- Text Size +

Chapter 4: Hard Truths




Darius, Sanders, and William all left the Romans to get ready to move. Darius nodded to Jimmy as they left and he, along with Ollie and a hand-picked squad of Phoenixes, moved to break down the computer so it could be moved. Allies or not, both William and Darius had agreed they wanted their own people protecting it from harm. It wasn't that William didn't think the Shadows were committed to the task, just it was far too valuable to risk. Doubly so with Sanders having confirmed the existence of Society spies, a fear William had held since the Bears' sudden defeat.

 

"Are you sure the...Romans will help us once they see the video? If that squad was any indication..." Sanders said, unable to hide his anger toward them. While William understood the anger he, also, knew it was a bit unfair. The Romans had been nearly wiped out because of their kindness, it wasn't surprising they had become hardened and cold after something like that. But Sanders didn't know that so...

 

"They will, don't worry. Just make sure Pyrrha is ready to depart for the Roman border," Darius said, not bothered to look back at the Ex-ranger. Sanders didn't look convinced and his angry look only grew. Sanders was no fool and he knew he was being left out of something. Despite that, though, he simply sighed before turning to head toward Pyrrha. William wanted to tell him the truth, tell him why the KNEW this would work...but...

 

Dammit, William hated this plan and yet...and yet it had to be done. They NEEDED Rome if they were going to make Manchent's idea work. Leaving that necessity up to their kindness and willingness to fight was just not an option. It was too important, even if it was horrid. But Sanders and his strong moral compass might see it differently. And they couldn’t afford that risk.

 

William shook his guilt away as they approached Malcolm. He was busy talking to Roan about something, but stopped when he noticed them approaching.

 

"So, do we have some new friends to add to our merry band?" he asked, smiling a bit as his own joke.

 

"Friends might be a stretch, but they are willing to help spread the word to their city," William answered. Malcolm nodded before looking down and letting out a sigh.

 

"Still don't like having to do this to them. Feels underhanded and just...wrong," Malcolm said, voicing the same distaste William had. Oddly, Roan seemed to give Malcolm a glare for a second, but it vanished almost instantly. Now what was that about?

 

"Wrong or not, we have little choice. We need the Roman's technology and superior equipment. Besides, all we are doing is speeding the inevitable," Darius said, brushing aside Malcolm's doubts with a wave of his hand. Malcolm sighed again and nodded.

 

"Yeah, yeah, I know. Doesn't mean I have to like it," Malcolm grumbled. He looked about to leave, but a cough from Roan got him to turn back. Realization went over his face before he turned back to them.

 

"OH right, almost forgot. The Spectres have scouted out the area between here and Rome's border. Not much Society activity besides a fairy or two so we should be able to reach it without too much trouble," Malcolm reported. Hehe, seems Roan did more than just deliver messages. William had a feeling that was the case, the boy had a good head on his shoulders.

 

"Excellent. Once the Romans are ready, we will move out to the Roman border. Unless there is something else?" Darius asked as he glanced between the two of them. Malcolm didn't look to have any issues, but William did have one.

 

"What is our plan if they are lying? What do we do if they tell no one or... someone else," William said, as he thought of the potential issues of the Society finding them. Both Malcolm and Roan's faces darkened, but Darius simply stared at him. A second passed before Darius got the faintest hint of a smile.

 

"Ollie!" Darius yelled, causing the radio-operator to turn toward them.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Victor waited till the Outsiders had moved away before motioned for his people to gather around. They moved a few yards away, making sure to get out of earshot, before stopping to talk.

 

"Are we, seriously, going to help those.... outsiders?" Gordan demanded, getting a sigh from Victor.

 

"We never agreed to help them, only bring this information to Rome," Chandler corrected, giving Gordan a glare. Gordan rolled his eyes and dismissed the detail with a wave.  Victor understood Gordan's anger toward outsiders, but that detail was critical.

