- Text Size +

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1073743103 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Cambria",serif; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:12.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Cambria",serif; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} -->

"We need to go. It's time" Chad said sliding off Nara's belly. Nara gave a silent nod. Both were silent as they got dressed. Just 45 minutes prior they had made love and bared their souls. 30 minutes prior they bathed one another. 10 minutes prior, Aeris gave Chad an unusual gift. As he sat on her abdomen, she linked his mind to hers. Suddenly he was seeing what she saw. Aeris magnified her view until they both saw the growing fetus inside her. It was mostly anthropomorphic but Chad saw the inkling of fingers and toes. "Look closer" she said to him zooming further. Aeris zoomed in until he saw a pair of XX chromosomes. "It's a girl. We have a daughter" he said softly. Aeris zoomed in one last time to show him something. "She will be like you" Aeris said pointing to a cluster of genes. Chad was speechless. He laid down on her and kissed her abdomen. He laid there enjoying this perfect moment for the next 9 minutes.  

 

"Chad? Can we get married right now?" Nara asked. Chad wanted to very much. "No" he replied. Nara looked heartbroken. "Don't get me wrong. When this is all over we're going to have a big wedding. So, you have to survive" he said seriously. Nara got it now. An extra incentive to survive this day in history. "Besides, mom would kill me if we eloped" he said. Chad and Nara made their way to the lobby. It was nearly empty. The streets were full of soldiers, militia, and police heading north. Almost no civilians. Chad hopped into the STRIKE X. "Status?" Chad asked. "All systems check out. Civilian evacuations are at 78%. Others are heading to bunkers now. Chad, as I await combat I feel...scared" Ai said. Chad heard a bit of humanity in her. "We all do. Ai, I need to give you an order and you have to promise to obey it at all costs. Can you?" Chad asked. "I'm programmed to..."

 

"Forget programming. You're more than that. You don't need to hide how human you are from me. I won't chain you up" Chad said. Ai's face appeared on his HUD. She looked extremely worried. "Of course" she said softly. "There's a chance I might get killed in this cockpit and you can still function. If that happens locate Nara and keep her safe.  Forget about fighting. Make sure she stays alive at any cost" he said sternly. Ai painfully closed her eyes and nodded. He heard the faint sound of crying over the speaker. "Hey. I'm not planning on dying. This is just one of those things that's gotta be done. And as one of my friends I know I can count on you" he said. Ai shot up. "I'm...your friend?" she asked. "Yes" he said touching the screen. Ai smiled at him. She had been hiding her true emotions for weeks now fearing he or someone would consider her a rouge AI. She didn't know Chad found out she was playing dumb. "How long have you known?" Ai asked. "It was little things. I saw you staring at a sunset. Some of my music showed it was recently played. But most of all was yesterday when we were playing with those kids. I sensed through the connection you having fun. I even felt laughter from you. Real emotion" he said.

 

"Busted" she said. "Yep. Now, let's go to command. Time to get this party started" Chad said. Chad flew Nara to command and met up with Raam. "Ready to make history?" Raam asked. "He better. Family tradition" Rex said coming from behind. "They need the STRIKE X to loading bay 1" Rex said. Chad popped the hatch and stepped out. Rex picked him up and placed him on his shoulder. "Scans show Baris is going to hit the first perimeter at 1043 hrs." Raam said. "How many?" Chad asked. Raam pushed the data to his wristcomm. Chad read it. "Oh god. 4600 confirmed on the ground. 719 combat pilots in the air.  15 dropships.  17 land carriers. And one air combat cruiser taken from St. Petersburg. That's...that's more than we thought" Chad said. "Considerably more. That cruiser alone can carry 130 Ingress personnel and pulverize a city. I don't even want to guess how many antimatter bombs they have. The only saving grace is a third of the ground forces we can see aren't armed with guns. What we feared came true though. Our best scans showed kids in his ranks" Raam said. "What about Kana?" Nara asked. Raam shook his head. "Unknown but it's a safe bet she's in there somewhere" Raam said. "Sir? May I be allowed to speak alone with my son?" Rex asked. "Go ahead. We don't have to dust off for almost an hour" Raam said. Rex nodded and walked away.

