- Text Size +

At the remains of the high-school, firemen were setting up equipment to pro-actively hose down the building, making sure a fire didn't consume what was left of it. Some of the men were still distracted, talking among themselves, trying to make sense of having just seen a fifty-foot-tall teenager walk away from the site. The captain was on the radio with the chopper, still trying to understand the report of what happened.

"Wait, you mean there were two of them? Two fifty foot tall girls tearing up the school? That is your report?" The captain was in denial himself. Even though he saw Kitty walk away, it was only for an instant, and his mind was convinced he was mistaken.

"No, sir. Only one of them was tearing up the school. When the second one arrived, she seemed to talk to the first one, and then the first one shrank down. Sir, I know how this sounds. It's crazy. We have the entire event on video. Would you like us to land so you can look at the footage or go follow the second one? We can still see her."

"Negative. We need you in the air here to control the damage to the school. Tell us if you see any flames break out." 

"Roger..." The pilot was surprised, but those were his orders. He held the chopper in hover, turning to check that the first girl was still where he'd last seen her. "Captain, that first girl, the one who destroyed the school, is still sitting in the grass. She's about eight-hundred feet south-south-west of your position." 

"Roger." He wasn't sure who was more crazy, him, or his pilot. A girl destroyed the school? He couldn't make sense of it. His training took over, and he focused on making sure the remains of the school wouldn't go up in flames. He knew his field crews were already on the way, and would find whatever kids were still on the grounds. 

---

"Miss?" The fireman called out to a girl, sitting on a heavily trampled patch of grass, her head in her arms. She looked like she was crying. "Miss, are you okay? I'm going to come make sure you're okay. Were you inside the school when it happened?" 

"I didn't mean to hurt him," she weeped. The fireman had no idea what she meant. He walked around her, keeping a couple feet between them, taking a look for any signs of injury. She appeared to be a pretty tall girl, and other than a couple scratches on her arms, he didn't see any injury. If she was hurt, she was hiding it. She weeped again, sounding distraut, "I didn't mean to.."

"Miss, I need to take a look at you, see if you're hurt. Can you lift your head for me?" He set down his kit and crouched in front of her, coaxing her head up out of her lap. Her pupils were fully dialated, but he couldn't see any external signs of damage or trauma. He knew from his training, however, that she wasn't out of the woods yet. She could have internal injuries, or smoke inhalation. He needed to get her to an ambulance for a final check. He called over his radio, "i have a 10-52 on the west corner. I think I can walk her over." He turned his attention back to the girl. "Okay, now we're going to take this real slow. Take my hand. We're going to stand up, and if anything hurts, I want you to just sit back down."

He took both of his hands in hers, and gently helped her stand up. As she did, his jaw dropped. The girl wasn't just tall. She wasn't just taller than him. She was *two* *feet* taller than him. He had never seen anything like it. "Holy crap, you're tall." He bit his tongue, embarrassed that the moment had gotten the better of him. That was no way to talk to an injured disaster victim.

"Thanks, but you should have seen me a few minutes ago." Laura's sorrow for Dylan's fate briefly washed away as she took a deep breath and felt a surge of superiority looking down at the cute little fireman. "I was crushing this place to the ground until my little brother showed up." The fireman staggered a step backwards as Laura let out a haughty chuckle. "What? Are you afraid of little old me?" 

The Fireman was afraid. He took another few steps back. At first, he was backing away because her demeanor seemed unstable, almost slap-happy. Then what she said clicked together. Had she been the one destroying the school? How was that possible? 

Suddenly, two agents in black suits appeared, bearing down on her with guns. "Please stay where you are, Laura Hawthorn. We are going to take you in for questioning." 

"Aww. Want to cuff me officers? I've been a *bad* girl." Laura playfully put her hands behind her back, turning to show she was ready.

"Fireman, please vacate the area. Miss, lie down on the ground with your hands behind your back." The fireman didn't need another warning, he turned, jogging back towards his truck. On the way past the agents, he noticed they were strangely accompanied by a gorgeous young woman in a black top and a white skirt covered with dirt. What a day. He wondered what would happen next.