- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

First story! Yay!

The rating is R because PG seems a bit questionable, and its better safe than sorry.

 

Author's Chapter Notes:

First chapter in first story! Yay!

 


 

List of characters (as of right now)

- Katie (mission commander)

- Kelly (biological specalist)

- Steven (mission control dude, high school friend of Katie)

 


 

The planet Marnia was undiscovered to Humans long after we thought that we had discovered the entire Solar System. Marnia is a rather large planet (about twice the size of Earth) but spins very fast, which conviently made the gravity felt on the surface to be the exact same as Earth's. This planet is located directly opposite of the Earth in the same orbit, and orbits at the same speed, which explains why Earthlings have never discovered the planet and also somewhat explains Earth's elliptical orbit. After all, we Earthlings like to go far from our planet, not cross the Sun and see what follows (or leads) us in our orbit.

Probes sent to Marnia show that liquid water flows on the surface, as well as an ambundance of oxygen in the atmosphere. The surface of the planet seems green, which leads scientists to believe that plant life also exists. Everything was in place for a manned landing, except...

Just the day before, a large portion of a sealing wall fractured on Luna Transfer's outer wall. Due to the urgency of the situtation, NASA sent its A team (5 males, 1 female) to the station for immedate repairs, which left zero male astronauts at the launch pad and 4 females. Due to the relationship between Katie and Steven, Katie and Kelly were chosen for the mission, which was due to launch the next day due to Venus' transit of the Sun, which would help save many thousand dollars in fuel.

 


 

June 6th, 2066, 0606 Eastern Time

Launch was perfect, the winds were even helping blow the rocket towards Venus for the gravity assisted maneuver, which would "slingshot" the lander fast enough to travel by the Sun and land on Marnia, with the help of some rockets, of course.

June 7th, 2066, 1200 Eastern Time

Overheat in oxygen tank 1, lander is 1500 miles too close to the Sun. Temperature readout inside oxygen tank 1: 500 degrees, critical temperature: 750 degrees.

June 8th, 2066, 1200 Eastern Time

Situation contained, temperature readout inside oxygen tank 1: -40 degrees. 15 million miles above Cornona.

July 4th, 2066, 1337 Eastern Time

In orbit around Marnia.

July 5th, 2066, 1200 Eastern Time

Ready for atmospheric entry.

July 6th, 2066, 1538 Eastern Time

Radio blackout due to atmospheric entry.

July 6th, 2066, 1600 Eastern Time

Attempted contact with lander, failure.

July 6th, 2066, 1630 Eastern Time

Attempted contact with lander, failure.

July 6th, 2066, 1700 Eastern Time

Attempted contact with lander, failure.

July 6th, 2066, 1719 Eastern Time

Lost radio contact with lander, emergency radio reboot failure.

July 6th, 2066, 1749 Eastern Time

Emergency radio reboot failure

July 6th, 2066, 1750 Eastern Time

Lost all contact with lander

July 6th 2066, 1751 Eastern Time

Radio awaiting response for 1 month, after which crew is assumed dead and mission would terminate.

August 6th, 2066, 1751 Eastern Time

Mission end.

Crew assumed dead.

 


Kelly seemed to have passed out from the shock. The readings from the autopilot are simple: TOTAL SYSTEM FAILURE. Both girls can fly the spacecraft, but only Kelly can land it. "The autopilot must have been destroyed by the overheating oxygen tank", Katie thought. The radio silence caused by the atmospheric entry isn't helping, she urgently needed help in flying this bucket of bolts!

50 Miles.

Now Katie was really scared. They were under 50 miles above the surface, but speed is still at 9 500 miles per hour! She started fumbling with the switches and knobs, trying to slow down the craft. Kelly is still showing no signs of awaking, and the craft is showing no signs of slowing down!

25 Miles.

"Shit, how did they design this thing!" Katie screamed. Surely there must be an instruction manual.....?

She dived for the cabinet at the back of the cockpit, opened it, and found 3 guides: takeoff, landing, recovery.

2500 feet.

Pages flew from the book as Katie frantically flipped through the pages in the "Landing" manual. She couldn't help it; the manual was well over a thousand pages long and she is passing through the cloud layer at over 2 000 miles per hour!

1000 feet.

"Pull emergency braking system to slow speed"

500 feet.

Book: "Release parachute at 1000 feet." Katie: "SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTT" Siri: "Whoa there."

400 feet.

"Activate landing boosters at 2 miles"

300 feet.

"Lower landing gears at 250 feet"

200 feet.

"Open main parachute at 250 feet"

100 feet.

"Optimal landing vertical speed is between 0 to -250 feet per minute."

50 feet.

Katie peered at the vertical speed indicator. -589 feet per second.

40 feet.

-434 feet per second.

30 feet.

-365 feet per second.

20 feet.

-264 feet per second.

10 feet.

"SHIIIIITTTTT"

5 feet.

The last thing Katie remembered before blacking out was Kelly pushing the main booster iginition. Then the lander smashed into the ground at -150 feet per second, collapsing the landing gear in a sickening crunch and launching dust everywhere.

 

Chapter End Notes:

To be continued!