 

Rex sat down in a quiet corner of the hanger. He placed his son on his knee. "When you were little you used to crawl all over me. Even caught you hiding in my hair once" Rex said laughing. "Where does the time go?" Rex asked softly. Rex tapped his wristcomm. "Your mother and sister wanted to talk before it began" he said. "Hey mom" Chad said. "Chad! Are you well?" Chen asked. "Yes mom" he replied. Are you eating? You look thinner" Chen said. "Yes mom I'm eating" Chad said. For the next few minutes mother and son made small talk until Chen began shaking. I...I know you'll be fine. You are my child after all and..." Chen broke into sobs. "Oh mom" Chad said. Chad watched as a pair of giant hands picked her up. Down sat his giantess sister. "Hey bro" Jun said. "Hey back at ya. You look better sis" Chad said. "Thanks to you. I never truly thanked you for bringing me home" she said. "You don't need to. You're my goofy sister. I'll always be there for ya" Chad said. "Always?" Jun said shaking. "Cross my heart" Chad said. Her jaw was shaking as she fought back tears.

 

"I love you. I'm sorry if I hadn’t acted like it. I love you. I love you so much!" Jun sobbed. Chad felt a tear roll down his cheek. "Jun? What's very quiet and smells like worms?" Chad asked. Jun looked confused. "Bird farts" he said. Jun began chuckling. "You always had a bad taste in jokes" she said. "It got you to stop crying" he said. Jun smiled at him. "I want you and mom to begin planning a wedding. When this is all over your brother is gonna get married" Chad said. Jun nodded. "I love you Jun. tell mom I love her too" Chad said. Jun waved at him painfully as he closed the comm. "It doesn't get easier son" Rex said. "Dad, what was that day like? The time before the Battle of Osaka" Chad asked. "Honestly like any other day. The sun shined. Birds chirped. It was people that were different. Everyone knew the stakes. What we were facing. There were hundreds of weddings that day. Me and your mothers included. The chaplains were running ragged trying to get everyone married. Hell, I heard some got married on the damn dropships. It wasn't a great mystery that so many hybrid kids were born nearly exactly 6 and 9 months later heh heh"

 

"If you mean we're we scared? You bet your ass we were. The enemy had the Ark for fuck sakes. The most powerful ship in existence. Even if half of it was buried under earth it still could kill us by the thousands. The most dangerous enemy is a desperate one. We had her cornered and she knew it. Our greatest fear was she'd detonate the reactors. A dozen 500 megaton explosions and we'd be no more. Tens of thousands vaporized instantly. Talking about fighting like no tomorrow. People pissed themselves, threw up, as it came time to head out. The humans were the scared the most. Imagine giant beings fighting to the death all around you. Just a stray shot could wipe out your entire squad. Some think the STRIKE pilots had it the easiest. Fuck that. Flying around with a nuke on your back? Not for me. Everyone had something to fear. Humans feared being crushed, vaporized, or eaten. Ingress feared being shot by former friends. But I think the universal fear we all had that day was leaving someone behind" Rex said.

 

"What about mom?" Chad asked. "Your mother is a strong woman. Strongest human I had ever met at that point. She had lost her entire family just a month prior and still she kept going. Through that morning and through that ceremony she didn't cry, shake or seemed bothered at all. However, when we snuck off for some quiet time that changed. There was a natural spring nearby and we sat looking at the scenery. She had taken off her little boots and socks and kicked her feet in the water.  "Eve looked so cute didn't she?" I asked. "Yes she did. Even that big she looks a lot like Aaron" she replied. "Who will our kids look like?" I asked. She stopped kicking her feet. "You know I've been thinking about where we can live after all this. Somewhere warm and nice. Florida? How about Hawaii? Heard it's very pretty there. What do you think?" I asked. Your mother violently kicked the water and stood up. "What's wrong? Something I said?" I asked. "Why make plans for the future? We could die tomorrow. It's cruel. Cruel!" she yelled. I could hear her quietly crying.

