- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Society has its fun when you are only 3 inches high.

Hello. My name is Jim. I am nineteen years old, have brown hair and hazel eyes. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I’m only three inches high.

My mother worked as a lab technition for the Government in a top secret research facility. They were working on a formula to stablize plutonium during transit. Somehow, one of the tubes hadn’t been securely closed and mixed with the formula. When the case was opened, it emitted a strange violet colored gas that my mother inhaled. She was only five weeks pregnant with me at the time and when the gas she breathed got into her bloodstream, it somehow effected me in her womb, thus, causing my body to continue forming, but not growing.

After I was born, the Government did everything they could to help. I was their best kept secret for the first five years of my life. That is, until my mother died of cancer. My father always blamed it on the same substance that left me only three inches high. After the funeral, the Government tried to take me away from him, but he wouldn’t have any part of it. He hired an attorney and off to court they went. Overnight, I went from being the Governments best kept secret to having my picture plastered on every television, newspaper, magazine and countless internet sites. There are still many sites that are active about me today.

Court lasted about two weeks. The Government Lawyers (there were six of them) couldn’t keep up with our Lawyer. No wonder the laws are so screwed up with people like them out there writing all the laws. Our Lawyer told the court how much I was loved by my dad and my Aunt Pearl and how they provided me with a safe and loving environment to grow up in. How my Aunt cared for me during the day while my dad was working, sometimes two shifts just to provide for us.

Thinking back on those few weeks in court, watching the Government Lawyers at work was like crossing your eyes and watching the Three Stooges at work. The jury seen that the Government only wanted me to run test on, and that eventually, I would end up in a jar on a shelf somewhere and that when technology was advanced enough, someone would take me out, do an autopsy, and figure out what would’ve reversed the process. My dad cried when we won our case. Other then my mom dying, that was the second and last time I ever saw him cry.

The next two years went by fairly quickly. Dad worked, came home, slept and then went back to work. Weekends were just for me and him. We would go to ball games together. Sometimes, if no one was looking, he’d put me on the brim of his cap where the strap was and I would sit there unaware to the screaming fans around us and watch the game. Life was good.

We once went to get something to eat at a diner after the game and the waitress was flirting up a storm with him. He acted so embarrassed by her comments towards him, but at the same time, he seemed to be eating it all up. He hadn’t been with anyone since my mom and I guess he was feeling like it was time to move on.

He tried explaining to me one night after supper about how he felt and needed to go out and have the company of a woman. He let me know how much he loved my mom, but, she would want him to move on with his life, and, if the roles were reversed, he’d want the same for her as well. At seven years old, I really didn’t understand everything he was saying, but all I knew was that he was going out Friday night with a woman from work named Angela. They dated for several months, she came over for supper twice a week, and she was very attractive. Long blonde hair, green eyes, about 5’7”, and full-figured.

I always felt somewhat “uneasy” around her. The way she would stare at me with those big green eyes. It was like she didn’t know whether to swat me or put me in a cage. She was just one of those type of people you meet and you just don’t trust them. But she never hurt me. She would always smile and ask me if she could pick me up and hold me, or if I needed anything. And she always insisted that I sit close to her so she could feed me. I guess she figured it would score major points with my dad if he thought she was accepting me like a son, but it didn’t work. He came home from work one night and told me he wouldn’t be seeing her anymore. Something about they just not making a connection. I was relieved. Hopefully he will find someone who is more like mom I thought to myself.