- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Franchise Writer here this time, don't worry, Sterben's back here and well as well. He just wanted me to make the chapter note for him this time for... reasons. Ask him, not me lol.

Either way, apparently there was some questions on why Eve is having such a big spotlight put on her over the last few chapters and the blame of that falls on me. When this story was first made every character had a role, except 2. One of which was Eve's and Sterben asked me to be the one to fill it. It ended up being one of romance with the main character, Abby.

Now, from what I've been told the story has gone through some rework on Sterben's part and thus, everything I had developed for Eve is still here but to a much greater extent. I don't know all of the changes either he has planned because a certain someone says, "It's a surprise! :3" every time I inquire. -.-

Regardless, I've done some cutting for Eve and her full story has been watered down. I know that there is a lot to read for her but It is important to her role, and to Najia's as well. I structured a lot on her shoulders so that would be why she seems like a main character. In essance, she is. But, Sterben's actively trying to work with the other girls to. I know a little bit about whats coming next so I wont spoil anything but don't worry, the others will have more attention soon enough.

For now, enjoy the last few chapters with Eve, and we'll be getting back to the present soon enough.

 

Franchise Writer, out~.

 

 

“You know… you’re going to have to answer me at some point. Why not just get it out of the way now instead of screaming?”

 

Sipping from a small porcelain bowl she cradled in her hands, a disquieted blonde woman stared across the small fire in front of her as she looked at the bound child currently thrashing and whining through her restraints, her red eyes staring at her wide and full of terror.

Pursing her lips as she sipped another small mouthful of her meal, the older woman soon closed her eyes gently before letting a soft and calming sigh. “We’ve been sitting like this ever since you awoke kit. Why do you keep screaming like you do whenever I uncover your mouth? Wouldn’t you rather we simply talk instead? Look, I even made us something to eat! You must be terribly hungry. I might have given you my essence but that doesn’t mean food won’t fill your middle either.” She whispered calmly.

Seeing no change in the fearful child’s actions, the blonde gentle sighed once more. “Can I at least get a name out of you, kit? Please?” Crying as she watched the monstrous creature in front of her, Eveline sniffled as she tried to loosen the beings hold on her. Her tail, it was so strong! Why did she have a tail?! Why did she have multiple of them?! What was she! Who was she! Why was she here?! Where were her parents! She wanted her Daddy!

‘D-Daddy…’ Feeling the struggling from within her captives furry prison dwindle slowly, the blonde hummed quietly before letting her tail sag slightly as it fell away from the younger girls mouth. “Ready to talk?”

Staring off distantly as the word echoed in her mind, Eveline furrowed her brow as she remembered something, well, multiple somethings. She could see her room. It was a mess. And, and she was on the streets… it was raining. Was she running?

Shaking her head slowly as she tried to figure out how she got into this, it soon became apparent that her restraints had been lifted. Snapping back to the present in an instant, Eveline screeched once again before trying to take off… only for her ankle to suddenly be latched onto as she fell to the ground in pain.

“Seriously?” Giving the child an inexplicable look, the blonde let out another exhausted sigh before entombing her once more as her tail twirled around her body to keep her bound. “You’re not going anywhere kit until you answer me. So in essence, until we clarify a few things, I’m going to keep you like this until you’re willing to talk. Now, are you hungry? I’ll feed you myself If I have to.” She warned as one of her other tails lifted up the small pot that rested over the embers.

Wiggling vainly once more, Eveline glared at the stranger in front of her as she saw the monster moving closer towards her. “S-S-Stay away!” Blinking in surprise as she finally spoke, the older woman soon smiled before retreating back to her seat. “Very well. See, I’m listening. Now, let’s, talk.” She muttered her words quietly as she tried to make the child as at peace as she could.

Staring back at one another, one with anger and the other with empathy, Eveline knew she had to say something or else this creature would never release her. Glancing around frantically at her surrounding before feeling the tail that bound her gently clench and unclench. It felt almost calming in a way… Not that it made her current situation any better.

“W-Who are you? And why did you k-kidnap me!” Eveline finally snapped as she glared at the older woman. Blinking slowly, the blonde hummed before tapping her chin in thought. “Kidnap you? Huh, so that’s what they call it here. And here I thought I was taking care of a stray all along.” She chuckled in amusement, though it seemed her joke was lost on the angry girl. Did she really think she was kidnapping her?

Adjusting her posture a bit as she cupped her hands, the older woman shook her head gently before smiling. “To answer your first question, my name is Najia. And I assure you kit, if I kidnapped you then you certainly pulled the wool over my eyes as well. If I had to guess your minds foggy, is it not, almost like you’re missing bits and pieces of your memory. Tell me, do you know what day it is? Or, even where you are?”

Staring the woman down silently, Eveline pouted as she tried to think. She didn’t know actually… “W-What did you do to me?” Smirking now, the blonde chuckled before shaking her head. “I believe it’s my turn to ask you something now, that’s how sharing works. But I’ll answer you once again. I’ve done nothing to you but save you from what was clearly the troubling state I found you in. Now, your name?” She inquired calmly.

Sitting in silence for a moment, Eveline frowned as she knew there was little she could do right now besides simply answering whatever this woman, this, Najia wanted to know. “Eveline… Eveline Ventris. I-Is that why you kidnapped me? B-Because I’m a Ventris…?” She whispered with worry.

Resting her chin on the back of her hand, Najia scowled before shaking her head. “Well Eveline, beautiful name, by the way, you’ll need to get this notion that I’ve abducted you out of your mind. I found you in a feral state, kit. Whoever is your guardian certainly didn't do their job. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a vampire turn feral before.” She groaned.

Giving the woman a blank expression, Eveline soon began to scowl. “V-Vampire…? What are you talking about? And what’s feral?” Opening her eyes back up, Najia was silent as she stared the grubby child over. “Kit… what clan do you hail from?”

