- Text Size +

Lexie here again. 

Ok, so very often the little guy has to scream so that I can hear him from way down where he stands. The huge height difference between us, and his tiny voice, and the fact that he is so tiny and weak I can barely feel him if he touches my leg, all combine so that to be aware of and acknowledge his existence near my ankles and to actually hear him, or talk to him in a regular dialogue while we are both standing up on the ground, is really an effort for both of us. Since like I said his reach upwards is just barely over 18 inches, since his arms are just barely long enough to extend beyond his head (I know, he must just barely reach around enough to wipe himself!), and his feet are so tiny, that even with him standing on his tippy toes he cannot reach anything 20 inches high or more. By contrast, my legs, as I’ve mentioned, are 48 inches long, so my knee is like 24 inches off the ground, which means he cannot touch my knee at all! O, and just forget about it when I wear heels (yes, I like to and the fact that I'm really tall shouldn’t matter!) Now, he is close to knee height for most people, but with me, he is just unbelievably out of his league. I even have boots that are taller than him! I'm pretty sure he can reach Lauren's knee, but that's not saying much. He is waist-high to most of the 2 or 3 year olds I babysit at the house. Haha that reminds me: once I was babysitting this kid - the parents bring the kids to my house so I can basically "babysit" G (by which I mean, get him things he would have a real hard time getting to on his own, like food from the fridge or books he cant hold, let alone take down from a shelf) at the same time. Anyhow, this kid was about 3 years old, and I was sitting at the kitchen table doing some work, while the little girl played nearby. G was walking by and happened to walk under the chair that I was sitting on (he does that a lot; I guess it's easy for him to get to places like that; even, like in my story yesterday, if there are boxes and stuff that would normally block his access). The kid noticed the tiny human, maybe thought it was a walking doll, and wandered in to the kitchen and then just stared at G as he was meddling under my chair. As he tried to push my legs apart so he could walk through under the chair, the little girl, wide-eyed with wonder, just blurted out "hey, why are you so small?" I guess G could tell you more, but that kinda question he probably hears a lot, especially from kids, but for whatever reason G then was too flummoxed to answer. So I lifted little G to my knee, set him on my lap, and said to the girl, "hey, that's not nice. Why are YOU so small?" This seemed to satisfy the little girl and then she asked if she too could hold "the little doll man"? I was like, "no, no, Alison, he is my brother, and you cannot hold him. Would you like it if every big person picked you up all the time?" G, meanwhile, was trying to disengage and jump down from my grasp, and looked up at me in gratitude, but with a look that said "put me down already!" I slowly set him down on the ground, from where he looked up, could only see my knee, but not my face, so moved closer to Alison in order to look up at me and speak to me. Alison, looking down at the little doll at her waist height, patted and then kissed his head, and said "goodbye little doll man". That just made me and G laugh outright. You may ask whether this is humiliating to a 24 year old? Well, I guess in many ways it is, but there is not too much he can do about it so he makes the best of things. I really admire him for that.   

Again, by contrast, my reach is pretty high. If I stand barefoot in a standard basketball court, I can easily touch the net. And with just a bit of effort I can jump to reach the backboard. I don’t actually like to play basketball too much (does that surprise a lot of you? everyone always seems to think the tall girl must be great at b-ball. Nope, sorry, not this girl.) So while I don’t play too much, I don’t think I could dunk, but who knows? maybe if I practice I could do it. I do love to go to games. The Grizzlies are set to play here soon and I'm already reserving two tickets, for me and G who loves to watch games, both live and on TV. I've lifted him up so he can touch the net but I think a standard size ball is too much for him to hold (not weight-wise, just circumference wise). OMG I really want to meet Marc Gasol, I think he's amazing and a hottie too!!! It will definitely be funny to see G in the middle of me and Marc, since Marc is 7'1, I'm 6'7 and Georgie is...nearly 18 inches. Hellooo down there!! Hahaha. No, but the sport I like most, is volleyball. Seriously, I play really intense. Our team won nationals this year. When we won that game, I ran over to the side of the arena grandstand seats where my parents and G were sitting, some 7 rows up, and high fived my parents and G. Finally, G was able to kiss me as we both stood, since I bent towards him only a bit. When I high-five him, I think it’s so funny, since my hand covers not only his entire face but his torso too. But I think I understood the look he had on his face then as admiration, and pride, but also not a little intimidation since my body was probably steaming sweat at the time. James was there too, and so were my girlfriends, since they always come to my games. I've already mentioned to you Becca and Jenny, but almost all of the girls I hang out with are between 5'4 and 5'10, you know, standard height. Come to think of it, my neighbor Lauren may be the shortest female I know. She wears her shortness well, that I must say.  You know, I wish there was just one girl, or even guy, who was 6 foot or more. It gets a little lonely up here. Haha nah, I'm good just where I am. James is so cute when he's with us. We're all much taller than him, obviously some of us much more than others. But he always brings us good food, and he's an amazing friend and guitar player. If any of my friends is going to end up a rock star, it's gotta be James. We love him, even if not quite in the romantic way, given his being so short. I know, I know, I shouldn’t say that, since, first, it's not nice. And then more importantly, since my older brother is the definition of short. But what can I say? That's how I feel. There's no apologizing for the way you feel. Think about it: James is 5’2, and I am 6’7, that’s a difference of about a foot and a half. I’ve heard of relationships where there is a significant height difference, but never that much, and besides, usually it’s the guy who towers over the woman, not the other way around. And, anyhow, I do love both James and Georgie, in different ways. I'm just waiting for that 7 foot knight in shining white armor! Hmm maybe Marc Gasol wouldn’t mind fitting that bill? 


Getting back to my brother. He can't reach me if I am lying on my bed. He can't even reach my nose, let alone my shoulder so he has to shout to get my attention if I happen to be sleeping. My parents always keep their door closed at night, but I never do, since, like I've said already, I don't mind at all if the little guy sees me less than fully dressed. He can't reach anything important and, to be fair, I've seen him in his itty bitty birthday suit, so there's not much left to imagination. So anyhow, when he does scream to get my attention, since I am a pretty heavy sleeper, he needs to shout for a while or really loudly, and then usually what happens is that I open one eye, look way down, see the little imp, reach down really quickly and playfully grab him before he can get away. Usually he has a request, like to get him a glass of juice or something, which I am happy to do. Problem is, at least my Mom has referred to it as a problem, is that I sleep without a bra (hey don’t judge!) so when I groggily get up to help the little guy, my girls are front and center for all to see. Well, it's not that bad, I think, since G can barely see beyond my knees, let alone all the way up my chest. Sure, he knows I don’t have a shirt on, but he can hardly see anything else. Which is also why I have no problem with him standing directly in front, or beneath me, when I am wearing a skirt, say, so that theoretically all my goodies are visible to anyone standing below them. But, again, my legs are so high up there is not much he can see clearly. I know he made it sound like he gets "action" every now and then, but I really kinda doubt it. If the only fun he has is that he can see, or hope to see, some of my panties, I think I can live with that. Also, trust me, his little bathroom must be great, but it doesn’t always work.  I've helped my mom when she has had to wash G in a little tub in the bathroom sink since he can't reach the faucets in the main tub. If you thought he was cute normally, you should see him when he is being bathed. We never actually described what G looks like. Suffice it for now to say that he doesn’t have a lot of body hair, and has no muscle development to speak of, so when he is wet he looks like as innocent as a brand new newborn.   

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for all the reads and reviews! Would love to hear any suggestions for directions or story lines. TIA