- Text Size +

“I just want a hug.”

Those words had been enough to bring Barry to see his old friend Kathy. They’d known each other since they were kids, and each had always been there for the other, even when they lived in different states. When she said that, he knew he had to be there for her.

Especially since what had happened to her.

Kathy had been involved in a freak accident 10 days ago. She had begun to grow out of control, adding 50 percent to the previous day’s height every 24 hours. It still hadn’t stopped when he called, and it had been so many days now.

They’d been in touch daily, at first by phone. Barry had gone to Kathy after only a few days when she needed him, after her boyfriend had dumped her. He had been astounded by her height then, and she was only about 15 feet tall when he saw her.

They had hugged then, and he remembered the feeling as being the most awesome of his life. The powerful yet gentle hug of his friend, transformed into a fit and well-built giantess, had been a moment of total joy for him, especially in that it comforted her. But he had to leave to go back to his job. 

That was only a week ago. But, in that seven days, Kathy’s growth had not abated. Now she was now about 200 feet tall. If her growth didn’t stop, she would add another 100 feet to that by tomorrow, and 150 feet the next day. 

Barry was worried as he drove up to the site doctors had cordoned off to monitor Kathy. He could see her from here, towering above everything and everybody. He suddenly realized that people would only be about the size of large insects to her. 

Barry sat in the car, staring out at Kathy. The makeshift bikini she wore was clearly becoming too small already. Soon they wouldn’t be able to keep her clothed; she’d just be too big. She must be hurting terribly, especially because she was unimaginably lonely, even in a crowd of doctors, nurses and scientists.

But he was so small to her now. How could he hug her?

Barry smiled as he saw Kathy look in his direction. He smiled more broadly when she realized she had recognized his car. When she started to run toward him, he flung the car open without a second thought. Kathy needed him, and she was glad to see him.

The ground was shaking from Kathy’s footsteps as she approached. Barry was nearly knocked off his feet. Kathy must have noticed, because she slowed to a walk, worried for what her footfalls might do to her friend. 

Kathy stood about 30 feet from Barry. The skyscraper-sized woman was an impressive sight. Her muscles were more defined, and her bustline more pronounced, than when he had seen her last. And she was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.

Barry put his arm behind his head. “I’m here to give you that hug, if I can figure out how.” 

“I’ll help.” Kathy’s whisper sounded like a hurricane. 

Kathy lowered her hand, gently placing it on the ground beside Barry. He climbed onto the tip of her index finger. Once he was centered, she slowly lifted him all the way up to her face, placing her finger next to her face with him still standing atop it. 

Barry walked to Kathy’s cheek and spread out his arms, giving her cheek a full-body hug.

He realized gallons of water were flowing past him. He could smell the salt from where he stood. Kathy was crying. 

“Kathy, what’s wrong?" 

“No one has hugged me since you did.” Kathy struggled to keep her massive voice to a whisper. “No one else who said they were my friends, who said they loved me, has been with me. Not even my family. They’re all afraid of how big I am, of how big I’m going to get.” 

Barry thought for a moment, trying to precisely say what he meant. “I’m afraid for what will happen to you, but I’m not afraid for me.”

Kathy slowly pulled her finger in front of her to where she could see Barry. “Stay with me. Please.”

Barry smiled. “Of course. Where else would I be?” 

In what seemed to Barry to be an impulse, Kathy pressed him to her left breast. He could feel her heart beating through the soft, warm skin. In a physical sense, it was the biggest hug he’d ever experienced.

But Barry knew there was a stronger hug between him and Kathy. There was a bond of genuine caring. The mere act of being together had become a hug for them now. And that hug would go on as long as she needed it; after all, where else would he be?