- Text Size +

The boat coasted across the Atlantic Ocean as the waves became more and more violent. Electrical engineering major Travis Cuesta piloted the boat and anthropology major Susan Tarver tried to hold on as they were caught in a fierce storm that they didn't anticipate because their wi-fi and radio were down. They were passing through the Bermuda triangle just as the storm began, not realizing that the storm would get this bad. Travis was half-Mexican and half-white with black hair and tan skin, while Susan was a blonde Caucasian with some Native-American ancestry who tanned easily.

A multi-colored flash of light surrounded the boat, and in a flash of light the storm was instantly gone. The Ocean became smooth, and the weather was clear.

"What happened?" Susan asked.

"I don't know!" said Travis. "But I see land up ahead, maybe we should dock there for the night in case the storm returns."

Up ahead was a big mass of land, with huge trees and hills that were visible from miles away.

"That island wasn't there before, and it isn't on any of our maps!" said Susan.

As the boat approached the island, the waves became progressively larger, until one large wave knocked the boat over and caused the boat to smash into a large rock. Travis and Susan swam ashore, and made their way up the beach, to a higher elevation.

"Well, the boat's totaled!" said Travis. "I've never seen waves like that before, they looked like ordinary waves, but on a larger scale."

"What do you mean?" Susan asked.

"Waves thirty feet high don't have that same look, the wave that damaged our boat had the physical characteristics of waves about three feet high."

The duo made their way up a dirt road, toward the top of a cliff. The foliage was much larger than normal, something that was evident when they came to a tree that was as thick around as a California redwood.

"Something really weird is going on," said Travis. "The trees and bushes look like normal plant life, but exist on a much larger scale."

"Do you think that energy field we passed through miniaturized us somehow?" Susan asked. "Along with the boat?"

"I'm not sure," Travis replied. "either that or we journeyed to a world of giants!"

After walking further onward, the two of them spotted a tower in the distance. "What is that?" Susan asked. "It looks like a lighthouse."

"Let's go check it out," said Travis.

Once they arrived at the vertical cylinder, they spotted an entrance on their scale. Travis peeked inside, then exited.

"There's a staircase, let's go up and see what we can find," said Travis.

After reaching the top of the stairway, there was a room with a large control console. All the equipment seemed to be inoperative.

"Maybe I can find a way to switch all of this back on," said Travis. After fiddling with some wires and cables, Travis managed to hook up the power coupling, and power was restored. Large monitors lit up, showing the surrounding countryside. Travis fiddled with a keyboard, and a voice echoed through the chamber.

"I am the sentry, I am programmed to monitor this island. How can I be of assistance?"

"We became trapped on this island," said Travis. "Where are we?"

"You are on the planet Thanatar, a world 36 times larger than Earth. Everything and everyone on this planet exist on a larger scale than you."

"Is there any way to return to earth?" Susan asked the sentry computer.

"Yes," the sentry responded,"but Thanatar and earth are only in a position to merge realities once every earth month."

"If that's true," Travis asked, "then how did we end up here on your planet?"

"The odds were billions to one that conditions would allow this to happen accidentally," the sentry computer responded. "A dimensional confluence connects your world and hundreds of parallel versions of earth with this reality."

"If you were built by the people of Thanatar," Travis asked, "why was this tower constructed for use by people on our scale?"

"You will soon see," said the sentry computer, and the door to the stairwell slid closed.

Susan ran over and tried to open the door, but it did not budge.

"We're locked in!" Susan shouted.

Just then, an alarm began to wail, and three kids in their early teens approached the tower on the main monitor. A boy and two girls. All three kids existed on the same scale as this giant world, and the siren shut off as soon as they arrived at the tower. The boy was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, and the two girls wore miniskirts and tank tops. All three wore futuristic mid-calf boots. The boy and one of the girls both had blonde hair, while the second girl was a brunette, possibly Hispanic.

One of the girls reached over and pried the lid of the tower up, and it swung open on hinges, revealing the control room where Travis and Susan were trapped. Her gigantic face filled their field of vision. Susan screamed as the girl reached out to grasp Susan and Travis in her hand.

To be Continued!