- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry for the delay, after hitting a personal milestone with the last chapter I needed a breather as we head further into the latter half of the story.

After a half hour of napping or so Ingrid stirred awake. Accustomed to Tanner sometimes falling asleep on her body when they watched television or movies together she was cognizant not to move too much and only propped her head up first to see that he was already conscious. “How long have you been up?”

“I dunno, fifteen minutes maybe? It was hard to sleep through you snoring.” Tanner pointed out to his step-sister's chagrin. For better or worse his size made him quite sensitive to noise and thus a very light sleeper.

“As if you don’t?” Ingrid grunted, usually a hard person to fluster one of the few things that could do it was Tanner pointing out her not so charming habits.

“The difference being I don't sound like a wildebeest when I do it.” He responded pointing out the vast difference in decibels their snoring produced.

“I can’t help it.” She scoffed.

Hearing some of their small talk Julie came downstairs to check on their progress. After a rare occurrence of her emotional side seeping through she had ample time to return to her dry self. Seeing them bicker over their sleeping habits was perplexing, but definitive progress to see them going back and forth as typical siblings do. “You both look like you’re getting along better.”

 

Both Tanner and Ingrid halted their squabbling and glanced at one another to see if the other had an objection before nodding in unison. “Yeah.”

“That’s great. On that note, I should ask if anyone has anything else they have to say before I leave?”

Ingrid shook her head, however Tanner nodded.

Reconciling with Ingrid was high on the agenda, but there was something else to be addressed that he neglected for far too long. “There is one last thing I need to say.”

Presuming it was meant for her Ingrid elevated her small sibling. “What's the matter Tanner?”

“I need to talk to Marcelle.” He elaborated.

“Marcelle?!” Ingrid parroted.

“And I need to do it alone.” Tanner expounded.

“What!?” Ingrid shouted again, forcing her step-brother who was near her booming voice to cover his ears to preserve his hearing capability.

“Do you mind?”

“Err-sorry, but what’s so important that you need to talk to her all of a sudden and alone?!” Ingrid tried to calm herself but Tanner’s declaration out of nowhere left her too riled.

“Ingrid please.” Tanner did not want her pressing the topic.

“Tanner what has she been doing to you?” Despite being worked up Ingrid's question was spoken with a cold seriousness. Her hand was steady up until that point and Tanner began to struggle to keep his balance as her palm shook.

He knew she had her buttons and a competitive streak a mile long, however he came up empty when he tried to think of times where he's seen her genuinely angry. Upon entertaining the thought, he suspected that was something intentional on her part because there was no hiding that she was livid right now.

“Ingrid, it’s my business I have to handle it.” It unnerved him just to watch her struggle to contain herself, there were dozens of retorts rumbling in her mind but she could tell his mind was already made up and they were at a standstill until one of them budged.

Ingrid wanted to commend Tanner for being brave and all, but why do this just to prove a point? She experienced first-hand the type of person Marcelle was and in her mind Tanner was the perfect target for her to torment. Marcelle used to always try her until she grew up more and was no longer easy to push around. That problem was nonexistent with Tanner, time has only made him smaller and easier to subject to her whims without him having a fighting chance. If left unchecked Marcelle would make him her whipping boy for life. No matter how hard she tried Ingrid couldn’t keep an eye on Tanner 24/7 and at any instance he was alone she just knew Marcelle was terrorizing him. Ingrid wanted nothing more than to be done with her for good, but not at the cost of devastating Tanner.

In the chaotic balancing act between his independence and physical limitations salvaging any bit of self-reliance meant the world to him which subsequently made Ingrid very conscientious about acting on his behalf. It always lingered in her conscience if that would be helpful or harmful in the long term. There were times she’s seen Tanner being picked on and asked if he wanted her to do something about it and he declined. Yet in instances where she interjected, it left him demoralized. Ugh, why did this have to be so difficult? She understood how emasculating that must be for a guy having someone else fight for them let alone a girl. It was truly a lose-lose situation, she’d never forgive herself if Marcelle too far in an incident that she couldn’t prevented. On the flip side if she took matters into her own hands, even if it was out of kindness he’d interpret the act with the underlying message that she didn’t think he could handle it.