 

"As Chandler said, I never agreed to aiding them nor have any intention to. That will be up to the Mayor and the Commander to decide. What we ARE going to do is make sure both are made aware of this... revelation. If nothing else, they need to know just how far those... beasts are willing to go," Victor said, unable to keep his anger hidden away. Gordan's dismissive look faded at those words and the rest of the squad nodded in agreement.

 

"To that end, we are staying on radio silence and no one is to even look at their radio. Similarly, no one is to talk about this to anyone, not the boat crew, not the aid workers, not even amongst yourselves. I will tell the Commander, in person, when we arrive and he will decide how best to handle this. Till then, this information doesn’t leave this squad, understood?" Victor asked. The squad gave a crisp yes, sir, including Gordan. No one here was going to imply that Commander Andron wouldn’t know how best to handle this.

 

“Good. Get your stuff packed and ready to move, we’ll be heading back to Rome in five,” Victor ordered as his squad spread out to pack up the few things they had unpacked. Victor, though, had to suppress a wave of anxiety and fear. An entire world to pull from… Those words seemed to haunt his thoughts as he thought back to his beloved hometown… and how ill prepared for an onslaught of this magnitude it was.




---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Terence crossed his arms as he looked out over the last bridge leading into, and out of, Rome. The entire structure had been converted into an impregnable fortress with abandoned cars becoming rally points and its raised podiums turned to gun-ports. Firing pits with barricades had been set up along the road and the buildings beside the bridge were now bristling with normal-sized guns converted into virtual cannons. But despite all that, it was useless against the Society across the river.

 

For nearly a week the small squad of Society giantesses had sat just outside their guns’ range, watching and mapping their defenses. The small squad, maybe four giantesses if that, were no threat to Rome, but were more than enough to keep them bottled up. And that was what set Terence's blood to boiling.

 

It would have been a simple task to lead an attack out to force the Society away. Even with his poorly trained soldiers, they could provide enough of a threat to force the squad to either retreat or risk a battle that might draw them into range of Rome's guns. It would be risky, but reopening their main entrance and denying the Society intel would be worth a few lives. But the clearance for such an action would never come, not as long as Jody was the damn mayor...

 

Fucking coward... It had taken Terence threatening to resign just to get a damn scouting mission approved. A SCOUTING MISSION! Did he not realize how unusual this entire situation was?! Why would the Society come out here in such numbers if NOT to attack Rome? It made no damn sense, unless they were preparing for a major assault out where Rome couldn’t see. Why else would they be in Lindale, there was nothing there! And yet, STILL, Jody had stood behind his isolationist policies and the people...the damn people sided with him. Fools...

 

Even with the minor victory of his scouting team being approved, it was bittersweet. Jody had caved, but only far enough to clear a single squad to be sent out. A single, fucking squad... Worse, he had made it clear they were to take no anti-giantess weapons. Terence would have sent at least three and loaded each with more than enough firepower to take on two giantesses, but Jody would not budge on those restrictions. It was maddening, but unavoidable... Victor and his people had pulled the short straw and now... now they were out there with no support and with underpowered weapons. Worse, they were forced to stay radio silent lest they reveal their position. But it couldn't be helped. They needed to know what the Society was doing before whatever it was smashed into their defenses.

 

That thought brought Terence back to why he was out here. With an attack on the way, he wanted to make sure their defenses were at their best. To that end, he was inspecting them personally and trying to raise morale with his appearance. It was about all he could do since Jody had refused to let him test his soldier's mettle and Poole’s gear against the enemy, Society or otherwise. If the damn fool had only let him make a few excursions, they could have far more battle-tested soldiers AND have real combat experience to bring back to Poole. That kind of stuff was inva-

 

Terence's inner rant was brought to a stop as he noticed someone moving toward him. The figure moved closer and he recognized the smaller frame of his second, Captain Dixie Warner. She gave him a crisp salute, which he returned, before speaking.

 

"Message from Extraction point Delta, sir. Victor and his squad just arrived and are heading back as we speak," Dixie reported in her usual overly formal tone. Terence had given up on trying to make her less... stiff around him a long time ago, so he just nodded in thanks.