Frowning as she was basically spoken to in a different language, Eveline could only shake her head. “W-What clan, what are you talking about? C-Can you just let me go!” Biting her tongue gently as she ground her teeth into it, the woman remained mute as she felt a creeping suspicion now… one she couldn’t believe she was even thinking.

“What clan… Eveline, whose brood do you belong? You said your surname was Ventris, but what group of Vampires do you belong? Your coven kit, what do your coven call themselves?” She snapped, her tone much more serious now.

Shaking in fear as she was barked at, Eveline soon began to struggle again. “W-What vampire, w-what are you even talking about?! Let me go!” Feeling the frantic struggles begin once again, Najia tightened her hold on the child as her eyes narrowed.

“What are you; tell me what you think you are!” She growled. Feeling tears swell up in her eyes, Eveline continued to thrash before feeling her chin cupped by the angry looking woman. When did she even stand!? “Tell me what species you think you are!”

Sobbing, Eveline tried to shake her hold off her face by Najia would have none of that. There was no way, she had to be wrong. This girl had to be goading her! “H-H-Human! I-I’m a human!” She wailed in confusion. Why was she yelling things like this at her!

Releasing her chin, Najia soon stepped back as she stared down at the sniffling child in… in shock. ‘Human?’ She didn’t look like she was lying either. She looked truly terrified… like an actual little girl. “Kit… how old are you?” Trembling in fear, Eveline shook her head as she continued to cry. “S-Six, w-why?”

Cupping her chest gently, the blonde was speechless. The child before her… didn’t even know what she was. ‘You’re an actual kit?’ She thought she was simply converted at that age. But, she was a real child. You could never know a vampires true age unless they told you, and even then most tended to lie. But, she could tell… this was no vampire playing tricks on her. They were much too prideful of beings to act so, pitiful.

Lowering her hands gently as she watched the child sobbing softly, Najia soon pulled her over towards her. “Shhhh, shhhh, shhhh… quiet down kit, I-I’m not going to hurt you, calm down. I'm sorry for yelling...” She whispered, her tone much less hostile now as she cupped crying girl into her.

Whimpering, Eveline continued to shake as she was gently hugged. Why was this creature doing this to her? Petting the younger girl silently, Najia’s eyes grew dark as she continued to hold her close. This was wrong... all so, wrong…

 

Perhaps fate had something planned for her here after all…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

“I'M NOT A MONSTER! I’M A HUMAN!”

 

Rubbing her temple in agitation, Najia shook her head once more as she tried to get it through this child’s thick skull that she really wasn't one of them anymore. “Even if you are a Vampire that doesn’t mean you’re a Monster kit! Stop calling our kind such a thing; you’re now one of us. We’re called Hominal! And yes, yes you are!” She snapped.

She had been trying to explain things to the clueless girl all morning after last night’s disturbing revelations but she was too daft to believe her! Shaking her head furiously, Eveline glared back at Najia before pointing to herself. “M-My names Eveline Elise Ventris, I’m not a Monster!” She screamed again. Clenching her fists angrily, Najia shook her head before sighing.

Her words alone weren't enough to make her see the truth. She was in denial. Though, she couldn’t blame the child. She didn’t know much about her but when she found her she was feral, meaning… her guardians failed her. Vampire covens were very tightly knit. Whoever turned her should have taken her under his or her wings yet, here she was now… confused and clueless to her true nature.

She couldn’t leave her like this… Opening her eyes back up as she saw Eveline puffing out her cheeks angrily, Najia soon pointed to the clearing that rested beside them, the forest having been where she chose to make camp the night before. If she needed to learn what she was this way… then, she would teach her… trial by fire, as it were…

“Fine, *Human*, if you think that you’re still one of them then prove it!” She growled. Scowling back at Najia, Eveline looked to where she was pointing as she tried to figure out what she meant. “If you think you’re not a Vampire so much then… then walk out there! Walk into the sun!” She hissed.

Furrowing her brow, Eveline scowled as she tried to figure out what that even meant. Thankfully the older woman could sense the child’s confusion. “Vampires are photophobic in nature. Their skin is highly susceptible to the sun’s harmful rays because of the change in their biology from Human, to Hominal. To a human, it would be a warm and pleasant feeling… but, to a vampire, the sun as it is now would feel like fire lashing at their skin!” She whispered warningly.

“If you’re so sure… then prove it. You refuse to believe me otherwise, so take matters into your own hands.” If this is what it took… then, so be it. Glancing between the Monster and the open field, Eveline soon felt the tail that had been around her ankle as a sort of shackle finally lifted. She was free.

Shivering silently, Eveline looked back and forth one more before her eyes hardened. She was a human! She didn’t care what any damn Monster said! They were bad and lied to people! Marching over towards the clearing, Eveline soon had to squint her eyes as she felt the shadow of the trees leave her. She was now, out in the open.  As the sun began to shine down on her, the blonde quickly adjusted herself before stretching out her hands and waited. The sun felt fine! She knew she was a human!

Sitting in a small clearing, Najia watched closely as she saw Eveline’s reaction. This was only going to get worse from here on out. But, she needed to learn the truth, no matter what the costs. Clenching her eyes open and closed, Eveline soon felt her skin beginning to itch, but, she chose to ignore it. It was just the air, nothing more. But, as seconds ticked on… that itch began to turn painful. ‘W-What’s going on…?’

