- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Image: http://fav.me/dartwbs

 

As soon as Eli set foot inside his school, Landon Middle, he knew he’d made the wrong decision. Teens trampled through the curved hallways, leaving little room for him to squeeze between the blue cinder block walls and the yellow lockers. To them, he probably looked like an ordinary sixth grader, easy to ignore. But that didn’t stop him from brooding on the worst possible scenarios.

He’d insisted Ally not follow him to class. He didn’t need a watcher yet, and she socialized a lot more than him. She wasn’t as outgoing as Winter, but she had her own group of friends and he had no desire to ‘hang’ with them. Alone, he could at least remain inconspicuous and —

A fierce jerk on his backpack straps sent him to the ground, landing hard on his butt. Books, papers and pencils scattered across the floor. A group of boys clambered past, stepping on his things and laughing. “Sorry man,” one of them said, but they continued onward, bumping each other into walls and other students.

“You OK?” A blue haired girl wearing a batman symbol t-shirt and ripped jeans knelt to help gather his belongings.

“Uh. Yeh.” He stuffed random papers back inside a folder, not caring if they were upside down or folded.

“Those guys are assholes.” She finished putting his books back in his old Jansport, then stuck out her hand. “My name’s Parker.” In spite of a fresh scratch on her cheek, her unsmiling face was striking and showed no ill intent. It was as if helping him had been no more or less routine for her than walking or breathing.

“Eli.” He shook her hand, noticing once again, how it seemed larger than it should be. Not that he’d ever met her before, but something felt off.

“Wait.” She paused, but maintained a firm grip. “You’re not Ally’s brother, are you?”

“She’s my sister.” He focused on her hand. Like her face, it too had scratches and black markings, presumably from a pen. Nothing identifiable, just weird drawings, like a spiral and what appeared to be hearts dripping blood.

“Sorry.” She released him and resumed the cleanup effort. “Ally’s in my science class. You’re her...older brother?”

“Yes.”

“What grade are you in?”

“Eighth.”

“Oh. Ok.” She rounded up his pens and pencils, placing them in the smaller pocket of his backpack. Together, they worked in awkward silence to collect the mechanical pencil lead which had somehow spilled out of it’s container. He knew what she was thinking.

“I’ve got the shrink gene.” Why not aim for maximum humiliation today? One ought to have goals after all.

“Oh shit.” She scanned him with her dark brown eyes. “Are you serious?”

He shrugged, zipped his backpack and stood, swinging it over his shoulder. Since last week, it had become heavier of course, but still not so heavy that he couldn’t wear it on one shoulder for a few minutes.

She rose to her feet, easily an inch or two taller than him. “Don’t worry. I’m not going to tell anyone.”

“It’s ok. Everyone will know soon enough.”

“Oh. Yeh. I guess that’s true.”

More awkward silence. It seemed as if she wanted to say something. Instead, she stood there, eyes flitting from the lockers back to him.

“Anyway. Uh. I gotta get to homeroom.” He pulled the other backpack strap over his shoulder. “Thanks for helping.”

As he started to turn, she touched his arm. “Hey, If you’re ever bored, come hang out in the parking lot after school one day. It’s just me and a few other skaters. You probably know one of them.”

“I don’t know how to skate.”

“Neither did I until a few weeks ago. You’d be great with your low center of gravity. Might as well make the best of it right?”

“The best of it?” he asked, feigning ignorance.

“Oh. I mean. You’re shrinking and all.” She winced, then clapped her hand against her forehead. “God, I’m an idiot.”

He paused just long enough for some color to rise to her cheeks. “I’m joking. I knew what you meant.”

She removed her hand from her reddened face. Then, upon seeing his smile, she pushed him gently on the shoulder. “Jerk,” she said, half smiling herself.

The bell rang, and he realized they were alone in the hallway.

“Crap. Uh. Thanks again.” He turned and speed walked away.

