- Text Size +

Rambling Man, Gambling Man

Using the layer of eye pad, Oliver wrapped around himself and curled up for the night. His attempted slumber was fitful at best, jerking awake every time Melody moved. When he did truly fall asleep, it was borne of fatigue and he crashed hard.

It wasn’t until the sound of Melody moving around the room the following morning that roused him from his dead slumber. The bedside lamp was on, but without a window in the room or a clock he could see, he had no idea what time it might be. Stretching, he yawned and scrubbed his eyes as the enormous girl exited the room.

Was it morning? He needed to pee. Walking to the edge of the shelf, he yawned again and started to urinate onto the carpet below. Mid-stream, Melody stepped back into the room carrying a white towel with pink lettering. Grabbing his penis to choke off the piss, he remain immobile, eyes riveted to the girl, fearing any movement might inadvertently catch her eye.

“What was this doing across my door?” inquired Melody, a quizzical expression on her face.

Another girl appeared through the door. Teagan. “Sersei brought them by last night to contain Oliver. She thinks he might have made it up the stairs so in case he did she wanted to trap him in a room until each of them has been searched,” she answered.

Melody nodded slowly, “Okay, I get it now,” she said.

“Then once the room has been searched, the towel will seal off your room until she has tracked him down. Both Sersei and Cerys cleared the main floor and have been scouring the upstairs for him and there are only a handful of rooms left to search, yours being one of them,” Teagan stated.

Melody pursed her mouth and shook her head, “He better hope Sersei finds him before Cerys,” she said.

Oliver swallowed hard, a sense of impending dread twisting his insides. All either girl had to do was look his way and the search would be over.

“Miss Frost decreed the order of possession holds, so it doesn’t matter which one of them finds him, Sersei still has dibs,” Teagan explained.

“Lucky for him, well sort of,” Melody offered, moving back toward the door and motioning Teagan out before stepping out into the hall herself.

Letting out a long slow breath, Oliver finished relieving himself. It would seem his run of good fortune from the night previous had run its course. It was only a matter of time before Sersei or one of the other Omegas came to the room intent on finding him. Shifting back between the two stuffed plush toys, he glanced at his little hideout. In two seconds flat, they would know he had taken up residence there.

Drinking his fill from the toothpaste cap, he slid the loops of floss over his shoulder and put his peanut heart and a half in the gauze. He needed to move, conscious time was rapidly running out.

The towel was jammed into the space under the door, though under the hinge side near the jamb not very tight. Probing the material, he found he wriggle through, using the door and towel as a cover to peek out into the hall. Glancing down the hall toward Maeve’s room, there was another towel at the bottom of her door. Had they searched there yet? He didn’t know. One thing he did know was that they hadn’t searched Melody’s room yet and he needed to get out of there before they did.

Up the hall, or back down toward the kitchen? Either way, his degree of exposure put him at high risk of capture. Rolling out, he chose the devil you don’t know and moved up the hall. Reaching the corner, he leaned out to look down the corridor, several doors on either side, some with towels, some without. Darting across the hall, he rushed to the first door without a towel, only to find the gap under it blocked from the inside of the room.

A door opened and Melody appeared in the hall.

Pressing himself under the door against the towel, he watched she approached.

“Mel?” Squirreled away as he was, he couldn’t see the speaker but there was no mistaking the voice, Sersei.

Melody stopped next to the door he was under and turned back. “Oh hey, Teagan said you wanted to check my room for Oliver,” she said.

“Please,” Sersei replied sweetly.

The door above Oliver suddenly opened inward, dislodging the towel and dragging him partway into the room, the rough underside of the door cruelly scraping the skin of his bare chest. Wincing through the pain, he pushed at the dislodged towel, able to pull himself the rest of the way under the door.

“I thought I heard voices,” said a female voice belonging to Brooklynn.

Ignoring the red scrapes discoloring his chest, he shifted his possession and homemade machete before employing all haste to skirt along the baseboard and find refuge under the tall dresser adjacent to the wall.

“He’s up here, I feel it,” he heard Sersei say with a menacing chuckle as he ducked into the shadows around the nearest dresser leg.

“So no luck yet?” Brooklynn inquired, leaning against the side of the door.

“Just a few more rooms and I’ll have him,” Sersei said confidently.

Oliver grinned slyly.

Noting the running apparel, “You’re not planning on going out for a run are you? Vesper and Miss Frost are here and there’s going to be an all house meeting in a little while,” Sersei informed.

“Crap. My period is pretty much done and I was looking forward to a good hard run,” Brooklynn complained.

“After maybe,” Sersei countered.

“Maybe,” Brooklynn replied.

“Do you want to go look at my room?” Melody asked.

“Sure,” Sersei replied, exchanging a few parting words with Brooklynn.

Closing her door, Brooklynn crouched down, tucking the towel securely back under the door. Satisfied, she grabbed her rolled up yoga mat and unfurled on the floor in the center of the room. Sitting on the mat, she started limbering up and stretching.

Leaning against the dresser leg, Oliver slid down into a seated position, examining the raised welts on his chest. While he had successfully eluded Sersei and whoever else she had looking for him, he did have to abandon his only supply of water. A half ass search of Melody’s room would reveal the toothpaste cap, which would lead the searchers to her shower kit confirming his presence on the second floor. Maybe Sersei’s confidence wasn’t overly cocky? How long could he play this cat and mouse game in a house full of cats? “Come on Deacon,” he whispered aloud.