 

"Did they report how many were injured or missing?" Terence asked, already fearing the worst. He had not expected Victor to be back so soon, which raised worrying questions on his mission and his squad's status. Terence motioned for Dixie to follow as he started toward their vehicle so they could move and talk.

 

"I'm afraid not, sir. But they did mention Victor himself was there," Dixie said with the barest hint of worry in her voice. Well that was something. Victor was one of the few experienced and competent squad leaders they had, his loss would have been a nasty blow. Not to say that the lose of anyone on that squad wouldn't be, just... well... As the Commander, such things had to always be taken into account, even If Terence hated himself a bit when he did.

 

Terence shook that thought away as he and Dixie climbed into the converted hotwheels car. Dixie started the electric motor and the toy car zipped away from the bridge and toward the hidden extraction point.

 

A few minutes later saw them pulling up to the hidden dock and small wooden shack of the extraction point. The place had been made specifically for this sort of covert extraction or incursion and was hidden from sight by an overturned canoe. From the sounds coming from the shack, Victor's team had already made the trip across the river and were recovering from the journey. Crossing the river was always a harrowing experience even with an electric boat. Since stealth was an issue the motor could only be used at intervals and rowing or wind had to make due during those times. And if the wind decided to give out or the current got too strong... It wasn't uncommon to wind up missing the intending landing area by a large margin.

 

Terence and Dixie headed to the shack, saluting the guards standing watch, and moved inside to see the squad. Terence gave a silent prayer of thanks as he spotted everyone in Victor’s squad eating or warming themselves by the small fire. All of them looked tired and worn from their trip, In fact, they were so tired that it took them a second to notice him and Dixie. They were all about to spring to attention, but Terence waved them down.

 

"No, no, at ease. You have all earned a rest. In fact, rationing is suspended for tomorrow and you are all on leave for the next two days," Terence said with a proud smile. The squad erupted with a cry of celebration as their exhaustion was forgotten for a moment. All save Victor who still wore a rather dore look and started to move toward him. Deciding to let the soldiers have this celebration, Terence motioned for Victor to follow him outside so they could talk about this situation out of earshot.

 

"What did you find out there, Colonel?" Terence asked once they had moved outside. Victor looked about to answer before glancing away as if in thought. He was silent for a second before sighing and looking to have made up his mind.

 

"I still am not sure how to best explain it, sir. I suppose starting from the beginning will have to do.. Things were going fine till we ran int-....

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Terence had listened very carefully to the Colonel's report. Dixie had looked more than a bit upset at the mentioning of outsiders, and the lack of killing them, but didn't interrupt. It was good that she didn't because the information after the outsiders arrival was far, FAR more interesting... and horrifying.

 

"You are sure it was Gregor Manchent, Victor?" Terence asked, his shock causing him to forget rank for a moment. Victor gave a short sigh before nodding.

 

"Yes, sir, we all agreed on it. The computer that delivered the message was far too advanced to be made by outsiders, as well. If you pardon the language, sir, we'd been damn hard pressed to make something like that," he said causing Terence to swear. Dear God... The Society were behind the Disaster... If that was true... Terence ran his hand through his black, stubby hair and glanced back at the bridge. Goddammit, and those monsters were waiting just across that thing! They needed to get ready, get everything prepped, get....get the Mayor's approval… awww hell...

 

"We need to tell Mayor Cortez about this," Terence said partly to himself and partly to Dixie. Dixie had managed to keep her shock hidden away by her impassive mask, but the mask finally cracked as she turned to look at Terence in surprise.

 

"S-Sir? Are...are you sure that is wise?" she asked looking a bit worried. He could understand why considering what he was about to try and tell him. Jody was not one to let something like facts get in the way of his political policy.

 

"It has to be done. He has to know what is coming for us and I need him to stop tying my hands before it hits," Terence said as he started to head for the car. Dixie, however, didn't relent.

 

"Commander, think about this! We're not even completely positive this is real!" Dixie said, her general hate for all outsiders starting to show. Terence gave her a look that made it clear it was not up for debate before starting forward again. But still she continued, ignoring the warning glare.

