- Text Size +

The room was small; the far wall lit up with the digital image from the video conferencing setup. Their on-site COO, Cindy Lindermark, sat across the table from Dr. Foley as he presented. Their two main investors and board members were virtually present, dialing in from New York City. The screen was dominated not by their faces, but by a project status chart. "As you can see, our farm relocation project is on schedule. We should have the new hydroponics up and running in just a few weeks, and after that we can begin transfer of the vines in stages." He flipped to the next slide. It showed a graph of profit projections. "We've finished the economic modeling for our second location, and think it makes a strong case for proceeding. As you know, the clientelle of our current limitation is somewhat limited by acceptable travel times. By placing an second facility in Micronesia, which we're calling Goddess Resort East or GRE, we believe we can increase participation from Asia, improving our profit growth rate even as we expand each facility." 

Reed Kendrick spoke up across the video-conference. "I've read about GRE, and I must say your argument is compelling. Have you finalized the security measures? We've worked quite hard to secure government protection for your current site, and also for the new farm location. I'd like to remind us all we need the same level of precautions there." Dr. Foley had never pieced together why he invested in the resort, he was a standard New York banker and hadn't expressed much shock or even interest in the goddess transformation process which most other parties considered fantastically unbelievable. He had merely audited their books, crunched some numbers, and signed on as their second large investor. Apparently all he cared about was the money, and so far he was happy, as they were set to generate lots of it.

"Yes of course, we are working with local countries now, working to obtain a site on one of the already protected islands. Further, we will not have any seedable Rashja on-site, so any compromise of the facility will not compromise our exclusive access to the product. I raise this as a board vote, all in favor of approving stage one of GRE, please make your vote now for the record. Cindy and the two investors across the video-conference each raised their hand and confirmed their vote in favor of the project, all knowing the entire conference was recorded for the record. "Excellent." He paused for a moment. He regretted this part of the conversation the most. "There is one other matter I must mention. It is a local matter, but one which may be interesting to the board. It turns out we have a subject who's k-decay factor far exceeds that of normal human subjects."

They all stared at him blankly until Cindy interjected, "in English please professor." 

"Oh of course. The k-decay factor is related to the rate at which the human body metabolizes Rashja, and thus the speed at secretable levels of converted Rashja are available after oral injestion of our serum. We've found this rate to be quite stable across the Resort patrons, independent of race, age, and fitness level. Basically, all patrons respond to Rashja the same way.... All patrons except the current patron-113. His k-decay factor, and Rashja response is five times higher than normal. If we encounter other patrons with the same response, we'll either need to create a program for handling them differently or they may have an adverse affect on profits."

They again stared somewhat blankly at him. Reed spoke up again. "If my memory serves, we have hosted over three thousand customers so far, is that correct?" Cindy and Dr. Foley both nodded. "And you have just one subject like this? Does he pose any immediate problem for the facilities, the other guests, or himself?" Dr. Foley shook his head and started to speak up before Reed held his hand up to stop him. "It is not the time to be distracted by your scientific interest doctor, you are important to the company to be distracted. Your energy should be focused on relocating the farm, bringing up GRE, and expanding our profit base. There will be time for more experiments later, right now time is of the essence. Assign the investigation to one of your assistants." He looked aside for a moment as the other board members nodded in agreement. "It appears my next meeting is here, if that is all, I believe we're adjourned?" Everyone nodded, and just a moment later the video-conference blinked off.