Seeing the conversation at a standstill Julie interjected. “Ingrid, he’s set on his decision. You have to respect it.” She advised.

It was true, but a difficult fact for her to accept nonetheless. “...Alright.” She reluctantly admitted.

“I'll go get Marcelle.” Julie said and left for upstairs.

“I'm not going to ask what's going on, but I hope you know what you're doing Tanner.” Ingrid advised, more than anything because she didn’t trust herself not to do anything if he brought any of Marcelle’s actions to her attention.

“Something I needed to do for a long time.” It wasn't something he could easily explain; from any logical standpoint it'd be far easier for him to ask for help. Yet he's taking the gamble to tackle it himself. He was at a point in his life where he needed assistance for nearly everything, this problem should be no different, but it was. Marcelle has thrown everything including the kitchen sink at him in terms of tormenting and belittling him. Yeah, he had something to prove and letting someone else take care of the problem was not going to satisfy him. He mentally braced himself for what he expected to be another difficult conversation once he heard the taps of her footsteps on the stairs.

Stepping into the living room with one of her fake rosy smiles she set sights on Ingrid. “I believe Julie told me this was supposed to be an A and B conversation.” For no other purpose than to get her out of the way.

Boy what Ingrid would give to punch Marcelle in that smug face. She gave Tanner a last glance maintaining a last bit of hope that he'd have a change of heart. One request and she’d make sure Marcelle wouldn’t get near him again. Unfortunately, Tanner stuck to his guns and she had to trust in his judgment. Against her personal desires she obliged and lowered her hand for him to step onto the sofa. Whether Marcelle knew it or not, she was walking in a field of landmines where one wrong move will result in her getting involved, something she reflected by giving Marcelle a bump in her shoulder as she walked past her.

Paying no mind to the act of aggression she was only interested in making sure Ingrid was long gone before stepping forward. Déjà vu was in the air and Tanner thought back to the mistakes from the last time he tried to have a serious conversation with her. Assertion, confidence, and conviction were his key words, and what he lacked last time. He paid for it dearly, by Marcelle asserting dominance and walking all over him.

First things first, Tanner was not interested in talking to Marcelle while she stood over him. It was a subtle and effective act to reinforce how much bigger she was than him and in the past made him doubt himself, this had to be addressed straight away. “Can you sit down?”

“Whoops, sorry. I sometimes forget how teeny you are.” She lied with a giggle. She turned around and leaned over granting Tanner a view of her ass that was right in his trajectory should she choose to sit down. No doubt she was trying to make him believe that she'd sit on him again, but she subverted expectations and shifted over before taking a seat. Though she still loomed large over him the act at least metaphorically established they were on even footing.

“What business does my favorite little cousin have with me?”

There was no point in dragging it out or beating around the bush, he was going to lay out his cards from the start. “It’s time for you to leave Marcelle.”

“Aw, and here I thought you wanted me to stay longer.” She cooed in her sickeningly sweet tone.

“I don't want you here anymore and I'm not putting up with you any longer.” He doubled down. He was going to leave no room for interpretation or for her to get in his head.

“You're going to break my heart.” She pouted, but Tanner wasn't done.

“Also, you're going to tell Ivory what really happened at college and that you're expelled.” That statement drew Marcelle out of her patronizing pout and into listening with a straight face.

“And why would I do that?”

“Because if you don’t tell her, I will.” Tanner made sure to look dead in her eyes and articulate his words to the upmost precision to leave her with no doubt that he meant it.

“It’ll be your word versus mine.” Marcelle countered, confident in her ability to fabricate a convincing story.

“All it’d take is one phone call to the right faculty to verify who's telling the truth.” Tanner rebuked.

“Hmm.” Marcelle audibly mused while tapping her chin. She had every reason to be worried now and if it were anyone else laying out this threat she’d be in a pickle, luckily it was not anyone, it was Tanner. Against him she had an ace in the hole that was always readily available and that she loved abusing. Her sheer size and might, the ultimate equalizer that he could never hope to match and always frightened him into submission. “Teeny Tanner is talking VERY BIG right now.” Dropping the cordiality Marcelle stood back up to remind him of the gaping difference between them, but Tanner stood firm. Marcelle crossed her arms, partly to appear more menacing though irritation was beginning to surface. That act alone should’ve been enough to make him tremble, looks like it was time to up the ante.