Sitting down quietly, Najia propped her chin on her palm as she waited. She’d figure it out soon enough. It didn’t make seeing this any easier on her though. She knew how bad this was about to get. Standing in the sunlight as she let it beat down on her, the younger girl panted loudly as her skin seared all over. What was this feeling, it hurt…

Taking a small sip from the gourd she kept at her hip, the older woman frowned knowing she had to learn the truth one way or the other. After the shocking truth came out, words would never work... and this was the price she’d pay for not listening. This was always, the naivety of Humans…

‘Just how long have you been turned?’ She had to have realized it at some point, right? Well… regardless, she was about to find out. She didn’t look like she could take it any longer. Gritting her teeth in pain as she fell to her knees, Eveline cried softly as her skin began to turn red and blister. Her body… it felt like it was being set on fire!  Screaming as it finally became too much, Najia was on her in an instant. Leaping over the blonde, her full nine tails swirled around the girl as she shrouded her in darkness.

Cradling the screaming girl in her arms beneath the harsh rays of light, Najia’s eyes grew hazy as she saw her body blackened and burned severely. She stayed much longer then she should have. Stubbornness from a kit… it was truly sad.

Letting her energy radiating from her tails, Najia hummed gently as she let them take over. “Be at peace kit, be at peace. I’ve got you now. You can’t deny it… there is no dispute. You are what you are…” She whispered soothingly in the sobbing girl’s ear, no smugness to be found… only pity, and sadness. Shaking as the pain slowly began to fade, Eveline continued to cry.

Not from her burns… but from her realization. She had known something wasn't right. She had known, all along. She thought herself ill, thought herself plagued. She had been in so much pain… and it only became worse when she tried to deny it. But, she knew that was impossible now.

 

As much as she wished it not to be… she couldn’t… Not after what just happened to her…

 

She was a Vampire… she was, a Monster…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

 

*”My shock was not easy to overcome. All the pain I felt. All the horrors I was bore witness to. I soon came to know why they happened to me. Why my family, turned their back on me. Why our staff abandoned us. Why my very own father… tried to do me in… and why I could now remember, more than I ever wished to. These were things no child should have to remember... And now, because of my newly acquired senses, I saw them with perfect clarity. And, it made me angry… it made me resentful. It made me hate, everyone…

 

And it cemented my belief that everyone, and everything… was out to get me. I was truly... alone…

 

That is… until someone showed me, that not all Monsters were the same…"*

 

 

~ Three months later ~

 

Coming to a dense area of the woodlands surrounding the eastern shores of Ireland, Najia and her charge soon paused as the blonde raised her nose in the air. Giving the vacant forest a few quick sniffs, she nodded before looking down at Eveline, the child seemingly ignoring her as she was bound by the waist once again.

More than once she had tried to run away from her, and it was something she wished the livid girl would eventually break the habit of, but, apparently not. “We’ll stop here for the dawn kit. The sun will rise soon so I’ll start preparing our meal. I take it you don’t care though, do you?”

Turning her nose to the older woman, Eveline glowered silently as Najia sighed at her. Why did she go through this every day, it was getting on her nerves. “How about you let me go instead…” Ignoring the grumbles that never ceased, Najia’s tail soon did unravel as she pulled it back under her small yellow dress.

“If you want your freedom so much then go and fetch us a bucket of water, I can smell it running nearby. There’s most likely a stream somewhere. And for heaven's sake don’t try to run again… You almost caught fire last time.” The blonde berated as she began unpacking her bag, her knowing eyes ever watchful towards her lively kit.

Glaring hatefully back at the Hominal, Eveline said nothing as a bucket was handed to her by one of the blondes many tails, the others seemingly doing what they usually did independently. She didn’t know how many she even had under her dress, they seemingly grew indefinitely…

Snatching the bucket away silently, the blonde sniffed the air as well as she tried to pick up the scent. Her senses weren’t nearly as powerful as the older Monsters but she at least could tell where the water was. Not to mention, the faint rumbling not too far off was a dead giveaway.

Kicking away the shrubs near her feet, Eveline shot the woman one last glare before scoffing and making her way towards it. She was only doing this because she was thirsty too. She didn’t have to do anything the woman said, it wasn’t like she was her mother or anything…

Thinking about her mom for a moment, the child soon grew somber. Did she miss her? Did she know what her father tried to do to her? What about any of the staff…? Growling under her breath, the little Vampiress shook her head as she stomped off towards the river ahead of her.

Of course, no one missed her! She was as good as dead to them… She was nothing but a Monster after all. A Monster only fit to bask in the loathsome presence of other Monsters. She had no place in this world… None of their kind did… and now, she was one of them…

Stepping towards the small shoreline, the child paused as she saw the clear blue waters running freely. They looked clean enough. ‘Running water is safe to drink kit. Be cautious if it’s still, however.’ Gritting her teeth as one of the many random lectures Najia had taught her echoed in her mind, the Vampire hissed angrily before tossing the bucket onto the ground.

‘Why won’t she ever let me go?!’ Why did she keep her as a prisoner! It drove her mad. She didn’t want to be here and she got the feeling the older woman didn’t care for her much either. Hell, she kept a leash on her at all hours of the day!

‘So I’ve been reduced to a pet…’ It pissed her off the more she thought about it. Kneeling down over the water, Eveline soon looked into the blue pools as her eyes landed on her rippling reflection. Her hair was a bit longer, but dirt and grime lingered everywhere. Her face was smudged, and flakes of blood from her last feeding remained…

Rubbing her wrinkled dress, or at least what remained of it down her face, the blonde tried to get rid of it. It made her sick to her stomach. Having to feed on animals, she was basically one of them now. Glaring at her visage, Eveline soon screamed before punching the water in anger.

She hated it! She hated herself! Why did she have to go on like this! She shouldn’t even be alive! Panting as her anger continued to boil the Vampires eyes slowly began to glow as she stared back at them in the pond. ‘Control your emotions… the eyes of our kind are the gateway to our souls.’ She didn’t care about these stupid quotes, she just wanted her freedom!

Hitting the water again, Eveline snarled silently before something occurred to her. The red in her eyes wasn’t rippling… they were unmoving… Something was off with her reflection. Blinking slowly, the Vampire stiffened up as she watched the red glow not mimicking her actions. They weren’t her eyes…

Standing up slowly, the child tried to back away, but, it was too late. Watching in horror as something shot out from the water, Eveline screamed as she looked at the face, of another monster. Hissing loudly at her, the creatures black matted hair clung to its nude form as it’s brightly lit eyes pierced her to her core.

