- Text Size +

“Where's my little angel?” called a gentle, melodic voice somewhere outside. In response, without a moment’s hesitation, Jody jumped to her feet and rushed out of the booth, curling her fingers around the tiny woman and forgetting about her instantly. 

 

The little girl ran outside to the doors of the partly filled church and leapt into a young woman’s waiting arms. “Ella!” Jody squealed in glee, wrapping her arms around the woman’s neck as she was lifted into her embrace.

 

“Aww, how are you Jody? Are you ready for church?” Ella asked kindly, setting her down. Jody nodded excitedly. “Can I sit with you, Ella? Please,” the girl asked, reaching for the young woman’s hand.

 

“Of course you can sweetie,” Ella replied, taking her hand, “What do you have in your other hand? Can I see?”

 

Jody obediently opened her palm, showing the tiny creature it held.

 

“Is that an ant, angel?” Ella asked.

 

“Mhm,” Jody nodded, innocently, “I found it in the confession booth.”

 

“And what are you going to do with it sweetie?” Ella asked in a motherly tone.

 

“I was going to let it go outside,” Jody tried tentatively and was rewarded by a hug from her idol. Jody breathed in her scent as she held the embrace and she beamed as Ella led her outside to release her prisoner. Ella had babysat Jody for a few years and still occasionally would, while the Hastings had been out to dinner or away for conferences. As a result however, Jody had grown more than a little attached to Ella, idolising her and always wanting to be with her. The Hasting’s had even had phase out Ella’s babysitting rather than stop it as Ella had refused to sleep or eat unless Ella was with her. She had thrown tantrums and screamed, but everything would be okay when Ella arrived. Around her, Jody behaved like a perfect little girl and clung to the young woman like a doll. Her parents often called Ella to help them with Jody but over time, they had developed other ways to deal with their daughter. The mere threat that they would call Ella and tell on her could stop Jody from misbehaving, but her parents worried that soon enough she would find a way around that. 

 

As far as Ella was concerned, Jody was an angel. The girl never misbehaved around her and even volunteered to do chores while she babysat. Ella only ever remembered making puzzles, cooking and doing each others hair with her. Jody would then fall asleep as she recounted some made up story, curled up with her blanket and pillow beside Ella. 

 

Elaine looked up to see two faces as Jody opened her hand and lower her to the ground. Looking over Jody was someone Elaine recognised instantly. Ella Sanders stood over the titanic girl who had tormented her, dressed in a beautiful, off-white sundress. Elaine tried to call for help but her voice was hoarse from her torment and the colossal woman wouldn’t have heard her anyway. Jody tilted her hand and the tiny woman fell to the ground lightly. As the 12-year old stood up, Elaine truly appreciated how massive the two people standing over the were. Elaine could probably just about struggle onto Jody’s slipper if she was in full health. 

 

She raised an arm, pleading for help as the two turned and walked back into the church. Elaine had only turned as she saw her demise. An enormous, fat man was waddling towards her at a languid pace. The woman tried to stand, to escape into the grass, but she was too weak, she fell forward has even her arms gave way and she lay on the curb, waiting for death. The man’s black church shoe fell on her and the woman was killed instantly, reduced to a stain as the heavyset man continued on his way into the Lord’s house. 

 

***

 

“Ella, how wonderful to see you,” called a fit looking man in his 50s, standing beside a woman who had aged well, thanks to the best lotions and therapies that money could buy. “I see Jody’s found you,” she said, smiling at the girls.

 

“Oh its great to see you too Mr. and Mrs. Hastings,” Ella replied warmly, curtsying. The young girl beside her did the same, making her parents laugh as their rebellious and strong willed daughter copied Ella almost exactly, adopting the image of an innocent and loving daughter. 

 

“Please Ella, you know you can call us Mark and Angela,” Mr. Hastings said giving her a hug.

 

“You're practically family you know,” Angela added, also hugging her.

 

“Aww, thank you two,” Ella sang as Jody continued to hang on her arm, gently so as not to bother her but staying close to her idol’s skirt, waiting patiently for any attention she could get from her. 

 

“Oh, have you heard, my dad’s home,” Ella said, excitedly, looking around and finding her father before calling him over. Andrew tried to lead Susanne away but she wouldn’t bother to leave her conversation until she saw whom they were going to talk to.

 

“Good morning Angela,” Susanne said warmly as her husband and she walks towards two of the richest people in their area.

 

“Mrs. Sanders, I’m sure you’ll understand if I don't remember your first name, we’ve hardly met,” Mark said, dismissing Susanne’s attempt at addressing them as friends, “However you sir, are a different story.”

 

“Mr. Sanders, or can we call you Andrew?” Angela asked, smiling at the man, “Ella has told us all about you and your service and we’ve been waiting to meet you.”

 

As the Hastings' greeted him, Andrew was confused indeed. He vaguely recalled a family of Hastings, almost royalty in the state, surely these weren’t the same people.

 

“Its nice to meet you sir, ma’am, Andy’s just fine,” Andrew replied, “I apologise but I haven’t been in the country in years. What do you two do?”

 

“Honey!” Susanne snapped, smiling apologetically at their social betters, “Mr. and Mrs. Hastings are business people and quite good ones at that. They own most of …”

 

“We do well for ourselves and try to give back to the community as we can,” Angela cut in.

“I see,”Andrew replied, “And how is it that you know my daughter?”

 

“Ella?” Mark asked. “Why she’s practically family. She used to babysit our Jody," he said pointing to the little girl at Ella’s side.

“Oh but she’s so much more than that,” Angela added, “She's such a great role model for our girl, and Jody loves her very much.”

