- Text Size +

Sersei’s Cover Story

Once at the coffee shop, Oliver got himself a large blueberry muffin and a steaming mug of black java before taking a seat at one of the empty outdoor patio tables fenced in around the front of Cup of Joe’s.

Pulling out his phone, there was a blinking green light in the upper left hand corner of his phone letting him know he had received a message. He hoped it was from Cam explaining what the heck was going on. Instead, it was from Sersie, asking if she could meet up with him. He replied and let her know where he was and she said she would come there in ten minutes.

Absently nibbling away at his muffin, he was lost in his own thought and didn’t see Sersei arrive.

Dressed in a pink Omega Pi shirt and black lululemons, blonde hair tied back, Sersei stood at the edge of his table and cleared her throat to get his attention.

Looking up, he smiled weakly at her, “Sorry I didn’t see you,” he offered, apologizing.

“Really?’ she asked, spreading her arms and doing a slow turn.

“Very nice,” he murmured, nodding appreciatively, instant regretting the motion as if made him feel nauseous.

Hands on hips, she chuckled, “Do you have any idea how haggard you look right now?” she queried amusedly, sliding into the seat across from him.

Manufacturing a feeble grin, “If it’s any consolation, I’m pretty sure I look better than I feel,” he replied, making her laugh softly.

“Poor Oliver,” she said, pouting.

“What the heck was in that drink last night because I was like blotto,” he inquired.

She chuckled again, “Omega Pi secret,” she said, making her already large blue eyes rounder and touching her finger to her smiling lips.

“Whatever it was, man, like moonshine or something,” he commented, taking a drink of coffee.

“I don’t know, I had some and I feel positively amazing. Maybe you’re just a lightweight,” she accused jokingly.

“True story, I’ve never been much of a drinker,” he conceded. Shifting gears, “I woke up this morning and all of Cam’s stuff was gone,” he commented.

Frowning, she nodded, “He had to return home to take care of an obligation for our mother,” she explained.

“But his side of the room is completely cleared out, like everything,” Oliver said.

“Cam had to leave in a hurry and has actually withdrawn from school to be able fulfill the commitment,” she shared, shaking her head slowly.

Oliver frowned, “Well that sucks. He didn’t even say goodbye,” he lamented, sharing hurt feelings.

Reaching out, Sersei patted Oliver on the back of his hand, “Don’t worry I’m positive you’re going to see him much sooner than later,” she consoled, tilting her head slightly and giving him a reassuring smile.

“Who packed?”

“Me and a few of the other sisters helped us gather up his stuff,” she replied.

“While I was there?”

“Dead to the world, like literally a motionless log. You are lucky we were in a hurry because if we had Sharpie’s or a razor,” she chided mirthfully, leaving the rest unsaid.

Oliver tapped his phone, “He didn’t even shoot me a text,” he said.

Sersei pulled out her phone and checked the time. “Right about now he should be landing at SeaTac so my guess is his phone is probably still on airplane mode,” she suggested.

Oliver nodded, that made sense, his phone chimed. Picking it up, it was a message from his absent roommate, “Cam,” he said, swiping the screen and reading the message:

‘Hey Ollie, sorry to just up and leave you on such short notice. Unfortunately there was no other option. I have to take care of a few things and will be out of touch for a while but don’t worry, we’ll get together soon and have a little fun!’

“Speak of the devil,” Sersei chuckled, “and talk about odd timing, so weird,” she added.

Still staring at the device in his hand, Oliver frowned before shaking his head. While the message had definitely come from Cam’s phone, in his gut he knew there was no way this message came from Cam himself. Cam never called him Ollie. Why would Sersei lie about it? Who would pretend to send a message on Cam’s behalf and for what reason? He contemplated. Did Cam do something crazy last night while under the influence of the liquor and they’re trying to keep things hush hush? The more he thought about, the more feasible the explanation seemed to be. What else could it be? If Cam fucked up royally and got himself arrested or something, after all weed was legal in Washington but not here, maybe the family stepped in to avoid some legal entanglement with a potential public relations nightmare? Maybe that’s why Sersei’s demeanor seemed pretty nonchalant. Cam was a bit of a wild card. Did he go too far with one of the girls last night and get himself in over his head? Sersei seemed far too calm for that. For all his talk, Cam wasn’t too much of a rowdy, so he doubted his roommate went on some type of rampage. Plus if it had been it would be all over campus by now, no if it involved the law, it had to be the weed.

Looking up, Oliver smiled, “I hope everything is alright,” he said, giving her an inquisitive look in the hopes maybe she might divulge more about what was going on.

A sparkle appeared in her eye, “With Cam currently attending the obligation, I’m sure he’ll turn it into something small and much more manageable,” she expressed, grinning.

“That’s good,” he agreed. “I know I haven’t been friends with Cam long, but I think we kind of hit it off, so if there’s anything I can do to help, even something small, just let me know,” he offered, tone genuine.

 The grin on her face turned Cheshire, “I’ll remember that,” she said, touching his hand again before getting to her feet. “I’ll chat with you some more later,” she said with a nod.

Oliver nodded in return, watching as she drifted away. Still feeling like crap, he brought the cup to his lips and took another sip. At least he had a theory that helped put matters into a semblance of context.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Next chapter, back to Cam...