It was female, that was easy to tell but beyond that, she didn’t have a clue what it even was! The upper half of its body was normal but below the waist where her legs should have been was a long, dark green and yellow reptilian tail. Slithering onto the land, the creature continued to hiss at her before it shot forward at a speed she couldn’t even comprehend.

Screaming again as it idled over her, tears streamed down Eveline’s face as she saw the creature open its mouth wide, two rows of razor sharp fangs dripping as she moved in… moved in for the kill. “LEAVE HER ALONE!” Yanking her head up angrily the creature hissed before something slammed into it launching it away from the vampire as it skidded across the shoreline.

Sniffling as she continued to sob, Eveline’s eyes looked upward as she saw Najia crouching over her on all fours, her tails fully unfurrowed as nine of them pointed forward defensively. “Back, crawl back into the water Naga, she’s not your food!” Najia hissed as small balls of light began to shimmer at the tip of each of her appendages.

Slithering back up, the creature snarled angrily before slithering towards them both once again, but, the blonde was faster. Much faster in fact. Kicking off the ground and grabbing the snake woman by her face, the Kitsune cried angrily before smashing her head into the sand beneath her. Not stopping there however she quickly drug her through the dirt before tossing her forward, the Naga soon flying back into the water as the Hominal roared angrily.

“LEAVE HER!” Baring her fangs at the river, Najia watched in rage for a few moments, but, it didn’t look like the creature was coming back. Nodding her head, the blonde’s tails slowly retracted back to her before she turned around to check on Eveline.

Shivering on the ground, the little Vampire cried softly as she clutched her arms in terror. That thing… it wanted her. It wanted to kill her! Feeling something wrap around her slowly, the child didn’t try to shrug her away as she felt Najia’s tails circling her body comfortingly.

“Shhhh, it’s alright kit. I’ve got you.” Hugging the younger girl gently, Najia buried the sobbing girls face into her shoulder as she let her gather her bearings. She should have sensed it. The Naga was beneath the water though; there was no way she could have known…

Sighing, the blonde shook her head for being so stupid as she clung to Eve protectively. “I’m sorry kit… I’m so sorry.” She had almost lost her. Whimpering softly, Eveline curled up silently in the Hominal's arms. As much as she hated her, right now… she didn’t want to be anywhere else…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

Staring down at the small bowl of soup she had been given, Eveline’s eyes glowed faintly as she saw them reflecting off the broth inside. She wasn’t hungry. Neither of them was after what had happened just a few hours back. Sipping her food slowly, Najia sat closely beside the blonde as her tails draped her protectively.

Even if she knew their campsite was safe, she wasn’t about to let anything like that happen ever again. Glancing down at the younger girl as she stared down indifferently at her meal, the Kitsune gently closed her eyes before clearing her throat. Their silence was dragging on far too long. And it was past time she made a choice on what to do with the abandoned girl.

“Do you still crave your freedom kit?” Blinking slowly, Eveline soon looked away from the bowl and up to the older woman as they stared back at one another. Letting silence hang for a moment, the little Vampire slowly began to frown before gently nodding her head.

As much as she had just been scared, she still wished to be away from this creature… away from any Monsters. She just wanted, to be alone. Sighing as she saw the faint look she was being given back, Najia set her own bowl down before gently petting the child’s hair.

“If you wish it still, then, you can have it.” Blinking slowly, Eveline’s eyes widened in surprise now. She had been repeatedly turned down and even hunted when she tried to get away from the woman, and now, she was just letting her go? ‘I-I guess she doesn’t care about me after all…’ She really was just a pet and probably just a burden now to her now.

At least, she was cutting ties to her here. “But…” Snapping back to attention as Najia continued, Eveline looked back at the Hominal as anger slowly rose from within. Was she changing her mind now?! What was with this creature!

Licking her lips as she tried to gauge the child’s reaction, Najia continued once more. “But, I’ll only allow you to leave once I know you can take care of yourself. If you still want your *freedom*, then you’ll let me train you first. I just can’t let you go off on your own kit. Less we have what occurred today, happen again…” She silently warned.

Though it sounded like she was bargaining, there was a hint of emotion in the woman’s tone that the Vampiress for the life of her couldn’t figure out. She wasn’t sure what it was. Staring back at Najia quietly, Eveline gently set her bowl down as well.

“So… you’ll let me go?” Nodding her head in affirmation, Najia smiled faintly. “I don’t want to see you get hurt kit. If you can take care of yourself though, and you truly wish to be rid of me, then those are my demands. If I know you’re safe, then that’s enough for me.” She chuckled.

Hearing the mirth in her voice, Eveline scowled quietly before her eyes hardened. This was what she wanted. She was being given her freedom. But, what did this training entail? Who knew? But, whatever the cost, she would gladly pay it to be rid of this Monster.

“I accept… when do we begin?” Looking back at Eveline in surprise from eagerness, Najia frowned sadly before instinctively pulling the child closer to her. “Tomorrow. For now, rest. For the next few years you’re going to be in for a greater challenge then you can possibly comprehend.” Blinking slowly, the Vampire furrowed her brow before her eyes quickly widened.

“YEARS?! I THOUGHT YOU WERE JUST TRAINING ME!” Flicking the screaming girl on her forehead for being so loud, Najia quietly growled before shaking her head. “It’s not just training you. It’s making sure you learn how to survive on your own. As a Vampire, there are certain things you’ll have to accept and grow accustomed to. One of which is human society. If you let your eyes shimmer like they are now in front of them then you’ll be exposing yourself!” She snapped.