 

"Chen. You can't think that way" I said. "You don't understand! I lost everything except you! If you died...I couldn't go on" she said quietly. I gently picked her up and bought her to my chest. "Jun if it's a girl. Chadwick if it's a boy. We're gonna retire in Hawaii. You'll be a stay at home mom" I said. "Stop. Stop it" she said. "WE ARE GOING TO LIVE CHEN CYRUS!" I yelled. She looked up at me with the same look she had that day we first met; fragile, tiny, and helpless. You mother gripped my shirt and cried her eyes out. That's what your mother is like. She internalizes her pain and worries until she just can't. You're a soldier now so I'm going to tell you what you need to remember to stay alive. Survive your battles because you're needed by others. When you think you can't keep going reach deep down and find the perfect memory of why you love that special someone and keep going on" Rex said.

 

Rex picked his son up and cupped him to his face. "I love you so so much" Rex said.  "Dad? Are you crying?" Chad asked. "No shame in a man crying kiddo" Rex replied. All his life Chad saw his father as the strongest, biggest man he knew. Brave and unflinching. Now he didn't see him like that. He saw a father scared to death of losing a child. Nara being pregnant, he understood. "Love you too dad" Chad said. Rex placed him back on the ground. "I should get going. I'm assigned to lead the 22nd infantry" Rex said. "Watch you back old man" Chad said saluting. "That's Colonel Old Man to you Captain Cyrus" Rex said grinning and saluting.

 

Chad walked around for a bit. He watched soldiers get into formation. Air defense guns whir up for testing. Combat pilots checking equipment, mech's, talking to loved ones. Some even praying in huddles. What caught his eye was some were Ingressa mixed in. This fight had united them in ways nobody thought possible. "You ready?" Nara said walking up behind him. Chad turned and looked up at the giantess. She was sipping a drink and wearing the prototype comm suit. "Yeah. I think I am" Chad said. Nara placed him on her shoulder as they walked to where his machine was. "Can I have some?" he asked pointing to her drink. Nara squeezed out a drop on her finger and Chad drank from it. Nara couldn't help but chuckle. "Lemonade?" Chad asked. "For my throat. Lots of singing today" she said. "Hope you have a good singing voice. Then again if not it could be a good weapon" Chad laughed. "Ha fucking ha" Nara said. Chad hopped into the STRIKE X.

 

"Your checkup work out?" Chad asked. "Go to go and fully loaded. You're armed with plasma and holo grenades on the hip hard points. The rifle has 1500 beacon rounds good for a 5-mile range. positron weapons are online and the BITS has been calibrated. Twin reactors are good and shield generators are in the green. Chad. Let me say it's been an honor to have been your partner...and friend" Ai said. "Stow that talk Ai. You making it sound like it's goodbye" Chad said. "You're right. I have enough processing power to say lets kick some ass!" Ai yelled. "That's my girl!" Chad said. "Chad incoming transmission" Ai said. Chad opened the comm.

 