“Hey,” she called from behind. “See ya ‘round, Eli.”

He looked back and waved. The way she held her books in front of her and smiled — she reminded him a little of Zoey, though she looked nothing like her. Perhaps it was her smile. Perhaps it was the way she made him feel.

Maybe today wouldn’t be so bad after all.

***

“You late, Eli.” Miss Velasco said, her odd European accent almost as harsh as her intimidating glare. “Take seat.”

He tossed his bag beside his desk and sat down, ignoring the stares and whispers of his classmates. Or at least he tried to ignore them.

“He does look shorter.”

“Wow, I can’t believe he’s really shrinking.”

“I heard his little sister’s taller than him now.”

“Quiet class!” Miss Velasco stepped out from behind her desk. She was a round woman, though not particularly tall. Her stocky build and direct demeanor made her one of the more feared teachers in the school. “As I’m sure you heard, Eli has the shrink gene.”

She paused and looked at everyone in the classroom, seeming to dare anyone to laugh or speak or blink. No one did. No one dared. When her emotionless eyes (seemingly black holes in framed by makeup-coated eyelids) landed on him, she resumed speaking. “Unfortunately for Eli, there is no excuse for tardiness.”

Someone chuckled softly, and Miss Velasco heard it. “Kyle? Something you’d like to tell class?”

“No. Uh.” As the top swimmer in our class, and as a typical jock, he radiated an air of fearlessness, even in front of Miss Velasco. “I was just thinking his legs are getting shorter. So maybe he should get a little more time.” The amusement in his voice belied any sincerity that his words may have carried.

Muffled laughter could be heard throughout the rest of the class and Eli could feel his face changing colors. How did everyone already know he had the shrink gene? He himself didn’t find out till last Wednesday and this was his first day back.

“This is funny?” Miss Velasco asked and the room got dead quiet again. “Kyle, this school has anti-bullying policy. Yes?”

“Yes, ma’am.” The undertone of mirth in his voice hadn’t vanished. “I was just —”

“Verbal abuse? Embarrassing your classmate? Yes?” Miss Velasco asked.

“He’s not embarrassed.” The amusement had finally gone from Kyle’s voice as he defended himself. Eli stared hard at a deep cut in his desk, one that pre-existed his time there. He tilted his head downward to hide as much of his face as possible with his hair.

“Class, what do you think? Did Kyle bully Eli?” Miss Velasco peered around the room. Feet shuffled and a few pencils rolled on desks.

“Yes he did.” A clear, familiar voice from the back. A defiant voice.

Zoey’s voice.

Great.

“And why is that, Zoey?”

“He’s obviously embarrassed.” Zoey’s tone gained volume like a train gaining momentum. “I know I would be. Almost the whole class was laughing. Why do y’all think Haley’s being homeschooled? It’s like someone sharing they have cancer and making a joke about thinning hair. It’s disgusting. And if it’s not bullying, I don’t know what is.”

“Well said, Zoey.” Miss Velasco focused her glare. “Kyle?”

“I don’t know. I mean I was just joking around. I’m sorry I guess.”

“Why you telling me?” Miss Velasco asked.

“Hey Eli, I’m sorry if I embarrassed you.”

Cringe. The day could NOT get any worse.

“See me after class today, Kyle.” Miss Velasco didn’t wait for him to respond. “As for everyone else, you will treat Eli with respect and consideration, same as any other student. If I hear otherwise, school policy has punishments for bullying including suspension and expulsion. Am I clear?”

“Yes Miss Velasco.” Eli didn’t join the chorus of replies. He just stared at the deep cut, wondering who had carved it into the wood and why — anything to take his mind off the current situation.

“I’ll be taking volunteers for watchers. Remember you’ll be responsible for Eli’s safety as he travels from class to class, and ensuring that he gets there on time. In return, you get free premie training and licensing along with the respect of peers and faculty. To volunteer, write your name on piece of paper and place it in box.” She pointed to a wooden fixture that looked like a mix between a mailbox and a bird feeder.