Glaring hatefully from the double-sided bargain, Eveline wanted to take it back now, but, she knew this might be the only way. She had tried running, but the damned Monster could sniff her out. And going out in the day when she slept wasn’t an option either, she had been severely charred when she had last tried it. No… this might be the only way.

Forcing her anger to subside, Eveline closed her eyes as she counted in her mind, a trick Caitriona had taught her when she was younger. She had always been temperamental… but now, that seemed like a habit she had to learn to break.

Opening her eyes back up as the glow vanished, Eveline finally nodded. “Fine. Teach me whatever you want. Just promise to let me go once you’re done. I… I hate you. I hate your kind. And I don’t want to be near any of you!” She grumbled.

Closing her eyes silently, Najia made no comment and instead chose to simply hug the child closer to her. “I will. I promise to uphold my end of this agreement. Your training will begin tomorrow morning. I suggest you turn in with me. Once we begin, I don’t want to see you slacking. This will be a trial for you. You’ll need to learn how to use your shenme efficiently. It’s too unstable as it is. Your temper will be your guide. Along with that, there are plenty of other lessons you’ll be learning as well. But, we’ll get to them as we cross those bridges. For now, sleep kit.”

Crying out in surprise as she fell backward's with Najia, the Kitsune chuckled in amusement as she heard the faint growl coming from within her arms. “I hate you…” Petting the younger girl’s hair, Najia didn’t show her face to the Vampire as a sad smile fell across her lips. “I know kit… I know…”

As they lay there silently, Eveline’s mind soon wandered over the foreign word she had heard. “What’s a shenme?” Cracking her eyes back open, Najia frowned knowing the term was most likely lost on the younger girl. “The closest thing I could call it in your language is magic. Mana. It’s the secondary force Hominal can use. Within our bodies, there’s a mixture of Shenme, and Benzhi. It’s what causes us Hominal to thrive and what makes us who we are. For the humans, however, they only have one of these naturally residing in their bodies. The Benzhi, it’s their energy. We lack it but make up for it with our own Shenme. But, without a strong source of both, we fall apart. But, let’s let the lessons continue tomorrow kit. Sleep.” Petting the younger girls head affectionately, Eveline was silent to it all as she thought about the strange words.

‘Magic and energy…’ What a weird woman… And she had just agreed for her to be her teacher? She was in for a long and arduous journey from here on out… she just hoped the creature she was currently snuggled against did, in fact, keep her end of the bargain.

So was the word of a Monster, shallow and frail. Words her Father had once said to a merchant who had spoken to him once before. One way or another though, she would gain her freedom. But, once she obtained it… her path was undecided.

Only time would tell, what she would choose to do with it, once she learned more about this tainted world she was now a part of…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

*”And so, training began. I was pathetic. It brings great shame to me knowing how truly powerless I was once I saw what true power was. Najia was a force of nature. Her power and her grace were unlike any I had ever seen as a human before.

For the next few years, I lived in utter hell. Najia hadn't been warning me for no reason. Her training methods… were strange, to say the least. But, the progress I made was undeniable. Every evening we would wake up at the break of nightfall, and my lessons would begin. I started with simple meditations first, something I hated wholly, but, I’ll admit the outcome did indeed hone my patience and my senses. It made me less temperamental and allowed me to see ration and understanding in every conversation.

After that, came learning how to control my latent powers. I don’t fully know how she knew about everything I could do, but, every ability I had… every unique skill I could learn to master, she knew the best way to tutor me. She was like a fount of endless knowledge, one I surely didn’t use to the fullest as I could have.

But, for every story of my arrogance and impotence, I can tell you of where I progressed as well. The cycle is long, but, there are far too many things to cover, and we would be here for days if I tried. So, to sum it up, Najia indeed train me. And as months passed, I understood her more.

The more time we spent together, the more I started to see her, differently. It started to feel… second nature really. Things that I had once done in life, I began to start doing again. I began to make my own clothes, I started to groom myself daily. Little things such as this that I had seemingly forgotten. She made me feel, like purpose was still there, even if I was just a lowly dead girl now.

To put it bluntly, she destroyed me and built me back up into who I am today. And, I treasure her now dearly for it all. But, of course, it took me years to reach this realization.

 

And it only took longer, once they came…”*

 

 

~

 

~5 years later~

 

Pressing her knuckles together as she sat beneath a small waterfall, the water as cold as morning ice, Evelyne meditated in silence as she held her breath. She had been going for two hours now, and she hadn’t taken even a single gasp of air. She was improving. The burning of her lungs was a thing of the past. She didn’t need to breathe to survive… as was common for all undead creatures. Sadly the human side of her that still hung around refused to believe her.

But, it seemed she had finally figured it out. The benefits of sitting perfectly still were very abundant. She could sense it all. Even with her eyes shut tightly, the surrounding lake, the mountain behind her, the tree’s on the cliff, the fish in the lake, the birds flying over her… she could feel it all.

Taking an intentional breath, Evelyne exhaled softly as she felt the world around her fading out as she began once more regaining her connection. She had to get this down. “Better kit. But even so, you’ll need to learn to do this without letting your mind wander off.”

Scowling as she was brought out of her meditative state, something the damned fox seemed to take great pleasure in doing to her purposefully, Evelyne’s crimson eyes opened briefly as she glanced to the golden Kitsune standing over her… on top of the water.

Sitting on the small rock she was on, the Vampire couldn’t even fathom the amount of control it took to be able to actually stand on top of the water itself. Not to mention next to a waterfall no less. She truly was nothing compared to her. “I take it we’re leaving now?” Nodding quietly, Najia said nothing as her hand moved towards the water above the blonde before the waterfall parted.

Feeling the torrent turn into a faint trickle now, the preteen nodded before standing up slowly, her limbs sore and worn from the stiffness in her frame. It was hard for her to train a body as fragile as her own. Being converted as a child was truly a burden. But, even if she remained in the same state of youth, her mind most certainly was growing. She had grown mature in her years, something Najia seemed to notice to as the nickname she had acquired all those years was used less and less when they spoke. But, she still heard it every so often… such as now.

