- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Well, looks like this story's off to a good start. I'll try to write one new chapter daily, or weekly if worse comes to worst. I'll also be sure to make the chapters longer if I can.

Ok then, as they say,

ROUND 2. FIGHT!

 

"*yawn* Finally!"

Zalli, now at normal size, stretched her arms as the pack approached the gates of Valvina. It was the evening of their fourth day of travel when they arrived. Marcus felt invigorated as he layed eyes on the tall stone walls that surrounded the city. This would be the place he'd call his home now. He could smell the scent of bread and dough over the wall. It made his mouth water. After half a week of nothing but meat and fish, he'd kill for some quality food. His craving made him break into a mad dash towards the gate, bursting though it and into the city.

Or, at least, he would have, if the guards at the gate hadn't stopped him.

 

"Where's your scroll, son?"

Marcus looked at him, confused. "Uh... scroll, sir?"

"Your entrance scroll, son. Do you have one?"

"What in the world are you talking about?"

"The scroll act, son. Passed two days ago. We can't allow entrance unless you and your mates have scrolls."

"Two days ago!? But we've been traveling here for the past four days! We weren't informed!"

"So? If some kid didn't know it's against the law to steal, would it be ok for him to steal?"

"Uh..."

"Exactly. Sorry, son. Looks like your trip was in vein. You'll have to turn back."

"But-"

"I said, I'm sorry. It's for the safety of Valvina."

"*sigh* Understood."

 

Marcus walked back to his friends, with a defeated look on his face. "This is ridiculous," Lyandra said, shaking her head. "Fucking nobles..." "DAMN IT!" cried Zalli, throwing her hands in the air, "I should shrink into their armor and smash their balls." "Uh, I don't think that'd be the best first impression," Marcus pointed out, "We're going to be working here for who knows how long. Do you want people to remember you for that?" Zalli sighed, and sat down. Lyandra turned to Marcus. "What now? Do we head back?"

 

"I guess we don't have any other..."

Before he could finish, he spotted another guard running up to the two at the gate, He had a satchel on over his shoulder. When he reached the two guards he saluted the one Marcus had spoken to, then handed him the satchel. "Sir, status report on the manboar," he told him. The gate guard, probably the captain, opened the satchel and read through some papers inside. "Still no one has come up for the bounty on it?" He asked. "No, sir. It seems the ctizens are just as scared of it as the nobles," the guard replied.

Marcus listened in on their conversation. An idea sparked in his head. "On second thought, maybe we do have other options," he said. He walked back over to the guards. "Excuse me, I couldn't help but overhear. What exactly is this 'boar' thing you're talking about?" "What's it to you, son?" The captain asked. "Well," Marcus patted his sword on his hip,"If the problem's what I think it is, I may be able to help with it. It's sort of what my lot and I do."

The captain sighed. "There's a, uh, manboar, a boar-like creature that walks on two feet. It's causing a ruckus off in a village not too far. Ruining crops, smashing things, two or three killed, that kind of think. Nobles are worried it'll wander over hereand get in the city, and then real trouble'll start. They had a bounty put on its head to try and get rid of it, but no one's come to claim it yet."

Marcus scratched his chin. "How much is this bounty in question worth?"

"Six thousand gollos," the captain replied.

"Oooh, quite a sum. Hmmm. Tell me, it'll take three scrolls to get me, my friends, and our dog into the city, right?"

"Correct."

"So, how much will those cost?"

"Six thous- oh."

Marcus smirked. "Sir, I'd say your bounty's just been accepted."

 

Sadly, they'd have to wait until tomorrow to hunt the manboar. By the time the group had gotten directions to the village, it was already getting dark. They set up camp where the guards said they were allowed, between an oak tree and a boulder. Marcus positioned himself so his head poked out the front of his tent. He staired up at the night sky. There was a story that said Valvina was founded here simply because long ago some travelers thought the stars looked better here than anywhere else they'd been. He wouldn't blame them if it was true, the sky was a sight to behold. Some constellations were only possible to see here, completely invisible anywhere else in the world.

Marcus yawned. He turned over to the others in their tents beside him. Lyandra was already fast asleep, pleasantly dreaming away. Mugg had decided to sleep beside her, using her blankets as a bed to lay on. The two made a good pair, a hunter and their hound. Though, thanks to Marcus, Mugg not just a keen at tracking animals, but a vicious fighter as well, with a powerful bite he'd once severed a fox's tail with.

Marcus's thoughts were interrupted by Zalli's stomach growling. She lay between him and Lyandra, so it was easy to hear. "Ugh, I'm hungry," she complained. "Sorry, we're out. We weren't expecting to travel more than four days, remember?" Marcus replied. Zalli groaned, and turned to the sky. Marcus did the same, hoping the calm scenery would bring him to sleep.

 

Some time past, and Marcus began to feel a strange feeling. He turned back to Zalli, and saw she was now staring at him. "Problem?" he asked. She grinned, and got up from her tent. "I thought of something I can eat," she said, cheerfully. She approached Marcus's tent. He began to sense she was scheming something. "What exactly would that be?" He nervously asked. 

Zalli suddenly plopped herself on top of Marcus's chest.

"You."

She grabbed his face and pushed her lips into his. Marcus tried to resist, but eventually gave in and accepted it. The two kissed passionately, their toungues intertwining. Marcus felt the inside of Zalli's mouth. The warmth. The saliva. He was overwhelmed by it.

Suddenly a thought came to him. "Wait!" He whispered when they finally broke away. He pointed to Lyandra's tent. "They'll hear us."

Zalli looked at the tent for a moment, then smiled at Marcus. "Not like this," she whispered. She placed her hands on Marcus's chest. The two were engolfed with light, then vanished.

Chapter End Notes:

In case anyone got confused, "gollos", or the "gollo" for one, is the currency in the world of Nerlin. To keep it simple, I'll just say 1 gollo is equal to $1.