Eli didn’t hear anyone hurrying to rip off pieces of paper. What if no one volunteered? Would he be stuck with a teacher following him (and eventually carrying him) from class to class? On second thought, a teacher would probably be better than a student.

Especially considering the rumors he’d heard of Haley’s experience.

***

“I can’t believe the whole school found out before I did!” As soon as he exited homeroom, Zoey caught up with him and ‘guided’ him into an inconspicuous recess in the hallway. She loomed over him, literally, and backed him into the corner.

“Sorry.”

When they’d started dating two years ago, they were the same height. She’d grown much faster and stood a good two inches over him when she’d dumped him late last year — probably because of their height difference, though she’d never admit it. Now, one of the tallest girls in his class, she had to be at least half a foot taller him.

“Sorry? Is that it?” She reached for his shoulder then stopped, perhaps afraid to touch him now that they were alone. “I texted you all weekend, wondering where you’d been the last couple days. I was worried, Eli.”

“I know. I just…” He didn’t want to tell her that he’d uninstalled Viber, the application they’d used for texting. Her family limited her phone usage, so she rarely sent SMS texts.

“You’re being selfish. You didn’t used to be that way. We used to…” She dropped her red bag and wiped her eye. She always could be dramatic and wasn’t afraid to turn on the waterworks when necessary. “We used to tell each other everything.”

“I know.”

She crossed her arms, covering the pink-purple highlights at the ends of her light colored hair. “You said we’d still be friends. You promised me. Now it’s like you dont even…” She looked away and rolled her eyes, wiping them again. “It’s like you don’t even care.”

He did care, but it hurt. He’d loved her, and she dumped him. It was too hard to read her texts and not want to cry, too hard to watch her hanging out with the jocks because they were cool and he wasn’t. They used to be nerds together. Over time, she dyed her hair blond, replaced her glasses with contacts, and...developed. She’d left him in the dust without even looking back.

That’s what he wanted to say. Instead, he said, “I’m sorry.”

She tilted his head up, likely so that he couldn’t hide his own watery eyes, then shook her head.

“You idiot.” She pulled him into a hug, a tight one, one that pressed her chest into his neck. He didn’t care. He let the tears flow, crying onto the shoulder of her fluffy sweater. She wore her favorite perfume, kenzo flower, likely still the one he’d purchased for her birthday. The thought alone made him cry even harder. It didn’t matter if anyone saw him now, he’d already hit rock bottom in an ocean of embarrassment.

After they finally separated, she leaned in and wiped his face with a tissue. She always had stuff like that handy. “You’re going to be alright. I’m going to make sure of it.”

She must think his tears were for his condition instead of his love for her. Best to let her think that. They could never be together again anyway, not when he’d be the size of a doll by this time next year. Likely much sooner at the current rate.

“I’ve already volunteered to be your watcher, at least for the classes we share. You’re ok with that right?”

“Yeh.” His heart was ok with it but his brain wasn’t. Or maybe it was the other way around. “Thanks.”

“Don’t you dare skip school again, and if you ignore my texts I’m going to pummel you.” She gave a tearful laugh, bopping him on the head. “I can do that now, and you can’t stop me.”

He smiled in spite of himself and grabbed her wrist before she could bop him again. She twisted easily away and delivered a flurry of light punches to his chest until they were both laughing and breathing heavy, her body nearly pressing him to the wall.

As her face drew close, her smile faltered and she took a deep breath.

He should’ve gone for it. One last kiss. He could still do it. But what would it accomplish? They could never be together. Not really…

Ahhhhh! Carter was right — he had no confidence. No wonder she’d left him. Who’d want to date a coward?

“Alright.” She wiped the smudges from her eyes, then smiled a heart-stopping smile. “I’m watching you starting today. Let’s get to biology.”

