- Text Size +

"You've gotta be kidding me..." Robby sighed, staring up at the hulking machine in front of him. "Not again!"

 

"Look it's quite simple," Josh reasoned, gesturing for his friend's tone to soften. "It agitates matter to such a degree that it bends the very fabric of time and space, creating confusion. Matter always attempts to realign itself, so with this machine I'm able to manipulate that confusion and reform reality entirely!" By now Josh was in an all-out grin, believing every word that came out of his proud mouth.

 

He paused in thought, "Would you like to give it a try?"

 

"Uhhh..... like... I mean, what can it do? You said it can only change one species at a time, right?" Rob asked in confusion.

 

"Well yes, but in its current state I've only managed to alter one gender at a time. I'm hoping to improve it's capabilities later on, but for now this is as far as it goes."

 

"Ahhh I see. So I could change...say....Cindi Walker? Like make her hotter?"

 

"To put it frankly, yes, you can make your wanna-be girlfriend 'hotter', but it would also alter every other female human being on the face of the planet as well."

 

"Wow...that's deep stuff. How about we do something simple... like make Cindi-- err, I mean all females... a bit taller? She could use some inches." Rob's eyes burned with excitement as his perverted mind envisioned a world full of taller, sexier women.

 

"Oh yes, that's well within it's capabilities. Here, I'll show you how it works..." Josh leaned into the control panel and spoke directly into a large microphone. "Women, 2 inches taller."

 

A long, deep hum emitted from the machine, quietly shaking the basement walls in the process. The two boys felt their hearts rattle within their ribcages as the large red 'Execute' button lit up brightly before them."There ya' go! That's all there is to it! I'll let you do the honors." Josh gestured his friend towards the glowing button.

 

Robby pointed at the button, "This one?"

 

"Yes yes, that one!" Josh barked, easily becoming aggravated

 

"Ok, here goes!"

 

With the palm of Rob's nervous hand, he pushed down on the heavy button.

 

"How do we know when it's worki--

 

The lights in his head blew out, and a sea of darkness enveloped him whole. Urgency crept into his throat as a violent wave of thunder thrashed at his very core. Rob screamed desperately for Josh, but nothing came out. He panicked. Left mute as his body floated helplessly, his sense of direction was all but a distant memory. Time no longer existed. He was simply... alone.

 

Within a blink of an eye he was back, thrown into the conscious world where the light had been restored. Rob gasped for air as the eerie sensation of drowning passed over him.

 

Josh steadied his friend by the shoulders. "Its ok Rob, it's ok!"

 

"I forgot to tell you about the transition. Sorry about that." There was a short pause. "You'll get used to it soon enough." Josh waved his hand in dismissal over his shoulder as he turned his back on Rob..

 

"Wow, but for a moment there I thought we were goners!" Robby laughed half-heartedly, attempting to obscure any sign of uneasiness in his voice.

 

Josh ignored him and began to analyze the situation scientifically. "We requested a large transition from the machine. It was like nothing I've experienced before with the mice. If I had to guess, that empty abyss we were just in was the result of the machine taking longer to process all the information. Way longer. Normally the transition between one world to the other is nearly instant-- way faster than a conscious person could ever notice. I can only hope the AI has taught itself to be quicker the next time around"

 

Josh turned around to see Rob's face overcome with anticipation. Josh always could read him like a book. "And yes, because we're still alive, the machine must've worked."

 

Rob gasped, "So that makes Cindi 5 foot 4 now! That's not bad at all." Robby felt a rush run through his veins as his mind projected a mental image of a now taller Cindi in his mind. "Jee, it was hard enough already to try and ask her out. Now it's going to be impossible!" Rob realized.

 

A pair of sandals flopping against the heels of someone's pretty feet could be heard coming down the basement stairs, interrupting the two boys in their 'heated' discussion.

 

"You boys hungry? I made you two some sandwiches. Your mother didn't already feed you, did she Robby?"

 

"N-no Mrs.Robinson, t-thank youuuUUU."

 

Both the boys stared, dazzled by Mrs.Robinson's appearance as they reached for their sandwiches.

 

"My, you boys alright? You act like you've just seen a ghost!" she laughed to herself, not waiting for a response, and shimmied her way back up the stairs and into the kitchen.

 

When she was completely out of sight, Rob couldn't hold it in anymore and blurted out "Dude! You're mom is TOTALLY bigger! I mean-- no offense, but DAMN those 2 inches suit her well!" He took a moment to appreciate the sandwich he had just been given. And with a mouthful, "I mean *smack chew*, it's not like WOW, but she's definitely noticeably taller.*smack*"

 

Josh grew uneasy, knowing his best friend had been eyeing his mother. "Ok ok, I get it!"

 

Rob was already elsewhere, "Hey...what do you say we give the machine another go?"

 

"What, already?! I don't want to blow the thing up! I've put so much work into it, and I want to have a safe trip back to the way things are. Just as soon as you're done having your fun. Breaking it is not an option. We could be stuck here forever, you know."

 

"Oh no! Stuck in a horrible world FULL of sexy, taller girls. What will we EVER do!!" he waved his hands in horror.



...




The room fell silent as the boys ate.

 

Completely unaware of the lurking presence that was Denise. Josh's little sister crouched behind the stack of laundry, listening in on their every word. A secret vault had been opened, and there was no stopping the evil work now being brewed in this little girl’s mind. Now was the time to fulfill a dream that at one point could only be considered a bizarre fantasy.

 

A devilish grin spread across her cute and otherwise innocent face.


It was only a matter of time.