 

"Terence, you can't do this! You know the Mayor won't believe you! Worse, he will use the fact a scout team YOU demanded be sent out made deals with Outsiders to get rid of you! And no one, not even the other Captains, will fault him for it once they learn that, true or not," Dixie yelled, her usual facade of calm and professional conduct falling apart. Terence stopped mid stride as Dixie finished. He turned back to her and saw her giving him a frustrated and worried stare. Victor let out a sigh of his own and barely shook his head at his old friend. Goddammit...

 

"I don't have much of a choice, though, do I? We need to be ready and the only way I can make sure we are is by getting the Mayor's blessing," Terence said, unable to keep his frustration out of his voice. Part of him knew Dixie was right and that Jody would bury his head like he always did. But Terence was sick of this damn political game. For better or worse, this was ending tonight.

 

"Sir, please do-... Victor, can you contact those outsiders again?" Dixie said as Terence starting back toward the car. He stopped and turned back curious to see where she was going with this. Victor raised an eyebrow at her question, but nodded.

 

"Yes, ma'am, they showed us a way to contact them if we needed to," Victor confirmed.

 

"Commander, Mayor Cortez won't believe you, but he can't deny the truth if it's staring him in the face, doubly so if you show it to the other Captains and Representatives. If we bring this computer back here and show the video to them..." Dixie said, a faintest hint of a smile appearing on her face. Terence took a moment to think on her suggestion before smiling himself. Of course... with all that pressure he would have to cave or risk being removed. And while the Representatives tended to be cowards as well, even they couldn't deny the huge risk this implied, doubly so with the Society on their doorstep. They would give him what he wanted out of the very fear that keep them locked in place behind Jody.

 

"Dixie, you devious minx. Remind me to raise your pay for that idea," Terence said as he moved back to join the other two. She gave him a mischievous smile and looked about to say something, but didn’t get it out in time.

 

"One problem with that plan, I doubt the Outsiders will go for it," Victor said, looking sad that he had to rain on the parade. Both Dixie and Terence turned to him and Victor let a sigh escape his mouth.

 

"The Outsiders were guarding that computer WAY better than they were guarding their leader. I would be dumbstruck if they would even consider letting it out of their sights," Victor admitted with a sad look. Goddammit, just when they had a good plan it was snatched away. Yet Terence should have guessed that would be the case. If that computer was real, it was beyond valuable in more ways than one. But even so they HAD to get it to City Hall if Rome was to wake up to the danger across its rivers. There had to be some...way...

 

"Then we will have to make a trade, a show of our good faith in returning it to them," Terence said as he turned to look at Victor. Victor's eyebrow got about half raised before realization hit. His face turned into a disapproving glare and he crossed his arms in implied refusal. Good thing Terence was the Commander here. Dixie took another second to get the implications but did more than just silently disapprove.

 

"ABSOLUTELY NOT! Commander, these are OUTSIDERS! Do you have any idea what they might do to you? What they might demand for your return?! And what if Jody do-" she said, but stopped as Terence put his hand on her shoulder.

 

"Worse comes to worse, Rome is still in good hands. And, if nothing else, hearing I was killed in such a cowardly fashion should light a fire under Jody's ass to react. Might not be as much as we would hope, but it will be more than what we have. Besides, I want to see this computer myself," Terence said with a confident smile. Dixie glanced away at the compliment, but still looked furious. Victor shook his head and grumbled, but didn't add anything.

 

"Colonel, I'm afraid your leave will have to wait. I need you to join me on a trip back across the river.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Malcolm had to fight not to shake his head as he saw the boat moving toward the shore. Just last night the converted model boat had sailed away with the Roman scout squad. Now it was, silently, making its way back to this small inlet it had departed from. Just as Darius had said it would... Kinda scary how he managed to call this kind of shit. Though it did make Malcolm feel better about joining up with him.

