- Text Size +

LIndholm Ladies

Standing in the doorway to her mother’s room, arms folded under her breasts, a determined expression on her pretty face, “I’m coming along,” Jess stated bluntly, angling her head to the side as if to emphasize the seriousness of her statement.

Lina smiled, “To what are you referring dear?” she inquired, brushing her luxurious blonde hair.

“Tom,” Jess replied, “Janine said you were going over to the nurse’s house and I’m going to come along,” she stated, adamant.

“Yes, we are going over there, but to offer Cassidy the opportunity to care for your sister in the wake of her accident, that’s all,” Lina stated, pausing in her brushing.

“I want to see him,” she said.

Letting out a breath, Lina set the hairbrush atop the vanity and turned in her chair to more directly face her eldest daughter, “We’ve had this discussion. I have no problem with you coming along, but you must realize, there is no guarantee you are going to see him. Be prepared for that,” she advised. She could easily see the fervor in her daughter’s intent, undoubtedly antagonized by Janine.

“I certainly won’t get any chance if I’m stuck here,” she replied. “I only want a chance to see him.”

“Fair enough,” Lina answered with a smile. Inwardly, she doubted just seeing Tom would satisfy the girl. “Make sure you’re ready because we will be leaving within the hour.”

Jess nodded, ebullient smile on her pretty face.

Forty-five minutes later, standing outside Cassidy’s apartment, Lina flanked by her daughters, Jessica to her left, Janine to her right, pushed the small white button next to Cassidy’s apartment number.

“Did you forget your key?” asked Cassidy.

“Sorry, it’s Lina Lindolm,” she replied, leaning forward to speak into the microphone.

“Oh,” there was a pause, “okay,” Cassidy said, followed by the lock buzzing on the door.

Going into the building through the security door, the trio went to Cassidy’s apartment, Lina knocked.

Opening the door, seeing Jess and Janine, Cassidy immediately frowned, “I didn’t realize you were bringing your children,” she said, shaking her head, eyes locked onto Janine.

Recognizing the look, Lina stifled a grin. She had noticed how Janine had an effect on most other females, as if her perfection somehow highlighted the natural flaws in others and bred insecurity. Even she herself felt it standing beside the girl, her waist a little thicker, breasts a little less perky. “Apologies,” she said. “May we come in?” she inquired.

Cassidy stepped back for the door, “Of course, would anyone care for something to drink? Coffee, tea?

“Tea? Yes that would be nice,” Lina said stepping into the apartment. “Janine you know, but this is my other daughter Jessica,” she introduced. “Jessica this is Cassidy.”

Jessica smiled and nodded, eyes meeting the nurse’s before darting about.

“Nice to meet you,” Cassidy said, returning the nod, slight frown pulling at the corners of her mouth. Collecting their jackets, she led the women into the dining area of her apartment, offering them a chance to sit before stepping into the kitchen.

“Am I to presume this is not simply social call?” she asked, tone neutral, removing the small red enameled teapot from the burner on her stovetop and walking over to the sink, placing it under the faucet.

“I spoke with Dr. Goodrich, the hospital’s director yesterday, he’s a friend of an acquaintance,” Lina informed warmly.

Turning on the water, “Oh?” Cassidy replied, knowing this could only be about Tom. They wanted him. Was she going to use her money as a club to browbeat her?

“Yes, a very amiable man,” Lina said.

Having filled the teapot two thirds full, she put it back on the stove and turned on the element, “I know who he is of course, though I don’t see him much down in emergency,” she said, retrieving four ceramic mugs from the cupboard. What was the angle?

“So we’re big girls here, so I’ll cut to the chase. The purpose of this visit here this morning was to invite you into a personal services contract, for you to work for me to care for my ‘daughter’ during her convalescence. What it really does is provide you an opportunity to be able to care for Tom and get paid in the process,” she stated.

Cassidy shook her head. “I’m not sure I understand,” she said, returning to the kitchen and setting the mugs on the table.

“Speaking of Tom,” interrupted Jessica, smile on her face, “I would love a chance to get to meet him,” she stated.

“Jessica,” Lina admonished.

“No, I was just saying since we were here, maybe I could see him is all,” Jessica replied, spreading her hands apart.

Janine wore a subtle smile on her too pretty face.

“As I was saying,” Lina stated, stopping when she saw the scowl spreading across Jessica’s face. Rolling her eyes, “Well I guess there’s no harm in bringing Tom out, I mean after all it is his wellbeing we are really talking about,” she said.

Cassidy smiled, the pot on the stove begin to make some noise though was still far from boiling. “He’s not here at the moment,” she said, getting up from the table and returning to the kitchen.

“Not here?” Janine questioned, eyes narrowing.

“Not here?” Lina said, raising a placatory hand to both girls.

“That’s right,” Cassidy said, turning her head to look at the table.

“Where is he?” Jessica demanded, irked expression on her face.

“Quiet Jessica, I’m sure Cassidy knows where he is and that he is safe,” she said, “that’s what matters here,” she added, trying to maintain the smile on her face.

Cassidy nodded, “He’s safe,” she assured. She trusted Katie.

“When will he be back? He is coming back?” Jessica asked, looking form the nurse to her mother.

Lina shook her head, “This doesn’t change the original purpose that brought me over today. Like I said, if you accept the contract, the hospital is willing to oblige. It’s up to you. The wage scale would be the same as you draw from the hospital plus an additional fifty percentage as well as additional expenses that may be incurred,” she clarified.

It was a very generous offer and Cassidy understood the whole point of the contract was to facilitate access to Tom, whether for the mother or the daughters, either way, it afforded them leverage over her. So far, they were being very civil. What might happen if she decided to decline? To what depths might this woman sink to get what she wanted?

While she contemplated the offer, the kettle on the stove started to boil.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please feel free to share a review, provide some feedback, or lust leave a comment. It is always appreciated and motivating. Thanks for taking the time to read this story!