“Ok.” Eli knew she wasn’t his watcher, not yet, not officially anyway. But, he could never resist her.

That much hadn’t changed and probably never would.

***

Eli sat alone at lunch, hiding out in the school library instead of eating in the cafeteria with everyone else. Zoey didn’t share the same lunch period, so she wouldn’t miss him, and he usually sat alone even when dining in the designated areas. Technically, the library was off limits during lunch hour, but no one enforced the rule so long as food and drink didn’t enter the premises. He wasn’t the only student there today, but the others minded their business.

Since the morning fiasco, the rest of the day had gone smoothly, boring even. Biology and English offered no surprises. Though he felt more eyes on his back than usual, most in class seemed as bored as him. He attracted attention as something more interesting than a lecture, but less interesting than the internet. As soon as class ended, everyone ignored him, hypnotized by their handheld devices. Thank god for Wifi — not even the shrink gene could compete with it.

After finding some privacy between two shelves at the back of the library, he unwrapped a granola bar and bit down, studying the consistency. How much larger did it feel in his mouth? The texture of the oats and nuts felt the same as he remembered, but surely it wouldn’t for long. How could he even digest the food if his molecules shrank further? He’d listened enough in biology to know how enzymes worked. Cellular respiration, glycolysis, ATP, and all that stuff. But how could it occur when the food molecules were larger than normal?

He didn’t have the answers and neither did anyone else. Many premies had volunteered themselves to science in return for lavish lifestyles and promises of a cure. He considered them guinea pigs and felt sorry for them, shuddering to imagine the science ‘experiments’ they endured. From everything he’d read, no one had discovered any answers to questions such as how digestion took place. Certainly no one had found anything close to a cure yet. Science couldn’t even predict who would shrink or when, as the ‘gene’ only became detectable weeks before it’s expression, like a random mutation simultaneously altering the DNA of every cell in the body — something that shouldn't be possible. In the decades since the discovery of the shrink gene, the only breakthrough had been a controversial treatment to help repair premie tissue damage, though it’s cost and side effects made it all but inaccessible.

Refusing to continue this pointless train of thought, Eli reflected on his encounter with Parker this morning. She’d stopped to help him, something no one ever did, at least not at this school. She’d even invited him to meet her after classes. Normally, he’d dismiss the idea without giving it a second thought — he went through a lot of trouble to avoid people — but he still regretted not kissing Zoey this morning, and Carter’s words ate at him.

With renewed determination, he texted Ally: not taking bus home. music club.

He wasn’t sure how he’d get home. Worst case scenario, he’d walk the four miles. Best case, his mom or someone would pick him up. When he’d attended music club regularly in seventh grade, Lance’s mom would drive him home. Since then, Lance had moved, and Eli didn’t know anyone who attended the club nowadays. He wouldn’t be going to the club of course, but it served as a decent alibi, so long as no one did any digging.

Somehow the riskiness of his decision cheered him up. In a way, it helped prove, at least to himself, he wasn’t a coward. For the rest of today, he wouldn’t hide in a corner; he’d face his fears and try something new. It could backfire. He knew that much for sure. But at least he wouldn’t have to deal with more regret.

Regret sucked.

***

Eli hid behind the industrial recycling bin, peeking around the rusted edge like a stealthy ninja preparing for combat. Except he wasn’t a ninja, and it was broad daylight, and the few kids remaining at the bus loading ramp could see him if they merely looked his direction. He opened his backpack and pretended to toss some papers into the bin.

After the last bus had departed, he snuck another look at the far end of the nearly empty parking lot. Three boys took turns jumping off a small ramp, nothing more than a piece of plywood leaning against a few cinder blocks. However, Parker was nowhere to be seen. Where did she go? She’d been there a couple minutes ago, when he’d last —

A tap on his shoulder. “Boo.”

“Shit!” He jumped and almost fell forward onto the pavement, but braced himself against the bin at the last moment.

