- Text Size +

Where O Where Has My Little Lamb Gone?

The swoon was at an end, the hold over the women released. Eyes closed, Sersei slumped forward, residual sensations danced across her sweat slickened skin as she pulled her robe up onto her shoulders. Bit by bit she returned to herself as the paradoxical sense of pain and pleasure subsided in her body, though the roaring in her ears would take a few hours to pass.

Blinking a few time to encourage her eyes to focus, the sisters all around her appeared to be in similar condition, except she spotted Brooklynn and Monroe near the altar engaged in what looked to be a fairly animated conversation with Vesper.

Struggling up onto unsteady feet, she walked toward the trio, eyes drifting over to the slab. Weren’t Brooklynn and Monroe supposed to be attending to the post swoon logistics?

“What’s going on?” she croaked, her voice hoarse, throat raw, mouth dry.

Turning to look at Sersei, Brooklynn pursed her lips and shook her head, “Oliver, he’s gone,” she said, spreading her hands apart.

“Gone? I don’t understand,” Sersie said, touching a hand to her sore throat.

“We came to get him to do the impression and relocate him to the box, but he was gone,” Monroe provided, shrugging her shoulders.

Eyes narrowing, Sersei glanced over at Edith Frost.

The grey haired noticed the look, “Relax girl, had it been my intent to claim your little prize, I would not stoop to abduction,” she replied, a wry smile on her flawless face.

“Where is he?” Sersei asked, though the question was more rhetorical than directed at anyone in particular.

“There has never been a case where the offering has been entirely consumed, so he must be here someplace,” Vesper replied, frowning.

Around the room, other sisters were getting to their feet. Cerys approached, expression fierce, “What seems to be the problem?” she demanded peremptorily.

Neither intimidated nor willing to accept the curt tone, “Quiet yourself girl,” Edith chastised sternly, expression conveying her displeasure.

Cowed, Cerys remained quiet.

“Perhaps you should check on Harmony while we try to unravel where young mister Haynes has gotten to,” Vesper said to Sersei, nodding toward the slight girl still sitting on the ground.

Knowing there was no point brooking Vesper, Sersei nodded, walking over to Harmony and crouching down.

Looking up, face pale, “I feel like I want to throw up,” Harmony said.

Placing a comforting hand on the girl’s shoulder, “The first time can be a little rough,” Sersei commiserated.

Harmony shook her head, “I…,”

“Come on, let’s get you up on your feet,” Sersei encouraged, slipping a hand under Harmony’s arm and helping her stand.

Still shaky, Harmony steadied herself by putting a hand on Sersei, “I don’t like this,” she babbled, swiping her free hand across her damp brow.

Crouched down beside the slab. “Here, I think I’ve found something,” Monroe exclaimed, looking over to Vesper and pointing down at a set of seven tiny white footprints, each getting progressively fainter leading away from the slab toward the door.

Several of the sisters gather around Monroe.

“Salt prints,” Vesper said, nodding, a slow smile spreading over her face.

“Sorry?” Monroe replied.

Pointing at the drying pool of Oliver’s perspiration on the slab, “Salt print from drying sweat,” she explained.

Several heads turned to look in the direction of the print’s orientation.

Making sure Harmony was able to stand independent of support, Sersei left the other girl and came over to Monroe, kneeling down to examine the little footprints. Turning to the door, “He’s somewhere here in the house,” she said, voice rising as realization dawned on her. Getting back to her feet, she pushed through a couple of others and hurried toward the door.

“Well now, doesn’t this add a little bit of flavor to this evening’s festivities,” Edith offered with an amused chuckle.

“Oliver?” Sersei called out, eyes scanning down low for any signs of movement. Several other filed out into the hall, eyes searching.

“Come on out Oliver,” Brooklynn coaxed, “you really don’t want to get accidently stepped on.”

“She’s right Oliver, there’s really nowhere you can go sweetie,” Sersei added, glancing at the stairs and frowning. There had been a couple of incidents where little ones had gotten away from their caretakers and managed to get down stairs, but up, could he have possibly found a means or way up the stairs?

Following Sersei’s eyes, “You don’t think he could climb the stairs do you? We didn’t see anything when we came down,” Brooklynn said.

Vesper appeared in the hall, “Girls, you need to spread out and look for him. Chances are he’ll still be somewhat discombobulated and more than likely wrestling with what has happened. My guess is he hasn’t gone far and is probably holed up,” she instructed, giving directions.

“Finders keepers?” asked Cerys, a sly grin on her face as she pulled her long dark hair back.

Vesper turned to look at Edith for a ruling.

Bringing a finger to her lips, the grey haired beauty tapped it a couple of times thoughtfully, “I think for now the selection order will remain as it was, though special consideration will be given to the sister who finds our wayward little Oliver,” she stipulated.

Inwardly, Sersei let out a huge sigh of relief knowing if Cerys got dibs on him, no one else would likely get a shot on account of her penchant for swallowing little ones when she was finished using them.

Touching Vesper lightly on the shoulder, “May I retire?” Harmony inquired, perfect unblemished skin still pallid.

Smiling at the teenaged girl, “Of course dear,” Vesper permitted, “just be mindful where you step until we’ve managed to recapture Oliver,” she added.

“Thank you,” she replied shyly, sliding passed other a couple of girls down on all fours looking for the boy.

Climbing the stairs out of the basement, she entered the kitchen before using the house’s rear access stairs to get to the second floor and the room she shared with Omega Pi’s only other freshman pledge Acacia.