watched as Brenda easily covered the same distance she had just exhausted herself with in just a few steps. Brenda went down to her haunches then sat down with a earth shaking thump right next to her tiny friend. She let Roscoe go and he skittered about in circle.

“I wanna go outside.” Izzellah gasped with a smile.

“Izzy that’s not a good idea.”

“I don’t care.” Izzellah breathed. “I have to do this.”

“Izzy.”

“I can’t open this door on my own!” Izzellah pleaded. “You said you wouldn’t stop me.”

Brenda rose to her feet. She placed a hand on the sliding glass door and pushed it open. Roscoe seized this opportunity to go outside and be with the party people.

“I’m still going to be watching you Izzy.” Brenda said.

“Brenda what are you doing?” Came the voice of her mother. Brenda jumped and turned to see Mrs. Nelson staring at her with inspecting eyes.

“I was just letting Roscoe out to use the bathroom.” She lied.  

“And where is my daughter?” Gloria Ivory asked emerging from the kitchen right behind.

“She’s right there.” Brenda pointed down at nothing where there once was a two inch young woman. Izzy was gone. “No!” Brenda turned toward the backyard and could just barely see a tiny silhouette heading into the grass.

“Brenda what have you done?” Mrs. Nelson gasped.

“I was going to be with her!” Brenda screamed. She rushed out toward the lawn to try to find her miniaturized best friend before something terrible happened.

“Gloria I didn’t mean for this-”

“Quiet, Eddie!”Gloria snapped. “Nothing’s happened yet. This is why we had her chipped in the first place.” Gloria searched for her bag which was on the kitchen counter. She fetched her smartphone inside and started up the tracker app. A few moments later a 3d model of her daughter popped up. She was still alive and her pulse was slightly up. The app was beeping about every second or so. Gloria moved the phone toward the backyard and it started beeping slightly faster. She pressed a button on the touchscreen and the app switched to an arrow that pointed toward her daughter’s chip.

“Subject 29-388 is approximately fourteen feet away.” the phone spoke in a slight robotic feminine voice.

Gloria sighed in relief. She turned toward Mrs. Nelson. “Go warn everybody to look out for my idiot two inch daughter before she gets stepped on.” Gloria held the phone in front of her and started following the arrows direction.

 


 

 

Izzellah couldn’t believe her eyes. She was outside. Outside! The full expanse of the world lied before her. As she shifted through the grass if felt like she was in a fantasy land. Each blade was taller than her, the earth shook with the movement of people passing back and forth overhead. She was roaming with literal giants. Towering beings completely unaware of her presence and indifferent to her struggle.

“Izzy! Where are you?!” Came Brenda’s voice. Her friend was only a yard behind her fervently inspecting every inch of lawn in front of her. Part of Izzellah argued to turn back. She knew what she was doing was extremely dangerous and stupid, but this is what she wanted! She would make to Sabrina! She could at least do that! She would prove to everyone what she could do and show them who she was. Most importantly she would show herself. There was no more room for doubt in her heart. Izzellah Ignacia Ivory could do this. She felt the soft earth between her toes. She could hear the voices of children laughing. She would head that way first.


Everyone please remain calm and watch where you step.” Mrs. Nelson announced to the party guests. Most of the children were either swimming or in the bouncy house and most of the parents were chatting on the deck. There was a decent chance Izzellah hadn’t been hurt yet. Gloria continued to follow the arrow while inspecting the ground she was nearing the bouncy castle.

“Please be on the lookout for Izzellah Ivory. She’s two inches tall. And please stay off the grass” The crowd of parents gasped and started to murmur amongst themselves. A couple even took off their shoes and started searching.

Her husband  jogged over to her from his grill station at the other side of the lawn. Mrs. Nelson winced at every step he took with his heavy workmans boots that mangled dirt and grass with his heavy footfalls.

“Did you really lose that small girl?” He asked.

“Did you lose your brain, Abe!” Mrs. Nelson seethed.

“Oh shit!” Coach Abe checked both his shoes and sighed in relief not to find a tiny corpse splattered underneath.

“And she’s not lost!” Mrs. Nelson informed. “We know she’s in the backyard. Gloria had her chipped. She’ll be found any minute. Either take off those damned boots and help look or try to keep the kids off the grass/”

“Yes ma’am!” Coach Abe saluted.


Izzy heard the announcement and doubled her pace. It was only a matter of time until her game was up. Soon someone would find her, whether it was Brenda, or a parent, or her mom, or maybe even Roscoe soon this adventure would be over. She at least wanted something to show for it. She had to get to Sabrina. She had to show her that Izzellah Ivory was still her big sister. That she still had one to rely on! Izzellah Ivory wasn’t helpless! She could hear something. It was a rumbling sound and a whoosh like compressed air. The laughing was getting louder. The bounce house! She was near the bounce house. Sabrina was talking about it. That would be fun! Maybe she could enjoy that even with Sabrina’s dumb friends. Maybe she could-


CRASH!


Izzellah was sent flying back as something collided hard into her right side. It felt like she’d been hit by a freight train. She reeled backward as pain shot throughout her body. Multiple lightning strikes of agony struck each nerve. Her world spun. Everything was doubled. She tried to stand back up. It didn’t matter what hit her or if she was hurt she had to get back to Sabrina! She had to-

BAM! She was hit again. This time she was launched backward what seemed like a mile to her. She found herself looking skyward. The last thing she saw was a the bottom of a black and red sneaker before it came down upon her.

CRUSH!......Izzellah Ignacia Ivory blacked out.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Get it? Because Izzellah had a heart to heart with her crush and she got crushed! Haha!......sorry. This chapter ended up longer than I intended when I looked it over which is why it got split up. 

There is still one chapter left. I hope you stick with me to see how this mess ends. See you next time.