“Now we’re even.” Parker laughed, her gray eyes sparkling in the sunlight. She dropped her sticker-covered board and rolled it back and forth with one foot. “What are you doing over here?”

Heart thumping and head spinning, he shrugged, wishing desperately to retreat into the dark confines of the trash receptacle and remain there until morning.

“You ok?” Concern etched into her face where her smile had been. “I’m really sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you that bad. I just saw you heading this way — ”

“I was just waiting.” Not hiding. He definitely wasn’t hiding. “You looked...busy and…” He swallowed in defeat. Might as well be honest. “I’m not very good at meeting new people.”

“Oh.” Her smile returned. “I’m not either actually. But it’s just my brother and his friends. You probably know Wes. I think he’s in a couple of your classes.”

“Yeh.” He’d seen Wes in social studies but had never spoken with him, not even once. Talk about awkward. Then again, Wes usually slept through the class, his head precariously propped on his hand in such a way that he appeared to be paying attention. Some jokingly called him the Sandman.

“C’mon, I’ll introduce you. They’re mostly dorks, but they’re harmless.”

Harmless or not, they were boys and she was a girl and surely one of them wanted to be her boyfriend. In spite of the fact that she wore a baseball cap, no makeup and male clothing, no one could deny her attractiveness. Attractive? Since when did he find her attractive?

This whole situation was a bad idea. He trudged further into it like a prisoner into an execution chamber.

Confidence. Confidence. Confidence. He’d made the decision to show up, and there was no turning back, so he might as well make the most of it — even if that meant faking that he wasn’t about to have a nervous breakdown.

Parker skated in front of him, skillfully weaving from side to side to maintain a speed equal to his pace. Had she really only been skating for a few weeks? She didn’t appear to be showing off, just enjoying the day. The spring air carried the scent of honeysuckle and other flowers that he couldn’t identify. It also carried her straight hair in waves, whipping against her slim shoulders like a blue cape.

She skidded to a halt and flipped her board into her hand, just as Wes came flying down the ramp, almost slamming into her.

“Idiot.” She slapped him on the back as he raced by, causing him to wobble for a moment.

“Hey Parker. Who’s your boyfriend?” A scraggly haired boy with a ripped pink shirt and hoodie called out before lighting a cigarette. At least it looked like a cigarette from the distance, but the way he held it seemed different.

“He’s not my boyfriend.” She didn’t say it in a spiteful way, but somehow, the words still stung even though they were entirely true.

“Better not be.” The tallest of the three, wearing black rimmed glasses and green knit hat barrelled toward Eli. At the last minute, his board went sideways and he stopped, but not before causing Eli to flinch. “My sister ain’t old enough to date.”

“Gross. I mean. We’re not dating.” She crossed her arms, dropping her skateboard in the process. “You guys are idiots.”

“Wow.” Her brother grabbed Eli’s shoulder. “Dude you just got friendzoned so hard.”

She shoved her brother so fast he tumbled onto his side. His pads absorbed the impact and he laughed with Wes, who had turned around and veered back toward the action. The guy smoking didn't laugh. He had a lazy smile on his smoke wreathed face.

“Eli, this is my idiot brother, Nick. You already know Wes, and that’s Gavin.” She pointed to the one who still hadn’t moved, nor had he made any attempt to speak after lighting up. “I told you they were dorks.”

“Wait. Do I know you?” Wes hopped off his board and leaned in close, red-rimmed eyes squinting, like a connoisseur at an art gallery. “Holy shit. You’re the shrinking kid. Ya, man I heard about you today. Sorry bro.”

“For real?” Nick stumbled to his feet and placed his hand directly on top of my head, as if he were attempting to palm a basketball. “Thought you looked a little short to be Parker’s boyfriend.”

She popped him in the arm so hard that even Eli sensed the sting.