She expected him to flinch, gasp, protest, or break for it as she lowered her hand to grab him; instead he stood there and let her engulf him in her grasp.

Make no mistake about it, being trapped in Marcelle’s hand brought him a foreboding sense of danger, he couldn’t afford to show her that. His strategy thus far was working; he wasn’t out of the woods yet.

“I wonder what I'd have to do to make you reconsider.” The breath from her words encompassed Tanner. She subjected him to a piercing gaze, one meant to cut him down and make him feel small and powerless in her grasp; still no reaction. Marcelle's face tightened in a flash of anger, he usually cracked by now, why was today different? “So, what suddenly got into you? A few days ago, you’re trying anything you can to keep me off your back and now you’re actually blackmailing me?”

“I finally had enough with taking your shit.” He earnestly answered.

“I'm sure you had enough taking my shit years ago, but that didn't stop you from doing it anyway.” She inferred.

“Yeah, well I'm not afraid of you anymore.” He had to admit that one was a bit of a stretch, even in her irritation Marcelle didn’t believe it and laughed.

“Really now? Even I can admit that I’d be afraid if I were in your shoes. You’re an ant who lives around regular people that could end you effortlessly. You have to be either stupid or crazy not to be afraid.”

There was no denying that nor was there any denying that it was a thought that’s crossed Tanner’s mind. “Okay, so what if I'm scared? I'm not going to let myself be ruled by it.”

“Aw, you're so brave Tanner. You won’t be ruled by your fear? Not even if I told you, I was furious and will crush you in my hand if you don’t keep your mouth shut?” Her grip closed tighter and drawing breath became a chore for Tanner. He was in too deep and he was only going deeper.

“Enough of the crap already! You’re not going to do it!”

Her grip tightened again making Tanner groan in anguish while more air was expunged from his body. “Oh, you think I won't?”

Life at his size came with all sorts of mundane perils where some of the most conventional actions or occurrences had the potential to be life threatening. The gradual nature of his shrinking at least allowed him some time to get acclimated to the substantial changes in his life. This is all to say contrary to what some may believe there had only been a handful of times where Tanner legitimately believed he was going to die. This was one of those times, he had blackmail over her, but she had the threat of physical violence on him. It wasn’t too late, he could back down, she’d probably make him do something humiliating, but hey that’s nothing new to him. He refused to though, to think saying a single word was going to be one of the most difficult things he’s ever done in his life. He was in the middle of Venus flytrap and his next move might make it shut completely. A drop of sweat ran down his neck. “No.”

“…”

“…”

“…”

“…”

He was still in her vice grip like clutches, however he emotionally felt his relief grow for every second that passed without her doing anything. If she was going to go all the way, chances are she would've done so the instant he said no. “Admit it.” He said, once he felt lax enough to talk again.

Marcelle sighed, it didn’t carry a depressed or defeated tone. She sounded as if she was mildly inconvenienced. She sat back down on the couch and dropped Tanner onto her lap. “Well, you’ve just become a lot less fun.”

Tanner’s jaw hung upon as he stood back up on his feet. He couldn’t believe it; she didn't do anything. That meant it was over... right?

“...That's it?” He thought he was masochistically testing fate with that question; getting off unscathed for the most part seemed too good to be true, only in his dreams would things have gone that well.

“I mean poking fun and teasing you is one thing. But I'm not a murderer and crushing you would be pretty gross, I don't want your blood and guts all over my hand.” She casually explained.

The dots were not connecting, forget the fact that psychologically terrorizing him in her mind was ‘poking fun and teasing’. “So, you mean to tell me that all I had to do was call your bluff and it would've stopped?”

Marcelle shrugged. “You'll always be fun to pick on, but it added a little something extra to see you scared when you really thought I'd step on you or eat you or something.”

He just didn't understand, everything she did to him and now she's sitting here nonchalantly acting like it was no big deal. He needed to know the reason and now that the tomfoolery was over and done with she'd hopefully give him one. “Why? What was the point?”

Marcelle silently stared, aware that he was expecting a grand elaborate answer and she only looked to raise the suspense before delivering what was going to dash his expectations in the form of the simplest explanation. “Because I can.”