 

Making sure to keep hidden among the river brush, Malcolm took out his spyglass and looked over the boat. He recognized the Roman Colonel, Victor, among the crew but didn't recognize anyone else. Whether that was good or bad he couldn't say, but he DID recognize the weapons they were packing. The scout squad had some very nice guns on them, but they had been small and compact. These, though, were practically military-grade assault rifles and looked capable of gunning a fairy down. That....kinda boded both ways. They wouldn't bring that kind of firepower if they didn't expect trouble, OR were trying to protect someone important FROM trouble. Hopefully it was that last one otherwise… well Malcolm didn’t much care to think on otherwise.

 

As the ship moved into the inlet, it disappeared from view thanks to the mess it was in. A full-sized dock had been in the inlet, providing a place for people to launch their boats, but it had crumbled away due to time. Now the only thing left was a few slowly rotting pieces of timber and broken cement slabs. It made the dock useless for a full-sized boat, but ideal for small model one that didn’t want to be noticed.

 

While it would have been simple for him and his team to move to greet the Romans, it would also make it obvious they were lying in wait. And even if the Romans did fully expect them to, there was something to be said for at least putting on the show of not distrusting them. He and his team would lay low and wait till the Roman's sent the signal out for a meeting. Then they would head out.

 

Annoyingly enough, the Romans were in no big hurry and it was almost thirty minutes before the coded static signal was sent over the radio. The code was a Phoenix idea that was based on Morso Code, but changed so as to prevent easy decryption. With the signal sent, Malcolm and his team could, finally, head to the inlet.

 

A short walk saw the team arrive at the "entrance" to the area. They were greeted by two black Romans armed with their impressive rifles and wearing something close to actual armor. Neither looked pleased to see them, but didn't level their guns on them either. Malcolm guessed that was a good sign.

 

"Commander, the outsiders are here," the Roman said into a small radio strapped to his armor.  A single click was the only reply and the Roman went back to simply staring at Malcolm. Ho boy... he had known drill sergeants with smaller sticks up their asses.

 

Thankfully the staring contest only lasted a moment before Victor and another man appeared from behind some rubble. The new man was even darker than the other two and had armor on as well, but his looked a bit better maintained. A large pistol was strapped to his waist, but he didn't look to have a rifle. Wasn't exactly hard to figure out he was someone higher up than Victor, but just how high...

 

"Malcolm of the Shadows," Malcolm said as he extended his hand toward the new man. The Roman leader looked at it for a second before, finally, taking it. Seems the Roman's distaste for outsiders went up the chain as well as down it... great.

 

"Commander Andron. I want to see this computer and the video you showed my scout team," Andron said, getting right to the point. That was fine with Malcolm, he wasn't good with this diplomacy and good-manners stuff.

 

"Right, follow us and we'll take you to it," Malcolm said, wondering if he was going to have to use those unliked skills to get them to follow. Thankfully, and unthankfully, they were not needed as the Romans fell in behind them, along with ten of their friends who appeared out of the rubble. Oh good, the Romans did have SOME competent people, how wonderful. And best of all, Malcolm's team numbered only five... And with the Romans packing those rifles, well they didn't really NEED to worry about Malcolm and his team. The same didn't apply to Malcolm though.

 

Thankfully, the Romans decided not to give Malcolm and his people new assholes and the trip was uneventful. Malcolm lead them to the abandoned, and nearly collapsed, bait shop near the dock where the Phoenixes had hunkered down. A wave of gasps and swears escaped the Romans as they got close enough to spot Pyrrha, who was lying at the entrance. For her part, Pyrrha simply smiled at them as sweetly as a giant, building sized catmonster could.

 

"Don't worry, she's with us. As long as you don't hurt her, or us, she won't hurt you," Malcolm said back to the Romans, having to keep looking forward to hide a smirk. Those fancy guns and armor wouldn't mean shit if Pyrrha decided they were a threat and that let Malcolm, finally, relax a bit.

