- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Julia tries to reach out to her son, Alex. She also drops a surprising revelation on the family.

In the house, the sisters were chatting with each other joyously until their mother walked in and ruined the moment for them. Julia sat down at the kitchen counter across from them as she steered herself forcefully into her daughters conversation. The situation was awkward, but Jessica soon soothed it out. Julia was thinking about how the absence of Jessica will dramatically affect the family, since Jessica will no longer be here to hold the family together. She did not even see the point in Jessica going to college since she was already rich. Little did she know that Jessica needed a break from the family, which was long overdue. Jessica is a nineteen year old millionaire, who had to manage several businesses and act as a mother to her siblings in her mother's place. Jessica was worn out from all of her stress and responsibilities and just wanted to act her own age for once with people her own age. You could not blame her, because she had over thirteen years of a role that was not meant for her, even more for a child her age to take upon those responsibilities. 
 
As the three were chatting and trying to patch up the tears that had accumulated all of those years, grandfather came in. He went directly to the refrigerator and got some orange juice as he gave a quick greeting to Jessica, then left. He did not like or respect his daughter's decisions, so he did not act in false pretense around her. He despised his daughter, so he would not talk to her unless his wife or Alex was around. Also even though he told Alex that D'erica was here for him, he was absolutely disgusted by her also. D'erica was born a intersex with a male organ between her legs and as she grew older, she also started to grow breast. She had the facial complexion of an extremely attractive young lady as well as a womanly figure, which he thought was so disgusting because you could not tell what she was by her outward appearance. He regretted the only person in the family that did not know this alarming detail about her was Alex, however the family had decided it was better for him not to know this detail because they knew his tendencies and they wanted to salvage a relationship between the two. They knew D'erica would have a hard time in the world and she would need the love of her family to comfort her as society frowned down upon her.
 
After he left, his daughter Julia gave a bitter mocking smile to herself as she tried to stay tuned to the conversation she was having with her daughters. Yet, she was not succeeding. She knew her father's disgust for having a grandchild like D'erica and a disappointment of a child like her. She actually went on trips to get away from the judgemental eyes of her family and believe it or not, she has not had sex since the results of the blood test for D'erica, which conflicted with what her family thought of her. She wanted to develop a relationship with her family, but the two men left in her life, did not want anything to do with her. She gave a mocking depressing smile as she excused herself from her daughters, then she went outside. D'erica and Jessica could have sworn they saw a tear fall out of their mother's eyes as she exited, D'erica wanted to run to their mother, but Jessica held her back. Jessica knew her mother was hurting from the lack of affection from her family that she longed for, but could not have. She also knew her mother was going to the garden to try to talk to Alex, which is one of the reasons she held D'erica back.
 
Alex and his grandmother were engrossed in gardening and did not see Julia approach. When Julia entered his vision, Alex's entire demeanor completely changed and looked as if he was going to ask his grandmother could he be excused. His grandmother gave him a bleak smile with a stern expression as she grabbed his hand to squeeze it gently as he gazed up into her crystal blue eyes, then watched his mother approach as he took in a deep breath to calm his nerves as he stayed.
 
"Mother I see that your garden is developing well! Everything looks so delicious, I know you can not wait for it all to ripen! It looks like Alex and you have worked up quite a sweat out here...do you mind if I help?"
 
Alex was about to tell his mother that they do not need her help, but his grandmother squeezed his hand not so gently this time.
 
"Sure, knock yourself out." said Alex in a dull tone.
 
His mother Julia beamed a smile as she enthusiastically said okay. His grandmother smiled as she passed her daughter some gloves and a small hoe as she also got a conversation gradually started between all three of them, even though it was awkward at first, but gradually grew more comfortable; however, Alex still did not fully draw into the conversation. The fact that Alex was even talking to her, greatly delighted Julia. She decided a decision in her heart at this very moment. 
 
Grandfather was at the window smiling as he looked down at the three in the garden. He thought to himself it was probably time to forgive his daughter, yet it was truly hard for him to do so. He thought if Alex, the one who suffered the most due to his daughter's negligence was able to try and work something out with his daughter, he should be able to muster up some effort also. D'erica really affected him though, he was shocked when his wife told him about her, since his daughter was too ashamed to tell him. He knew he was not the easiest person to open up to, but the fact his daughter did not tell him, indeed added fuel to the fire. It was time for bygones to be bygones and see how far the relationships in the family can heal. 
 