“Owww!” Nick shuffled backwards and stepped on his board in one smooth motion, gliding away while speaking. “Just fuckin’ with ya man. She’s a lesbian anyway.”

“I’m going to kill you.” Parker jumped on her board and raced after him. She even followed him up the ramp, jumping off and landing on the other side without skipping a beat.

Eli wanted to die. A bullet in the head would preferable to another second of breathing, but he’d made up his mind to endure at least one day of torture. He walked toward Gavin, the only one not currently speeding around the parking lot.

“Sorry man. That’s some heavy shit.” Gavin definitely wasn’t smoking a cigarette. The sweet smell of pot invaded Eli’s nostrils. “Wanna’ hit?” He held out an unfiltered, dirty inch of a joint, and suddenly, Eli’s wish had been granted. Marijuana, the metaphorical bullet.

Still, he shook his head, too much of a coward to do something illegal on school grounds. “No thanks.”

“It’s all good man.” Gavin reached into his shirt and pulled out a little baggie which appeared to contain a couple of small joints. “You ever need to escape, just toke one of these.”

“Thanks.” As if in a dream, Eli watched his hand take the baggie and slip it into his pocket. He’d just participated in his first drug deal and the feeling of coolness counteracted some of the humiliation. Not all of it, but enough to make him feel like he actually belonged, if only a little.

“Yeh man.” Gavin nodded, like a wizened old man. “You ever run out, you know where to find me. Best prices at the school.” He took a final drag from what remained of the joint and smashed the remainder into the concrete with his shoe. Then, he stood and leapt onto his board, somehow changing from old man to agile teen in the blink of an eye — as if his system had magically recovered from it’s intoxication, blessing him instead with nimbleness and speed.

While watching, Eli thumbed the baggie in his pocket, consoled that no matter how embarrassed he got, he could use it to escape, if only for a few hours. Eventually, Parker stopped chasing her brother and joined him, popping her skateboard into the grass.

“Wanna’ try?” she asked, offering her board to him.

“Uh. Sure.” He placed the board on the ground with both hands, and stepped on it with his left foot.

“Wait. First step up here with me.” She pointed to the grass where she stood.

“Ok.” He stepped over the curb and stood beside her.

“You used your right foot, so use right foot forward on the board. It’s very important.”

“Ok.” He stepped on the board, pushed off, and rolled for a few seconds until a wobble caused him to jump off.

“Good.” She appeared beside him. Apparently he hadn’t been going that fast. “I told you your center of gravity would make you a natural.”

“It’s kinda fun.”

“Wait ‘till you hit your first nosegrind.” Wes jumped onto the curb and slid with the back wheels up for a second before tumbling into the grass.

“Ignore him.” She took hold of Eli’s shoulders. “Now step onto the board with both feet pointed to the side, right foot first.”

He complied, bending his knees and wobbling slightly.

“Ok. Now I’m going to push you. Just go with it and focus on balancing.”

Without waiting for a response, she walked alongside him, pressing gently against his hip with one hand. Her distracting touch made it difficult to focus, but he managed somehow. This continued for several minutes. She encouraged him, teaching him the basics of turning and braking. He envied her confidence and found himself wanting to improve, wanting to spend more time with her.

Lost in the sweetness of her voice, he didn’t notice when one of the front wheels hit a large pebble. Tilting forward, he lost his balance and crashed into the pavement. His right elbow and forearm absorbed the brunt of the impact.

“Oh no!” Parker bent over him. Her hair touched his face, making the pain in his arm seem like nothing.

“It’s alright.” He sat and extended his arm, then pulled back the bloodied sleeve to reveal a quarter-sized scrape. The blood made it look worse than it was.

“Nice rash, dude!” Nick flew by, giving a thumbs-up.

“The nurse’s office is still open.” Parker took his good arm and helped him stand.

“I don’t need —”

“We’re going.” With her skateboard under one arm, she grabbed his hand and pulled him along toward the school building. “This is my fault. You should’ve been wearing pads.”