 

The Romans got the message and keep their guns down as they entered the bait shop without a pissed off catmonster. Since they had only arrived a few hours before, there wasn't really anything set up inside the shop. Most of the equipment had been left on Pyrrha, save for some sleeping bags, and the command area was really just section set off by itself. Malcolm lead the Romans, who were looking more and more tense as they saw their numbers, to the command area. Darius and William were discussing something over a table that had been set up with a map. They both turned to greet the Romans as Malcolm sent his team to go rest. The team moved through the Romans and more than a few curses came from their passing as they bumped into each other.

 

"Colonel, and this would be?" Darius asked, with a slight smile, after nodding to Victor. Malcolm moved to stand next to them while the other Romans spread out in a guard formation. So very trusting...

 

"Commander Terence Andron, I am here representing Rome’s military. I want to see the video," Terence half-said half-demanded. Damn, Malcolm wasn't one to beat around the bush, but Terence had just plowed right through the bush with a chainsaw. Despite this, Darius' face remained pleasant.

 

"Of course, but I would prefer to talk of an alli-" Darius started, but was cut off by Terence.

 

"Either I see this video or we leave. There will be no discussions till then," he said with a glare. Victor and the other Romans all visibly tensed at the declaration. A few of the Phoenix and Shadows troops around the area began to shift toward their own weapons as the tension began to ooze outward. Darius' smile slowly vanished as Malcolm felt his own hand inch closer toward his sidearm.

 

"...Fine. Jimmy! Get the computer set up so our... guests can see it," Darius ordered, looking annoyed, but keeping his tone neutral. Jimmy, who had been making a few adjustments to the platform, gave a thumbs up before climbing up to retrieve the computer along with a few others.

 

"I assume asking you to disarm is out of the question, but I am going to insist you be guarded. William, my second, will be... joining you," Darius said, his voice still neutral but with a hint of anger. Terence didn't look very happy with it, but nodded. At least the guy was somewhat reasonable.

 

A minute later, Jimmy had the computer mostly set up and William lead the Romans, along with a full squad of the Phoenixes' best, to it. Darius and Malcolm watched them go till they were out of earshot.

 

"Think it worked?" Malcolm asked, worrying a bit that they might be suspecting something. Darius' face was impassive as ever as he nodded.

 

"They expected a slight fight to get what they wanted, they had one. Why would they expect anything more?" he asked before turning away and heading toward Pyrrha. Malcolm guessed that was true... and it wasn't like they could do anything to stop it now. He still felt a little bad about doing this, but it was for the greater good.

Malcolm turned and fell in with Darius. It wasn't long before Roan moved up to them and passed an object to Malcolm. Most of the Romans had keep their radio strapped to their armor, but Victor had left his repaired one on his belt. And thanks to a Shadow who had been a pickpocket in another live, he never even noticed its absence.

 

It was still amazing  how well made the Roman radio was and it further reinforced the need for this ploy. They NEEDED this tech and the Romans, even if they didn't want to admit it, needed their expertise. Malcolm handed the radio to Darius, who studied it with approval for a second. It wasn't long, however, till he passed it to someone else.

 

Ollie took the radio and, after being amazed at it for a second as well, began to take it apart. He hooked a few wires to his own, much more jury-rigged, radio and made a few adjustments here and there. He took out the headset and began to fiddle with the dials, switches, and the stolen radio. After a minute of work, he smiled and gave a thumbs up. Darius nodded before turning and passing the go signal through the Shadows. A second later, Jimmy would, finally, finish the computer's setup and the video would begin. But Terence and his people wouldn't be the only ones to hear it…

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

These Roman soldiers Commander Terence had brought were, obvious, professionals. Despite the world shattering news they heard, all of them stayed focused on guarding their commander and didn’t even twitch at the revelation. Terence keep his feeling hidden, as well. It wasn't until the video had ended completely that he let any emotion through. The Commander lowered his head and let out a long, sad sigh as he rubbed his forehead.

 

"Part of me wanted this to be a trick... but it isn't, is it?" he asked, glancing up toward William. William gave him an understanding smile before shaking his head.