Feeling a familiar tail curl around her midriff, Evelyne took a tentative step forward before walking across the water with Najia. One day she would learn how to do this without her help. She had a long way to go though.

“Where are we headed this time? You said there was something you had to investigate south of here. I take it you’ve located it.” Nodding at her little kit, Najia smiled warmly down at Eveline as she used her tail to dry her body off. “Indeed I did… I think we’ve reached them.”

Furrowing her brow at the mention of *them*, the Vampire was about to ask but Najia simply raised her hand. “Not now. If we’re going to catch up we’ll need to leave soon. Do you want me to carry you? We might be traveling for a full day.”

Shaking her head as she cracked her frigid bones, Eveline couldn’t help but smirk. “I’d think you’d have a harder time keeping up with me. Maybe I should carry you, fufufu~. AHHHH!” Screeching as she suddenly fell into the water, Najia simply scowled down at the younger girl as her tail was withdrawn from the child’s hips.

“We’ll be traveling by water. Can you stand on your own yet?” Raising her head from the frigid lake, Eveline’s eyes glowed darkly as she glared back at the smirking Hominal. “Just because you’ve mastered fleeting doesn’t mean you’re faster than me yet kit. Remember that.” Najia chuckled.

One ability down and a handful to go and the egotistical girl thought she was better than her. Such a shame was a Vampire’s pride. It often led to their downfall. Not that she’d let her grow into it. If she needed to remind Eveline of her fragility every once and awhile she would be more than happy to. The girl could have a long and prosperous eternity if only she learned how to humble herself.

Lowering her tail down towards the water, the Blonde growled as she felt a painful yank as the Vampiress used her appendage to crawl upward. “Fine… When do we leave.” Eveline whispered bitterly. Tapping the younger girls shoulder, Najia simply smirked, before they both disappeared, the wind where they had once been simply swirling as they vanished into thin air…

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Sitting atop a large mountain as she stared up at the faint trickles of light peeking out from the dawn, Eveline watched the clouds in silence as she awaited Najia’s return. It had been about a day since they had arrived at their destination, and true to her word, the two of them had run straight down the coastline all night.

Letting out a tired yawn as she tried to keep herself awake, the Vampire rubbed her eyes as she saw the sun finally rising. Rolling under the tree she sat beside as she shade became her sanctuary, the blonde watched once more as she saw the brilliant colors of the red dawn.

She missed seeing the sunrise. She missed seeing the sun actually. But, it was simply nostalgia for her old life if anything. It held no sway over her now. Only pain… ‘What’s taking you so long you nettlesome fox?’ Najia had said she’d be gone for a few hours to investigate the claims she heard.

Apparently, there was talk of some kind of grand display or something. She didn’t really understand what it was all about but she didn’t care. It was the affair of humans after all. ‘Not that I care much for the affair of Monster’s either…’ She really didn’t care much about anything these days. Only traveling with Najia seemed to give her glimpses of joy every blue moon.

Thinking about the strange thought, Eveline smirked before shaking her head. Freedom was still a drive. One day she’d be ready to part ways with her. One day. Opening her eyes slowly, the Vampire quietly froze as her breathing turned shallow. Sniffing the air as both a familiar and unfamiliar scent entered her senses, the child frowned from uncertainty.

‘Najia?’ Standing up quietly as to not alert whoever it was coming towards her area, the Vampire slid amongst the trees as her eyes peered outward. Thankfully though, she had been right. Relaxing as she saw the Kitsune slowly making her way up the mountain, Eveline smiled as she stared back down at her… before her lips curled instantly by what was currently trailing behind her.

‘What is this?’ Moving towards the older woman as far as the tree’s permitted, Eveline soon came face to face with the Hominal as Najia stared back at her quietly, a tired smile stretching across her lips as she saw her little kit. “I thought I told you to sleep in.” “and I thought you said you’d be back before dawn… alone.”

Hearing the not to subtle hint in the child's tone, Najia scowled before stepping to the side to reveal just who it was behind her. Staring downward, Eveline's eyes slowly widened as she saw the exotic sight. Standing on her own with many… many… cuts and bruises littering her body was a little girl. But, she was no human. Black scales stretched across her feet, arms and midriff… along with the crooked black wings bent awkwardly behind her and an equally black tail that drug in the dirt as she walked.

Resting in her arms as well, was another one. Carrying a smaller girl almost identical in appearance if not for the stark contrast in color, Eveline could only scowl further. What were these creatures? “Who the hell are they?” Feeling a glare being directed her way already, the Vampire stared back at the younger looking girl but she said nothing in return for her rude inquiry.

Sighing softly, Najia kneeled down gently before patting the raven-haired child on the head, the toddler flinching slightly from the foxes touch much to her sadness. “Eveline, this is Ebon. And the little one she’s carrying is Ivy. They’ll be accompanying us from now on. Their Dragons.”

Staring the two girls down, Eveline wanted to shake her head in disbelief, but, she didn’t want to look away. Both she and… Ebon, were in an eye lock, their glares matching as they stared each other down. She hated her already. “Why did you bring these Monsters here… what’s the meaning of this!” She finally snapped before glaring up at Najia.

Glancing down at Ebon as her petite claws gently dug into the younger toddler she was carrying, the Kitsune pointed towards the tree line before cleaning her throat. “Go, up. Meet there soon.” Moving her hands around to mimic her words, Ebon slowly nodded before she began trekking where the older woman had pointed, completely ignoring the angry growl being emitted by the newcomer.

Once they were far enough away, Najia soon glared back down at her kit as she saw the little Vampire grinding her teeth. “Eveline… that’s no way to greet our guests. I know your dislike for our kind but you’ll have to learn to accept them. They’re not like us… but, they’re not like humans either. It’s our duty to look after our kind. Don’t you understand this?”