"Morning everyone. For those that don't know me my name is Colonel Caius Raam of the Union Air Forces. I don't speak just for them today but for all of us. As I speak, the enemy is just minutes away from the border. His goal is to enslave Ingress and exterminate the hybrids. Well I say he can take his plan and shove it up his ass. I say we show him what it means to fight those who'd protect their freedom! I say we will NOT go quietly into the night! As I look out over our forces I can feel only pity...for him. I will not lie to you. The fight will be bloody and costly but generations from now our children and children's children will ask what you did this day and you can say this. I fought and it was worth it. CRY OUT AND LET HIM HEAR THE SOUND OF FREEDOM! OF JUSTICE! LET HIM KNOW THAT THE FUTURE IS OURS TO MAKE AND OURS ALONE! HOORAH! HOORAH!" Raam yelled. The sound was strong enough that the very ground vibrated as thousands screamed hoorah into the air. Chad watched the clock tick down. 1058...1059...1100hrs. "Signal received. Time to launch" Ai said. "Control. Captain Cyrus requesting takeoff" Chad said. "Roger Cyrus. Cleared for takeoff" control responded. "Chadwick Cyrus in the STRIKE X...taking off!" he yelled as he eased the throttle forward. A gentle push into the seat and he took to the air.

 

Moments later, Sina Wing formed up on him. Nara filled in the middle part of the diamond formation. They watched below as transports carried troops forward. Tanks and mobile vehicles followed suit. Everyone kept excellent pace. Just over 100 mph. In the far distance, the air carrier descended through the clouds. "All flyers are to descend to under 1000 ft. immediately!" Control radioed. "Here it comes" Chad said. Everyone flying descended within seconds. A minute later the battle officially began. Massive blue beams of plasma tore past them overhead followed by a thunderous boom. "Those air defenses are impressive aren't they?" Aeris asked. "Yeah. Whoa..." Chad said. 30 miles ahead, a series of tiny explosions dotted the sky. Chad watched one beam hit the cruiser's shields. Tiny blue flashes came from it. "Incoming!" Chad yelled.

 

The cruiser returned fire from its cannons. Direct hits on the defense turrets. Thankfully the shields held. "Advance! Combat speed!" the orders came in. As the air defenses trained shots with the cruiser, the united forces advanced on Baris' army. "I can feel him. He's in the middle" Aeris said. "Stay focused Aeris. It's about to turn shitty" Chad said. 22 miles from him, Baris hovered into the air. "Forward. Arms at ready" he said with a grin. The united forces watched as his army picked up the pace. Chad, Aeris and their escort neared the combat zone. Suddenly all around them every Ingress began to falter. Sina wing drifted out of formation. "It's happening Chad. His control is hitting them" she said." Then that's your cue girl. Drop that beat!" Chad yelled. Aeris activated the broadcasting array on her back. She took a deep breath and began to sing.

"I'm calling you...I'm calling you

Can you hear my voice...can you hear my voice?

Now it's time to go...can you hear my voice?

Now it's time to go...show your bravery.

Now it's time to go...now it's time to go

Fly beyond the sky...show your bravery

Lovely hazy days in my vivid view

Lovely hazy days...turn to starry nights"

 

Chad looked in astonishment at Aeris. He never heard a voice so angelic. Her song cut deep into his soul. "Oh my god it's in my mind and it's beautiful" a pilot said over the comm. "Yes it is but keep it together Sina 3" the lead flight said. "Holy shit it's working!" Chad said. Not only were the united forces resisting his control. His front lines were slipping free of his control. "Swoop down and tag Captain. We'll provide cover!" lead said.  Chad dropped down and aimed his rifle. He strafed the line and doubled back. "Confirmed! 37 new friendly IFF's detected! Ai said. "So far so good!" Chad yelled hitting the air brakes. He hovered and shot again and again as Aeris flew overhead. Baris could feel something was off.

 

"I just lost 116 troops and not to death. Interference...of course. Aeris. I warned her" Baris said. Baris sent out a mental command for his flyers to engage the source of the disturbance. He made sure his power was strengthened around them. "Chad! Incoming! They're not slowing down!" Ai said. Chad sent out a telepathic message and forgoed the comm. it was flooded with requests to save those free of his control. "Aeris. We got bogeys coming in hot. What you're doing isn't working on them "

he said. "It's Baris. He's on to me and focusing his power to shield them. Seems the easy part is over " she said. "Sina wing! These are hostile! They are still under his control. Engage!" Chad yelled. "Roger Captain" the lead said. Sina wing broke formation and the giants turned to strike the targets. It was 18 to 7 in their favor. Each one wore a Union combat suit so it was clear they were not civilians. Chad and the others saw how they expertly cut their speed and rolled to flank.

