- Text Size +

It was so odd to know the legends surrounding the giant known as Alexandra and yet bear witness to the scene before him. Of course it was nothing new, but with some reflection on the fable it was a true testament to how much time had passed since those olden days.

The children shrieked with their overly high pitched voices and ran as if their lives depended on it. It took but a glance to understand why as the blonde giant was hot on their trail. “Oh no you don’t!” She flashed a toothy grin and gave chase. That is, if chase meant taking very slow and prolonged steps so her boots always fell shy of the fleeing youths.

One of the children, a little girl, dared to turn her head to see how close Alexandra was to the group. Her gaze met with the bottom of a worn boot that, if legends were to be believed, had ended hundreds of lives in the past. Her shriek was especially loud as she picked up speed. Yet the boot was simply too big for them and its shadow overcame the group. The boot lowered slowly, touching their small heads with her sole.

“Tag!” Alexandra said triumphantly and pulled her foot back; laughing at the children she so effortlessly knocked over. None seemed hurt, only a bit mussed.

The whole scene was heartwarming as the children clambered back to their feet and proceeded to chase the casually walking giant. Especially to Emil, one of the many onlookers who watched the scene unfold. With the safety of the children guaranteed many released the breath they had been holding and continued along their merry way. All but Emil who maintained his gaze upon the giant haughtily taunting the kids who failed to keep up.

Were the stories to be believed Alexandra was well over several hundred years old, yet she didn’t seem to have aged a day past twenty. Despite all that time spent on this world she maintained a youthful visage, beautiful and elegant with naught but jovial warmth in her eyes. A face set in a seemingly permanent smile, framed by braided blonde hair. Even as she groaned once a child finally managed to tag her the smile refused to completely fade away.

By comparison Emil lacked in all areas, a plain face with plain brown hair and an altogether not too impressive physique to boot. Dark brown eyes that seemed to always add a bit of a snark to his otherwise drole expression. He truly was the embodiment of the modest little farmhand he was, and he was completely fine with that. His eyes lingered on Alexandra and the children for a long moment as he finally begrudgingly turned to walk back home.

“You’re never gonna catch me, Goddess or not!” A child’s voice screamed loud enough for all to hear and brought a small smile to Emil’s dopey face.

It was difficult to say when it had happened, but at some point during the centuries that Alexandra had watched over Windermere her name and God or Goddess had grown interchangeable. Not that she or anybody else seemed to mind it. It was usually just something the children said, Emil himself was guilty of calling her by that in his youth. Simply hearing it was enough to allow him to briefly reflect in nostalgia on those simpler days.

Since her arrival Windermere had changed substantially. The simple little village with little more than huts and fields was now a town proper, complete with cobblestone roads and houses supported with wooden beams and brick. Farming and tailoring remained the trades of choice and had long since become the biggest industries in town. Thanks in no small part to the extra-large mouth to feed and clothe.

Feeling the ground shake beneath his feet, Emil turned a quick eye over to the source and found Alexandra sitting atop the local brewery. The building creaked beneath her weight but somehow held fast as it always had. From within the building a familiar hulking figure could be seen lugging out a barrel over his shoulder. He was an attractive man with long, dark hair and rippling muscles. A year ago the man was Andrei: strongest man in the village and the best damned farmer one could have ever imagined. But now he was Andrei: Attendant to the great and powerful Alexandra.

The Attendant was too far to overhear his words but he appeared to be offering the barrel to his giant master. In a fluid motion deceptively fast for her size Alexandra’s hands quickly snagged it. She hoisted it over her open mouth and clenched her fist, allowing the gallons of ale that filled the barrel to rain down into her gaping maw before casually tossing the splintered wood aside. A large, pink tongue licked the extra droplets along her lips happily.

Emil shrugged and continued walking the other way, overhearing Alexandra’s loud demand of “Another!” from behind.

Even with its developments over the years Windermere was still a small town all things considered. It took no time at all before Emil navigated his way home, his thoughts on the big event coming tomorrow.

The end of the final week of the year was nearing and with it a new Attendant would be chosen. Soon Andrei would be relieved of his duty. Though they would never speak it aloud many of the townsfolk were nervous that they or their children would be selected next.

To be Alexandra’s Attendant is to be removed from everyone. A person’s life no longer becomes about a trade and instead becomes about her. In exchange for servicing her for a year she remains satisfied and doesn’t bring her wrath down upon the town. One person’s sacrifice for the wellbeing of everyone. Perhaps not a perfect system, but it was simply the way things were; and it would’ve taken a much greater man than he to try and fix what wasn’t broken.

Not that Emil was even slightly concerned with it. After all, he was confident there was no way he’d be chosen. He was neither the strongest, smartest, handsomest, nor the most charming lad in town. He was simply a farm boy who blended into the scenery, practically human window dressing. Not even worth the giant’s time, content to sit back and let tradition play out once more as he minded his own business.

Regardless, involved or not, tomorrow would mark a historic day for Windermere.

Though these were thoughts he cast aside for later. What was much more pressing was tonight’s party. A two-hundred year anniversary didn’t come every day after all.