- Text Size +

  Over the course of the next few days Jessica had to explain what happened on her previous mission over and over again to various different people. Every aspect of her story was thoroughly investigated since Park Incorporated wanted to make sure that their operations on that distant planet hadn’t been compromised. All records that they had showed that there was no intelligent life at all on the planet and the closest planet with some advanced technology didn’t have the means to reach that planet. It was all very confusing for those involved but most of all for Jessica.

  She even went as far as to allowing Agent Carpenter to dive into her memories of what took place just to prove that she wasn’t making up the entire event. The company didn’t recognise the drones, it didn’t match anything that belonged to any military or public companies so it meant one of two things. It either meant that another species had somehow sent them there or they were from Home but from a person that they had yet to come across.

  Two people that Jessica didn’t tell was Tucker and Dawn. She didn’t want to worry either of them since she knew how worried Tucker would get about her. She told him time and time again that she was more than capable of looking after herself but he still thought that one day she might face someone or something that even she couldn’t handle. She did find his concerns quite cute and she also thought that it was funny that someone who was so much smaller than her could be worried about her taking care of herself. For Dawn she was none the wiser and was just happy to see her mother whenever she could. Numerous times she had told her mother that when she grew up she wanted to be just like her.

  On this particular day Jessica was once again working but rather than being on a mission or completing some training she was taking part in a charity event at a local children’s hospital. She was there with Agent Daniels and Rogers helping to raise money and also allow the kids to be around people who they looked up to.

  Many of the agents even had action figures that they could buy and play with. Some of these figures would even replicate their superhuman abilities, for example Chloe’s figure could stretch just like she could but unfortunately not to her limits. The figures would be released in waves with around half a dozen figures per wave. In one particular wave each action figure came with a bonus Jessica part like an arm or a leg. If every figure in the wave was bought the owner would be able to build their own giant figure of Jessica. Although her size was not to scale since the regular figures were around six inches tall and her figure stood at just over a foot it was still much taller than the regular figures. This made it still show that Jessica was a giantess.

  Many of the kids at the hospital owned such figures although not many of them had collected the entire wave to build the Jessica figure. Nonetheless they were still happy with the ones that they had. It was mainly the boys that had these figures although there were some toys out there for girls. The proceeds from the sales was split into two, half of them would go into Park Incorporated’s R&D department while the other went to charitable ventures such as this hospital. The agents didn’t mind this since the money was going to a good cause and they were already making a decent wage at the company.

  Jessica stood outside of the hospital with her hand opened up as if she was holding someone. There was no one in her hand but she only had to wait a few moments before Agent Rogers appeared out of nowhere. He had a young boy with him and the boy looked in awe at the face of Jessica. She gave him a pleasant smile and despite her size he was not afraid of her, in fact she was his favourite agent.

  “Hi there,” said Jessica in a pleasant voice. “I’m so glad I could meet you, I’ve heard that you’re being a brave boy.” The boy was very shy and just nodded at her. “That’s good, the doctors are doing everything to make you feel better again. You’ll be able to go home and be with your family and friends again. I know that being in a hospital might be scary but believe me the men and women who run it are some of the nicest people you could ever meet. Maybe when you’re better we can see each other again. Would you like that?” He nodded at her again but his shyness prevented him from speaking. “Good, now I’ve heard you’ve got some treatment to get back to, it was really fun meeting you and I can’t wait to see you better once again.

   Jessica moved her other hand closer to the boy so that she could give him a high five style farewell but instead he began to hug her finger. There were some tears in his eyes and for the moment she did nothing to stop him. She accepted that it was a scary time for him and meeting one of his favourite heroes was an eventful moment for him. She didn’t need to wait long before the boy let go. She still said her goodbyes to him as Agent Rogers teleported him away. She was somewhat sad to see him go but if he didn’t have his treatment he would die. She truly did hope that he would recover but from what she was told the chances were not all that great.

