- Text Size +

The Friend Zone

After carefully placing each of the shrunken men inside her purse, Cady used Stan’s shirt to retrieve the glowing rock from his pants pocket, setting it in a different compartment. She also took his phone.

“I’m going to lift it up now, you might want to brace yourself,” Cady warned, moving slowly and deliberately to avoid jostling her tiny passengers as she left the car and approached the small older style house. Mounting the few stairs leading into the back porch, she reached out and rapped on the door.

Larissa’s comely face appeared in the back door window, blonde hair with darker roots pulled back, luminous honey colored eyes inquisitive. Opening the door, “What’s up girlfriend, why did you come in the back way?” she asked, broad smile on her face fading as she recognized distress in Cady’s expression.

“I, it’s complicated, but I, we need a place to sort of lie low,” Cady said in a low voice, eyes downcast.

Lips pursing, Larissa’s eyes narrowed as she stepped back into the house, “Sure, come in. We?” she questioned, looking passed the other girl.

Stepping through the door, “Like I said, it is extremely complicated,” Cady replied, shifting out of the way to allow Larissa to close the door.

Moving into the kitchen area, “You’re making me worry, like did you hit somebody with your car or something? And we, who is we?” Larissa queried, becoming concerned.

Setting her purse on the kitchen table, Cady held up her hands, “I know how crazy what I’m about to show you is, but I need you to promise me you won’t freak out,” she demanded.

Growing more alarmed, “Freak out? You’re freaking me right now,” Larissa replied.

“Promise me,” Cady repeated.

Larissa nodded vigorously, hair bobbing, “Of course,” she avowed.

“You remember that boy I told you about?”

“Yes, Deacon,” replied the mostly blonde-haired girl.

“There has been an accident sort of, well,” she reached down and opened her purse. Putting her hand in, she collected Deacon, setting him on the table.

Seeing the tiny figure, Larissa chuckled and shook her head.

Deacon waved.

“Holy shit balls!” exclaimed the blonde, taking a step back from the table.

“That’s Deacon. Wait,” Cady counseled, extracting the other two tiny men and placing them next to Deacon. “This is Stan and Oliver. This is my friend, Larissa,” she introduced.

Completely gobsmacked, “Oh my god, they’re so small. And naked. Why are you all naked?” Larissa babbled, head shaking in disbelief.

Stepping forward, “Because Itty Bitty Baby Gap was closed,” Stan replied with a sly half grin.

Hands on faded blue jean covered thighs, Larissa leaned in closer to get a better look, “This is so messed,” she declared, borderline laughing.

“Sweetheart, I can see how this has probably caught you a little off guard, but for a moment, wrap your pretty skull around how it must seem from this side of the equation,” prompted Stan.

“Like how, how could something like have even happened?” Larissa questioned.

“It’s complicated,” Cady interjected, fishing the shirt-covered rock out of her purse.

“I guess,” Larissa commented.

Putting the Weeping Stone on the table away from the trio of men, “The people who did this to them are looking for them and the stone which is why we need a place to lie low. I am so sorry to spring this on you out of the blue, but we are out of options,” Cady informed.

“Cops, can’t you go to the cops?” Larissa inquired.

Cady shook her head. “Some of them are in on it and there is no guarantee how deep this whole thing goes,” she countered.

Getting even closer, “At this size, you are all so cute,” Larissa murmured, reaching up with her right hand, index finger extended.

Sensing a subtle change in the air, “I think you really need to put that stone somewhere else,” Oliver suggested, “there’s no telling what kind of influence it might be emanating,” he added, flicking a warning glance at Stan.

Also sensing a shift in the girls’ body language, Stan nodded back to Oliver, “Like maybe back out in the car or something,” he suggested.

Cady nodded, using the shirt to pick the stone up and put it back in her purse. “I’ll be right back,” she stated.

Larissa moved her finger closer, touching Oliver lightly on the chest then withdrawing her hand.

“Just like a real boy,” Oliver said cordially.

Looking at her hand, Larissa rubbed her thumb over her forefinger, “So weird,” she murmured.

“Hey, maybe you got some grub up in here somewhere, a cookie maybe, something?” Stan inquired.

Shifting her eyes to Stan, Larissa smiled, “Sure, I’ll see what I can find,” she offered, moving over to the cupboards above the counter.

Motioning the boys closer, “What’s going on?” Stan queried.

Deacon shrugged.

“It’s the stone. Its energy interacts differently with women, triggering a release of hormones or something,” Oliver shared.

Stan scowled, “Goddamn magic bloody rock.”

Employing an Austin Powers’ type accent, “Wait, what, like does it make them horny baby?” Deacon asked, mischievous grin splaying his face.

“I appreciate you find the idea exhilarating, but we really need to be careful,” Oliver explained, raising his eyebrows to emphasize his point.

“It should only be a few hours before Sam can get down here, I’m sure we can fight them off if need be,” Stan chuckled, eyes wandering over to Larissa’s denim clad posterior.

Frowning, Oliver shook his head. “It takes our essence, our energy and I believe it makes us more pliable, malleable to the stone’s influence,” he shared.

“Aha!” shouted Larissa triumphantly, returning to the table with a foil wrapped chocolate chip granola bar. Peeling the packaging open, she set the bar down on the table.

Cady returned, grinning. “I slid it under the car seat,” she shared, walking back over to the table.

Inspecting the bar, Oliver struggled to break off a piece.

Reaching in, “Here, let me,” Larissa offered.

Moving to the edge of the table, Deacon gestured for Cady to get low. “Do you think maybe we might be able to talk somewhere, privately?” he asked.

Nodding, “Sure, I guess,” she replied, lowering her hand to the table, palm up to receive him.

Seeing what was happening, “What are you doing?” Oliver asked.

Climbing into Cady’s hand, “Just talking,” Deacon assured, winking.

Putting a hand on Oliver’s shoulder, “Let him be, we may not have been through what you have, but this is still very new for him and me,” Stan advised before nodding to Deacon.

Letting out a breath, Oliver turned his attention to the bar, broken into more manageable-sized bits by Larissa.

Smiling at Cady, “I’ll watch over these two,” Larissa assured.