- Text Size +

"Honey, I am home!"

Marlin said, entering his house satisfied, after another day at work. He knew that his wife was preparing dinner at home for him as usual. Aava was a very nice girl who always followed Marlin wherever he went. She was very loyal. Marlin was the old school type, who liked his woman to be at home preparing dinner, and did not like the idea of women working outside of the house.


"This smells good, baby" he approached. "Of course! because it is made with love".

It did not help but assert Marlin's dominant stance over Aava even further that he towered over her in height. Her petite figure was at five feet even, while his was 6'1".


On the dinner table, the two were conversing, and Aava brought up her recent college graduation.

"So I have been looking at job offerings lately, and I found an open position for a company called BioGen that is hiring for for pharmacists who are developing new better pharmaceuticals. The info I found said that they have a starting pay of over $100,000 a year! wouldn't that be awesome?"


Aava just recently finished up pharmacy school. Yes, Marlin married her while she was studying. Typical conservative style. Upon hearing her bring up this open position, Marlin panicked. After years of moving up, he is only now making $100k per year. This was a frightening idea for Marlin.


"Honey, I understand your enthusiasm about your degree. But I honestly don't think we need it, Think about it. Soon,  we will have a child of our own. If we're both working, who would raise the child?"


"But baby, this means so much more money for us. You already cover the expenses, so just think what we can do with an extra $100k per year! Plus, when the kid comes, I could just be on maternal leave".


'$100,000 a year? I have been working for years now, and barely make that same amount. She's gonna get a head start at that number ... thats going to be absolutely humiliating! She's going to exceed me in income. What will people think of me? I will be defeated by a woman! I can't afford to let this happen.'


They both stood up, and Marlin approached his wife, trying to talk her out of her decision.

"Honey ... you might need to rethink this. Don't you think this would be too much? I mean ... not the income, but the effort it would take? and you know businesses don't like it when someone takes on maternal leave. They would be really angry at you. I think you should just forget anout this idea".


A sad face suddenly overtook Aava's innocent face, as she looked up at Marlin and said "Okay ... you know best". A wave of guilt suddenly overtook him. 'I have no choice ... sorry' he thought to himself.

 
Suddenly, a voice out of nowhere echoed all over the room, saying "selfish, human being. You chose your own benefit over your partner's. You shall face my wrath". He looked at Aava and noticed that she was still in his embrace, as if she hadn't heard anything.


"What was that?" he said. "what was what? what are you talking about?" feeling relieved, he said "nothing ... I just thought I heard something"

Suddenly, right before his eyes, he saw Aava's head rising. Aava has always been a small girl, with the top of her head barely reaching his shoulder. Her head was climbing up, and suddenly he was frightened. "What the - whats happening?!" when his wife's head was level with his chin.

"what did you say? what do you mean what's happening?"


"what - you're saying you didn't see this? you're just suddenly up to my chin?"


"What do you mean, Marlin? you're not making any sense. I've always been up to your chin, unless I am wearing heels".


"What are you talking about? you usually reach only up to my shoulder. Have you forgotten?"

Aava began to giggle "Honey there is no way. You know very well I am NOT that much shorter than you. You're like, 8 inches taller than me. I know that's a lot, but it's not THAT much".


" What!!? I am like 6'1". you were like barely 5 feet".


"Honey ... are you okay? you are not making sense. You've always been 5'10", and I am 5'2" 


"Marlin's heart sank. How come is she saying that? she knows I am not that tall. What just happened. Does it have to do with this weird voice he heard?


"Look, you just suddenly grew right in front of me, and I don't know how you didn't see it. But I can prove it. Here, I have our picture in my wallet. You'll see how you've always been up to my shoulder".


Pulling the picture out and acknowledging the ugly reality, Marlin was shocked. It's like ... reality shifted. Things just suddnely changed. "No way ..."


"Honey you must be ... Just tired. Just go get some rest and you'll be fine".