  Jessica sat by the building and she began to think for a few moments. For now she had a little time to herself and although she was more than thrilled to take part in events like this but when she looked at the children she knew that some of them would die from their conditions. She found this to be incredibly sad and since she had become a mother she found it even sadder. She couldn’t imagine losing Dawn at such a young age but unfortunately this is something that many mothers on Earth and even on Home went through the same thing every day.

  A sudden explosion in the distance broke her out of her little trance and she looked up to see smoke coming from a distance. She felt the ground shake a little and some glass shattering as the shockwave from the explosion caused nearby windows to break. Quickly she stood up to her full height but she still couldn’t see where the explosion had come from due to the size of the buildings around her. Even though she was a towering giantess the building still dwarfed her completely. Almost instantly the emergency signal went off on her VSC device. Not wasting any time she pressed the button and opened up the communications.

  “Agent Snape we’ve just detected a large explosion close your location,” said a voice. It was one of Jessica’s superiors and although for the moment she didn’t recognise who it was but for now it didn’t matter.

  “Yeah I heard it,” replied Jessica. At first she thought that it had been some kind of tragic accident. “I can’t see where the explosion came from but I can certainly see some smoke from where I’m standing.”

  “Unfortunately you and the other agents are going to have to cut fundraiser short today. You, Rogers and Daniels are to investigate immediately and report back. We’ve already alerted the emergency services.”

  “Ok we’ll check it out as soon as possible. Snape out.” She pressed the button again before pressing a series of buttons which opened up communication channels with Agents Rogers and Daniels. “Guys this is Agent Snape I know that you heard that explosion, H.Q has ordered us to investigate immediately. Unfortunately we’re going to have to rearrange this little fundraiser.”

  Jessica had to wait less than a minute for Agent Rogers to teleport onto her hand. He had teleported Agent Daniels along with him and at this point Rogers knew that making a joke wasn’t in good taste. They knew that there was a good chance of injuries or worse, the sooner they got there the more people that they could help.

  No sooner had all three of the agents met up Jessica made her way towards where they had heard the blast. She did feel guilty about cutting the fundraiser short but this was an emergency. She promised herself that she would make it up to the kids as soon as she could but for now they had other problems to contend with.

  As usual Jessica took great care as she made her way through the city. Despite the fact that it had happened two centuries before she could still remember her first training session where she had to travel through a holographic city. She had caused more destruction than she would like to admit and the last thing she wanted to do was to do that in the real world. She was a lot more careful now and to date thankfully she hadn’t caused any destruction or injuries by simply walking in the city.

  With her size it only took Jessica a couple of minutes to bring her two fellow agents to the site of the explosion. There seemed to be a large crater where some kind of explosion had taken place. It almost looked like a warzone but there was something that Agent Rogers in particular noticed. He teleported to the area around the crater and he couldn’t see a single person. There were a few vehicles but if they had not been in the air and simply fallen they showed no damage.

  The street was one that was normally busy and the fact that it was completely empty was eerie. Even if an explosion had taken place there would have been evidence of people who had been caught in the blast radius. Unfortunately it would mean dead or dying people but here there was nothing.

  Jessica gasped after she had seen what had happened but she was distracted for the moment as Agent Rogers teleported back onto her hand right next to Agent Daniels who had been observing the area. Both he and Jessica thought that could be dying people all around them but they feared that they had already died.

  “Ok this might sound completely weird but I’ve just had a quick sweep of the area and I couldn’t see a single person,” said Agent Rogers. “I’ve seen abandoned cars and even shopping bags on the ground but no sign of anyone.”

  “They could have been disintegrated?” replied Agent Daniels. He knew what he was suggesting was a bit macabre but he knew that it was a likely scenario. “Or maybe the blast just destroyed their bodies?”