Tanner stood motionless trying to digest her response, what the hell was wrong with her? She could do it so she did? It was so basic, yet simultaneously complex. Something he's been dying to know for the longest boiled down to something so... anticlimactic. “You know I’m pretty disappointed. Maybe I read too many books or seen too many movies, but I always thought you had some sort of hidden animosity towards me, jealously, or maybe I did something to piss you off years ago that you wanted to get back at me for. Now I realize that I was thinking too highly of you. You're nothing more than lying, spoiled bitch in sheep's clothing. I thought something was different about you, but it turns out you're the same as every other bully I've come across who has to pick on the smallest person they can find to feel good about herself.” He wouldn't have dared to say any of that prior to this; the security knowing that she wouldn't maim him combined with his pent up frustration left him feeling bold.

“So?” She responded unphased by his verbal onslaught. “Am I supposed to be like Ingrid or Ivory and act nice just to pity you? I won't. Am I supposed to feel bad because you’re a tiny runt? I don't. Despite the fact I’m big enough to practically be God compared to you, I’m supposed to act like you’re my equal? You're not.”

Tanner gritted his teeth, she was freaking incorrigible. They were speaking from such fundamentally different places, that they may as well have been speaking separate languages to one another. These past few moments he thought he was making progress and only realized he was running on a treadmill. What the fuck was he thinking? That he could actually reason with Marcelle? There wasn't anyone on the planet who he hated, however she was in the top spot of people he held genuine contempt for.

His judgment clouded by emotions he ran up the length of her lap up onto the waistline of her denim shorts and started to pound away at her midsection. “You're so infuriating! All the crap you've put me through and you're going to sit here like it's no big deal!? You don't even care?!” Blow after ineffective blow Tanner threw, unaware of Marcelle's glowing grin now that he was granting her what she wanted this whole time and what he was trying to avoid, control over his emotions. “We're supposed to be family!”

She was beyond entertained watching his futile efforts of trying to hurt her and pinched his shirt collar to bring him inches away from her face, grinning as he continued to flail at the air. “Family?” She laughed. “Why should I recognize a 3 inch pipsqueak as family? If you were living under my roof you'd be like, I dunno... a pet.”

“I am not a pet.” Tanner growled, ceasing his thrashing.

“Aren’t you though? You’re tiny like a pet. You need larger and more capable people to do things for you like a pet. You live in a cute little house like a pet. Ivory and Ingrid need to coddle you and are the only reasons their wittle pet is alive.” She demeaned with her child talk and tapping Tanner's nose.

Tanner shook his head to get her finger out of his face. “I can't believe you. I can't believe I actually thought we could...”

“Thought what?” Marcelle butted in bringing Tanner even closer to where he could feel her exhales on his body and whispered. “That maybe we could understand each other? Reach a resolution? Become friends?” Her words cut with surgical precision and made Tanner reflect on his ignorant wishful thinking in hindsight.

Seeing that he had no rebuttal, she figured her assumption was correct. “Aww, poor little Tanner. Even after all I did, you still want me to accept you? It must be pretty lonely living the way you do, stuck in place, and not being able to meet new people. Isn't it ironic? You call me a liar, yet you continually lie to yourself. No matter how hard you try to keep it together and act like you're in control of your life you aren't.”

Tanner again didn't have a word to offer that could've refuted her claim.

“It's a shame I'm going to have to tell Ivory the truth and leave tomorrow, but don't worry you'll always be my favorite little pet- I mean cousin.” She smiled at her convenient mess up of words and puckered her lips to give Tanner a melodramatic kiss. “I take it we're done here?”

Tanner nodded and Marcelle lowered him back onto the sofa and stood up.

“We're finished Julie!” She announced for her to hear.

Before she left for upstairs Marcelle blew a last patronizing kiss. “C'ya later Tanner.”

It was a mixed bag to say the least, that was closest thing to a serious conversation that they ever had. He expected to learn something new about her and instead had everything he already knew reaffirmed. Incorrigible, conniving, and devious... Yep, that was the Marcelle he knew, that was the person she was, and probably the person she always will be.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Comments and opinions are appreciated.