 

Chad cut throttle and used his ACS thrusters to turn sharply. The g forces pushing him to the right hard. With a thought, he brought his position gauntlets online and charged. He activated his targeting array and lines the crosshairs. Just as one raised her rifle Chad fired. The shots hit her stomach and knocked her away. Chad followed quickly with a charged cannon shot that hit the erratic flyer cutting he giantess in half. The first kill of the battle. Chad felt a chill go up his spine as her guts and intestine rained down. With her down it became a total dogfight. Aeris kept singing as she fired away at the attackers. Sina wing was no slouch either. One grabbed an attacker from behind and shot point blank. The beam cutting through his body. The fight lasted three minutes. They had prevailed spectacularly. Baris was not pleased.

 

He looked at the cruiser and the turrets taking potshots and was annoyed. "Must I do everything?!" he yelled. Baris held his arm out and concentrated. A pink orb of energy began forming in front of his palm. Bigger and bigger it got until it shrank small enough he could hold it. He aimed his palm at the turrets and twitched his wrist. The beam shot out at extreme speed. People on the ground and safely in the air wanted in horror as the beam vaporized friend and foe alike caught in its path. Anyone touched by it was a one hit kill.

"Transfer power to shield generator 4! Generator 3 is overheating!" an officer assigned to defense ordered. "Done! Recalibrating targeting...AHHHGH!" he screamed. The blinding beam ore thought the shield like wet tissue paper impacting the turret and its control room. The blast was absolute. The boom could be heard as far as 40 miles away. No bodies. Barely ash. Fragments of metal and shattered concrete scattered for a one mile radius. "Much better! Now that that's gone concentrate your attacks that way!" Baris yelled pointing towards Aeris.

 

"His own people" someone muttered. "No, not his. They're cannon fodder and nothing else to him now" Aeris said. Hell was breaking loose on the ground. The forces heard the stories of civilians controlled and forced to fight but the stark truth was jarring. Baris enslaved people by the thousands at once so it was all times of the day it happened and he gave not one shit about what they wore or what they needed to wear. Male Ingress in their underwear held knives or pistols. Female ingress in nightwear, bras or panties, or naked if they were showering or their clothes tore off from the evil march across Europe. It was probably the children that wore on their souls the worst. A boy no older than 5 marched barefoot holding a pistol so big he had to use both hands. His giant fingers too short to pull the trigger with one hand.  a female Ingress raised her rifle at the boy. She looked through her reticle and saw the vacant look in his eyes. Her hands shook. The boy saw her and aimed his gun. A tear rolled down her cheek as she knew it was kill or be killed. At the last second the boy gripped his head as Aeris' song broke though. He looked at the pistol as if he had picked up a disgusting thing and dropped it. He looked up and saw the woman aiming at him. She quickly lowered her rifle and the boy rushed into her arms sobbing. The giantess soldier hugged the child before handing him off.

 

Sadly, the ones closest to Baris were still very much under his control and Aeris was becoming distracted. "Evade! Captain! That ship has our number!" lead said. Understood Sina lead! We need to take it out!" Chad said. "Roger! I’ll get a few squadrons to form up!" lead said. "No time! Those cannons will tear our ground forces apart! Besides, we got the best weapon with us! A diva! Throttle up hard! Slip through their AA!" Chad ordered. All of them hit afterburners and charged the ship. Plasma fire streaked past them. Large beams of energy missing barely. "Sina 4! You're falling out of our slipstream! Reign it in!" lead yelled. "I’m trying ma’am! My right flap took a hit. Losing stability!" the woman yelled. The giantess began to tumble about in air as they watched the beams missing less and less. "Sina 4 drop back!" lead yelled. Too late. A plasma beam hit her dead on. Her fuel tank exploded violently and the poor woman who was known as Sina 4 to Chad and Aeris bit known to the others as Zina Merrick aged 19 was gone.  "SINA 4!" lead yelled.