  “I don’t think so. Even if one of those two things did happen they would be some evidence that they were there. There isn’t any evidence there whatsoever, it is literally like everyone here just vanished.” He then pointed down towards the ground towards a crashed car. “That car there had been flying through the air, then suddenly the driver disappeared and if fell to the ground. If it had been an explosion that car would most likely have been blown away as well. The only damage that it has is from when it impacted the ground, there is no burn marks here or anywhere.”

  “What does that mean?” replied Jessica. She was getting very worried. If it had been a plain explosion she could easily explain that away and even get the company to begin the normal procedures for an explosion. This seemed to be something completely different and she didn’t think that it was going to be something straight forward. She felt that something more sinister was taking place.  

  “I have no idea but I seriously think we should call in back-up.” He was truly scared and Jessica had never seen him like this before. She always remembered him as a happy person with a smile constantly on his face.

  “I’ll call it in,” replied Agent Daniels as he pressed one of the buttons on his VSC so he could radio back to headquarters. “HQ this is Agent Daniels do you read me?” He paused for a moment but all he got was static. “HQ come in.” There was still static and it only deepened the suspense. “I can’t get through.”

  “What’s going on around here?” asked Jessica. She turned around to try and walk away, she decided that it would be best to try and get help but before she could get far she ran into what seemed to be an invisible wall. It had caught her by surprise and she struck her head against it. It even knocked Agent Daniels and Rogers out of her hand but both of them could easily get to the ground safely. Agent Rogers teleported himself down while Agent Daniels just let himself fall. He did strike the ground hard but he just got back up without any injuries. Jessica was knocked down on the ground and when she landed there was a small tremor that took place.

  The sudden impact had caught Jessica more by surprise than anything else. She got back up to her feet relatively quickly and took a few steps towards what she had struck. She could feel the invisible wall in front of her and she tried to push against it. She did quickly look down to see if her fellow agents were alright. She was glad to see that they had gotten to the ground safely.

  With that worry out of the way Jessica struck the invisible wall as hard as she could but it didn’t seem to do anything. This surprised her since she didn’t think that there was anything that she could break through. She tried several more times to break through the wall but there was nothing that she could do. There was even an electronic feedback on her last attempt and it sent a shock right through her body. It made her jump back and scream in pain but thankfully the sensation didn’t last for long.

  “What in all that make sense is that?” asked Jessica as she began to recover from her electric shock. It was almost like nothing that she had felt before, she had unfortunately felt a couple of electric shocks over her life but this one felt different. It went deeper into her body and hurt her on a level that her body couldn’t really endure.

  “I have no idea,” replied Agent Daniels. He stepped towards the invisible wall, he did contemplate striking it like Jessica had but he knew that their strengths were roughly on the same level and if she couldn’t break through he doubted that he could either. “It seems to be some kind of invisible wall. I know that sounds crazy but that’s exactly what I’m feeling right now.” He quickly turned his head towards Agent Rogers who was standing a short distance away from him. “Rogers teleport to the other side and tell the others at HQ exactly what’s happening.”

  Agent Rogers nodded his head and a split second later he disappeared but he reappeared in the same spot before either agents could blink. They were both standing by Jessica’s enormous foot, both she and Agent Daniels were surprised to see Agent Rogers reappearing there just like that. They watched as he disappeared again only to reappear almost as soon as he left. He looked down at his hands before looking back at Agent Daniels. There was a worried look on the face of the normally happy agent.

  “I can’t teleport myself out of here,” said Agent Rogers with some amount of surprise in his voice. “I don’t know how to explain it but there’s something that’s preventing me from getting out of here.”

  “If this is some kind of joke Agent Rogers now is really not the time,” replied Agent Daniels who didn’t believe what he was being told.

  “I’m not joking Daniels. There’s something that’s preventing me from teleporting outside of this wall. I can’t explain it but it’s like something is keeping us inside.” They could see what seemed to be a person trying to make their way towards them but the wall kept them from coming inside. This person had only been a member of the general public and not a member of the emergency services.