Alex bitterly forced himself to remain in the predicament he was in. He did not want to be here, yet, out of respect for his grandmother, he remained. He owed his grandmother Susan a lot, so whatever she would ask of him, he would definitely do it, no matter how he felt. His mother kept on brushing up against him as she was gardening, which caused their eyes to meet several times that sent shivers down his spine as she gazed at him affectionately. For some reason whenever his mother gazed at him, he always felt strange... 
 
Susan excused herself, so that she could go make dinner, therefore leaving the mother and son duo to their own musings. When Alex's grandmother left, he felt confused because he did not know if she was giving him permission to leave or not, therefore he chose to stay, since it seemed a safe bet. 
 
Julia knew the situation was awkward, but she knew this was a golden opportunity for her. She stood up and walked over to Alex, who had moved over by the carrots when her mother left to get away from her, then she sat down on her knees beside him to help him till the ground as she reached over to grab a bucket to put the weeds and so forth in, but Alex was reaching for the bucket also. Their hands eventually ran into each other. Alex felt as if an electric current ran through him, he took his concentration from the ground to see what stopped him from receiving the bucket and found himself looking into his mother's tear-stricken big sea-green eyes. He hurriedly tried to pull his hand back, but his mother grabbed his hand firmly. He felt violated, this stranger has touched him, he thought. If Julia knew what he had thought, she would probably kill herself there and now.
 
Julia tried to find words to say, but she kept stammering the word "I". She sounded like a broken record to Alex, who was growing even more irritated and disgusted as he shudder from her touch. Julia finally mustered up some courage and said, "I am sorry!"
 
It was like fire works exploded and locks opened from inside his very soul, yet his words that followed were a complete contradiction to how he felt.
 
"Let go of me now!" said Alex in an icy tone.
 
Julia was shocked, but this was not out of her expectations. Due to Julia not taking care of her motherly responsibilities, she did not know this was the very time to embrace Alex in her bosom and for the both of them to cry out their past frustrations. She was only a mother in title, so of course she let go of Alex's hand and bitterly muffled her cries as Alex ran off into the distance. Julia just sat their crying, asking God to heal her relationship with her son as saliva, snot, and tears streamlined her face.
 
Alex was huffing and puffing as he ran as fast as his legs could carry him, then fell brokenly to the ground when he could carry on no longer. Tears constantly rolled off of his face as he laughed bitterly at himself for acting like a child. He just stayed there on the ground and cried his heart out with nothing but the sounds of nature in the forest to accompany him.
 
Grandfather was still standing by the window, gazing down, when the previous scene happened. He laughed bitterly at the situation and in his mind, he thought this was at least progress. He left the view at the window and went downstairs to tell his wife what happened. Susan almost dropped her pot roast she was about to place on the table. Her hand slapped her forehead as she murmured "that girl", then ran outside the house into the direction of the forest after she asked her husband Jeff to go comfort his daughter. Jeff reluctantly agreed as he watched her run off to not even wait before she could hear his reply.
 
Susan was in shape, which was alarming due to her being fifty three years old. In spite of this, she ran just as fast as Alex did previously, if not faster and her breathing was not even stirred. Susan eventually ran until she stumbled upon Alex and she heavily embraced him, which caused him to pour his heart out even more into her warm bosom. Susan rubbed her grandson's back as she said the words "I know" over and over into his ear as she ruffled his hair also.
 
Jeff hesitantly walked his way over to where his daughter was. He kept giving himself a prep talk as he got closer and closer to the moment he dreaded. 
 
"Julia I am here..." said Jeff as he stood a small distance away from her.
 
She broke out of her crying stupor and gazed up upon her father shocked.
 
"Daddy" the word came out brokenly from her mouth.
 
Jeff saw his daughter disheveled appearance, which caused him to break down inside. He fell down on his knees onto the dirt and pulled his daughter into his arms, where they both cried for what seemed like an eternity.
 
Completely unaware of this situation, Jessica and D'erica minds and soul were captivated in the racing game they were playing on the ps4. Their grandmother's voice yelling for them to come downstairs for dinner shook their attention. The sisters paused the game and ran downstairs, where they saw that everyone had red eyes and grandmother had some tear stains strewn all over her white blouse and apron, while grandfather's shirt was disheveled also. Their mother and brother's skin on their face looked tender. It did not take a rocket scientist to tell what happen, Jessica could tell just by a glance. D'erica was about to say something, but Jessica stopped her.
 
The family made their way over to the dining room, where an awkward silence followed them as they began to eat the food. Jessica tried to get conversation several times, but her grandmother was the only one that responded, so she stopped trying. It was silent for what seemed like a long time to the family until Julia broke it.
 
"I plan on staying"