- Text Size +

Sersei’s Side of the Story

Under Sersei’s hand, Oliver went blank. So too did the other two boys. Allie directed Melody, Monroe, and Gianna to escort Bear Briar down to the ritual chamber in the basement.

Bending at the waist, Sersei planted an unreturned kiss onto Oliver’s partially opened mouth.

“Do we take him back to his dorm room now?” Harmony asked, unfamiliar with the process.

Straightening up, Sersei shook her head, “After the ritual we’ll return him to his place,” she explained, reminding herself this was the first time for her pledge to be involved in the process.

“Can we just leave him like this, I mean won’t he come to or something?” the brunette asked, pursing her mouth.

Laughing, Sersei shook her head again, “The effects usually last about a dozen hours or so. Right now he is completely oblivious, absolutely no idea what’s going on around him right now. I could lay him back and sit on his face for an hour and he would never know,” she stated.

Harmony shook her head. “I apologize if this sounds stupid or ignorant, but I still don’t really understand what it is we are doing here,” she said, tone meek.

“Think about the whole process in sort of scientific terms as defined by the Law of Conservation of Energy. The law states energy can neither be created nor destroyed, merely transformed into different states. Matter is the product of condensed energy in a resting state, that when once enervated, releases energy,” Sersei explained.

Harmony frowned, a perplexed expression on her youthful face.

Sersei chuckled, “Hmm, let me think, oh I know, do you smoke?” she asked.

Looking abashed, Harmony nodded.

“Okay, think of these boys like a cigarette before you smoke it. Without a way to light it, it’s pretty much just useless, right?” she asked.

“Okay,” Harmony replied, uncertain.

“Now, bring fire into the equation and apply of the smoke and the tobacco burns and because energy cannot be destroyed, the stored energy is released in the form of heat as you inhale. You still following what I’m saying?” continued the blonde.

“I think so,” Harmony replied.

“Now what happens when you’re finished smoking the cigarette, what’s left?”

“The butt,” Harmony answered.

“Right, the butt. Now we are going to release the stored energy in Bear Briar and we are going to get to share some of that energy, like taking a puff from the cigarette and when we’re done converting his energy into a useable form, he will end up small,” she clarified.

“Aren’t they still people though?” Harmony asked, brow furling slightly as she gnawed nervously on the inside of her lower lip.

The blonde haired girl chuckled, “You’ve not experienced a harvest before and there are no words I can say that could possibly prepare you for the experience. Once you’ve tasted the flow of energy and feel the things it does to you, you’ll understand. It’s a million times more addictive than any cigarette. The reservations you might be feeling right now are going to be washed away in a tide of pure pleasure, I promise you, you’ll see,” Sersei said, looping her arm through Harmony’s and leading the other girls out of the room and down the stairs.

“But, I mean that doesn’t mean they still don’t have thoughts and feelings,” protested the slimmer girl.

“When you’re finished with a smoke, do you keep the butt?” she asked.

“No,” Harmony replied, allowing herself to be led.

Sersei nodded, but said nothing further as she pulled Harmony through the door into the basement room the sisters called the Star Chamber. There were an assortment of candles everywhere, the flickering flame casting dancing shadows across the walls, the smell of incense coming off the paraffin thick in the poorly ventilated room. There was a single table near the far wall of the room, roughhewn and thick in appearance. Allie stood in front of it.

In the center of the square room, near a raised slab of dark colored polished stone inset into the floor, Bear Briar stood passively, blankly as the three women who had given him wristbands systematically stripped him of his clothing. At their feet, an ornately carved silver colored washbasin.

There was a circle etched into the paving stones of the floor around the raised piece of stone, where the rest of the girls not divesting Bear of his garments stood watching.

With the large youth stripped naked, the girls lay him down atop the slab, each retrieving a cloth from the basin and gently washing his extremities, his powerful chest, and his angular face.

“You, me and Cerys will have to do that for Oliver when we take him, to prepare him,” Sersei whispered to Harmony.

Once the ceremonial cleansing was complete, the girls returned their cloths to the basin, Gianna carrying the bowl out of the circle while Melody and Monroe took up positions in the circle surrounding the slab.

Allie stepped into the circle near Bear Briar’s head, a small, stoppered phial with clear liquid in it in her hands. “He has offered himself of his own volition,” she said, pulling the stopper from the small bottle and sprinkling some of the oily contents down upon the unmoving youth. Replacing the glass stopper, she leaned down and traced her thumb over his forehead. Turning to first to Melody then each of the others with bands about the big man’s wrists,, “Do you accept his declaration of devotion to serve the want of our sisterhood?” she asked.

“I do,” Melody answered back, bowing her head reverently.

“I do,” repeated Monroe, offering Allie a small nod of affirmation.

“I also do,” Gianna confirmed.

“So mote it be,” Allie stated. Loudly.

“So mote it be,” chanted all of the girls around the circle, with the exception of Harmony.

Exiting the circle, Allie returned to the table and set the phial down. Gathering the cloth wrapped bundle containing the Weeping Stone, she turned back to the collection of women around the circle. “Let us begin,” she announced.