  “And from the looks of it keeping everyone else out,” replied Jessica as she looked down at the man who was trying to get inside. Not too far behind him were other vehicles which were on their way. Thankfully the agents were able to signal the vehicles about the wall and they soon stopped in their tracks.

  Jessica had a nagging feeling that she was going to be in for some kind of fight and that was something that she didn’t particularly look forward to. In this area the large buildings restricted her movement and she would not just have to worry about property damage but also about where everyone had gone. She knew that a section of the city couldn’t just be abandoned like this.

  “Whatever’s going on here we won’t find out just by standing by this wall,” said Agent Daniels. “There are numerous other streets and alleys leading in and out of this region. Find them and see if we can find an exit.”

 Over the next several minutes the agents began to systematically check out each exit of the square and unfortunately each street and alleyway was blocked by this so called invisible wall. Throughout the entirety of their search they had not come across another living soul. The place was completely deserted and there was an eerie silence as the normal sounds of everyday life was vacant. Each time they reached a wall they could see people trying to get through and even a couple of crashed vehicles. All of them were trying to get through but unfortunately none of them were succeeding.

  After several minutes the agents met back up at the crater which that had originally found. A couple more times they tried to communicate with headquarters but each time they only got static.

  “Just what is going on here?” asked Jessica who was now sitting down with her legs crossed. Her two fellow agents stood on her left side. Her question was more out of panic rather than a general question. She could feel that there was something very sinister that was going to be taking place at any moment. “We can’t get out, no one can get in and we can’t communicate with HQ. Worse of all there’s no people here, it’s like they simply disappeared into thin air.”

  “I wish I had answers for you Agent Snape but I feel that whoever is responsible for this has us exactly where they want us,” replied Agent Daniels. “I hate to admit it but the only thing we can do is sit tight and wait for whoever is responsible to make their next move. I know it is frustrating but that’s unfortunately all we can do.”

  “I can’t just sit here and do nothing.” To her it was so much easier when there was someone she could hit to solve a problem like this. Her mind thought about Tamsin but she knew that she was not the one responsible. Tamsin was still in suspended animation in a top secret location and even if she had escaped she was not the most subtle of people. “I refuse to sit around and just wait for something terrible to happen. I didn’t become an agent just to watch people get hurt.” She quickly stood up to her full height and here was some frustration in her voice. “There are hundreds if not thousands of people who have gone missing and we’re trapped here as if we’re some kind of cage. I refuse to wait for whoever is responsible to show themselves. I’m going to take action now.” She looked all around and even up towards the sky. “Whoever you are show yourselves right now! The more you hide the worse that you’re gonna make it for yourself.”

  “You may get what you wish soon,” replied a computerised voice. This was heard by Jessica and the other agents who all looked around to see where the voice was coming from. They couldn’t see anyone or anything. It took a few moments before a gigantic holographic image appeared right in front of them. It was the same height as Jessica and it was in the shape of Omega. This caught the agents completely by surprise and they thought that they were just moments away from being attacked. “It was unlikely to see you get frustrated Agent Snape. You are amongst one of the most even tempered agents, I will have to adjust my data on you.”

  “Who… what are you?” By this point Agent Rogers had teleported himself and Agent Daniels onto Jessica’s shoulder. At least then they would be able to see what was actually going on.

  “My name and origin are of no consequence for you. All you need to know about me is that I am your destruction. I was solely created to destroy you Agent Snape and anyone who happened to be in the way.”

  “But why? What have I ever done to you?” She was truly confused since she had never seen Omega before and she didn’t know what his name was.

  “That is none of your concern.” Its words were quick and to the point. It was eerie how it showed no emotions whatsoever.

  “Where are all those people that were here?” Her anger began to ignite and she clenched her fist to try and calm herself down. She would have loved nothing that to strike Omega but she knew that it was only a hologram so striking it would have been futile and it would even make her look foolish. “If you’ve killed them I will not stop hunting you down until you are brought to justice.” She pointed towards Omega and she didn’t shy away with showing her anger.

