- Text Size +

In this chapter:  Miranda meets the fourth roommate while trying to hide the discovery of a tiny city in her room. 

 

Day 1 - 2:00pm Grove View

Miranda decided to help her fourth roommate move her stuff upstairs to get her mind off the events that just occurred, her mind was slipping a bit in thought, “oh my god, did I like, kill people? She thought to herself, “Fuck, what am I supposed to do with them?”  She snapped out of it when Lacy told her to grab her guitar out of the trunk of her car.  They made small talk as they walked up and down the stairs together, carrying art supplies and bags of clothes mixed with shoes. 

Lacy was a 21-year-old art student, and her focus was on photography.  She had shorter black hair that reached just above her shoulders.  Her hair swung over her right eye a bit because she was self-conscious about her heterochromia.  She had one bright hazel colored eye and one light brown eye.  She was 5’6” and had a skinnier build, she had pale skin and wore mostly black clothes, and she had a cute face with pouty red lips.  Her move-in outfit of choice was her black converse with shin-high socks with pictures of cartoon cats on them.  She had cutoff black short jeans that were ripped at the end revealing pale and modestly skinny thighs.  She had a black shirt with a band name on it.  She had a small nose ring too.  Miranda could see tattoos on both of her upper arms, but couldn’t quite figure out what they were, but they were bright and colorful.

Lacy tried her best to make up for her anxiety, she was blunt and abrasive with people sometimes and hardly trusted anyone, she had a difficult time trying to find things she enjoyed and usually felt a void at the end of the day.  The only things that really kept her balanced was art and her girlfriend Ki, one of the few people she has ever trusted.  Lacy was pretty quiet most of the time, but she could be friendly when needed, she was always great at adapting to her audience and social situations.

Miranda and Lacy were almost done bringing all of Lacy’s things to her room “3D” “Hey let me see what you’ve got going on around the apartment, I didn’t get a good look earlier!” Lacy said, trying to be friendly.  Miranda became excited and forgot about her situation for a few brief moments.

“Sure!” Miranda said revealing her perfect smile to Lacy.  Miranda walked out into the living room with Lacy following, Miranda started to explain her plans for the living room and patio, she showed her Lacy’s section of the kitchen since the other three already claimed their cupboards.  Lacy walked over to 3B and 3C which were right next to each other while Miranda was talking, “Uhh, like what are you doing?” Miranda said with a concerned demeanor.

“I just want to see, ya know, for some decoration ideas” Lacy said.

Lacy tried to be spontaneous to try and boost her confidence, but deep inside she was just hoping her roommates would like her.  3B was locked – “Jessica’s room” Miranda said.  “She’s nice!” Lacy tried 3C, it unlocked, Lacy saw a Ukrainian flag hung up above the bed with a few boxes arranged all over, a pile of shoes in one corner by the closest caught her attention.

 “Holy hell, they’re kinda big?”  Lacy noticed, looking at a pair of long high-heeled cork wedges, in particular. 

“Yeah, she’s really tall and pretty, but you’ll meet them both later! Maybe we can all get dinner when we are done” Miranda chirped. 

“Yeah sure, let’s see your room?”  Lacy asked.

“Uhhh haha, you know what?  It’s a total mess right now, how about later?” Miranda deflected. 

“Oh, come on, it can’t be that bad” Lacy said walking over to 3A, she attempted to turn the knob, but it didn’t open. 

“Later! I promise!”  Miranda was nervous, but she remained composed. 

“Alright…?”  Lacy was clearly confused, but the two agreed to get back to setting up their things. 

Day 1 – Miranda – 3:36pm - Grove View

Miranda could feel beads of sweat forming on her forehead as Lacy walked off to her room, she needed to distract herself and went back to setting up the living room, she hung up a few decorative pictures and moved the table around, she placed some rugs down, but nothing was working, she was overwhelmed with fear about the tiny city in her room.  She needed to see it again.

She grabbed her room key off the kitchen counter and walked back into her room.  She removed her athletic shoes and socks the moment she came through her door so she could walk more softly.  She treaded slowly to the desk barefoot, she looked at the tiny city and sat back down at her chair.  Now that she knew what she was dealing with the details of the city became clearer, she saw flying specks that must have been helicopters and the specks on the streets were microscopic people.  Shaking her head in disbelief still, "should I say something?  Will it be too loud, I must be miles tall to them, I better whisper" she thought.

Miranda wanted to test something first, she scooted her chair away from her desk and leaned back, she kicked her legs and feet up above the desk, her soles towering above the city, she concentrated to make sure the impact was a soft as possible for the tiny people. She brought down her feet with pink nail polish ever so slowly, she placed her heels a few relative hundred feet away from the nearest structure of the suburbs, her heels came down crushing trees and wildlife.  After they settled, she finally realized how big she was.  It was terrorizing for the tiny people, they saw a young girls massive soles, over a mile tall settled outside of the city, dominating their view.  The ground shook with the impact of her heels as they looked up and saw the soft soles leading to perfect toes and pink nails.  Bigger than mountains themselves, people broke out into panic again, the smell was disturbing, she had been moving around all day and the sweaty scent breezed across the city in waves and she didn’t even realize it. 

 

Miranda picked her feet back up slowly making sure she didn’t slip or accidentally crush anything.  She moved her chair closer again and started to speak, “I’m Miranda, I don’t know how you like got here, but I will try to fix this, for real” She spoke as softly as possible and smiled, revealing massive straight white teeth hundreds of feet wide to everyone in the city, “Aww, you are all so cute, I wish I could talk to you little guys, I hope I didn’t like hurt anyone earlier” She whispered, frowning a little.  Miranda looked up from the city to see a few dozen flying dots coming towards her slowly at eye-level…