 

"I am afraid not," he said causing Terence to lower his head again. He stayed like that for a second before drawing himself up with a deep breath. The despair and worry that had been on his face vanished as he set his face into a determined frown.

 

"Then we don't have time to lose. Let us return to your leader, we have much to discuss," Terence said, his tone much more amiable and respectful. William had to hide his smile as he nodded and stood to lead the way. It was good to see Terence already grasped the implications of this information. The technology of Rome would help, but they needed more capable leaders as well. Terence, so far, was showing signs of being one. He just hoped Darius' plan didn't turn the Roman Commander against them...

 

William lead the Romans back as Jimmy and the other Phoenixes began to break the computer down. Darius and Malcolm had moved away from the radio and back to where they had been before. Both turned to face them as they moved toward them.

 

"I... feel I owe you an apology. There is no doubt that was Manchent himself and, rather than suspicions, I should have given you gratitude for showing us this. So I am sorry for my earlier behavior and thank you for sharing this... worrying information," Terence said to Darius, already patching up the bridge he had damaged before.

 

Darius waved the apology away before answering.

 

"There is no need for that. In your position, I would have done the same. Let us put that behind us and, instead, focus on the now and the future," Darius said before moving closer to Terence.

 

"I am Darius Ranferd, Leader of the Phoenixes Resistance group. This is Malcolm, Captain of the Shadows groups who has allied with us and you have meet William my second," Darius said as he held his hand out in offer and motioned toward people in turn. Terence took the offered hand and gave it a firm shake.

 

"Terence Andron, Commander of the Roman military," Terence said as a great deal of the lingering tension was dispersed. Things were going good so far...but in a few moments...

 

"Well, you have seen the video and with it learned just what kind of foe we are really facing. Therefore I have to ask again, will you join us in fighting them?" Darius asked, moving straight toward the objective without wasting a word. If Terence was bothered by that, he hid it well and, instead, seemed more sad about it.

 

"If it was up to me the answer would be yes," the words caused a few of the Romans to tense, "but, sadly, it is not. Our city’s Mayor is the only one who can decide such things and he is... dedicated to our isolation."

 

"How dedicated are we talking about?" Malcolm asked as he sent a quick glance toward Darius. That was a bit worrying. They had assumed someone high up would be like that, but the leader of the entire city himself… That could throw a major wrench in the plan if he was truly dedicated.

 

"Dedicated enough to not allow even a single recon squad to leave without serious pressure from myself," Terence admitted, his shoulders slumping a bit. Malcolm rolled his eyes in annoyance while William had to fight not to show his worry. Darius' gamble was looking less and less appealing, but-

 

"-on. C..-nder Andron, respond!" a female voice said from, seemingly, nowhere. Terence glanced down toward his belt in confusion and took out a radio that was attached to it. Oh no... Ollie's jamming must have been overridden! This wasn't good, the plan was for them to reveal what had happened, not for their own people to tell them! If they found it this way…!

 

Darius looked about to speak up, trying to stop the potential disaster, but was too slow as Terence activated the radio.

 

"Andron here, go ahead," Terence said into the radio. NO NO NO!

 

"Thank God, Commander we have a serious situation here! The outsiders hacked our radio channels and took over the signal for a few minutes! They broadcas-" the female started to say but was stopped by Terence.

 

"They did WHAT?!" he demanded before his eyes locked with Darius'. The Romans all drew their weapons as the Shadows and Phoenixes who had been pretending not to watch all drew their own. Malcolm had his own handgun out and leveled at Victor and the Colonel did the same...and noticed something else as he did.

 

"Commander, my radio is missing," Victor said with an underlying growl. Terence's eyes narrowed even further into rage as the stand-off became seconds away from a bloodbath. William wanted to move to stop this, but knew his intention could easily be misread and set the powder-keg off. There had to be a way to stop this, but William couldn’t think of one that might not backfire.

 

"As I said, Commander, they hacked into the radio and broadcasted that message from Manchent! We have been trying to contact you since it started to stop it, but couldn't get through," the female voice continued, unaware of the situation happening on the other end of the radio. To William's surprise, Terence's anger seemed to cool at those words and he risked a glance at his radio.