“You’re not wearing any.”

She looked back for a moment, then continued walking. “I lied when I said I’d only been skating a few weeks. I’m sorry. I just didn’t want to scare you away.”

“It’s ok.” Why did everyone think he was scared? Did he broadcast it in some way? “I’m glad you invited me.”

She half turned her head, enough for him to see her signature smirk. “Even though I tried to kill you?”

He laughed, then gave her hand a brief squeeze, more instinctual than intentional. She turned forward and quickened her pace, almost forcing him into a jog, but she didn’t let go. In fact, it seemed as if she’d increased her grip.

She did stop talking, however, and he kicked himself for that. He’d probably freaked her out.

His stomach flipped, then sank as they walked, as if he’d eaten a bowling ball for lunch, even though he’d hardly eaten anything. It wasn’t just nerves. He knew this feeling from before, and it wasn’t good.

After re-entering the school, they went straight for the nurse’s office but the door was shut. She knocked, then they waited. He switched from one foot to the other, trying to stave off the nausea.

She turned the knob. “Locked.”

“It’s ok, really.” He twisted his arm so he could get a better look. “It’s already clotted.” He swallowed the bile that threatened to rise in his throat.

She took hold of his arm. “We need to put antiseptic on it, else it’ll get infected.”

“I’ll just call my mom to pick me up. It’s ok.” He pulled his arm away from her, struggling to speak, like his tongue had become fat. “Um, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

He waved then took off down the hallway, leaving the stunned girl standing there, skateboard in hand. She’d get over it. Better to leave her confused than have her see what was about to happen.

“Wait! Eli!”

He looked back over his shoulder. She’d started following him. He took a sharp right down a side hallway and broke into a run. The exercise jolted his stomach, and he paused long enough to dry heave a few times. He’d hardly had any lunch so nothing came up.

“Eli! Stop!” She was running now too, only a few classrooms behind him.

He sprinted to his favorite hiding spot — the library — turned into one of the aisles at the back and collapsed to the floor, breathing heavily. In spite of the recent exertion, chills creeped through his skin. He sat and pulled his knees to his chest, wrapping them with his arms.

He waited. The waiting was the worst part. Waiting for his world to change again, to be smaller and weaker and everything else that came with shrinking. At least Parker wouldn't find him. No one ever found his hiding spot. Then again, no one had ever looked for him this intently.

“Eli.” A whisper from the aisle over. Movement barely visible in the spaces between the books.

He held his breath, but coughed through his nose. It wasn’t loud, but neither was the library.

It was enough.

“Eli.” Parker’s voice from behind him. “What’s wrong?” She sat beside him. “Did I do something wrong?”

He shook his head. “No.”

“Then why were you running?” Brows knitted in concern, she picked at her thumbnail.

“I’m about to s-shrink again,” he said, teeth chattering. “It’s emb-embarras-sing.”

“Don’t be embarrassed. You can’t help it.” Her tone brightened. “If you want, I’ll tell you an embarrassing story about me. I have lots of them.”

“That sssok.” A shiver interrupted his halfhearted smile.

“You’re freezing.” She sat with her knees up like him and scooted directly beside him. Drawn to her heat, he wanted to lean against her body, but resisted.

“How long does it take?” she asked.

“I d-don’t know. A f-few more minutes.”

They sat in silence for what seemed like an eternity. But it was a comfortable silence. Parker broke it, speaking a little too loudly.

“I’m not a lesbian.”

Of all the things she could have said, he didn’t expect her to say that. He glanced at her face, met her searching eyes, then looked away, his cheeks reddening in spite of the chill.

Screw it. He couldn’t live his life in fear.

“I — I liked holding your h-hand.”

Silence. Unbearable silence. Like the world had frozen, his heart the only moving object for miles around.

Then, the warmth of fingertips on the back of his hand. And a whisper.

“Me too.”