- Text Size +

-- One Week Earlier --

“The president will see you now.”

Heavy black doors swung open with the hiss of a pneumatic pump. They revealed an enormous office: expensive rugs swimming in a pool of white marble, and the megascrapers of Neo Frisco’s skyline through an uninterrupted arc of crystalline glass. A desk and a tall, dark chair were silhouetted between the two tallest scrapers, barely discernible from megascrapers cutting the horizon behind them. The chair did not turn as the girl entered the room and came to stand in front of the desk. An uncomfortably long silence passed before the girl spoke. 

When she did it was begrudgingly, as though forfeiting some unspoken contest. “I’m here,” she said.

“Yes, I know,” a woman’s voice replied.

Another uncomfortable silence passed, the girl’s hands clenched and unclenched and she said, “Did you wish to speak with me or did you summon me for the pleasure of my company?”

The woman laughed mirthlessly then said, “Don’t be ridiculous. I have something important to tell you.”

The girl’s fists clenched tightly. “What?”

“Mind your tone,” the woman’s voice took on a dangerous edge. 

“Please, just tell me whatever it is you have to tell me so I can go. Neither of us enjoy these visits.”

“Are you certain? I was convinced that you have come to enjoy disappointing me.” The girl winced as though slapped. The woman continued, “However, that is precisely why I’ve called you here today. I'm giving you an opportunity to put an end to the travesty of these last few years.” The chair turned and revealed a stern-faced woman with chiseled features that was more often described as handsome than beautiful. Short cropped black hair matched the black business suit that clung to her large and distinctly feminine frame. Her lips twisted disdainfully as she said, “It would be a relief not to suffer disappointment every time I look at you. How the best minds in human genetics could produce such colossal failure is beyond me.” 

The girl stared at the floor and said nothing.

“You should have been perfect, the pinnacle of feminine power instead you-” the woman’s voice rose in anger. “You lust like a dog in heat. Like a pathetic... male.” She invested ‘male’ with the same regard others might give ‘cockroach’.

“I’ve told you I-”

“Yes, yes. You can’t help it? I don’t believe that for an instant. You simply lack Discipline. Restraint. Control. Everything that makes a woman superior comes from within.”

“Have you called me here to lecture me then?” The girl asked through clenched teeth.

“No. For once, you’re right. We’ve gotten off track.” The suited woman stood and took long strides around the end of the desk until she stood towering over the girl. “There is cause for celebration, one of my successes may give you another chance to... grow up.”

A note of fear trembled in the girl’s voice, “Please don’t send me to another psych treatment, I’ll do any-”

“Silence.” The woman interrupted sternly. “If I thought it would do any good you’d be there now. This is something else.” Their eyes met and she said, “There is a formula that will enable you to experience a second puberty. However, there is no reason to believe a new puberty will have a more favorable conclusion than the first, at least not without some additional component. Which is why, starting next week, you will be attending GeneTech Institute.”

“I don’t understand,” the girl interjected, confused.

“A young man by the name of-” the woman paused, and tapped a display on her desk. “Dylan Anderson, has developed a marvelous formula for forcing organism along their optimal genetic path. In time, with the right motivation, he will perfect this formula and Fempire Unlimited will reap the benefits.”

“But why send me? Why not offer him a research grant or just buy the formula when it’s complete?”

“This is exactly what I was talking about, it is as if you relish disappointing me.” The girl glared but said nothing. “How many times must I tell you that precious fruit must be tended carefully? If I did as you suggest then he would only be motivated by monetary gain rather than a worthy raison d’etre: the empowerment of womankind. True greatness is only achieved by those who believe in the necessity of their actions.”

“You wan’t me to… convert him?”

“What I want is for you to stop disappointing me. Nurture his awe of womanhood. Captivate his malleable male mind and drive him to perfect his work. Make his entire reason for being the fulfillment of Fempire’s ambitions. Do this while restraining your base urges- while staying in control, and you will please me. This is a test. Succeed and you will secure a key component for our cause and earn a place at my side. Fail and well... it’s better not to speak of such things.” The tall woman’s severe gaze lowered on the diminutive girl. “Do you understand?”

“Yes, mother,” The girl responded mechanically.

The woman returned to her chair and swiveled to face the window in silent dismissal. The girl turned to leave. She made it halfway to the door before her mother spoke again. 

“And Priscilla, don’t forget: fruit plucked before it is ripe makes a bitter harvest.”

Priscilla let the door shut behind her without a reply.