 

“I think she’s closer to Jody than we are,” Mark said, only had jokingly, “I do have to commend you on raising a fine young woman. She’ll go far Lieutenant.”

 

“Thank you sir,” Andrew replied, “I see Ella has been talking about me.”

 

“Are you joking? You’re practically all she talks about,” Mark replied, “I wish my daughter was so attached to me; she adores you Andy.”

 

Andrew had to take a look at his daughter and he could believe it. Despite her efforts to dress conservatively, she glowed in her white, knee length, sleeveless dress. Her hair brushed behind her shoulders, Ella’s eyes captured his gaze and for a moment, he forgot that anyone else was in the room. All he could see were the all absorbing emerald eyes and it turned him on. Ella broke the eye-contact as she turned to deal with Jody, picking up the little girl and carrying her to the benches, telling a story or something that the little girl listened to with wide eyes and slightly parted lips. The 12-year-old’s full attention was devoted to her idol and Andrew could see how Ella held the girl, lovingly, and he wished irrationally to be in her arms. 

 

“I'm sure she just hasn't shown it yet,” Andrew recovered from his daze.

 

“So what are you doing now that you’re back in town?” Angela asked, politely.

 

“I'm uh, working at Army HQ, I’ve used up all of my field time so I’m just pushing papers,” Andrew replied, feigning excitement about being stuck behind a desk.

 

“A man like you? What a waste!” exclaimed Mark, “Listen Andy, I know we’ve only just met, so I can’t offer you anything concrete, but from what Ella has told me about you, I’d be more than happy to get you in a room with someone from one of my firms here in Raleigh, if you;re looking for some other kind of work.”

 

“That's really good of you sir,” Andrew said as he took Mark’s card, “But I don’t have a whole lot of experience in much except combat.”

 

“Nonsense,” Mr. Hastings replied, “Leadership, planing and achieving objectives are all things I believe a military man like you will be capable of, and if Ella is any testament to your ability to inspire people, you’ll be a valuable asset indeed.” 

 

“What do you mean?” Andrew asked, “I've hardly been around for Ella. My wife has been …”

 

“Whether or not you were there, that girl is who she is because of you,” Angela cut in, “Ask her yourself if you don;t believe me, but any time anyone asks her why she strives for success, how she motivates herself, your name is always on her lips.”

 

Again, Andrew looked over at her daughter, now surrounded by children of varying ages. At the preachers call, Ella bent down low and whispered something to the group of eager children and they followed her to the front of the church. Then, at her command, they sat in neat lines in the front two central pews, hands on their laps and their head turned up towards the preacher, ready to begin. Ella sat with them and other than occasional glances at her, the children were more focused and quiet than he could remember children being. As the Hastings took their leave to sit, so too did Andrew and Susanne; Beth had refused to get up, claiming that her hangover was unbearable. As the Sanders went to take their seat, more than a few couple smiled at them. Even when they sat, the old couple beside them spoke up.

 

“Are you Ella’s father?” the woman asked, which Andrew affirmed.

 

“You've done a spectacular job sir,” her husband said, offering to shake his hand, “You raised a fine Christian girl.”

 

For the rest of the service Andrew couldn't stop being impressed as Ella kept the children focused on the proceedings. Towards the end, the preacher even called her up.

 

“And now, to read a passage from our Lord’s words, I’d like to welcome Ella Sanders,” he said, to which there was a warm response by the congregation. Andrew didn’t understand why until she walked onto the stage. Even behind the stand, all eyes on the room were glued to the girl, the light shining in from the stainless window above making her glow, ever so slightly. Even as she read, Andrew felt like her eyes were always on him, but looking around he could see that everyone stared directly into her eyes as well. Ella’s voice was  like a song, revitalising him from his boredom and every word she said seemed to make perfect sense. After the service, numerous couples congratulated Andrew and Susanne on their daughter as they left.

 

“Ella, we’re leaving, get your things,” Susanne called harshly, to which the children still around the girl groaned and complained, but Ella put them at ease with a few words and they all hugged her before going to rejoin their parents. Only one remained.

 

“Oh, do you have to go already?” Jody asked, frowning up at the young woman.

 

“Aw, sweetie, I have to go home and be with my parents, just like you,” Ella said, kneeling down on one side to be more level with the pre-teen. Jody threw her arms around Ella and hugged her tightly, “I know, but I’ll miss you. You’ll still be here right?”

 

“Of course sweetie, I’m not going anywhere this whole summer,” Ella reassured her.

 

“But what about after?” Jody asked, still clinging onto the woman, “You'll still be nearby right?”

 

“Well sweetie, only the Lord knows where we’ll all end up,” Ella said, to which the little girls eyes began to tear. “Hey, Jody, don’t cry,” Ella consoled, caressing the girl’s hair, “Your my tough little angel aren't you?”

 

“Yes, but … but, I don’t want you to go,” she sobbed.

 

“Don't worry Jody, I’ll always come to visit, and when you have time, you can come and visit me, wherever we both end up okay?” Ella reassured.

“Promise?” the little girl asked, offering her little finger.

 

“Of course I promise,” Ella said, taking her finger in her own and wrapping the girl in her arms, “Now go and be a good little angel for your mom and dad, okay?”

 

The girl nodded and grudgingly let go of her hand to go back to her parents. Before walking off though, she turned back and kissed Ella on the cheek. To Angela’s surprise, Jody hugged her and held both her and her husband’s hands as they led her out of church. The girl had already planned the ask that they visit Ella wherever she went next year, and putting on a sweet face could help her case. As the Hastings left, all  Jody could think of was he idol and not seeing her as often. No. She would be with Ella, her parents were rich, and she would get what she wanted.