- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Mike's plans for the weekend get canceled. 

Mike set his phone down on his bedside table. His friend Drake had just called him to cancel their plans for the weekend. Originally, he was going to spend the weekend at Drake's house, but he had a change of plans last minute. Looked like Mike would be spending his weekend at home once again. He lived with his parents and three sisters. His dad, however, was away on a business trip this weekend, and thus he wanted to get out of the house, lest he spend the weekend doing a bunch of girl things with his sister. But that's how it went, it wouldn't be so bad, he supposed. 

He had already told his mom he would be out all weekend, but whatever. She would find out he wasn't going when she came home. Right now, Mike was all by himself. His mom was at work, as were his two older sisters; his younger sister being at school at the moment. He figured he might as well make the time he did have to himself worthwhile. He headed into the kitchen to grab a quick bite to eat, then would spend some quality time in his room doing whatever he pleased. Mike wasn't against spending time with his sisters, or doing the things they enjoyed, it was simply that being the only son, he didn't have much say over them. He typically just went along with whatever they did. 

Looking through the fridge, Mike found hardly a trace of food. That was a lie, there was plenty of food, but none he felt like taking the time to prepare and cook. He went to the cabinet and settled on some toast. It was plain, but it was food. He would wait until his mom came home and made dinner. That would be fine. Except Mike noticed one issue: the bread was growing mold. More upset then he should have been over moldy bread, he reluctantly tossed it into the trash can in the pantry. He wasn't that hungry anyway. He decided to just head back to his room for now. Mike didn't even realized he had blacked out.



Waking up dazed and confused, it took Mike a few seconds to orient himself. What the hell happened? Whatever, he gave himself a quick glance over, and he wasn't harmed. He would just forget that even happened, head back to his room and----

What the hell? It was like finding the tree in the forest. Mike knew exactly what had happened, but he couldn't figure it out. Maybe he didn't want to believe it? Maybe he didn't understand it? The floor he was standing on was the same tile as his kitchen floor, he knew that for a fact. But there was something wrong. Something was different. It seemed like it was a lot farther to the carpeted hallway than ever before. And the kitchen itself seemed a lot bigger than before. And the ceiling was much higher... And the counter reached into the sky... He was in his kitchen, he was sure. But everything was....huge now? No, that wasn't it. Nothing grew. The kitchen was the same size. Something got smaller. It was Mike. He let out a scream when it hit him. When he finally realized what had occurred. He pinched himself. Nothing. He yelled for his mom. No response. He tried to wake up. He was already awake. This was real. Mike had shrunk. And he had no idea why. And no one else knew. 

Mike started cursing. This had to be some kind of dream. Some dumb prank his sisters were playing on him. This couldn't be real. This could not be real. This could not possibly be happening. But it was. Mike cursed once more. And again. And once again when he realized he didn't have his phone. He had left it on his bed table. Of course he would leave it there, why would he take his phone if he was just going outside his room? He never would have expected this would have happened. At least his clothes had shrunken with him as well. 

That was how Mike now found himself the size of a speck of dust on the floor of his kitchen. Home alone, no one knew what had occurred to him. And his family thought he was gone all weekend. And his phone was sitting in his room. Mike was screwed. It saddened Mike to do so, but he looked around at his surroundings. And he got a sense for just how damn minuscule he had gotten. It seems he had been in the center of his kitchen, as such, he was no where near anything. The hallway looked about several miles away to him, and living room even farther. Hell, the kitchen table itself was a trek in itself, and that was only a few feet away. He knew he had to get to his room, and get his phone. That was all at the way at the end of the hallway. It would probably take him all weekend to get there, but it was better than doing nothing. With as best a plan as he could come up with, Mike began the long hike towards the hallway.

Mike wasn't the cleanest person around, and he didn't mind if things were a little dirty, but at this size, that changed. The kitchen floor was pretty damn disgusting. There was pretty much a layer of dust covering the entire floor, and Mike found he had to wade through it, as it basically covered his ankles. This was probably impossible to see for a normal sized human, but it was pretty damn clear to Mike. As he trekked, Mike came across giant boulders, except they weren't really boulders. They were simply crumbs. Some of them were a bit smaller than him, some where larger than Mike. He didn't like looking at those ones. He was trying to picture that crumb taller than him from a normal sized perspective. It probably looked like a little speck on the ground people just ignored. And he was smaller than that. He cursed once more. 

Mike had been walking for several minutes, but the hallway looked like it was the same distance away. He had barely made any progress at all. He was beginning to get famished as well. He thought of the moldy bread he had just tossed. And how he didn't want to cook any food. He was regretting that now. He was also getting pretty thirsty. He didn't even think about that. It was going to take him days to get to his room, but what about food and water? How was he going to live without that. His lips were already getting dry. He couldn't help but think about the large bottle of ice tea he had in his room. What he wouldn't give to be back in there. Normal sized of course. 

After a few more minutes of walking, Mike came across a tiny puddle of water on the floor. He wasn't really sure how it had got there. It was big to him, but not too big. Probably not even noticeable from up above. It, too, was covered with a thin layer of dust that had settled on top of it was tinted the water a faint shade of grey. He hesitated for a moment, but thirst won out in the end, and he fell to his hands and knees and began slurping the water off the floor. He tried not to think how humiliating this was, and focused rather on the fact it was water. He didn't know when he would come across this chance again. He just needed to get to his room as quick as possible. 

After about an hour of trekking across the kitchen floor, Mike had gotten only a foot or two in normal sized equivalent. He looked around, and noticed he was still near the center of the kitchen, the hallway still miles away. How the hell was he going to get to his room? He would die of dehydration or exhaustion before that happened. Maybe that wasn't the best plan? But if that wasn't the right plan, then what was? 

Mike didn't really have much time to think about it as he heard the familiar sound of the front door being opened. The door was down a set of stairs from the kitchen, but otherwise in front of it. Even the door being opened this far away from him shook the floor and caused Mike to stumble a tad, but he caught himself. He wasn't prepared for the door being shut and causing an even greater quake, this time knocking Mike over and onto the dusty ground. The thin layer easily clung to his clothing like a magnet, and Mike found himself bathed in a light cloak of gray. Busy trying to brush it off, he wasn't paying attention as his sister Molly had walked in, and was beginning to climb the stairs towards the kitchen. 

The ground shook once more as Molly's sneaker slammed onto the kitchen floor from the hallway. Mike once again fell into the dusty floor, only this time he was distracted by something else. Looking up from the ground, Mike saw the largest thing he had seen his is life: the skyscraper sized figure of his sister standing miles away from him in the kitchen. 

Chapter End Notes:

End of Chapter 1.