  “Those people are perfectly safe. I have them at my location now. The little blast that you heard was actually a teleportation field which only affected organic beings. For now they will continue to function but I am merely keeping them to have some leverage over you. As you can see you are trapped there and it is impossible for you to receive any assistance. All communications inside and outside of your zone is impossible. The barriers that have been erected prevent anyone or anything from entering or leaving. You three are on your own and although I didn’t exactly calculate that you would be accompanied by Agents Daniels and Rogers it still doesn’t matter. All three of you will cease to function before nightfall and my programming will be completed. To keep you occupied before my arrival I am sending you something that’ll be more than a distraction.”

  The hologram faded away and Jessica tried to make Omega come back but she knew that it was a doomed effort. She was getting more frustrated by the second but she was able to keep her emotions in check. She was glad to know that the missing people were still alive but she did wonder if Omega had simply been lying to her. It wouldn’t be the first time that it happened to her and it certainly wouldn’t be the last. She did feel powerless but she also wondered just why Omega wanted her destroyed.

  Jessica didn’t have time to ponder too much as saw numerous small vortexes open up all around the agents. Right after that they saw machine like objects make their way through the vortexes. These machines included numerous drones much like the ones that had attacked Jessica previously. Many of the other machines were small tank like vehicles which were either built with machine guns or explosive rounds. There were even some small humanoid looking machines who were simply carrying guns but despite that they were still made out of a very strong metal. It made them highly resistant to damage and very difficult to be destroyed.

  By the end of the gathering there was close to two hundred individual units of machines. They were mainly targeted at Jessica although they didn’t ignore the other agents. It was going to be a fairly large showdown but the agents were still confused with what was happening but one thing they knew for sure was that they were going to be in for the fight of their lives.

  Without giving any warning the machines began to open fire at the agents. Jessica grabbed gent Rogers and tried to shield him in her hands since she knew that he didn’t have the same durability as her and Agent Daniels. She could feel as each laser bullet struck her and despite her powers they still hurt her. She tried to block all this out as she felt Agent Daniels leap off her shoulder and land right on top of one of the tanks. It created a large hole in the tank and he began to topple over any tanks that got too close to him. He was struck by many of the bullets but like Jessica he could endure.

  To take respite from the attack Jessica quickly took cover behind a large building. She was thankful for Home’s extremely tall buildings and it helped her recover from the attack. She couldn’t instantly heal like Agent Daniels could but she could still take a lot of punishment before falling.

  “Get out of here now!” demanded Jessica to Agent Rogers who was still being shielded in her hand. “This place is too dangerous for you.”

  “No I’m gonna stay and fight,” replied Agent Rogers who didn’t want to leave one of his best friends. He knew that she wouldn’t abandon him and he was willing to stand by her no matter the risk.

  “This isn’t up for debate. Daniels and I can endure this but you can, just one hit and you’ll be dead. Believe me I really don’t want to tell your family that you fell.” She didn’t want him to be hurt and she meant every word that she said.

  “And I won’t abandon you. I’m not some kind of rookie agent or a junior. I have been a fully qualified agent for some years now and I’m more than capable of looking after myself. I appreciate your concern Jess I really do but this is exactly what I signed up for. And besides where am I going to go? If you haven’t forgotten we can’t leave. I know what I’m doing Jessica and you don’t have to worry about me. I can look after myself.”

  Jessica thought for a few moments and she still remembered when she first met him as a junior agent. Even back then he was a joker and many of the agents didn’t have the patience to train him. She had been the only one who had the patience to give him the proper training that he needed. Like before she was stern with him but this only made him flourish until he rightfully earned his position and has been proving worthy ever since. She gave a sigh as she knew that she couldn’t change his mind.

  “Ok Peter but be careful,” said Jessica. The pain from her wounds were subsiding and thankfully they were not anything that would slow her down. “You know how I worry about you.”