 

A minute later they flew past Baris. Aeris and he locked gazes. "You don't actually think you'll win this do you? I haven't even started" Baris said in her mind. "The day is still young" Aeris said. Baris turned his attention back to the fight. He waited for the right moment to join in. He resolved to crush these fools and have his young protégé watch. Chad blasted a hole through the hull near the bridge. Two crew members were knocked on their feet but was sound enough to raise their service pistols. "Aeris!" Chad yelled. Aeris focused her song at them and they lowered their guns. Chad and the team ran past them and kicked the door in. The bridge was full of Ingress. The controls were in giant mode for them. Aeris pelted their minds and broke his control. She rubbed her throat. "I'm fine. Need to heal my vocal cords" she said.

"Do we scuttle it?!" lead asked. "No! We take this ship and slit that bastards throat with it! Train all guns. Everything we got and hit his ass!" Chad yelled. Within seconds, Baris was in their sights. "Cannons are ready! I got tactical warheads armed too!" Someone said. Then fire and brace for the shockwave!" Chad yelled. "There are people below" lead said. "And they're killing our soldiers. We all knew how ugly it would get. If you prefer, I'll hit the button" Chad said. Lead leader held her hand up. "God forgive me. FIRING!" she said pressing the button. Every soldier below felt the ground shake as beams hotter than the sun bombarded the 3-square mile patch of dirt. Before the dust could clear, tiny missiles streaked down. The cascade of detonations was blinding. The concussion wave literally swept the giant beings off their feet like rag dolls. The mushroom cloud rose 5000 ft. into the air. Chad turned to Aeris and she shook her head knowing his question.

 

A powerful gust of wind dispersed the dust, ash, and flames and in the center of the burned-out crater was Baris. "Honestly...hmm?" Baris said feeling a trickle of blood run from his forehead. "They...hurt me?!" he screamed enraged. He wasn't hurt badly. Just a small cut but it was the fact a weapon made by imperfect mortal puny creatures injured a Progenitor. "The time for games has ended!" he yelled flying up towards the ship. He could sense exactly where she was. "He's on the move! Coming right at us!" someone yelled. "Get the AA guns on him!" Chad yelled. They fired desperately at him and a few shots hit him but harmlessly bounced off him. He hovered right in front of the bridge bow window. A frightened Sina member fired her rifle through the armored glass at him. Her shots pinged off him. Baris didn't chuckle or laugh. He raised his hand and the air around it shimmered and distorted. "I will suffer your disobedience no longer" he said. "Everyone as close to me as possible!" Aeris screamed.

 

Aeris grabbed as many as she could focusing on Chad first of course. She had only one second. Chad felt a sinking feeling in his chair that increased by 10 times within half a second. It disappeared when Aeris teleported them to safety. Aeris fell to her knees in the mud. Rain began falling as a thunderstorm had rolled in. Chad looked around. They were back on the ground but not all of them were with them. He, Aeris, the lead of Sina and one other pilot had made it out. Two got left behind. "We need to go back! If we're quick..." Sina lead said watching the cruiser. Aeris knew what Baris had done and they all watched it happen. The ship was imploding. Chad realized at that last second it wasn't his imagination or nerves that gave that sinking feeling. It was gravity being increased. The ship was over 2 miles long and a mile wide and it was being squeezed smaller and smaller. Aeris heard the screaming of the crew. Within seconds, what was left the ship fell to the ground with a mountainous thud.