Sighing as the Vampire continued to glare back at her, Najia simply shook her head. “Try to be nice. I’ll explain everything tonight. Let’s get some sleep. It’s been a rough night…” She whispered. Feeling the faintness in her tone, Eveline wanted to press her for questions now, but the tail curling around her felt all too inviting. She hadn’t slept either…

 

“Fine.”

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

Watching out across the sky as she awoke, Eveline was on her feet immediately. Looking out across the mountain they had made camp on, the little Vampire soon shrugged off the sleeping Kitsune’s tails as she made her way a little higher up the cliff. She had questions… and she was about to get answers.

Coming to the same cliff she had been standing on that morning, Eveline gazed forward as she saw the black Dragon girl crouching over the mountain as she stared outward. “Hey… Monster. What are you really doing here? Why did Najia bring you here?”

Showing the faintest hints of acknowledgment, Ebon’s head turned slightly as she glanced Eveline’s way. “Away…” Furrowing her brow, the Vampire scowled as she heard it once more, this time clearer than before. “Go, away…” Her voice, it sounded guttural. It was rough… it sounded more like an animal than a person's. But, it was a Monster after all.

Glaring back at the child, Eveline stepped forward defiantly as her eyes began to glow. “You think you can command me Monster? Who are you to tell me where I can and can’t set foot?” Waiting for a reply, Ebon simply ignored her as she turned her head back towards the view.

Gritting her teeth, Eveline took another step forward before her guard was up instantly. Unfurrowing her wings in a swift motion, the Dragoness let out an unearthly grow as she warned her further, but, it was lost to the blonde. Watching as Ebon stood up, the toddler turned around slowly before the Vampiress figured out why she seemed so hostile, not that it mattered.

Cradling the baby Dragon in her arms as she slept, the black Dragoness gently set the sleeping Ivy down behind her before flexing her claws back at Eveline. “Grr… groo… GO, AWAY!” Hearing the loud roar from the newcomer was all Eveline needed. She was pissed off.

Poking the younger girl further, the Vampire took one step closer, but, that was enough. Coughing as the air was knocked out of her, Eveline shot into the ground as Ebon fell on top of her. Snarling in rage, the Dragon raised her claws into the air before slamming them into the ground where Eveline’s head had just been.

Feeling the ground crack beneath her, Eve shook in surprise, amongst other emotions before raising her foot up beneath the foaming girl as she kicked her backward. Rolling back to her feet, the blonde bared her petite fangs before disappearing from sight.

Appearing above the Dragoness in an instant, the Vampire grinned before all mirth from her surprise was turned into horror as Ebon’s tail slammed her into the ground. Coughing as she felt winded once more, the older girl sputtered as she felt the pain behind the toddlers blows. How was she so strong! She was just a baby!

Crying out in pain as her hair was pulled on, the Dragoness yanked Eveline’s head up by her blonde locks before raising her claws over the shuddering girl's neck. But, before anything else could escalate further, Ebon soon found her clawed appendage being restrained… as someone else stood over her.

“That’s quite enough… Both of you, stop this. Now!” Raising their heads upward, both children looked into the angry eyes of Najia as the Kitsune’s irises glowed a faint blue, her tails already working to separate them apart. Shoving Eveline away from Ebon, and the Dragoness back to her waking counterpart, the older woman nodded as she watched the angry children glaring back at one another.

“This is not ok. Never, fight each other… Never.” She whispered warningly. Looking up at Najia silently, Eveline ground her teeth as she heard the anger in her tone. She was never this angry. Watching as Ebon stalked backward slowly towards the other dragon pup now awake and whimpering, the blonde nodded before shifting her ire towards Eveline now.

Meeting the Kitsune’s eyes with her own crimson ones, their glares soon relented as the Vampire looked away first. Moving towards her silently, Najia’s tails swiftly wrapped up the blonde before taking her away with her. They had a lot to discuss…

 

Things were about to change, and she didn’t like where they were headed one bit…

 

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

*”After the events of my first real meeting with Ebon as you’ve come to now know her… things didn’t go as well as they could have. I’m not going to say I initiated it… but, I did retaliate back. The days that followed after only got worse from there. Najia and I would argue for hours on end as we traveled… and I truly despised the two new creatures we now had to cater to. I couldn’t see it. See why Najia was taking them with us. It vexed me… it enraged me. But worst of all… it made me jealous…

I actually treasured Najia’s attention. I had grown fond of it through the years. And without it undivided on me and me alone… I grew resentful of those other two. But, it only became worse instead of better. Despite her best attempts, Najia couldn’t control me. I didn’t see reason anymore… only hatred. I grew to remember why I hated her once before…

And those feelings only came back in full. Especially once more began to join us… It started with a stray. An Oni… Poppy. Seeing what became of her, Najia did what she could and she came with us too.

Then came another… and another… as the years went on we began adopting more and more Hominal and beastial into our group. And each new addition made my spite and rage grow further. I thought it then, that Najia had simply grown bored of me…

I was no longer her favorite *pet*. And with my clouded judgment… we come to the turning point. The point in which, I regret the most…

 

~

 

~4 years later~

 

Lying on a tree branch as she watched the clouds floating by, Eveline was silent as she heard the ruckus beneath her. She was tired. Everyone was. But that damned fox always put her in charge of this ragtag group of trash whenever she was out. She hated them all…

It was times like this, that she even wondered why she was still here? Her training had been completed by now surely. She had a mastered the manipulation of elements such as Najia could. Her speed was unmatchable and even gave the Kitsune a run for her money. Not to mention her strength.

Smirking as she clenched her hand, her knuckles cracking as she scraped her fingers together. No one here could take her on. That was probably why she didn’t want to be near any of them… any of those weaklings. She was above them. But, Najia didn’t see it that way… why?