 

"Say again, Captain, what was transmitted?" he asked as fingers hovered over the triggers of guns. Darius, despite all this, keep his face neutral and impassive.

 

"The story, sir. The entire thing Colonel Victor told us," the woman, a Captain apparently, replied. Terence's eyes pulled away from Darius as he seemed to be lost in thought for a moment. They moved back to Darius a second later, but looked far less angry and more shocked.

 

"You planned this...while you were showing me that video..."

 

"All of Rome was hearing it as well, yes," Darius admitted, his face unflinching despite the immensely tense situation they were in. William had to admit some pride and respect for Darius being able to stay calm in this mess.

 

Terence shook his head and looked back at the radio.

 

"I understand, Captain. What's the situation in the city?" he asked as some of the tension seemed to fade ever so slowly.

 

"Not great, sir. People are furious after hearing that message and there has been a near riot outside the mayor's building. I-" she never finished as the radio went to static for a second. Terence started to glare back at Darius, most likely  to accuse him, when another voice came over the radio.

 

"Commander Andron," a deep, male voice said. Terence and more than a few of the Romans, including Victor, looked back at the radio in surprise.

 

"Mayor Jody," Terence replied as a slight glare formed on his face. William used the distraction to try and wave a few of the Phoenixes and Shadows off, but it wasn't long enough to signal them all to back down.

 

"Is it true? Was that really Gregor?" the Mayor asked, his voice sounding somewhere between despair and fury. William was unsure if that was a good or bad sign.

 

"It is, Mayor. And I wouldn't say that j-"

"I know, Commander. We have had our disagreements, but I know you would never lie about this sort of thing," the Mayor said. There was a long pause as the radio fell silent and the fingers hovering near triggers began to waver. If that Mayor ordered them to fire...all it would take is one Roman following that order for this to turn into a bloodbath.

 

"I have new orders for you, regarding these Outsiders," the Mayor said as the tension returned full force. William felt his heart stop as he reached for his own pistol. Please, God, don’t do this, don’t make it fall apart in this way!

 

"You are to bring them to Rome, ASAP so that we may discuss this information and... and a potential alliance against the Society," the Mayor said. William nearly collapsed in relief as a wave of released tension seemed to wash over the area. Even Darius couldn’t help but release a held breath. But best of all, Terence let a smile spread over his face.

 

"Understood, Mayor. I will make sure they arrive as quickly as possible," Terence said before looking back at Darius.

"You made one hell of a dangerous gamble, Mr. Ranferd, but it seems to have paid off. Stand down, boys," Terence said as the Romans lowered their weapons, most still looking angry, but not enough to disobey orders. Darius gave a hand signal and their own people did the same. The tension evaporated and William wondered how many of his few years he had just lost.

 

"It was a necessary risk, nothing more. And Darius is good enough," Darius responded with the faintest hint of a smile.

 

"Well then, Darius, if you would be so kind to get your people ready to move out w-" Terence started to say before he was interrupted by a yell of alarm.

 

"MALCOLM! DARIUS! MAL-..." Roan yelled as he stumbled up to them, panting and wheezing as he tried to catch his breath. The Roman’s looked about to raise their weapons, but stopped when they noticed the state Roan was in.

 

"Jesus, Roan, what the hell is so damn important that you nearly get us shot?!" Malcolm said as he helped Roan get back on his feet with an annoyed glare. Roan whizzed a few more times before managed to get words out.

 

"Society...heading...Rome...! They...they have someone in...in full... riot gear!" Everyone's, including Darius, eyes widened in horror.



Operative 2231:

Message:

Rome compromised. Alpha-objective spread through city via radio. Request further orders.

 

Response:

Execute Plan: Gamorra, Sword Force: Siegebreaker en route

Chapter End Notes:

And with this the set up is finally over. Next chapter we start the real meat of Act 3 and things get good. Better buckle up kiddies, things are about to get serious!