 

Nobody could believe it. Such a large ship crushed to the size of a beach ball. No matter how small he crushed it it still weighed over 100,000 tons and it slammed right through the ground and didn't stop until it hit bedrock over a hundred feet below. The once pride of St. Petersburg was now entombed under the earth like discarded trash and all crew members plus two Sina pilots called it their casket. Baris looked down with disdain. He counted on her surviving and if she hadn't then that was her failing. His troops were advancing despite their losses but that wasn't enough for him. His hands glowed and beams of white light shot forth. He crisscrossed his arms in a sweeping motion and a cascade of explosions erupted on the field. Nobody knew how many died right then but when it was done the united forces lines had been broken. He pointed to his dropships to fly in and drop off fresh troops which they did. Air combat shot down more than a few but they still got through and dropped off people. Ingress in street clothes or business attire, even children made up his shock troops. They tried to hold off the advance but they could hear his voice burrowing into their minds. "Son...you need to hurry. We can't...hold him off!" Rex said of cracking radio. Chad closed his eyes and poured his heart and soul into the STRIKE X. "Keep singing no matter what. Stop him" Chad said to Aeris before flying off. Aeris took a deep breath and remembered a song from Chad's collection. One that struck a chord in her heart. "Ai! Get the BITS ready!" Chad yelled. He tore through the sky at Mach 3 and saw three dropships unloading and 3 more inbound. "Go! BITS!" he yelled. The devices flew off his back as Chad mentally lined up the targets. "STRIKE THEM!" he yelled. The weapons fired at the engines of each ship crippling it and causing it to soft land into the ground. With a gesture, he ordered them to follow him down to the ground. "Switch to non-lethal power. I'm winning this my way. I'm counting on you Aeris" Chad said landing.

 

Seeing an enemy dozens rushed him. Chad felt the strain of the systems as he targeted as many as he could. Chad pulled the trigger. 6 enemy Ingress were stunned unconscious. Luckily they had no shields.  "Again!" he yelled as he repeated the task. The BITS returned to recharge and Chad began gunning down those rushing him but soon they were on top of him. He nearly shit his pants seeing an old woman snarling in his camera. The withered giantess hellbent on killing him. Chad pulled out and unfolded his sword. He struck her with the hilt of it knocking her off him. He was standing up when a powerful blast struck him hard. Chad looked and saw it was a man wearing a Union uniform. His father. Somehow his father had got stuck too far out and succumbed to Baris' attack. "Dad! Snap out of it dad!" Chad yelled. The giant raised his gun once again and Chad was fast enough for him to cut it with his sword. The giant dropped the gun and pulled his own sword out.

 

Chad was scared shitless. He didn't want to fight his dad. He knew his father was holding back during training. He never considered it could be his own father that killed him today. Chad tiptoed around him watching his movement. He did find it easier to keep track of him though. His head began hurting. A sudden stab of pain in his head broke his concentration. "What?!" Chad said feeling two Ingress holding his arms. Rex raised his blade to cut his son down and Chad at the last minute took to the air. Chad swore he saw a small smile on his dad's lips. "He's fighting it..." Chad said. He used his hydraulic strength to throw off the two holding on to him and used his weapons. Chad was astonished to see Rex actually deflect a shot meant for him. The giant moved his feet apart in a stance. "Dad is awesome" Chad thought. A torrent of shots hit Chad as he dropped back down. His shields down to 40%. Rex and he traded strikes and someone sliced him in the back. He panicked for a second remembering that a critical hit to the reactor would kill them all. A damaged BIT sizzled and he sent it out before it could explode. The small blast knocked Rex on his back. "Aeris! Now is the time!" Chad yelled. Rex stood back up "Fight it dad! Don't give in to him! Remember me! Remember mom and Jun! He'll kill us if he wins!" Chad screamed into his mind. Rex's hand trembled as he held the sword. A tear rolled down his cheek as the giant turned the blade around and aimed it at his stomach. "DAD! NOOOO!" Chad screamed. A song began over the radio and entered the minds of everyone. A song more powerful than the last. A hope.

Chapter End Notes:

cont