Was she not enough for her? She followed her wherever she went. Not to mention at least she could blend in with her when they went into towns. But, now she took that little bitch, err… Witch… Kari with her. Snarling at the thought of her role being replaced, Eveline's eyes glowed brighter as her anger rose.

Inching herself down the tree branch as the sun began to peek out where her face had been, the Vampiress closed her eyes as continued to hang on the tree limbs. Glancing out at the assortment of Monsters all playing or keeping to themselves down below like the ingrates they were, Eveline simply shook her head.

She had half a mind to simply leave them here and wander off on her own. But, knowing them they’d be found by humans. Then who would protect these pathetic creatures? She hated her role but she knew what she had to do. But, did she really?

Thinking about the question long and hard for a while, her thoughts were interrupted as she felt the presence she had been expecting return. She didn’t even have to meditate anymore to feel everyone around her. Further proof that she was beyond the training the Kitsune could give her anymore. Speaking of…

Rolling on her side as she gazed down from about five stories up, Eveline closed her eyes before falling off the branch she was on. As she felt the air rush past her face to embrace her, the Vampire smiled before crashing into the ground causing multiple girls to scream in fright from her sudden appearance. She loved to scare them.

Standing up from where she had landed, the Vampiress look at Najia as the Kitsune said nothing, Kari hiding behind her in terror as she gazed up at the older girl. ‘Such a baby…’ Feeling her anger spike as she watched her mentor patting the witches head, the Kitsune soon showed the young witch away as she carried something in a bag with her.

“Productive day or goofing off?” Eveline mumbled as she eyed the woman over. She looked haggard as of late. It seemed the many girls she now took under her wing wore her out. It was her fault though, and she had a feeling the Kitsune knew it too.

Saying nothing as she moved her hand forward, Eveline's brow rose as she watched the Hominal turnaround. “Come with me… we need to discuss something important…” Hearing the sternness in her tone, one she had grown to hate throughout the years, Eveline said nothing as she stalked forward passed the blonde leaving her hand dangling alone by her side.

Sighing quietly, Najia said nothing else before giving the girls behind her one last look. Some had gone over to Kari while others kept their distance from each other and her. Perhaps her dream would never come true…

Turning tail and walking away, Najia joined up with Eveline as the two made some distance between them and the others. Coming to a denser area of the surrounding forest, the Kitsune stopped walking signaling here was far enough. Turning back to the older woman, Eveline crossed her arms before staring her down.

“What is it? Did you find whatever it was you were looking for this time? Or, perhaps whom? Is your collection not exotic enough as is? A Vampire, a pair of Dragons, gosh, even a Dullahan to! You surely beat out most others. What’s next, a deity perhaps?”

Ignoring the snarkiness she had never been able to rid her kit of, Najia looked upwards quietly as she gazed up at the shimmering trees, the sun gently sparkling through their leaves and the wind gracefully allowing them to dance to bless her eyes with the view.

“I did find her. In the last town, we visited there was a rumor of an action going down in the next port town over. I was worried if it was true or not. But, it is. Someone managed to catch a Mermaid off the coast… and now she’s being sold to the highest bidder…” Najia whispered, sadness evident in her tone as she discussed such a tragic matter.

Scoffing, Eveline shook her head before shrugging her shoulders. “If this Mermaid was captured then she’s a fool who deserved it. It’s not our problem.” Glaring back at her younger charge, Najia trembled silently. “Kit… the Mermaid they caught… was just a child. She’s only a baby.”

Looking back at Najia with uncertainty, the Vampiress said nothing before turning her back towards her. “When do we leave then? It's only getting harder to keep this camp moving and you know it. If you bring a fish with us it will be even harder. What then? And why are you sharing any of this with me, to begin with? I don’t care about these strays you bring here. They’re your pets, not mine.”

Feeling a hand placed on her shoulder, Eveline narrowed her eyes as she tried to shrug off the Hominal’s touch, but she couldn’t. Clenching the child’s… no, the young woman’s shoulder, Najia stared her down quietly. “Kit… Eveline… This does concern you.”

Baring her fangs, the smaller girl tugged her body away from the Monster behind her before looking over her shoulder. “And why is that? Are you telling me I need to watch it too when you bring it here!” Lowering her eyes towards the ground, the woman was silent as she tried to say what came next. It wasn’t easy.

“Kit… The port town that the auctions being held in… Its, it’s a place you’ve already been before. She’s being sold… in Coleraine. We’ll be heading back to your hometown.” Freezing in place, all blood drained from the Vampire’s face as Najia’s words hit her like a brick.

‘Coleraine…’ They were going, back, there? Trembling silently, Eveline’s eyes hardened before she turned back to the saddened Kitsune. “So what… it's just a town. A town full of humans. Get the Monster yourself and we’ll leave.” She whispered bitterly before stepping past Najia and heading back the way they came.

Standing still as she felt her little kit leaving, Najia was silent as she felt her heart aching for her Eveline. This wasn’t going to be pleasant for her… she had hoped to be able to do this on her own, but, she couldn’t leave her children alone. This could be finished in a day… or in a week.

She just hoped that they wouldn’t be too late. And that her little kit, wouldn’t take that final step… into becoming the very thing she claimed to hate.

 

A Monster…

 

 

To be continued…

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

<----

Still Franchise Writer~

<----

 

I had planned on ending Eve's story on this chapter but there was one very impactful scene to her character I just couldn't water down nor leave out. It's what Sterben and I are both working on next. Sorry if you guys thought this was going to finish it up for her, the next one will be the last one, I promise.

Either way I hope you all enjoyed. I had a lot of fun working on this story while Sterben was gone but now that he's back, I'll probably be taking a less active role in it. Expect weekly updates again and more Monster Girl goodness, lol.

 

See you guys later. ^,^